Blackb1rd

The interview with Nikita Buyanov

Dear friends! We are pleased to present you with a transcript of an interview with the COO of Battlestate Games studio Nikita Buyanov, which was taken from him by the Russian-speaking emissary of Escape from Tarkov.

• French Translation can be found here. Thanks to Emissary @AGN_YuD
  • Portugese Translation can be found here. Thanks to Emissary @dimittri4gc!
  • Italian translation can be found here . Thanks to Emissary @baggio !
  • Czech Translation can be found here. Thanks to @Miovann
  • Finnish Translation can be found here. Thanks to Emissary @sp3edie

Q: That is a source of inspiration for you in the development of the Russia 2028 universe?

A: Well, we have to understand that you can come up with anything, but implementing it is another matter. Implementation is the first and the main stumbling block. Inspiration is a complex concept. Earlier it could be felt or even anticipated. Earlier it was possible for me to reach it by doing something, and to keep myself in a certain state of mind and mood, thus getting inspiration as an artist. Now, however, due to the complexity of the process of translating ideas into reality, it is very difficult to get this kind of inspiration.  However, in a motivational aspect, results of our team’s efforts and the positive player feedback are still very inspiring.

Q: Are there any sources of inspiration in the form of games or music?

A: Yes of course, these are some of the basic sources. Lately, I’ve taken to Dark Ambient - melodious bleak and sometimes sinister music. I also watch different kinds of movies.

Q: In 2014, either you or Kiba mentioned on the stream that book on the Russia 2028 universe is almost ready. When we’ll be able to see it?

A: Yes, we’ve been putting this off for quite a while, since the process is associated with a creative impulse and the aforementioned inspiration that does not only depend on me, but also on my comrade, who was the one writing this book. It's still in the plan and hasn’t been canceled, now we just need to take a break and return to this idea in the future, rethink and finish it.

Q: Basically, as soon as possible, correct?

A: Yes.

Q: In addition to the three current projects: Contract Wars, Ops Hired and Escape From Tarkov and future Russia 2028, are there any other projects planned?

A: Well, I have lots of interesting things stored away in my head. But generally, we plan to focus on further development of this universe, it has some surprising sides of which you are not even aware of. There are ideas that are radically different from current projects, but they have one principle in common - they are all serious, complex, hardcore games.

Q: How’s it going with Russia 2028? Is there any development going on, at least at design stage?

A: Russia 2028 is the world that needs even more to be done and developed. Escape From Tarkov is an integral part of this world, its physical prototype. What happens in Escape From Tarkov, shall carry on further in Russia 2028 several years later. We have the story, the whole concept, a clear understanding of gameplay. It will be a single player game. Full potential accumulated in the EFT will also be implemented in Russia 2028. That will be, in fact, an evolution of EFT with better graphics, more comfortable, with a great storyline, but in frame of a singleplayer game.

Q: Regarding the environment. In sketches and concept artworks, as well as in the old Russia 2028 gameplay video, we saw sheer darkness and devastation, almost a world on the brink of postapocalypse. Is it possible that these are consequences of the activities of a single company (TerraGroup)?

A: TerraGroup is just a tip of the iceberg. I won't reveal all the details.

Russia 2028 world will be so grim because it’s a post-war world, the collapse of civilization. This is a complete Fallout lookalike, just harder living conditions. EFT, but with sharp changes in the weather, radiation and biological contamination spots, etc.

Q: (A few months ago there was a news piece news about the Sherpas stating that they, along with Emissaries, will be able to provide assistance kits. But since then, there’s been no word on the Sherpas.)

When can we expect the implementation of functional Sherpas? And what will this assistance include?

A: It will be equipment packages which will be issued once a certain amount of time. It can be implemented right now, but we're not doing this because there are still aspects of items transfer via chat that we want to adjust. The mechanism would resemble returning insured items.

Q: There are often posts on the forum with reports from or invitations to EFT-themed airsoft games, what do you think of this kind of activities? Any advice?

A: That is awesome, I’m highly positive about them, even more so, I often to express my approval and support. We support these initiatives and try to help. In the office, Kiba sets up very cool games himself. Maybe we will have another game soon and invite the press to it.

Q: Shall we expect new developer diaries?

A: We have the desire to make them and topics to cover, but now we just don't have the time, because it is time-consuming and distracts us from the ongoing tasks.

Q: Terminal Automated Radio Relay Service, what is it? Is it involved somehow in the EFT story?

A: And how! Pretty heavily involved, I’d say. I can not disclose it to you, but this automated relay, and everything that was on it, it all relates to the game and has a meaning.  You may have noticed that the screenshots of a Hideout mention it as well. Moreover, this system is installed on the laptop. We plan to move all of this into the game, to make this terminal accessible directly in the game from the Hideout. This is not the main subject, not the main mystery, but it is featured throughout the entire universe.

