MangoGP

bad sound engine..

Yeah I totally agree. Even out in the open in Woods or Customs I am most of the time unable to tell the direction and/or distance of gunfire. Even worse with approaching players.

I play two different setups: Beyerdynamic 880 DT (Stereo) + Creative Soundblaster ZRX and a Logitech G633 (7.1) USB on my notebook. It is equally bad.

Edited by EndEffeKt
typo

I've got a Soundblaster Recon 3D and a Sennheiser HD518 headset, always had great sound in games and could easily pinpoint where it was coming from, as well as estimate the range.

After 40+ raids, this game still keeps me guessing. Died a couple times to people that I could swear I heard coming from another direction, vertically as well. Sound could definitely use some improvement.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:25 AM, blake213 said:

I completely agree. Coming from PUBG where the sound is polished this seemed so so broken to me. Absolute silence and than all of a sudden a running player is 1 ft from you with a knife. Just felt like a big mess sound wise.

Hahahahhahaah

Pubg polished sound...

HAVE YOU HEARD THE CARS MATE?!

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, Quo said:

Hahahahhahaah

Pubg polished sound...

HAVE YOU HEARD THE CARS MATE?!

Maybe reading would be key here. We are talking about bullet sounds and foot step sounds. Both work damn well in pubg.

yea, sounds are decent but their sound positioning is poo.  Should take lessons from DICE's sound engineer.  

anyway, use this poo engine to your advantage, have a mate Sprint non stop into a wall and use that noise to duck people.  works like a charm because everyone is so nervous about losing their gear I just hatchet them in the face as they panic.

Confirm of that hatchet backstabbing you suddenly. It's so annoying when you take your top gear and.... In real life it's just impossible to be absolutely quietly so quickly approach to the enemy. Sound. Please Devs, change something with this thing! I beg you...Please. Sounds...

I have people running around full sprint and not making any noise at all...  i think the sound in this game needs a heavy patch

I agree, sound positioning is really bad or bugged. I am on ASUS Xonar D2X. Sound from this card is like damned X-ray in other games, I just know exactly where someone is in Battlefield 1, PUBG, CS, even flatsounded CoD.

Playing FPS games since Original Doom from 1995, the way I learned to process sound in FPS'es over 20+ years is an integral part of how I perform. Positioning is confusing me greatly in EFT and I agree it cannot be released in current form. I have issues with distance and height positioning - above/under . Left/right/front/rear - no issues at all.

Other issue is that sometimes it sounds like the sounds are not being played fully, like they are being cut short to play next sound, like things get stuck in the pipeline and they are getting chopped to allow another thing to move through the pipe altogether with other sounds played at the same time. Experienced this only on Factory

The quality of samples and their detail is great, really good job on this. I actually like the quality of sounds very much (I cannot wait for high calibre revolvers :D). I am worried that engine limitations are the cause of positioning issues.

I'm on i7OC'ed to 4.2GHz and GTX980 no framerate issues. Audio on 8 channels @96kHz, Fully updated genuine Windows 10 Pro.

Edited by cruxer666
  • Upvote 1

Gotta agree, sound engine definitely needs some(much) tweaking. Sounds itself are great but directional/sound distance is most confusing i have ever experienced. Together with server desync this game is pretty much unplayable for me at it´s current state. Long as these problems remain, "hatchet running" is the only way for me to play this game.

I don't know, for the most part the sounds are pretty damn good except for when entering and exiting buildings.  The sound is not fluid at all and is really takes from the ambience of the game.  

I particularly do not like the constant bass noise that you get when inside a building. This is most prevalent with Factory. I truly don't understand why there needs to be a constant "whombbbbbbbbbb" while inside a structure.

I've staved off commenting about the sound engine for as long as possible but today was the last straw with it!

Whenever there are players running around you, their footsteps sometimes are so inaudible even when they are right next to you its unreal, seriously, I killed a scav in Factory, got his gear, ran behind cover to the right of the main exfil just search for the mags to the Makarov, next thing I know, I hear distant footsteps sprinting and they sounded like they were coming from near the 3 story stairs, I was hidden so I didn't worry (P.S I made sure no one else was camping behind) 

The metal creaked and it still didn't sound like it was right behind me, next thing I know, I've been killed by a hatcheter because the damn sound engine and footsteps are so inconsistent, it really needs to be reworked because when a player can sprint behind you and jump on metal and it still sounds like its 3 miles away, it really doesn't help one bit, I get it, its a Beta but still, this problem is beyond irritating, its digging away at my patience because I do enjoy this game when the sounds and gameplay work well, the inconsistency is just the one thing that is keeping me from enjoying it all the time!

