On 21.08.2017 at 11:44 PM, Estaaguirre said:

Keter said it best and I whole heartedly agree with his reasoning. 

But I hope and expect that the devs with surprise us with multiple calibers.  One of the beautiful things I've come to see in EFT is their attention to detail in the firearms and their related physics.  So if any game could properly implement and appreciate different calibers on the same platform essentially would be these guys. 

So to make the arguement on why we would need the different calibers would be the same reason we would need them IRL.

9mm, cheap, extremely effective in self defense loads and very controllable with a large round capacity. 

45 ACP. As far as ball rounds go, it's gonna be king. As stated above, when it comes to it 45 is a fat ass piece of 230gr lead to shove through flesh.  Being subsonic it would also be unbeatable suppressed. Hell at my range you'll hear the rounds hit the paper on a quiet day.  9mm and other rounds will have to be specifically loaded to achieve the same results audibly but with a drastic impact to terminal performance. 

10mm (or 40 S&W if you're a weirdo) are fantastic for barrier defeating, distance shots and really badass sub machine gun calibers.  But terrible to suppress and really rowdy to control compared to 9mm and even 45. 

I say 9mm is a safe way to start adding in these different pistols. Yeah it's "more 9mm great". But the bullet coding is in, it's more pistol selection (there's currently one 9x19 pistol anyway) and lays the groundwork for more calibers in the same family of pistol. 

Now just gotta hope for RMR mounted glocks to run around with 

There's a story about the time, when mankind switched to 9mm and double stacked mags, it goas like this:

"Man walks into the bar, waving his gun and shouting:

- I've 1911 here, loaded with 7 45 rounds and 1 in chamber! I wanna know who sleeps with my wife?!?!?

After a short time of silence, came the voice from the room

- You need more ammo"

On 8/20/2017 at 8:05 AM, MKev said:

true true. the mark 23 is a heavy gun and 1911 is old. but 1911 is out as combat and performance edition with 2 line magazine up to 21 rounds, picatiny rails and implemented muzzlebrake. and the mark 23 is changed with P12. I have us family in active duty and know that marines use 1911 9mm edition, .45acp edition as commando, baretta, and even the glock is not rare. In our german army we use P8 and GSG9, KSK and other SOF have p12 (.45acp) the good thing on p12 is, its lighter, good recoil control and reliability. Me for my part, i dont care what somebody prefers. I would love to have the decision including pro's & con's in EFT with all used calibers by goverment units around the world. I want to decide if i have higher penetration with more recoil or less penetration with low recoil. and there are no 9x19 bullets holopoint or +P bullets that beat .45acp holopoint and +P bullets. .45acp has more speed, higher impact and bigger size.

regards

45acp does not have speed. it is a slow moving freight train.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Glocks but since they are to be implemented, I'd love to see the addition of the various stocks that slide into the grip and the various chassis systems along with the ability to mount red dots, change your irons out (hi viz, suppressor height, etc), and other mods. 

ALG Six Second Mount w/ Aimpoint micro (the oversized magwell could give you an increase in your speed reload):

39b4b0372b9eaec7b16638737ad57f5d--molon-

FAB Defense KPOS:

15B3467E-E876-48E4-AC55-1594A7A53975.jpg

CAA Micro Roni:

0001129_micro-roni.jpeg

I believe that is a FAB Defense GLR-440 pictured here:

12905115_1265663480128451_1041438324_n.j

Also the ability to add an auto sear would be really cool (I believe that is one pictured above aswell as below). 

IMG_0881.jpg

In short, give them the ability to be converted from your plain Jane semi auto pistol all the way to full auto PDWs

• Upvote 1

People can argue .45 vs 9mm all day. Here is the rub though:

230 grain .45 is subsonic. Penetration is worse than 9x19 but soft tissue damage is significantly better with the .45. You want a cartridge that does the job and doesn't need special snowflake rounds to work well suppressed? .45 gets it done. 

Of course Glocks are average at best. Give me something sexy like an FNX45 tac and then it is really worth it. 

33 minutes ago, GunFox said:

230 grain .45 is subsonic. Penetration is worse than 9x19 but soft tissue damage is significantly better with the .45. You want a cartridge that does the job and doesn't need special snowflake rounds to work well suppressed? .45 gets it done. 