Q: And can I say that this terminal is similar to the numbers stations?

A: No. This terminal allows, for instance, hacking into city tracking system through public protocols. We create our own parallel universe by analogy with the current geopolitical situation.

Q: Then, fans of games like Watch Dogs will have something to do too?

A: Not sure. We’re very different from WatchDogs.

Q: Have you ever thought of making EFT on another engine?

A: Well, now it is unreasonable, too much is implemented in Unity. As for a new project... First we need to finish the EFT on Unity, and then we’ll see.

Q: It was promised that transition to the new version of Unity will enable anti-aliasing. Why is this not done?

A: Well, it’s complicated. In fact, there is no anti-aliasing, per se, in Different Rendering. At least not in its classic meaning. There is a multisampling, and it is unclear how to implement it on Unity. We haven't even seriously researched this issue yet, but we definitely will.

Q: Aiming mode framerate often drops to 30 fps, even on the most powerful computers, this is especially noticeable when using optics. Will that get fixed and optimized?

A: Any aiming, which changes the FOV (Field Of View) somehow triggers grass re-rendering in Unity. Nothing can be done about it, it causes a peak that lowers fps. This bug was reported to Unity a good while ago, but they are yet to fix it. That was the first reason.

The second is, when we look down the scope we have two cameras working at the same time, and that increases the number of objects to render. But it is a price of the realism. There are two options, either we do everything like in the classic shooters and waive the lens, or come up with something else. We are likely to think of something else.

Q: When approximately is it worth waiting for implementation of the features that were previously shown in the videos (e.g. lockpicking with multitool)?

A: Coming soon. We are working on it at the moment. We have not implemented them immediately because we had to rewrite half of the game for the sake of optimization. Everything that was planned remains planned, including lockpicking.

Q: Since the start of the Alpha there was a bug when opening door with a key and repeatedly pressing the action button caused character hands to freeze, as well as items in the inventory (it was impossible to shoot, reload and change weapons). It also occurred while picking items, opening boxes and changing modifications. It’s already beta, but bug is still here, will it get fixed?

A: It has been tested, but we could not reproduce this bug. If you encountered it, please report it to support. This problem with freezes is a cornerstone one. We had to do certain things differently in the past. Ideally, we need to rewrite part of the game, but under current conditions we will just look for such cases and close them.

Q: Will you add knocking down enemy? I.e. deal with the cases when the character has lower limbs destroyed, but is still standing?

A: This is an animated Ragdoll (type of procedural animation) that allows us to fall off the feet and get up, just as in GTA. This is a serious task which is planned, but haven't been done yet because it causes network synchronization problems.

Q: Will the stash get reorganized? For example, would it be possible to sort the items in it?

A: It will. We even has the sorting, just turned it off due to certain problems. There will be one more option to view inventory, as a list.

Q: Is it possible to learn any details about the player Hideout?  Can we use the stash from there, for example?

A: There's a whole list of Q&A on that. Hideout is a visual representation of you. At start it will only feature bare minimum - a shooting range to shoot and ability to use certain crafting opportunities. But gradually, over time, we’ll add interactions, turning water on or something like that. The stash will be dynamically displayed, if there are indeed come canned foods, you’ll see them standing in the Hideout. We are now going from minimum to maximum. The stash is a fairly complex system, so please don’t expect complete interactivity immediately.

Q: Will there be a narrative training in the game? For example, the player will have to pass a small location that will teach to handle weapons, load mags, distributing them in the vest.

A: Something like that is planned. The very first singleplayer location. We are still discussing what should be there, what kind of training. We do not want the to tell player how to play the game in detail on purpose. But it will cover the basic aspects such as controls.

Q: Will the barter mechanics be changed? Right now, players complain that for exchanging a few items you need to look for a pile of junk, as a result, the inventory becomes clogged with unnecessary things, which is especially hurting for players with Standard Edition.

A: Well, firstly the stash will be extendable. And secondly, how else? Any question you can ask about EFT has a reply: how would it go down in real life? Moreover, there is yet no marketplace where you could get the required items through other schemes or with other conditions. Now you cannot analyze the EFT economy system, because now there are yet no marketplace and no auctions, and, most importantly, no extended trader artificial intelligence system which is getting done now. Traders only have the basic AI at this point, they don't behave like people yet. They will change prices, dump, etc. As of now, the prices do not change. Market value is not changed in any way, but it will start to with the implementation of the marketplace. The goods will begin to lose value.

The economy is going to live by itself without our intervention. Now we still have to add the goods and money, but we won’t have to do it afterwards. E.g., if trader runs out of money, he will have to find a solution with his own AI. Raise the price on a certain product or something else.

Q: What will be difference between quests and barter? According to preliminary screenshots we can see that completing the task with Prapor and bringing him three MR-133 will get us rewarded with Saiga.  Barter mechanics is roughly the same.

