Sign in to follow this  
livedhealer16

Combating Lower Settings vs High Settings

Hey so I have heard this being a huge issue with PUBG, Player Unknown Battle Grounds. In which people set their game to the lowest settings in order to see other players much more easily. I wanted to know if the Devs have considered this and countered accordingly. I myself have not messed with my graphic settings, so I do not know if it is even possible. But surely there has to be people out there playing this game that do not have as good of a computer as me, thus require to play on a lower graphics setting.

This is a game that is both heavily rewarding and heavily punishing for living and dying respectfully. I do not want to be hiding in a bush or grass and have some dude snipe me from a distance because in his eyes I am just prone on green land.

You can't lower or increase the vegetation rendering distance. Not even devs can do that sadly. Look. Apart from the grass stuff, low or high settings doesn't matter. I'm GE in CSGO on 1920*1080 and all the settings on high, while others are sware, you have to play on 1024*768 with slow DPI and so on. If you can run the game without artifacts and stable FPS, no drops and lag, you are green. By the way, at the moment, enemies see you about 100 in the grass, since it does not render any further. So do not stroll in the middle of the meadow. :D

I heard a youtube who had an interview with the developer say that unfortunately the grass draw distance will remain very short because of the unity game engine.  It must just be one of those areas that the engine does not shine in.

Because of this I think woods needs to really be reworked since the sight distance vs the grass draw is so massive.  Im not sure what they can do, maybe make the terrain less flat, add more rocks or trees that are very thick even at the base.  Customs seems to be best designed around this limitation.  Even shoreline might need some reworking since I often see people crawling on what looks like flat empty terrain but what they think is tall grass.

This is always an issue with games of this nature, but there are downsides to low graphics as well.  War Thunder tanks had this problem until they added foliage at distance but very low resolution.  The result being where as on high settings you could see the tank moving behind the bush through the cracks, on low you couldn't see anything because it was a green blob.  

The grass renderering distance is a joke if it stays that short. They should add a very simple texture of grass to render for further distances so that u cant see players who are prone. The texture should be in all sorts of green and players should "sink in" the texture of the grass so u wouldnt be able to see them. Would be realistic aswell since u cant see ppl in real life hiding in the grass with camo either.

grass in all games can't be rendered far at all it would kill performance  why do you think 

The arma series only renders grass to a point just like players unknown and every other open world game specially online games 

way to many draw calls and what not and to much to render on screen not to mention server side performance would die.. 

we sadly just don't have an game engine that can support it without killing frames to the max 

maybe in the future :) its not as simple as just letting having a simple texture render at a distance it would still require the entire area to be covered to much stuff it would kill the fps.. not possible yet..  

Edited by Exeagle

The Arma solution is one of the best I've seen for this issue. It's not perfect but it works, and I think it could be achieved in unity too. Over a certain distance players and AI sink into the ground very slightly. Most noticeable when prone, this creates the effect of being partially concealed by grass even though it's not actually rendered.

The attached image is a very extreme example from Arma 2 I think but it illustrates my point. I'm not sure who created this image, I found it in a forum somewhere. Credit to them for making it.

IMG_2376.JPG

Edited by Streblo88