Of course Glocks are average at best. Give me something sexy like an FNX45 tac and then it is really worth it. 

Which goes against pretty much all ballistics science from the past few years.

Not even battlefield or trauma surgeons can tell the difference between a 9mm Luger wound and a .45 ACP wound when both are using the same projectiles.

The whole .,45 ACP "manstopper" myth is just that, a myth, there's a reason the US Military didn't go back to .45 ACP with the MHS, and the FBI went back to 9mm Luger, after blatantly stating their testers showed there's basically no difference between wounds caused by .45 ACP, .40 S&W and 9mm Luger.

Add to this that pistols are terrible at stopping a determined attacker in the first place no matter what the caliber, and yeah, this myth needs to die already.

Meanwhile 10mm with its near 800 ft-lbf loads are more like a magnum cartridge than a traditional semi-auto pistol cartridge. Also hope they add .460 Rowland conversion barrels for the .45 ACP model Glocks, those things almost reach .44 Magnum energies, I've seen at least one load rated at over 1200 ft-lbf.

Edited by Strokovich

EFT does not need handguns in .45 ACP, .44 magnum, 10mm or other rare calibers.

With the current damage model, all you need is 2-3 chest hits or 1 headshot with 9x18mm and 9x19mm bullet.

You can buy 9x18 BZT rounds for 5 roubles and they get the job done.

What we do need are cheap, high(er) capacity 9x18mm pistols, like the Makarov PMM or Fort 12.

How about Stechkin APS, OTs-27 "Berdysh", or even OTs-33 "Pernach".? 18/27 rounds of 9x18mm... select fire.... sweet!

Edited by Kmieciu

5 hours ago, GunFox said:

The average 147gr 9mm is subsonic too and .45 does very little appreciable damage beyond what 9mm does.  9mm is basically the perfect compromise for firepower that fits in a handgun.

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2017 at 11:42 PM, MKev said:

t M1911 commando or similar first, but i am fine with Glock. Since it comes in versions with burst or full-auto modes. To give you all an better look about the Glock, i have a nice video here from my Shooting Sports Colleague and Gunny-Legend Jerry Miculek:

I think a Glock 19 would be the best addition for the next handgun, aside from maybe a more affordable older snub nose revolver. I only say this because not every gun in tarkov should be a beast. Sometime you get what you get and it might be a outdated Russian revolver or DB shotgun.

I can't wait to see the Glock. It's a perfect fit for a game like Tarkov--the aftermarket for them is absolutely insane. Ridiculously customizable. 

12 hours ago, FunYun said:

The average 147gr 9mm is subsonic too and .45 does very little appreciable damage beyond what 9mm does.  9mm is basically the perfect compromise for firepower that fits in a handgun.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/16/throwback-thursday-the-fbi-ammo-tests/

I don't know when everyone forgot that the FBI tested this. 9mm is not sufficient.

I think people look at the date and assume that it has somehow become outdated. Great, except they spent actual tons of ballistic gelatin, did consult with er doctors, actually recreated proper combat circumstances based on real world engagements, and used proper scientific test design. 

Is there anything has has even come close to the scale and dedication to unbiased testing?

Wound channels with pistol rounds are limited, effectively, to the diameter of the round. Unlike rifle rounds, the temporary wound channel isn't large enough to matter. Again confirmed in the FBI test.

You only get to start making things interesting when you change the dynamic of how pistol rounds function. Stuff like 5.7 and the fact that it tumbles like an intermediate rifle cartridge. 

46 minutes ago, GunFox said:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/16/throwback-thursday-the-fbi-ammo-tests/

I don't know when everyone forgot that the FBI tested this. 9mm is not sufficient.

I think people look at the date and assume that it has somehow become outdated. Great, except they spent actual tons of ballistic gelatin, did consult with er doctors, actually recreated proper combat circumstances based on real world engagements, and used proper scientific test design. 

Is there anything has has even come close to the scale and dedication to unbiased testing?

Wound channels with pistol rounds are limited, effectively, to the diameter of the round. Unlike rifle rounds, the temporary wound channel isn't large enough to matter. Again confirmed in the FBI test.

You only get to start making things interesting when you change the dynamic of how pistol rounds function. Stuff like 5.7 and the fact that it tumbles like an intermediate rifle cartridge. 