A: First, those screenshots no longer reflect reality. Now everything is different.

Soon we will introduce quests, they now are being tested. These will be basic quests with the three traders.

We'll give later the material on the quests later. But the point is that we now use the maximum variety of quests to diversify the gameplay related to them. Next step will be introducing personal quests - thoughts and research aimed at story development.

Q: Will the character take notes, as in the classic RPG, to uncover the full scope of the story?

A: Character notes, diaries are the essence of these personal quests which are instrumental to the story, and everything else, while also important, is to larger extent just a tool for earning experience, standing, goods, items. You can make your notes yourself. There is a special topic for that.

Q: Will there be karma or fines for players who abuse Scav gameplay? That is, kill their own and leave the location.

A: Definitely yes, they will be punished, we’re thinking of ways to do it realistically. The main character's karma system is still in development. We have not linked it with the Scav karma yet, but most likely we will make it common. I.e. actions as Scav can affect karma of the main character.

Q: I hope it will not be like Contract Wars, where players rate each other?

A: No, it won't be. Karma is your actions in the game.

Q: Freeroam. What will it be? As in Stalker, moving from location to location with loading?

Or will it be one big map in many square kilometers large which will unite all in one location?

A: This will be one location which includes all others.

Q: Will PCs manage such spaces?

A: They should, because we will use streaming (i.e. loading whatever is located before that character and unloading what is left behind).

Q: The game will feature the arena mode. Is it possible to use it as a platform for cybersport competitions?

A: Easily. Turning Arena into something of Tournament functionality is now under active discussion. The key point is that Arena will be ruled by skill. Of locations there will be not only the

arena.

Q: Why is PMC operative Starter Kit so poor?

A: Events at the beginning of the game will explain how it happened.

Q: At what stage in the development should character customization be expected?

A: Three addition pairs of hands and lower body sets are ready at the moment. In total, four versions of the top and bottom. Heads are more difficult to do for now, but the head, obviously, cannot be changed, you can only choose it at the beginning of the game. Functionality: change of pants or outerwear will be provided as a trader service, it won’t influence anything, just visuals.

Q: And what about customization of the MOLLE systems?

A: It is a complex of tasks associated with the modification of equipment. The functionality will be similar to the modification of the weapons: there will be slots that can be equipped with various pouches. For instance, there will be a helmet on which you can modify the visor, armor pads, NVD mount.

Q: How are contacts made between the producer of equipment and weapons and Battlestate Games?

A: Usually, there are two options. Either we write somebody, or somebody writes to us. Generally, it is us getting letters from producers who would like to see their products in our game. And that’s it. We start to communicate. Just a friendly arrangement.

Q: Then the item is getting inspected and modeled?

A: Yes, they can send it to us or we can go shooting to them, record sounds and do other stuff that we need done.  For instance, equipment is almost every time delivered to us. Of course, it is much more complicated  with foreign companies, delivering from abroad can be difficult, and there are other problems - weapons can’t be delivered here. However, companies are still ready to ship us gear.

Q: Will AK-12 be included? For example, in Contract Wars and Hired Ops there are AK-12 assembled in 2013.

A: We have AK-12 lists. Moreover we have the pictures of that old AK-12 (2013 issue). The same situation here as with Glock style pistols, there are 4 generations, and we are now doing the third generation model. It's the same with AK-12 - we can make the model of year 2012, or the species from 2016.

Q: What about exclusives such as VAL mod.3 and TKPD?

A: VAL mod. 3 is essentially just a bodykit: handguard, shortened barrel, modified stock and grip. Nothing prevents players from customizing VAL to get mod. 3 eventually. Same thing with TKPD. Some traders, however, might sell already already assembled options.

Q: That is not excluded? The concept is not violated?

A: It is not excluded. When we have collected all the weapons to be in EFT, we relied on the universe as a whole. And the universe includes the Contract Wars too as an active phase of the BEAR and USEC confrontation. Weapons used in it have not disappeared.

Q: The Contract Wars featured about a hundred different weapons. Will it be about the same in EFT?

A: More. Well, let’s see - three options of AKSU. 2 options of Kedr. That is, if you take all the modifications that will be a lot of weapons.

Q: Why waive the belt-fed machineguns?

A: We didn’t cancel them, just postponing their production for a while because they are very time-consuming at the moment. We’ll spend a lot of time on them, and they will be specific-purpose weapons, not for mass use. For now we’d better concentrate on more massively used weapons. That will actually be used, rather than collecting dust in caches (like DVL). In the future, of course we shall do them too. Lack of certain weapon is also temporary. For example, MP-5 is now rarely used due to complexity of purchase and barter, but appearance of USEC bots will change that.

Q: Will EFT be released on disks, Collector's Edition maybe?

A: Probably, closer to release. A limited batch of discs, but what will be included on the we haven’t thought through yet.

