Antideluvian

Why am I unfairly losing my EOD stuff?

Recommended Posts

I bought EFT Edge of Darkness last night after finally saving enough to afford it, installed it, all is well. Played a few offline matches just to get a feel for the game, then about an hour ago I jumped into an online match on Shoreline. After being disconnected about 4-5 times for no reason and managing to reconnect again, I was disconnected once more around the intersection with the bulldozer... and the game was unable to connect.

Then, to add insult to injury, I am branded a Deserter and I lose ALL my non-special items. My BlackRock harness, my Tri-Zip bag, my AKS-74U, my Grach w/ X400, various miscellaneous consumables. Sure, go ahead, take away the EOD bonus items I paid for. Real nice. I appreciate having items I paid for being practically ducking stolen from me for zero reason. Gives me a great first impression.

My ping has never went over ~180 in EFT, and it is most definitely not an issue on my end. I haven't been disconnected or lagged out any of the 10+ games I play in over one continuous year. So what is it that's the problem here? And more importantly, why am I being basically robbed because of your server issue?
 

And most importantly... how and when am I getting my items back? I had them insured, but the disconnect screen told me I won't be getting anything back due to me "deserting" the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Antideluvian said:

My ping has NEVER went over ~180 in EFT

How can you tell? I never heard of ping counter in the game

Also, it's Beta (but I prefer to call it Alpha due to technical status), you are currently tester of the game as the devs try to work on better net code, servers, optimization and stuff. First of all, there will be wipes. So anything you have will be "robbed" anyway before game release.

On the other hand, you can always reset your account to get all starting gear back.

When the game releases at its premiere, and then issue will happen, then start ranting. 'kay?

Edited by Forien
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Forien said:

How can you tell? I never heard of ping counter in the game

Also, it's Beta (but I prefer to call it Alpha due to technical status), you are currently tester of the game as the devs try to work on better net code, servers, optimization and stuff. First of all, there will be wipes. So anything you have will be "robbed" anyway before game release.

On the other hand, you can always reset your account to get all starting gear back.

When the game releases at its premiere, and then issue will happen, then start ranting. 'kay?

He can't there's two confirmed servers which you can gain the IP address off thought cmd and commands - but checking if your ping goes above 180 is technically impossible it would mean you constantly have to ping the servers to see the ping which then results in your ping increasing.

Also this is a "alpha" with a beta name so there's issues only reason it's beta is because the devs wanted please the community and everyone who dind't buy the EoD, so yes alot of issues when there isn't more servers in place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is amazing, i'm legit getting same vibe whenever i read r/TalesFromRetail.

Welcome to Tarkov, snowflake.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LegendaryDragon said:

He can't there's two confirmed servers which you can gain the IP address off thought cmd and commands

CMD command 'ping' never is accurate. Checked it a lot of times with different games with "ping counter" built into them and a lot of times it's different.

Also, ping is not only thing. Ping only means latency, or more exactly - speed of connection between two servers. There is sh*t called your connection bandwidth - basically how much of stuff can you send/receive in the given time. Has nothing to do with latency. There is also packet loss. And, finally, there is a machine. Both PC and server. Both have CPU with running processes, each one of them can slow response time. 

So yes, you can have 0% packet loss, 10ms latency (ping), but you still get desync/disconnection, because for example server takes 5000ms to process your game request with let's say information of your movement and shooting. While it only needs 1ms to process your "ping" request which doesn't involve any CPU-/HDD-heavy operations. 

I won't even start on different VPNs, EU servers, NA servers, login servers etc. I'm not into reverse engineering packets to guess BSG network infrastructure ;) 

There is too much stuff we don't know about their servers. They are aware of issues and are working on them. So can we please stop making new post every hour about that? :D

 

Disclaimer: yes, I oversimplified a lot of stuff here, please take it easy, tech purists ;)

Edited by Forien

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can reset your stash once every two weeks or so, look into your profile top right corner somewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mcloud said:

you can reset your stash once every two weeks or so, look into your profile top right corner somewhere

I think it's twice every two weeks, but yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Forien said:

1) How can you tell? I never heard of ping counter in the game

2) When the game releases at its premiere, and then issue will happen, then start ranting. 'kay?

1) I run Lagometer, it's an years-old app which puts a screen overlay. As I said, I mostly stay around 30-40ms, rarely do I see a spike into the 1xx ms range. 

