Eqlibrium

ETA regarding improving soundsystem?

Current ingame soundsystem isnt great at all, position and depth or what you wanna call it is terrible, sound from other players bleeding into the noise\sounds i make. For example.

If a player is above me i will automatically make more noise, if player near or above me is running my character also make weird sounds like im sprinting even tho i move slow.

If someone is after me, most of the time i have to guess where he will make contact, often i die because i think he is coming from the opposite direction. Impossible to locate him by sound if he dont step on something you know where is if you know the map well enough.

Players can walk up stairs right beside you, sounds like they is far away. Just to shot you in the back because you trusted the sound.

Some players can sprint and not make sound at all. Is it related to desync or is it a bug in the game it self?

Walking on some surfaces make so much noise, walk on wooden floor above minimal speed sounds like you are running + stomping. IS it only me that think its freakishly loud compared to metal etc? Like in factory 3 floor, if you dont wanna announce you are there you have to walk as slow as possible. 1 notch above = allot of noise.  

Any news regarding 5.1 sound? I have tried to get info regarding this for maybe 8 month, others have also asked about this. But never get a reply, not that iv seen anyways. Why cant you share some information on how its going? Are there issues you struggle to fix, it was implemented for a short time. But was little bugged like much of the sound i made came from rear speakers. Other than that, it was a huge improvement compared to what we got to day. I learned factory when it was enabled, when i got used to hearing my self in the rear it was like day and night regarding hearing where other player where. So was a bit disepointed when i read it was fixed, just to realize you just went back to the good old stereo thats been used since i got the game.

:)

• Upvote 3

With the current issues this issue is super low importance, probably around adding a new profile pic to the last trader.

Well, not so sure a person that knows photoshop etc can improve this much. :P

Edited by Eqlibrium

It does need a complete over hall, I have issues locating people because the sound isn't portrayed for depth very well.

Yeah the sound needs a little bit of work, coming from Arma3 i really had problems at first to guess the distance to firefights, exploding nades and running people, so in regard to sourround sound there is still room for improvment.

Regarding noise you make and noise you hear when other players walk, it seems to me that there is a difference between what you hear as your noise ( i often feel like i'm extremly loud even when walking minimal speed on some surfaces) and what other players hear from you as noise.

It often happend to me that people were snekaing up to me without making a sound, i just heard the last step when they turned before they shot me. 

On the other hand when i'm sneaking up on someone i always have the feeling they must hear me miles away.

Same opinion here. Would even say that the sound system (just locating players) is terrible atm. If I'm on Factory and someone shoots in the other hall it just sounds like hes beneath me somehow. 

this entire game is a" issue" don´t waste more time, i will wait the patches of the next months to paly it beacuse now is a mess ,is not funny , a lot of mechanics of the game are broken and the current game mode is repetitive and absurd and the netcode makes the game unplayable

Edited by Plata-O-Plomo93
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Plata-O-Plomo93 said:

this entire game is a" issue" don´t waste more time, i will wait the patches of the next months to ply it beacuse now is a mess ,is not funny , a lot of mechanics of the game are broken and the current game mode is repetitive and absurd

Kind of agree with you, and I think it's the dev's fault. To me, they should of been waiting to implement the first game mechanic, like questing, because right now everybody thinks it is a deathmatch/looting game, and lot's of game already do this. But this is our fault too, we are the people asking for playing the game before release. To me they made naming errors, how can you call the current build of the game "BETA", when we all know this is not a beta but an "ALPHA"

ALPHA= implementing game mechanics

BETA= balancing and bug fixing before release

They made errors sure, but only because we asked to play the game early.

That's the problem with early acces games, i backed and played wasteland 2 and divinity original sin in early acces, had to restart the games multiple times, and now i did not finished them because i seen the start of the game too much times

So take your time, go play something else and in a few weeks you will have new game mechanics to explore!

6 hours ago, niko7080 said:

Kind of agree with you, and I think it's the dev's fault. To me, they should of been waiting to implement the first game mechanic, like questing, because right now everybody thinks it is a deathmatch/looting game, and lot's of game already do this. But this is our fault too, we are the people asking for playing the game before release. To me they made naming errors, how can you call the current build of the game "BETA", when we all know this is not a beta but an "ALPHA"

ALPHA= implementing game mechanics

BETA= balancing and bug fixing before release

They made errors sure, but only because we asked to play the game early.

That's the problem with early acces games, i backed and played wasteland 2 and divinity original sin in early acces, had to restart the games multiple times, and now i did not finished them because i seen the start of the game too much times

So take your time, go play something else and in a few weeks you will have new game mechanics to explore!

alpha- implementing core game mechanics.

beta- implementing content and bug fixes.

Inside, sound can play serious tricks on you.