Final words:

The most interesting events of EFT are only just beginning. It will always be interesting. Every new location will be like a new game. Location-wise, we are finishing the Shoreline now, which lacks its main part - the health resort, which is essentially a mini-city. Beside the resort, there will also be hydroelectric power plant and a large piece of forest.

With every upgrade we will improve performance, and introduce features that have long been discussed.

Thank you very much for supporting us. I’d like to see the EFT community transforming into something more, a hardcore-loving community.

The original interview in Russian can be found here:

• Upvote 20

@TechoverMana 

First of all , stop these "little  kids accusations" we are all adults here so act like it. Lore itself is a strong argument for karma, just because i like the idea of karma in this game doesnt mean i mindlessly praise everything that devs do.

Show me one confirmed info about karma

I work as an engineer and i wouldnt get too far on my own without input from my  coleagues and vice versa, so i know a thing or two about criticall thinking...

Translation errors are no speculations as they happened several times before, why i think this is one of them is because devs said multiple times scav wolrd is dog eat dog...

Now lets read this better translated Q&A and see if it clarifies some of these argunets

20 minutes ago, Blackb1rd said:

Q: At what stage in the development should character customization be expected?

A: Three addition pairs of hands and lower body sets are ready at the moment. In total, four versions of the top and bottom. Heads are more difficult to do for now, but the head, obviously, cannot be changed, you can only choose it at the beginning of the game. Functionality: change of pants or outerwear will be provided as a trader service, it won’t influence anything, just visuals.

Looking forward to this to better identify friendlies, But when the Karma system comes in would having each player look unique not take away from that system?

19 minutes ago, Blackb1rd said:

Q: Will the barter mechanics be changed? Right now, players complain that for exchanging a few items you need to look for a pile of junk, as a result, the inventory becomes clogged with unnecessary things, which is especially hurting for players with Standard Edition.

A: Well, firstly the stash will be extendable. And secondly, how else? Any question you can ask about EFT has a reply: how would it go down in real life? Moreover, there is yet no marketplace where you could get the required items through other schemes or with other conditions. Now you cannot analyze the EFT economy system, because now there are yet no marketplace and no auctions, and, most importantly, no extended trader artificial intelligence system which is getting done now. Traders only have the basic AI at this point, they don't behave like people yet. They will change prices, dump, etc. As of now, the prices do not change. Market value is not changed in any way, but it will start to with the implementation of the marketplace. The goods will begin to lose value.

The economy is going to live by itself without our intervention. Now we still have to add the goods and money, but we won’t have to do it afterwards. E.g., if trader runs out of money, he will have to find a solution with his own AI. Raise the price on a certain product or something else.

pls no, Just give us a proper barter system, Where we can use cash and the value of objects against items. Would give more incentive for players to scavenge random things. 

20 minutes ago, Blackb1rd said:

Q: Aiming mode framerate often drops to 30 fps, even on the most powerful computers, this is especially noticeable when using optics. Will that get fixed and optimized?

A: Any aiming, which changes the FOV (Field Of View) somehow triggers grass re-rendering in Unity. Nothing can be done about it, it causes a peak that lowers fps. This bug was reported to Unity a good while ago, but they are yet to fix it. That was the first reason.

The second is, when we look down the scope we have two cameras working at the same time, and that increases the number of objects to render. But it is a price of the realism. There are two options, either we do everything like in the classic shooters and waive the lens, or come up with something else. We are likely to think of something else.

I'd rather just have traditional game scope mechanics that are guaranteed to work with a frame rate. The realism is nice, but its better to have something that works for all rather than just us with a high end pc.

Also, Please update more on servers. The above sounds cool but i'd much rather be able to go into game and play on solid servers each time I log in.

No point having cool content if people can't play it. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ravenhawkhero said:

So BSG is developing hired ops? since when??!

Absolut Soft and BSG are the same company, Hence why Hired ops looks so similar. Again with contract wars. 

QUOTE:
"NIM: How was your studio founded, and how did you manage to keep your game a secret for so long?
Nikita Buyanov: We were previously known (and continue to be known) as Absolutsoft.

The games even use the same assets and sounds.....

hired ops has cooler weapons though

screen_2.jpg

screen_5.jpg

1473d72c004b9802a48fab22307f7bae.jpg

photo_2016-09-26_15-11-27.jpg

Edited by VoodooTFN
Pics
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, FurryAlot said:

Show me one confirmed info about karma

most likely we will make it common. I.e. actions as Scav can affect karma of the main character.

So, that whole linking scav and PMC karma, right there, is likely to go through. And I think it's a bad idea.

And don't give me this 'little kids accusation' when your retort was just 'salt' instead of actually engaging in any points, just giving a offshoot of "u mad dawg?" All I'm saying is that I think the karma system is a bad idea and some reasons why, namely how it's not realistic (which they seem to be somewhat aware of since they're trying to think of ways how to make such a plainly unrealistic concept realistic. My conclusion is that you can't and that you need to decide if you want to be realistic or just make your concessions and give up on it.)