2) The main issue isn't as much as me losing items, I can just reset everything and get items back. It's with the gear loss system itself. I understand getting your lifetime dose of lead then getting relieved of your items, that's okay, this is a civil war game... but players should not be left butt naked due to a disconnect.

  • Getting all your personal stuff taken by the game through no violation on your side is frustrating;
  • Not knowing what happens with your "body" (does it remain on the map as a corpse to be looted, does it vanish, do your items get hard-deleted, etc.) causes concern over gear loss; 
  • Losing a set of gear can temporarily impair gameplay;
  • Losing uninsured items such as field pickups eliminates profit making for said match;
  • Losing uninsured items such as water, apoteki, bandages, ammo causes a net loss for said match due to resupply expenses;
     

I'll say, with no intention to defend myself on my original post, that I over-reacted due to an initial shock at losing valuable items. Haven't had that "heart sinks into your guy" feeling from any videogame except DayZ and TWD... I am getting seriously hooked by EFT and losing a lot of items is heart-wrenching, especially after the exhilaration of finding valuables such as electronics, ammo, and a shotgun in one single raid.


I think there should be considerations for a system which detects hard connection crashes (such as server disconnects or network failures) and skips the gear loss penalty on those users. That may be difficult to do since it may be abused (players can reset their computers to avoid gear loss, and so on), but it should be on the table. 

Edited by Antideluvian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Antideluvian said:

Then, to add insult to injury, I am branded a Deserter and... I lose ALL my non-special items. My BlackRock harness, my Tri-Zip bag, my AKS-74U, my Grach w/ X400, various miscellaneous consumables... Sure, go ahead, take away the EOD bonus items I paid for. Real nice. I appreciate having items I paid for being practically ducking stolen from me for zero reason. Gives me a great first impression.

  1. All that stuff are not the EoD items, but just regular pleb stuff. You will get the bonus EoD loot in later resets.
  2. The EoD still grants you the Gamma Container, which you cannot obtain otherwise and which grants you a huge advantage in the game. Some, including me, even consider that p2w.
  3. You can reset your profile on your profile page here.
  4. Yes, losing the entire stash for no reason is bs. But it certainly is not the biggest issue this game has right now.
28 minutes ago, LegendaryDragon said:

He can't there's two confirmed servers which you can gain the IP address off thought cmd and commands - but checking if your ping goes above 180 is technically impossible it would mean you constantly have to ping the servers to see the ping which then results in your ping increasing.

The game servers don't react to the ICMP protocol, so using ping on them to check the rtt will just lead to a connection time out. The game servers only react to UDP. The only thing you can possibly use ping on are maybe the lobby servers.

23 minutes ago, Forien said:

CMD command 'ping' never is accurate. Checked it a lot of times with different games with "ping counter" built into them and a lot of times it's different.

Ping is very accurate. If anything the ingame counters are inaccurate by using processed protocols and statistical measures or they simply don't measure the rtt.

14 minutes ago, Antideluvian said:

1) I run Lagometer, it's an years-old app which puts a screen overlay. As I said, I mostly stay around 30-40ms, rarely do I see a spike into the 1xx ms range.

And how do you tell that years-old app which server to ping? The ingame server certainly doesn't respond to it and you cannot measure the timing on UDP packages.

18 minutes ago, Antideluvian said:

The main issue isn't as much as me losing items, I can just reset everything and get items back. It's with the gear loss system itself. I understand getting your lifetime dose of lead then getting relieved of your items, that's okay, this is a civil war game... but players should not be left butt naked due to a disconnect.

In the end it's just that this games quality does not go well with it's concept. There are so many technical issues going on in the game and are likely to increase with every update, that this game becomes ultimately frustrating. I personally find disconnects to be one of the lesser problems, since they do not happen that often. What is more annoying is losing hard earned gear to lags, aimbot AI and nades which kill you through a wall of steel or a giant rock. And with how the development went I don't see those issues going away anytime soon. Those devs are not even able to put out a simple hotfix for the pistol glitch. With a workaround it's possible to fix it in a few minutes/hours without even knowing the source of the problem. They also don't seem to be able to handle the desync server issues. That is worrisome and I don't see this game ever being free of those issues. It will stay forever this way or most likely even worse with more upcoming features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shibby said:

Welcome..and don't worry about your items you are going to get a lot more :)

And loose a lot more.. :D Welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 18K_ said:

@Antideluvian, how are you?