Oh, you mean the same FBI who recent went back to 9mm from .40 S&W because it made no difference in terminal performance after extensive testing? or hey, we could just quote their report on it.

http://looserounds.com/2014/09/21/fbi-9mm-justification-fbi-training-division/

Directly from the FIOA PDF post study.

Let's take the best bits.

Most of what is “common knowledge” with ammunition and its effects on the human target are rooted in myth and folklore

Handgun stopping power is simply a myth

There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto

Given contemporary bullet construction, LEO’s can field (with proper bullet selection) 9mm Lugers with all of the terminal performance potential of any other law enforcement pistol caliber with none of the disadvantages present with the “larger” calibers

Oh, and if you think even ball makes a significant difference at all, you're once again mistaken, mainly since, as reported as early as WW2, .45 ACP out of sub machine guns was far less likely to break through bones than higher velocity cartridges like 9mm Luger or mainly 7.62x25mm Tokarev.

9mm is more then "sufficient" for a pistol caliber, .45 ACP and It's mythical "stopping power" is just that, myths.

• Upvote 1

On 19 August 2017 at 8:52 AM, DeltaElite121 said:

I regularly carry a Steyr S9A1 loaded with hollow-points.

Holy... where do you live dude?

Edited by tullowitsch
spelling (tablet writing ufff)

18 minutes ago, tullowitsch said:

Honestly, people make a big deal out of hollow point ammunition when like, 99% of people who carry a pistol or have one on their bed stand or wherever will use them, I'm not aware of a single police department or other LE organization that doesn't issue some brand of them. It's simply making the best out of a bad situation as opposed to making your gun some instant death ray.

Edited by KhandE

1 hour ago, tullowitsch said:

Also, since I can't edit my post, a lot of the times you'll want to use JHPs for liability reasons, police included, see, normally over penetration is written off as a myth and that it's far riskier to worry about over penetration than to use an under penetrating round which will get you killed because it doesn't reach the target's vitals, with JHPs, over penetration pretty much is a non factor with any well constructed hollow point. (some have issues with things like jamming when hitting clothing or certain barriers and effectively acting like FMJs, you don't want to use these.)

.....Overpenetration IS, however, a legitimate concern with Ball rounds as, say you shoot someone trying to forcibly mug and wound you, or a police officer has to subdue a knife wielding psycho who's not listening and is a direct danger to nearby people, if said rounds from their guns in these situations over penetrates and it actually does hit someone, or goes through a thin wall and does (which a JHP is less likely to do), the person in the defensive situation and the police agency that the officer is working for are civilly liable for any injuries caused all the same, it doesn't matter that, in the few cases it does happen that usually the injuries are minor as usually most of the energy of the projectile will be expended on the intended target and therefore not much left will be behind to pen too deep into a bystander, what matters is the fact that it happened.

It doesn't matter what you intended to do or not, if you hit someone by mistake, even with a "though and through", you're a money bag in the eyes of any half competent attorneys eyes who will take up the injured person's case. (which would be pretty much anyone.)

So, just a TL;DR, It's actually potentially worse for you in more than one way to load your defensive piece with FMJ/Ball rounds.

Edited by KhandE

Khande pretty much summed it up. Hollow points really aren't anything magical or special; it's just my preference because I want my round to stop the target, and I also want it to stop ON target/point of impact.. not continue to keep going.  

I love Glock all the way , the form just everything looks so damn sexy . Get in ingame with a loot of customazions so lets pimp my glock .

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:07 AM, Kmieciu said:

EFT does not need handguns in .45 ACP, .44 magnum, 10mm or other rare calibers.

With the current damage model, all you need is 2-3 chest hits or 1 headshot with 9x18mm and 9x19mm bullet.

You can buy 9x18 BZT rounds for 5 roubles and they get the job done.

What we do need are cheap, high(er) capacity 9x18mm pistols, like the Makarov PMM or Fort 12.

How about Stechkin APS, OTs-27 "Berdysh", or even OTs-33 "Pernach".? 18/27 rounds of 9x18mm... select fire.... sweet!

You're smoking crystal meth if you think 44 magnum, 45 ACP and 10mm are rare calibers. 

1 hour ago, Reaver1776 said:

You're smoking crystal meth if you think 44 magnum, 45 ACP and 10mm are rare calibers. 

Remember where this game takes place.