28 minutes ago, FurryAlot said:

Lore itself is a strong argument for karma,

The lore doesn't support it at all, since scavs are described "dog eat dog, cutting each other's throats for a better piece" and in game the BEAR faction is apparently "ex-BEAR PMC" as in, not currently associated with it, so why would they care if they kill BEARS they're not associated with? And even the scav mode information page states "Death in the raid won't affect the progress or equipment of your main character." Except this idea discussed as likely to be pushed through specifically would go exactly against that point if they connect them. So it's not consistent either lore wise, nor by stated game mechanics.

So it's clear lore really doesn't mean anything since they're pretty much just going against what is lore word for word with this system, especially in relation to scavs, and plenty of what is in the lore in fact would directly oppose such a system.

Edited by TechoverMana
  • Upvote 1

Loved the interview. And as I see.. 

Glock confirmed! Love it. And a lot of other answers I was curious about. 

Great content! Great job. Patcience is the way to go here :) 

27 minutes ago, TechoverMana said:

most likely we will make it common. I.e. actions as Scav can affect karma of the main character.

So, that whole linking scav and PMC karma, right there, is likely to go through. And I think it's a bad idea.

And don't give me this 'little kids accusation' when your retort was just 'salt' instead of actually engaging in any points, just giving a offshoot of "u mad dawg?" All I'm saying is that I think the karma system is a bad idea and some reasons why, namely how it's not realistic (which they seem to be somewhat aware of since they're trying to think of ways how to make such a plainly unrealistic concept realistic. My conclusion is that you can't and that you need to decide if you want to be realistic or just make your concessions and give up on it.)

The lore doesn't support it at all, since scavs are described "dog eat dog, cutting each other's throats for a better piece" and in game the BEAR faction is apparently "ex-BEAR PMC" as in, not currently associated with it, so why would they care if they kill BEARS they're not associated with? And even the scav mode information page states "Death in the raid won't affect the progress or equipment of your main character." Except this idea discussed as likely to be pushed through specifically would go exactly against that point if they connect them. So it's not consistent either lore wise, nor by stated game mechanics.

So it's clear lore really doesn't mean anything since they're pretty much just going against what is lore word for word with this system, especially in relation to scavs, and plenty of what is in the lore in fact would directly oppose such a system.

I was not talking about connection of pmc and scav karma, that is imho stupid idea... And you pull this info they release just now  as your argument on confirmed karma   info xD i was talking about karma in generall, what will it do for what actions, which has not been confirmed, all the stuff you think karma will do  is just speculations and disscussions of devs and their ideas of how karma will work, nobody ever said "this is how karma will work" ...

Why i mentioned your salty essays  because because you spend so much energy on so long posts about something that is not yet reality and we have minimal info about, your just being unreasonable  like some little kid...

Edited by FurryAlot

27 minutes ago, TechoverMana said:

Give this man a cigar!

Best explaintation why that karma system is a bad idea!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Give this man a cigar!

Best explaintation why that karma system is a bad idea!

Connecting PMC and Scav karma makes no sense and is a bad idea, however karma overall is a must in this game, this is not DayZ, you want to be a bandit? Go play scav, but as pmc ... Imagine a blackwater unit dispersed around a big city , cut from command chain, you think they would kill eachother on sight just because one have  a helmet or better weapon? Hell no, they would work together to survive, now im not saying everyone would do this, but you would have to be  a seriously mentally ill  to start killing your "ex comrades" for loot, as for karma, soldiers have ptsd syndromes and they dont have to kill anyone, just seeing what war can be like is enough to have serious mental consequences, hence the mentioned tremmor in hands and similiar efects...which are still in discussion/development so please stop cospiracy theorizing about karma destroying EFT when we still dont know the whole truth about karma. They are still going to firstly implement it how they see it fit, then your feedback and criticism is welcomed even by me, as i said im all for constructive criticism, but what all you "karma will destroy Eft" prophets do now, is just unsupported whining...

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, FurryAlot said:

because because you spend so much energy on so long posts

Little bit of a tangent, and I don't know about you, but those long posts come naturally to me. I've never really had an issue putting multiple paragraphs out. Frankly, it takes me way more energy to try to post on twitter

because I get very frustrated at the 140 character limit. I'm just a naturally long form sort of person, I've never had an issue meeting word number requirements, if anything I usually get overly wordy and have to figure out how to edit things down more so that they're less long form and I suppose easier to access for people who do not enjoy the longer formats of writing. I mean, even take this. I'm only responding to pretty much say "Nah, doesn't take effort to write all that out mate" but I feel the long form is much better and honestly, as stated, comes easier to me than trying to just give that one sentence response.