Seeing that you are a new member, I would advise you to read and understand the Forum Rules before creating/commenting on topics.

Thank you.

 

@18K_ I am doing better lol.

Rapidly getting into the game's immersion. Found some premium seating in a bush about 30 yards away from three guys duking it out by the gas station on Shoreline. The winner had a problem with me slowly emerging from the bush, so I un-winner'd him and took everyone's good stuff. I'm really digging the spasmodic, unpredictable gameplay. 

Yes, giving that a thorough read as we speak. Thank you, and pardon me for my previous indiscretions.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're upset, we get it, 99.99% of EFT players have been jewed in some way shape or form, it's in early access for a reason, we are play testers meant to find these game-breaking issues.  What you lost may have been a pre-order bonus but you really didn't lose anything worthwhile.  Everything you lost is dirt cheap and to be honest, you were going to lose it at some point anyway, you will have a chance to get the same stuff again later, trust me, it's not hard to get the items you lost (not downplaying the loss, just letting you know you will get it back almost as easily).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally everything you pick up is expendable at the moment. Glitches, bugs, server wipes - you could potentially lose everything you have at any time. It's a beta - you're only testing the game at this point - it's worth reminding yourself of that before you get too upset about losing gear.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Antideluvian said:

1) I run Lagometer, it's an years-old app which puts a screen overlay. As I said, I mostly stay around 30-40ms, rarely do I see a spike into the 1xx ms range. 

2) The main issue isn't as much as me losing items, I can just reset everything and get items back. It's with the gear loss system itself. I understand getting your lifetime dose of lead then getting relieved of your items, that's okay, this is a civil war game... but players should not be left butt naked due to a disconnect.

  • Getting all your personal stuff taken by the game through no violation on your side is frustrating;
  • Not knowing what happens with your "body" (does it remain on the map as a corpse to be looted, does it vanish, do your items get hard-deleted, etc.) causes concern over gear loss; 
  • Losing a set of gear can temporarily impair gameplay;
  • Losing uninsured items such as field pickups eliminates profit making for said match;
  • Losing uninsured items such as water, apoteki, bandages, ammo causes a net loss for said match due to resupply expenses;
     

I'll say, with no intention to defend myself on my original post, that I over-reacted due to an initial shock at losing valuable items. Haven't had that "heart sinks into your guy" feeling from any videogame except DayZ and TWD... I am getting seriously hooked by EFT and losing a lot of items is heart-wrenching, especially after the exhilaration of finding valuables such as electronics, ammo, and a shotgun in one single raid.


I think there should be considerations for a system which detects hard connection crashes (such as server disconnects or network failures) and skips the gear loss penalty on those users. That may be difficult to do since it may be abused (players can reset their computers to avoid gear loss, and so on), but it should be on the table. 

welcome to 'closed beta' of a game with about 10%  (?) of its content. What the hell did you think you were buying? You are a tester , expect to find bug, lose gear, get killed in weird ways ETC ...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, itsaboutime said:

 get killed in weird ways ETC ...

 Does a door count? xD

4 hours ago, ynefel said:

Literally everything you pick up is expendable at the moment. 

I've pretty much given up on bringing in fancy stuff and play with makarovs now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Antideluvian said:

Does a door count? xD

I've broken my legs which inevitably got me killed, just by walking on an 'uneven' surface haha

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Forien said:

CMD command 'ping' never is accurate. Checked it a lot of times with different games with "ping counter" built into them and a lot of times it's different.

Also, ping is not only thing. Ping only means latency, or more exactly - speed of connection between two servers. There is sh*t called your connection bandwidth - basically how much of stuff can you send/receive in the given time. Has nothing to do with latency. There is also packet loss. And, finally, there is a machine. Both PC and server. Both have CPU with running processes, each one of them can slow response time. 

So yes, you can have 0% packet loss, 10ms latency (ping), but you still get desync/disconnection, because for example server takes 5000ms to process your game request with let's say information of your movement and shooting. While it only needs 1ms to process your "ping" request which doesn't involve any CPU-/HDD-heavy operations. 

