56 minutes ago, -Yukon- said:

No, because it's nearly century old.

But it's also a very cheaply produced weapon, which will make it optimal for scavs and anyone just looking to have a weapon in general.

Not all weapons can be Military grade gear, I think the SKS is a great addition :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drakkaar said:

Not all weapons can be Military grade gear, I think the SKS is a great addition :)

SKS is military grade...

@Jagdwyre, I agree with everything you say there... just calling the SKS a DMR is wrong on so many levels.

Edited by trotskygrad

4 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

SKS is military grade...

@Jagdwyre, I agree with everything you say there... just calling the SKS a DMR is wrong on so many levels.

Sorry, I'm no gun expert by any means, don't even own any fire arms.

By military grade I meant that it's out-classed by most of the weapons we've seen so far, but it has a niche.

Edited by Drakkaar

49 minutes ago, Drakkaar said:

Sorry, I'm no gun expert by any means, don't even own any fire arms.

By military grade I meant that it's out-classed by most of the weapons we've seen so far, but it has a niche.

define outclassed. For a single target, it's on par with an AK/AKM, given you probably won't need more than 10 rounds. Where it fails is keeping sustained fire on a target.

3 hours ago, Drakkaar said:

But it's also a very cheaply produced weapon, which will make it optimal for scavs and anyone just looking to have a weapon in general.

No I agree on the Scavs to an extent, actually on another active post, we're having a debate on old guns, I just don't think a PMC like the two given would be using them, and I think they'd be extremely rare to find in a city like Tarkov.

Just now, -Yukon- said:

and I think they'd be extremely rare to find in a city like Tarkov.

Russia stockpiles old weapons so much. Afaik there's 3 AKs for every citizen of russia, so if "Tarkov" has one of these armories there would be enough old SKS/PPSh/Mosin for everyone. Most mosins and mosin ammo on the US market comes from such stockpiles in Ukraine. Russia's are pretty much pristine.

4 hours ago, Drakkaar said:

No I agree on the Scavs to an extent, actually on another active post, we're having a debate on old guns, I just don't think a PMC like the two given would be using them, and I think they'd be

9 minutes ago, trotskygrad said:

Russia stockpiles old weapons so much. Afaik there's 3 AKs for every citizen of russia, so if "Tarkov" has one of these armories there would be enough old SKS/PPSh/Mosin for everyone. Most mosins and mosin ammo on the US market comes from such stockpiles in Ukraine. Russia's are pretty much pristine.

I understand all of this, but a lot of that is rural or in smaller cities. In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for example, I totally get it (to an extent), but Tarkov? I struggle. Refer to debate on weapons page.

6 hours ago, -Yukon- said:

Are you kidding me? Do you realize that the M16's and AK47's of today have 90% of their operation in common with weapon designs from the 20's and 30's? All they do today is take the same gas operated, rotating bolt(or tilting bolt, delayed blowback, etc) weapon systems and make them out of slightly lighter materials and add picatinny rails to them.

Hate to break it to you but small arms design hasn't gone very far since the 50's(which was essentially just pick and choosing things that worked in the 20's, and 30's like I said), the small arm advancement today is in optics/accessories. And between those the biggest game changer was the Red Dot sighting system becoming rugged enough for military use, everything else is just an option for whatever feels better in the individual's hands. A fracking vertical foregrip doesn't make you shoot better and a lot of "teir 1 operators" even prefer not to use them(shocking that this crap isn't an "upgrade" in the real world and has more to do with simple individual preference, I know).

That SKS you write off as being "nearly a century old" can literally be 95% effective compared to an AKM, assuming the variant you have is one that accepts 30 round detachable magazines. It having a rifle grip and having wooden furniture hardly matters at all. Get the ability to slap a side rail and mount on it and put a red dot sight on it i becomes 95% effective with any M16/M4 0-300 meters or practically any other fighting rifle for that matter. Of course, you know this could be completely different in the game if they make the gunplay turn into full auto being the best thing to use all day everyday(which is hardly EVER used on rifles in the real world, even for room clearing and CQC in general).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with modern gear, the biggest advantage it gives you is giving you more options in terms of what you as an individual are most comfortable with. But, ugh, people who think it somehow automatically invalidates "old guns" really grinds my gears sometimes, sometimes I think it gets spouted off by people who don't actually know how guns work or are actually effectively used.

Well, that was long-winded and ranty, sorry.

4 hours ago, trotskygrad said:

SKS is military grade...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, are you saying that I said the SKS was a DMR or are you just venting about the person earlier who said it was? Just in case, to be clear I certainly don't think the SKS is a DMR.