25 minutes ago, FurryAlot said:

all the stuff you think karma will do  is just speculations and disscussions of devs and their ideas of how karma will work

I understand, but literally everything I've heard, from devs, to forum suggestions, every idea and possible implementation or twist on the system seems terrible. It's choosing between bad and worse at this point from everything I've heard. Yes, it could be different, but if it's anything within the possibilities of possibilities I've heard discussed or released thus far, and from past history on karma systems in many other games, a karma system would be terrible for this.

1 minute ago, TechoverMana said:

Little bit of a tangent, and I don't know about you, but those long posts come naturally to me. I've never really had an issue putting multiple paragraphs out. Frankly, it takes me way more energy to try to post on twitter

because I get very frustrated at the 140 character limit. I'm just a naturally long form sort of person, I've never had an issue meeting word number requirements, if anything I usually get overly wordy and have to figure out how to edit things down more so that they're less long form and I suppose easier to access for people who do not enjoy the longer formats of writing. I mean, even take this. I'm only responding to pretty much say "Nah, doesn't take effort to write all that out mate" but I feel the long form is much better and honestly, as stated, comes easier to me than trying to just give that one sentence response.

I understand, but literally everything I've heard, from devs, to forum suggestions, every idea and possible implementation or twist on the system seems terrible. It's choosing between bad and worse at this point from everything I've heard. Yes, it could be different, but if it's anything within the possibilities of possibilities I've heard discussed or released thus far, and from past history on karma systems in many other games, a karma system would be terrible for this.

Finally some normal answer , you see this is much different argument than the initial post i reacted on, i  knew we can talk like grownups...

Thats why  im suggesting to stop wastin ur  energy on hating on karma, you will achieve nothing because dev already said they will do  karma, if you aggree or not.

So lets just wait for them to implement it first, then we can argue...

If you read back my posts, i never said i aggree on all the suggested stuff on Karma, because i  dont but its useless to argue anout it now

My answers have been normal. Stop being patronizing.

Just because they will do karma doesn't mean I shouldn't state why and how that's a terrible idea. Just because some does something doesn't mean it's therefore good. I mean, if they decided in the end they were just going to turn off FF, would you just be A-OK with that because 'well, they're going to do it so I should just accept it" Same with the linking of PMC and Scav karma? Sounds like it's happening, guess you're A-OK with that? By your own self admission, you are not, but the devs seem intent on doing it so I suppose you'll raise no objection then despite that?

1 hour ago, FurryAlot said:

however karma overall is a must in this game

A karma system isn't even remotely necessary. Again, it's not realistic, goes against lots of the stated and in game lore, and only servers to entirely remove styles of play and game sense that right now make Tarkov far more engaging, creates tension in firefights, and encourages emergent gameplay. Even though the DayZ mod had a sort of version of 'karma' through its humanity system that would put people either as bandits or as heroes, it was a purely cosmetic change, wouldn't stick with a character if they changed uniforms, and had zero effect on the gameplay. There was no change in the guns, or anything, and frankly even that IMO, was still kinda going too far.

Also, it's not even hard to imagine your stated scenario with the opposing outcome. PMC operator cut off from command and left to rot in Tarkov in a moment of need, decides to stake out his own cut and gets revenge on the PMC by disrupting its operations, namely by neutralizing its field agents that have no personal connection to him outside of wearing the same clothes as the people who betrayed him. If the CIA left one of its agents to rot in some warzone, I see them could turn on them. It's called defecting, it happened all the time during the Cold War, and for far lesser reasons than abandoning someone in their time of need during a life or death situation. And just because you belong in an organization doesn't mean everyone is buddy-buddy, there's lots of people in the military who are working shoulder to shoulder who can't stand each other and wouldn't care if they fell off a cliff. Not everyone in the armed forces is on a first name basis with everyone else, hangs out at the bar after work and going to each other's barbecues on the weekends. Guys working in the same department and division sometimes can't stand each other and literally only have enough respect to work with them to get the job done and that's it.

Also, just because some people come back from combat and have PTSD doesn't mean that it's inevitable. Lots of people come back from combat and suffer no mental illness or effect. PTSD for vietnam vets based on a metasurvey seem to be between 2-17% according to the National Institute of Health, meaning most people don't come back with that. And so I wouldn't expect most hardened Tarkov operators to be as well unless they wanted to have it in the game where only 1 in 5 characters will get those symptoms and the others will never experience it based on a roll of the dice, putting a random 20% at a pretty significant disadvantage based on random chance instead of some sort of controllable skill or strategy.

Because things like who gets sick, or who gets a mental illness and who doesn't, aren't determined by some moralistic outlook from the universe deciding good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. So a karma system by its fundamental nature is inherently unrealistic.

