Sign in to follow this  
Rewhymo

Aiming Deadzone and 4 levels of grenade tossing.

Arma 3 has a great example of aiming deadzone. Go to 1:05. I'd suggest not giving people the options of turning this off. this way kills are purely skill based. obviously the crosshair would not be on.

As for the 4 levels of grenade throwing. I'd suggest level 1 is standard. press G for a quick grenade toss. level 2-4 would be pulling your grenade out and holding it your hand. when held (level2) its just like level 1 just a regular toss. if you mouse wheel down (level 3) your character would hold the grenade palm facing up for a short underhand toss. from level 2 is you mouse wheel up (level 4) he would hold the grenade palm down. In this mode you will do a running throw that goes much further then the Level 2 toss.

Edited by Rewhymo

6 minutes ago, Rewhymo said:

Arma 3 has a great example of aiming deadzone. Go to 1:05. I'd suggest not giving people the options of turning this off. this way kills are purely skill based. obviously the crosshair would not be on.

As for the 4 levels of grenade throwing. I'd suggest level 1 is standard. press G for a quick grenade toss. level 2-4 would be pulling your grenade out and holding it your hand. when held (level2) its just like level 1 just a regular toss. if you mouse wheel down (level 3) your character would hold the grenade palm facing up for a short underhand toss. from level 2 is you mouse wheel up (level 4) he would hold the grenade palm down. In this mode you will do a running throw that goes much further then the Level 2 toss.

The grenade tossing has already been under discussion, search on the forum.

Edited by Europoor

While there is not an aiming deadzone similar to ArmA (optional) or RO2 (mandatory), you'll notice in Dev Diary #1 and the Action Gameplay Trailer that the weapons actually do have momentum when swung around. Recoil and/or moving rapidly causes your point of aim to leave the center of the screen, whether sights up or not, which provides almost the exact same functionality as the aiming deadzone. And, in fact, works even better than the aiming deadzone, as ArmA has almost zero sight alignment wobble, though the entire platform does bounce around as you aim/move.

You can see this demonstrated specifically at 1:49 and 2:12 in the action trailer (linked below at the first timestamp). Given that rapid movement (either player or recoil-induced) can push your sights out of alignment and your point of aim out of alignment with the center of the screen, I don't believe that any further modification is needed to prevent insta-hipfire or "hit sights > fire during transition animation and hit dead center" style engagements. It also prevents the frustrating situations where I need to rapidly turn to a direction and instead just wave my rifle across half of the screen before I can actually see where I want to go.

I think that because it's already so hard to shoot precisely at long distances, free-floating deadzone aiming would be a wonderfully fitting addition.

If you want to make it feel more natural, copy Day of Infamy, they do it right.

Edited by Wilddog73

On 3/7/2016 at 8:49 AM, Starlight said:

While there is not an aiming deadzone similar to ArmA (optional) or RO2 (mandatory), you'll notice in Dev Diary #1 and the Action Gameplay Trailer that the weapons actually do have momentum when swung around. Recoil and/or moving rapidly causes your point of aim to leave the center of the screen, whether sights up or not, which provides almost the exact same functionality as the aiming deadzone. And, in fact, works even better than the aiming deadzone, as ArmA has almost zero sight alignment wobble, though the entire platform does bounce around as you aim/move.

You can see this demonstrated specifically at 1:49 and 2:12 in the action trailer (linked below at the first timestamp). Given that rapid movement (either player or recoil-induced) can push your sights out of alignment and your point of aim out of alignment with the center of the screen, I don't believe that any further modification is needed to prevent insta-hipfire or "hit sights > fire during transition animation and hit dead center" style engagements. It also prevents the frustrating situations where I need to rapidly turn to a direction and instead just wave my rifle across half of the screen before I can actually see where I want to go.

I think you need to go play Day of Infamy and learn about what you're talkin' about. x)

The ACE(Advanced Combat Environment) Mod for ArmA 3 had a simple grenade toss system, using CTRL plus two other keys to cycle more or less power in the throw.

Personally, I'm not a fan of using CTRL + other keys to adjust something, I think using CTRL/Other keys + Scroll wheel is a more fluid design!

On 3/20/2017 at 5:28 PM, Wilddog73 said:

I think you need to go play Day of Infamy and learn about what you're talkin' about. x)

Just to point out - that post was made a full year ago (Posted March 7, 2016), before we even hit alpha; and also at the time DoI was in /very/ early stages.

On 3/22/2017 at 4:24 AM, Starlight said:

Just to point out - that post was made a full year ago (Posted March 7, 2016), before we even hit alpha; and also at the time DoI was in /very/ early stages.

And have you played DoI yet?

Edited by Wilddog73

On 2016-03-06 at 0:22 PM, Rewhymo said:

If you hotbar your grenades you can do a different toss than the regular one. It's kind of like the underhand toss