Edited by Jagdwyre
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, -Yukon- said:

I understand all of this, but a lot of that is rural or in smaller cities. In S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for example, I totally get it (to an extent), but Tarkov? I struggle. Refer to debate on weapons page.

have you ever even been to Eastern Europe? because it's pretty clear you haven't

barracks/armory is even in large city

@Jagdwyre referring to original post I replied to that implied SKS was designed to be "mid-long range gun" and called it a DMR,not you. Clearly too much battlefield syndrome

Edited by trotskygrad

4 hours ago, trotskygrad said:

@Jagdwyre referring to original post I replied to that implied SKS was designed to be "mid-long range gun" and called it a DMR,not you. Clearly too much battlefield syndrome

I still have flashbacks of the gameplay designer of Battlefield 3 saying the "AK47 was outdated," trying to justify why no AK47/AKM variant ever ended up in BF3, only to see an SKS as an option for the Recon class. Needless to say, that totally blew my mind.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jagdwyre said:

I still have flashbacks of the gameplay designer of Battlefield 3 saying the "AK47 was outdated," trying to justify why no AK47/AKM variant ever ended up in BF3, only to see an SKS as an option for the Recon class. Needless to say, that totally blew my mind.

People treating the SKS in BF3 as a sniper rifle makes me cringe and still baffled me to this day that the AKM is not in BF3 despite that weapon being common in modern battlefields. The SKS is a semi automatic carbine designed in WWII so modern terms wont apply.

5 hours ago, TovarishTony said:

People treating the SKS in BF3 as a sniper rifle makes me cringe and still baffled me to this day that the AKM is not in BF3 despite that weapon being common in modern battlefields. The SKS is a semi automatic carbine designed in WWII so modern terms wont apply.

I suspect it's because the BF3 devs didn't actually know how guns work. It also brings up another hilarious tidbit about the development of BF4, in an interview the.. Lead Producer I want to say? Maybe it was the Creative Director, anyways, he said the main source material for their weaponry in BF4 were things like Youtube videos... It was a massive facepalm moment for me I read that.

I think after that I've come to have a special appreciation for devs that actually understand firearms, own them or have shot them personally, and care about the authenticity of the gunplay. If not, I'd rather talented FPS developers would just focus on fictional settings where they can create whatever they design(which I have no problem with at all, it makes for some awesome games). But when it comes to trying to make a game in a "realistic" setting using real world weaponry I'd honestly rather have devs who have a healthy respect for the real thing be working on it. Thankfully I'm sure the devs working on Escape from Tarkov do.

On 4/29/2016 at 10:01 AM, -Yukon- said:

How do you figure that?

To be a century old, or even close to that, you would need about 34 more years. So at best, the rifle is around 66 years old or close to 3/4 of a century. The M16 is not that much younger either. The M16, AK47, and SKS saw extensive use in the Korean and Vietnam wars. AFAIK the SKS is still used in China for the Military parades and other honor guard situations. The SKS is still in active use today just like how the M16 is still in active use today as is the AK47. Heck, even the Mosin Nagant is in active use in war today.

I might also mention that the Mosin uses the 7.62x54mmR round. The same round used by the SVD, PKP, and PKM. I personally own both the SKS and an Mosin and can attest to their usefulness. Sure, in a full-auto battle they are less effective at suppressing the enemy, but they are excellent at medium-close range, focused fire. Heck, my Mosin has iron sights that range out to 1km. Do I think it is effective at that range? no. But,, that round is devastating. I routinely use thick trees to hold my targets and several times, the bullet has passed through the trunk of two trees.

IMHO the SKS would be expected to be seen in a DMR role inside urban areas as the barrel is usually shorter than that of the SVD and still packs a punch.

"Mosin Nagant......for when enemies hide behind things. "

8 hours ago, Sascomander said:

Q8HiNJm.gif

SKS needs a pepto Bismol.

N-no Sascomander kun, I eject from there :DDDD 

• Upvote 1

I was going to post something, then I saw the S#it storm it devolved into near the top of this page when someone makes the wrong note.

Then I was going to post something light to even the mood, but Sascomander beat me to it.

So, I'll just say this.

WHY WOULD YOU TACTICOOL AN SKS LIKE THAT? It was fine as it was.

To Tarkov! :cannedmilk:

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Zoraxon said:

I was going to post something, then I saw the S#it storm it devolved into near the top of this page when someone makes the wrong note.

Then I was going to post something light to even the mood, but Sascomander beat me to it.

So, I'll just say this.

WHY WOULD YOU TACTICOOL AN SKS LIKE THAT? It was fine as it was.

To Tarkov! :cannedmilk:

Making tacticool WWII weapons are a disrespect to how the weapons are designed back then.

1 hour ago, TovarishTony said:

Making tacticool WWII weapons are a disrespect to how the weapons are designed back then.

Ya if it was an original rifle it should be kept in . But in the US there is a large number of Chinese Norinco SKS clone rifles that were never made for the military just Civilian sale in the US and I don't really care what people do with those.

• Upvote 1