I won't even start on different VPNs, EU servers, NA servers, login servers etc. I'm not into reverse engineering packets to guess BSG network infrastructure ;) 

There is too much stuff we don't know about their servers. They are aware of issues and are working on them. So can we please stop making new post every hour about that? :D

 

Disclaimer: yes, I oversimplified a lot of stuff here, please take it easy, tech purists ;)

As a new player I try to play aggresive and gain my stuff but I always have lag or desync. If I am luccky I can get a good raid but most times the servers hate us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruh, Maybe your internet sucks

and maybe its the just the connection.

Dont get attached to your gear 1st and foremost. Those who played DayZ or any other game where you lose gear knows this.

This isnt really your average shooter. so yeah... you will lose gear for BS reasons, but welcome to Tarkov, welcome to Beta. Sh*t happens. 

Get better in the game, start bringing in "drop-gear" as i like to call it, gear that you dont mind losing. and stack up your arsenal.

I have been playing for less than a week since the new beta came out (was out of town) and i already have 13 ak (n)s 1 M4 and a sks......13 AVS rigs, 5 Scav BPs, over 20+ mags for the rigs plus ammo.... all in about 3-4 days span.

Not bragging, but just go with the flow, and you will lose gear in stupid ways. Either cry about it or move on to the next round.

Wreck out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/08/2017 at 6:45 AM, Wreckshop said:

Bruh, Maybe your internet sucks

and maybe its the just the connection.

Dont get attached to your gear 1st and foremost. Those who played DayZ or any other game where you lose gear knows this.

This isnt really your average shooter. so yeah... you will lose gear for BS reasons, but welcome to Tarkov, welcome to Beta. Sh*t happens. 

Get better in the game, start bringing in "drop-gear" as i like to call it, gear that you dont mind losing. and stack up your arsenal.

I have been playing for less than a week since the new beta came out (was out of town) and i already have 13 ak (n)s 1 M4 and a sks......13 AVS rigs, 5 Scav BPs, over 20+ mags for the rigs plus ammo.... all in about 3-4 days span.

Not bragging, but just go with the flow, and you will lose gear in stupid ways. Either cry about it or move on to the next round.

Wreck out 

What edition do you have? May have to upgrade as I couldn't even dream of storing that much in my stash haha

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 7:26 PM, Antideluvian said:

I bought EFT Edge of Darkness last night after finally saving enough to afford it, installed it, all is well. Played a few offline matches just to get a feel for the game, then about an hour ago I jumped into an online match on Shoreline. After being disconnected about 4-5 times for no reason and managing to reconnect again, I was disconnected once more around the intersection with the bulldozer... and the game was unable to connect.

Then, to add insult to injury, I am branded a Deserter and I lose ALL my non-special items. My BlackRock harness, my Tri-Zip bag, my AKS-74U, my Grach w/ X400, various miscellaneous consumables. Sure, go ahead, take away the EOD bonus items I paid for. Real nice. I appreciate having items I paid for being practically ducking stolen from me for zero reason. Gives me a great first impression.

My ping has never went over ~180 in EFT, and it is most definitely not an issue on my end. I haven't been disconnected or lagged out any of the 10+ games I play in over one continuous year. So what is it that's the problem here? And more importantly, why am I being basically robbed because of your server issue?
 

And most importantly... how and when am I getting my items back? I had them insured, but the disconnect screen told me I won't be getting anything back due to me "deserting" the game.

You do not play Russian games. Russian games play you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 10:20 PM, Antideluvian said:

@18K_ I am doing better lol.

Rapidly getting into the game's immersion. Found some premium seating in a bush about 30 yards away from three guys duking it out by the gas station on Shoreline. The winner had a problem with me slowly emerging from the bush, so I un-winner'd him and took everyone's good stuff. I'm really digging the spasmodic, unpredictable gameplay. 

Yes, giving that a thorough read as we speak. Thank you, and pardon me for my previous indiscretions.

It's been a few days, you tried to mention me but the mention color hasn't turned yellow. I never got the notification.

I hope you're still doing good? 

As a side note to your issue, perhaps this might lea you in the right direction as an idea as to why you're experiencing this. 

Remember, we're in the CBT phase, server stability/optimization  are constantly being worked on. 

Welcome to Tarkov!:)

#Discussed #Locked

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.