And it's not just the karma system, a lot of the skill system as it stands, namely vitality, makes no realistic sense since it becomes just 'survive smaller gunshot wounds to be able to survive bigger gunshot wounds with less problems.", the healing right now is entirely too fast and makes it into a slightly more involved regenerating health, and bullet loading into magazines. So it's not just the karma system but there's other things that show some deviation from that promise of 'uncompromising realism' from the 2016 dev report and the attitudes stated from early in the dev cycle about how realistic the game wanted to be. Karma seems like a clear sign to me of a move away from that concept.

Can someone show me where in this thread anything is confirmed server wise for the Oceanic region? We've had our one major consolidated thread locked and been told to come here and yet I saw a sweet load of absolute nothing about it. 

If I'm wrong I'll 100% apologise but it looks like our thread was merely locker because we were actually starting to be heard and BSG didn't like. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TechoverMana said:

My answers have been normal. Stop being patronizing.

Just because they will do karma doesn't mean I shouldn't state why and how that's a terrible idea. Just because some does something doesn't mean it's therefore good. I mean, if they decided in the end they were just going to turn off FF, would you just be A-OK with that because 'well, they're going to do it so I should just accept it" Same with the linking of PMC and Scav karma? Sounds like it's happening, guess you're A-OK with that? By your own self admission, you are not, but the devs seem intent on doing it so I suppose you'll raise no objection then despite that?

And here i  thought we are finally getting somewhere, i was wrong, you are repeatedly misinterpreting or  ignoring what i wrote.

I have never said im AOK with everything devs say, i have written 2 times and now a 3rd time that connecting scav and PMC karma makes  no sense.

I'm writing it for the  last time  , there is stuff that devs will implement wether you like it or not, after then, you are welcome to discuss and criticize said mechanic, until then its useless.

And here you were patronizing me on critical thinking, yet you cannot  accept my argument even tho its not literally black & white argument against your argument but looks like you dont realize it and you still try to  stomp me like i was a lesser being not  worth of arguing with

19 minutes ago, FurryAlot said:

i have written 2 times and now a 3rd time that connecting scav and PMC karma makes  no sense.

And I acknowledged that.

45 minutes ago, TechoverMana said:

By your own self admission, you are not, but the devs seem intent on doing it so I suppose you'll raise no objection then despite that?

But by your own logic, you're against being critical of it since it's not implemented. You acknowledge that its a bad idea and makes no sense, but you are saying it's pointless to declare it as such until it's in and thus negate any point of speaking of it critically then.

I know you aren't OK with the idea of connecting PMC and Scav karma together, but it seems like they're going that direction, and your solution is pretty much don't say anything, no matter how bad it sounds, until it's in. But the problem is, by then it'd be too late to do anything so even by your logic such a thing is pointless either way. Before, during, after, why criticize anything at all if you think such a thing is useless? Then why bother being here? What point does it serve if not to reflect on and critically analyze the decisions and development of this game? If your argument is just 'don't discuss or criticize until after it's in' then my response is 'what's the point of doing it afterward? If being critical over this system before it is in is useless, then doing it afterward is even more useless than that.' I'm saying the system period is a bad idea, I'm not looking to have the system in any fashion. I'm not wanting to see if they can get it right or give some twist to it. I think the system is fundamentally flawed, its basic premise baffling, it's very concept antithetical to the fundamental nature of the game. Yes, they very well might do it anyway.

I don't see the point in biting my tongue when it seems like such a terrible idea. If they're going to do it anyway, and believe and think through and through it's good for the game, then there's no harm in stating arguments against it unless they don't have faith in such a system or find it unworkable.

Edited by TechoverMana

vor 23 Minuten schrieb DelusivePhoenix:

Can someone show me where in this thread anything is confirmed server wise for the Oceanic region? We've had our one major consolidated thread locked and been told to come here and yet I saw a sweet load of absolute nothing about it. 

If I'm wrong I'll 100% apologise but it looks like our thread was merely locker because we were actually starting to be heard and BSG didn't like. 

Nothing about servers at all. Sorry for you oceanic guys being raped since alpha.

You are just not important enough, that's the only interpretation left due to the information policy driven by BSG.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, OhDaeSou said:

Nothing about servers at all. Sorry for you oceanic guys being raped since alpha.

You are just not important enough, that's the only interpretation left due to the information policy driven by BSG.

Exactly what I thought. I had a shred of hope that maybe I had missed something and we weren't just being censored but I supposed that was probably too high of an expectation. 

It's a pity that this is the way that BSG intend to show appreciation to people that have invested in them as a new developer. Would I have been disappointed if we were just told that we weren't getting servers for a while? Yes but the way things are now, I think many of us simply feel robbed. They've used excuse after excuse and it's gotten old. 

They're just straight up lying or actively avoiding questions about the hard stuff, like more servers for the US/EU or even the implementation of any for us Oce guys not to mention desync. A bigger developer with a reputation may be able to get away with poo like this but when you're on your first game, it will leave a lasting impression when you bullshit to people who are essentially your investors

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, TechoverMana said:

And I acknowledged that.

