weeping-pirate

We reproduced serverwide desync, also able to undo it. *CUSTOMS*

** VIDEO BELOW

Hey  there,

Due to alot of people complaining (rightfully so) about crazy desyncs, and our squad having desyncs almost every customs run. (70%  or more)
We decided to try and reproduce a desync (either player or server wide), we ended up with serverwide desync.
Our intention is not to do 100+ test runs to give you a statistics, we play this for fun, that would become work. Nontheless we are hoping to shine some light on the issue and mostly making this known to the devs as best as we can.

*  Majority  of the desync started for us after we started opening and specially CLOSING the shortcut (factory key door) on customs.
*  My personal desync mostly always happens when I close a door (server keeps going)
*  I've read about other peoples expierence with desync combined with closing doors.

So we figured it must have something to do with doors and in our case combined with the custom shortcut would be easiest to test.(since we basicly always get desync after passing the shortcut. And it did!

How to (rather how NOT to) desync

note : Quite often we are stuck waiting for desync to pass (crying in a corner), no clue how long it takes but often we've been waiting 10-20 min.

The following is all regarding CUSTOMS SHORTCUT (just infront of gas station)

* Closing doors behind us (same person both doors) causes the server to first slightly lag quickly building up to major desync  (this IS server wide! )
   This might take 30-60 seconds AFTER closing the doors.

* After some testing (and patience) we noticed when the big desync hits, it wont go away unless the one who closed the doors restarts and relogs.
  directly at  the point the door closer quits the game the game becomes playable for the others. (doesnt matter who closes the door).

* When the door closer reconnects his body teleports away and ALWAYS ends  up infront of the shortcut (even though every single time we passed it  by atleast 20-50 meters )
For us this was a hint towards a issue with closing the door. because nobody else will spawn there when they reconnect, only the one who closed the door!

*  Leaving the doors open after unlocking them causes no desync

I thank Cavedave,Fenrir and Zay for helping me testing.(video from zay <3 ,dont mind the audio)

***  The video shows how we just passed shortcut , cavedave closing doors. desync starts (very slightly ) straight away, building up to complete unplayable.
Until Cavedave quits the game, that second all desync issues are gone! This has been reproduced multiple times, not always ends up endless desync, sometimes the server stays playable but lag is noticeable. You see Zay switching items in his inventory this is how we test if the server is desyncing.

Edited by weeping-pirate
  • Upvote 49

My group and I have found similar results with the doors at the shortcut. A few days ago we noticed that we get a lot of desync the second we pass through shortcut and just started going around it/jumping over the wall instead to see if that's actually the issue, had no major desync issues on customs since then.

1 minute ago, HandsomeNipple said:

My group and I have found similar results with the doors at the shortcut. A few days ago we noticed that we get a lot of desync the second we pass through shortcut and just started going around it/jumping over the wall instead to see if that's actually the issue, had no major desync issues on customs since then.

sweet, keep the post coming let it be known! PS: its serverwide, so if anyone goes through there EVERYONE will desync in the whole server, until the one that closes the door leaves or your lucky enough that the server catches up after to many minutes.

While it sound unlikely as a bug, i find it very plausible from experience.

Except from Shoreline, i don't really unlock or close doors there, but i still experience some pretty heavy Desync.

And there is a little desync if there is a player scav is spawning (100%) SURE

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Misjah said:

While it sound unlikely as a bug, i find it very plausible from experience.

Except from Shoreline, i don't really unlock or close doors there, but i still experience some pretty heavy Desync.

unlikely a bug ? I can '' kill a server '' right now if i want to. Thats not intended for sure. multiple groups have encountered this , we personally have encountered this over 50 times , its deff a bug. And ( i know its a long post lol ) as i wrote , its serverwide. So when my m8s opens and closes the door at the shortcut in customs everyone in that map lags... has nothing to do with anyone else.

Edited by weeping-pirate

1 minute ago, weeping-pirate said:

unlikely a bug ? I can '' kill a server '' right now if i want to. Thats not intended for sure. multiple groups have encountered this , we personally have encountered this over 50 times , its deff a bug. And ( i know its a long post lol ) as i wrote , its serverwide. So when my m8s opens and closes the door at the shortcut in customs everyone lags... has nothing to do with anyone else.

Did you one read that first part? As a bug it sounds like a unlikely result, why should interacting with a object in the map result in desync.

But from experience i think it's a valid conclusion.

6 minutes ago, Saudi said:

And there is a little desync if there is a player scav is spawning (100%) SURE

I would call those lags, not desync!

Just now, Misjah said:

Did you one read that first part? As a bug it sounds like a unlikely result, why should interacting with a object in the map result in desync.