What gets my goats, is when Im hiding in a bush in Customs, and there's an ass-ton of gunfire happening, I have no idea where its coming from. Ill sit there and turn a full 360, and the sounds only escape my front speakers...

When I was in technical school, we were about half a mile away from the Highway Patrol Academy. Believe me, you could tell who was shooting what when they did range duty. :begreat:

sound is so incredibly important in this game - listening to enemies around and their positions - that you are right, this should be a priority.

• Like 1

You could easily calssify EFT's (current) sound engine as either mediocre or "placeholder" depending on your opinion. There's no easily perceptible direction and no reverb, echo or dampening. Maps do little to nothing to affect sounds, sans rain.

Not mad, it is still being worked on as far as we know.

Am 12.9.2017 um 23:15 schrieb Carl_Wheezer:

alpha- implementing core game mechanics.

beta- implementing content and bug fixes.

We're still missing a whole lot of the former...like almost the complete skill system, persistence of damage / wounds, poisoning and radiation...to just name a few.

Yeah, I would still consider this game heavily as "in alpha / early access" state. So the graphics engine and the sound engine occur to me as THE TWO most important core game mechanics to actually play this game properly in any way. Hope the sounds are a top priority as they should be. I'm really happy with the graphics already -- add a working 5.1 sound system and this game will shine like never before :)

Agree, graphics are fine overall. Not a huge fan of the way grass renders at larger distances tho. So hoping there is solutions to improve this because its so easy to spot player for example over the river in customs. Even in the middle there isnt grass to cover you. And some textures are bad, like foliage has low resolution.. I will not complain if graphics gets better overall and textures gets better.. Guns look great tho, can even see scratches and fingerprints on some of them, so im very impressed with the guns overall. Also, people have different tasks, i dont think the people that works with graphics are experts on sound.

But soundsystem is much more important at the moment, and i cant say i hear any improvements at all since i got the game. Seems to be stagnant compared to how the rest of the game has evolved since i got it. I cant understand why, and why nobody inside can give us a little input why this is.. Played for a couple of hours this morning, 3 times iv been killed be silent hatchlings and i think somebody is coming from the wrong place. You cant even hear if somebody is coming at you from behind or front, there isnt depth or 3d feel to it at all.  So, what are you thats working with sound working on??? :P

Edited by Eqlibrium

On 9/18/2017 at 2:18 AM, Eqlibrium said:

But soundsystem is much more important at the moment, and i cant say i hear any improvements at all since i got the game. Seems to be stagnant compared to how the rest of the game has evolved since i got it. I cant understand why, and why nobody inside can give us a little input why this is.. Played for a couple of hours this morning, 3 times iv been killed be silent hatchlings and i think somebody is coming from the wrong place. You cant even hear if somebody is coming at you from behind or front, there isnt depth or 3d feel to it at all.  So, what are you thats working with sound working on??? :P

I agree!

But at the same time, I'm sure the devs have better code in the works so the sounds are pooled correctly based on what is initiation them.  Since the game isn't optimized, I could see the game eating up even more ram if all the effects played correctly, but weren't allocated efficiently. Think of all the math to calculate your relation to other sounds in real time xD

If any of you use surround sound - turn it off. The game just doesn't support it at the moment. Even then the sound is still pretty bad though. I hope the devs stop being silent on this VERY important aspect of the game.

Yes sound is not as it should or at least not at the ambitious level the dev's aiming at. we are going to have a lot of bugs and hair pulling over Tarkov until release, that's what we signed up for, happy bug full hunting y'all ;)

• Like 1

Not only is the sound absolute garbage, but the sound WORKING is bad as can be too. I have been saying this since I started playing, there are so many issues like sound that should have been fixed LONG BEFORE this game ever hit "beta" (Not to mention the 6.5 other maps that are suppose to be coming out...when exactly???)

So many times I have been killed while looting by someone who ran right up behind me and knifed me to death without me hearing ANYTHING AT ALL, this even happens all the time on factory, ON THE METAL FLOOR that even slow walking makes noise. I have been in a squad and had TMs see someone RUN right up behind me and kill me and I could not hear a damn thing,,even with comtecs. *I have a Hypercloud XII 7.1 headset and play my game pretty loud.

It's so game breaking in a game where you can 1-2 shot knife people and they cannot hear you coming.

And I agree 100% with others, the sound/surround sound is a JOKE for a PC FPS. It's next to impossible to tell where you are being shot at from, or where shots are being fired on the map 80% of the time.

The game is fun as hell, me and my friends play everyday, but amateur mess ups like  a completely bad sound system and characters/AI sometimes being able to move through you/vice versa, and other times you run into them like a wall, upon "beta" release is a bad sign IMO.

edit: Also, it's not sound desync, it happens far to often and in maps where there is no sign of desync present. Sounds just do not work properly.

Edited by Viper0hr