I love this game but the inconsistency is starting to take its toll. Fix the sound, fix the scav. Shouldnt be able to run up on someone and stab them in the back running over metal. Scavs shouldnt be able to 180 headshot a player from any distance. I get that the devs want the game to be difficult but I dont think this is what they had in mind. I know its a "beta" but it shouldnt take a normal patch schedule to fix such glaring issues.

The sounds are great. The only thing that i have trouble with is figuring out if the sound comes from above, below or same level as me. The direction is not an issue, height is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Esso said:

The sounds are great. The only thing that i have trouble with is figuring out if the sound comes from above, below or same level as me. The direction is not an issue, height is.

I had that problem until i started remembering what sounds it made when i was walking on those surfaces. My problem now is that some people just aren't making any sound at all. They might as well be floating and I have had it happen on a number of different surfaces.

Honestly i am the worst person to share with experiences in this regard as i am unable to play in any meaningful way. I have been lurking around the forums and subreddit reminding everyone that Asia servers are STILL not launched and playing on Russian servers from Thailand or Singapore is literal suicide. Might aswell just ALT+F4 and give your gear to hatchlings. So no escaping for me until Battlestate pulls out a finger.

Perhaps if we knew what affected sound? Direction, open spaces, verticality and how the influence the volume.

Right now you can hear gunshots miles off as if they are next to you in an open map, and footsteps right next to you of a guy sprinting that are barely audible if hes below you but there is open space between him you and the staircase.

It's good because it always keeps me guessing and that is realistic. Sound irl isnt totally like CS where if you hear a single footstep you can pinpoint where somebody is through 10feet of wall. Unrealistic expectations of what we want the sound to be like might also figure here.

On 14/09/2017 at 7:59 AM, SwolePatrol said:

I particularly do not like the constant bass noise that you get when inside a building. This is most prevalent with Factory. I truly don't understand why there needs to be a constant "whombbbbbbbbbb" while inside a structure.

This is due to low quality of your sound card. Not the game. You basically hear 50Hz noise of the power supply because your card's amplifier is not shielded well enough. I know this because when my Sound plaster X-Fi died I used onboard crappy sound card for 3 days and I experienced this constant, very quiet background noise. Never will go back to onboard garbage. I have changed from Creative sound cards to Asus and never looked back, the quality of sound is the same - very good - but the software package seems to be smaller and not bugged. Creative had like 3 different things to install and then it would have a mind of it's own sometimes.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:16 AM, sherri77 said:

Dysnc makes sounds not work properly 

Not really. Sound is client related and desync is server related. Don't mix up entirely different topics (entirely different development teams).

2 hours ago, yuvalino said:

Not really. Sound is client related and desync is server related. Don't mix up entirely different topics (entirely different development teams).

sound is based on interaction between server and client. that's why people are reporting people appearing out of nowhere or gunfights happening close by but not really.

none of this is an issue in offline pve mode.

10 hours ago, cruxer666 said:

This is due to low quality of your sound card. Not the game. You basically hear 50Hz noise of the power supply because your card's amplifier is not shielded well enough.

It seems like you have no idea what you're talking about, also he is not referring to that but the background noise that is a part of the game. Personally I don't have a problem with it though.

On 9/13/2017 at 6:38 AM, cruxer666 said:

I'm on i7OC'ed to 4.2GHz and GTX980 no framerate issues. Audio on 8 channels @96kHz, Fully updated genuine Windows 10 Pro.

Ah, yes. Good you included that important detail. Now I know you're an expert on these things.

I have the same experience as Esso.

Ive also noticed that if you arent too close to people you can walk or even sprint not far from them without them hearing you. ( because ambience?) 

Or maybe sound is bugged but i think its fine most of the time actually.

I also hear bush sounds and stuff but got used to it kinda. think of it as real life, maybe a bird flew or something :P