But from experience i think it's a valid conclusion.

well, for example, the server has to sync the door to all the clients, not saying that's the actual issue but there can definitely be desync caused by interacting with items on the map

Yeah but out of everything we do client-server wide, a door being one of the causes of desync seems funny. :D

Just now, Cyrtafix said:

We got desync after bridge, sometimes near broken fence infront construction and bridge. 

How long into the match was that? There could have been someone just running ahead through the shortcut in order to get to the rare spawns first.

2 hours ago, HandsomeNipple said:

How long into the match was that? There could have been someone just running ahead through the shortcut in order to get to the rare spawns first.

Very  beginning of game and shortcut was close when we arrive near gas station.

Edited by Cyrtafix

40 minutes ago, Misjah said:

why should interacting with a object in the map result in desync.

That's the bug part, interacting with an object shouldn't cause any performance strain on server but it does.

Could be because someone put the wrong variables when it came to the door. As an example of what could be happening to show you the perspective of the 'one object':

You use a key to open shortcut door, which is bugged. That door is constantly sending the server information which then is relayed to other players that the door is open and unlocked.

You open any other door/unlock any other door, which isn't bugged. The door sends a message to server saying 'Yo, x opened me. Tell others' - then the server relays that to you and other players and that's it.

Difference is the bugged door for whatever reason constantly is sending data putting strain on the server and the players.

Another issue that could be happening is with the nav mesh (Unsure how EFT has done it) where once the door is open/close the AI is trying to calculate that as a potential route, but that door could have AI-collision and now the server is trying to find a way to get through it and suddenly this one small door is killing the server.

All of the above are examples of what could be happening, unlikely but possible. Shows you the power of one bugged object.

Edited by LethalsLoaded
Spelling
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Misjah said:

Sorry man It wasnt ment like that , I think I misread it, or atleast misunderstood hehe.
Anyways specially a object like a door can cause alot of unnecessary server stress.
Though strange its just when closing it though.

People dont realize that there a "different" desync situations happen in this game.

1. Server overload

2. A guy with a crap connection, there is already enough video evidence where you can see that a single guy with a horrible connection desyncs the game for everyone in an instance. As soon he is dead, everything runs fine again. This is a netcode issues.

3. Desync because of degrading float precision. This happens when you have the famous "I have to wait minutes for something to happen desync" (no, this does not counts for Oceania players, you are just lagging hard). If this happens you can see the physics freaking out, bouncing guns on the ground, interaction with broken objects and so on. And this means your float precision is degrading hard. This is a engine issue.

1. Would be solved if they would activate their "5000 beta servers" instead of the 5 alpha server where we are still playing on.

2. Would be 50% solved if they would open up server for Oceania and South Africa. The other 50% is optimizing the netcode.

3. Well same as with the netcode, they need to work on their engine to fix it. It would also help to throw more power at a instance so it can solve its gamestate problem faster, but this is not real solution and they obviously don't want to invest more in servers ^^ So we have to wait till someone who is good at math fixes their engine issues :)

Edited by Selgald
  • Upvote 9

Very interesting report. Thank you for the detailed post my friend. This is what being a tester is all about, you could've just found something that could prove very valuable! 

• Upvote 13

41 minutes ago, HandsomeNipple said:

yeah this exactly , after 1.5-2minutes the first are able  to ''bug'' the doors (therefor the server) or how one wants to call  it :)

Edited by weeping-pirate
  • Upvote 1

Aame here - while going through the shortcut or after another player came through the desync began ... happened to much to be a coincidence.

• Upvote 1

I've also saw desync after opening/closing the customs shortcut 2-3 times

I belieeve you are onto something good job!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, weeping-pirate said:

Hey  there,

Due to alot of people complaining...

I never play offline, but the fact that this seems to be a bugged door, makes me wonder if the same door has any type of impact in an offline match?  Perhaps try with and without AI, that can help determine if it's an AI pathing issue as another user suggested.

Edited by Woodsen_Moosen
Reduced quote size
  • Upvote 1

Really nice find. Thanks for taking your time to help devs narrow down the issues, instead of throwing empty threats and tantrums.

• Upvote 3

Great work! I just wanted to add my desync findings. Hope this helps.

The customs dorms seem to be the issue for me. I can rush there with no issues, but as I start looting, and other players arrive the desync starts. To the point where I can wait for 20+ mins with no resolve. Guns that do not reload, blinking items in inventory, non responsive gun switching. 

Any actions I take seem to be added to a queue, as soon as I leave the dorms area the queue starts to complete. For example I dropped my vest and a clip during desync, when I walked away my vest and clip suddenly drop.

This happens each time, and I do not have a factory key. It's possible that some instances have to do with the shortcut door, but I usually check it and have never found it unlocked.