But by your own logic, you're against being critical of it since it's not implemented. You acknowledge that its a bad idea and makes no sense, but you are saying it's pointless to declare it as such until it's in and thus negate any point of speaking of it critically then.

I know you aren't OK with the idea of connecting PMC and Scav karma together, but it seems like they're going that direction, and your solution is pretty much don't say anything, no matter how bad it sounds, until it's in. But the problem is, by then it'd be too late to do anything so even by your logic such a thing is pointless either way. Before, during, after, why criticize anything at all if you think such a thing is useless? Then why bother being here? What point does it serve if not to reflect on and critically analyze the decisions and development of this game? If your argument is just 'don't discuss or criticize until after it's in' then my response is 'what's the point of doing it afterward? If being critical over this system before it is in is useless, then doing it afterward is even more useless than that.' I'm saying the system period is a bad idea, I'm not looking to have the system in any fashion. I'm not wanting to see if they can get it right or give some twist to it. I think the system is fundamentally flawed, its basic premise baffling, it's very concept antithetical to the fundamental nature of the game. Yes, they very well might do it anyway.

I don't see the point in biting my tongue when it seems like such a terrible idea. If they're going to do it anyway, and believe and think through and through it's good for the game, then there's no harm in stating arguments against it unless they don't have faith in such a system or find it unworkable.

This is getting out of  hand and offtopic, im just saying that demanding to not implement something we have minimal info about makes no sense.

Yes i  aggree that some suggestions for karma are waaaaay out of acceptable borders, but  then again those are just suggestions and ure welcome to criticise them but dont go saying that any form of karma will be bad for the the game. 

Karma will be in the game in one form or another, then it is upon us to exploit the hell out of it and give feedback so devs can change it to its best possible form before they release the game.

My point is , dont criticise karma as a  whole because saying karma is bad is useless as devs already decided its going to be in the game, criticise the actual mechanics of karma all you  want if you disaggree how they work , but we cannot do  this , can we? as there is no official statement on actual karma mechanics how can you be critical of it as a whole if you dont know how it works??

15 minutes ago, VoodooTFN said:

Can we draw a line under the karma chat pls gents.

Yes i aggree as i wrote, we are getting offtopic...

@TechoverMana if u want to answer to my last post do it via PM pls

Edited by FurryAlot

Cool interview, i really cant wait for all features mentioned here. Also basically everything that was in questions is "ready to implement" so i hope we get more updates in near future and we will be able to be busy in uncovering new game systems and do something more constructive than lvling traders

2 hours ago, TechoverMana said:

based on random chance instead of some sort of controllable skill or strategy

Surely choosing not to shoot fellow USEC, BEAR or Scavs is a strategy so what happens via karma is controllable.

2 hours ago, FurryAlot said:

there is stuff that devs will implement wether you like it or not, after then, you are welcome to discuss and criticize said mechanic

No point in discussing it after it has been implemented, as by then the foundation has been laid and it will be to late to influence any developer decisions.

TBH I quite like the idea of karma. I understand the arguments as discussed above but for me working along side your fellow faction will provide a lot more emergent game play than what is currently an all out death match.

Although I strongly disagree with Scav behaviour having any influence what so ever on your PMC. I think this decision is just wrong. Are we not getting separate stats for each faction? Currently in the character screen there are tabs for overall, PMC and Scav stats. If they are separate there is no reason why Scav behaviour should effect PMC.

I quite like the idea that someone suggest in the other thread related to the translation of this interview. Where behaviour as a Scav effected your cool down time, ie shoot a fellow scav for his loot but incur an additional 30mins (just a time plucked from thin air). So you can do dog eat dog and come out with better loot but your chances to do it again are hindered. Or next time you enter a raid as a Scav you have the chance to be wounded or under the influence of some effect like pain etc. Would need some finesse but either of these sounds like a better option for Scav behaviour than effecting your PMC.

Just my two pence on the discussion.

Generally the interview was a good read, I just wish they would find a little more time to interface with the community with dev diary's or discussions on game features. I realise that this would take some time away from development but believe it could lead to some excellent community suggestions.

Edited by Drofic

29 minutes ago, Drofic said:

No point in discussing it after it has been implemented, as by then the foundation has been laid and it will be to late to influence any developer decisions.

maybe its my bad english, what i was trying to say is not that we should not discuss mechanics that are yet to be implemented, which is not what he was doing, im saying that criticising mechanics before devs even tell us "This is how this mechanic will work" is useless, because we dont know how it will work... in numerous posts on karma, everyone duscussed all the suggestions, but going out and saying "KARMA IS BAD AND WILL RUIN THIS GAME" is just being negative

Edited by FurryAlot