hembree840

Hatchet deterent

I would love to see less people using hatchets because it makes the game feel more comical than "hardcore" but, I don't want it removed completely either. I think if everyone was given a Makarov with 8-16 rounds to start with and the hatchet/knife as a back-up, the gameplay would feel more natural and fun IMO. Regardless, the game is fun and I'm still excited now matter how many rounds I waste on hatchlings. Thank you BSG :) 

Edited by hembree840

The hatchet meta isn't ideal, eventually there will be something along the lines of a cool off recovery period or a treatment cost. Giving people a free firearm would severely downplay the games difficulty IMO and encourage players who already lay in a bush prone with a hatchet to lay in a bush prone with a gun. At least at the moment they have to be right on you to kill you, I'd rather not give everyone infinite free chances to prone jump me from range.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

No! Even the standard edition of the game gets what 50k roubles to start. Nobody should get a gun for free you must either find it in the game or buy it from traders.

My deterant would be you lose the hatchet/melee weapon on death and can choose to buy another one.

• Like 1

The proposed persistant health between raids will make hatchet running a very high risk strategy. Deal with it for now, hatchlings won't be around forever.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, deathopz said:

No! Even the standard edition of the game gets what 50k roubles to start. Nobody should get a gun for free you must either find it in the game or buy it from traders.

My deterant would be you lose the hatchet/melee weapon on death and can choose to buy another one.

Ive been without money with an empty stash before...

Sure you can do Scav raids and find something... but over half of my Scav raids Im spawn-killed... its nice to have something to fall back to, and that crappy little poo knife isnt worth a broken farthing. :betoung:

Also, for Standard Edition, we get 100k(I think), a couple AKS-U's, and a few Mak's and mags. Also a couple vests(AVS I think) and a MBSS or two. Not a bad start, but it didnt take long to lose it all. :bemaybe:

2 minutes ago, Deadmode said:

The proposed persistant health between raids will make hatchet running a very high risk strategy. Deal with it for now, hatchlings won't be around forever.

Im not as convinced as everyone else... the Hideout will help. Also, stick with me here; you make it out of a hatchet run, badly injured, but well stocked. Offload gear into stash, re-enter the battlefield "naked", die, fresh start. It only makes the process a mite more tedious.

I think their numbers will dwindle after a time, but never to be completely eradicated. Ive done what Ive had to do to get things in this game, and a hatchet run can be very exhilarating, and even rewarding when you have success. That being said, nothing is a rewarding as those long from all the way across the Factory floor. :beawesome:

Well, maybe a good snipe from across Customs, but I wouldnt know, because scopes dont work too well for me(big fps drop) and Customs hasnt worked since I found my M4's... hoping the next patch fixes that. :begreat:

Lastly; my idea of hatchet deterrent has always been a 12 gauge.  :unice:

26 minutes ago, rocketjockeyr6 said:

Ive been without money with an empty stash before...

Sure you can do Scav raids and find something... but over half of my Scav raids Im spawn-killed... its nice to have something to fall back to, and that crappy little poo knife isnt worth a broken farthing. :betoung:

Also, for Standard Edition, we get 100k(I think), a couple AKS-U's, and a few Mak's and mags. Also a couple vests(AVS I think) and a MBSS or two. Not a bad start, but it didnt take long to lose it all. :bemaybe:

In the instance you lose everything guess what you can just go into woods or customs or even shoreline and 99% of the time if you go day or night you can avoid all confrontation untill you run to extraction. However you can store items like gphones in your alpha container to sell so even if you die you make profit until you can afford weapons again.

• Upvote 1

I mentioned this in another’s post somewhere, but DevilDogGamer did a 30 minute video of starting from absolutely empty stash to geared up. Play right and it’s not hard at all. 

I personally don’t mind the hatchlings, and if their numbers reduce then that’s fine too. I appreciate that the persistsnt health may not fully rid Tarkov of them, but it’ll help and there may even be other mechanics that could further punish death as part of it that could make the meta more unviable. 

2 hours ago, deathopz said:

In the instance you lose everything guess what you can just go into woods or customs or even shoreline and 99% of the time if you go day or night you can avoid all confrontation untill you run to extraction. However you can store items like gphones in your alpha container to sell so even if you die you make profit until you can afford weapons again.

Since the last patch Ive been unable to play any map other than Factory...

RAM leaks are supposed to be addressed this patch, so I am hopeful.

When I was able to play large maps, a water bottle and an IFAK usually occupy 3/4 spaces in the alpha box, and usually only the odd key or cpu ends up in the last slot. On Factory, I go in empty and check jackets for tool kits, they fit so well in the box. :bemaybe:

And Customs... Ive never once extracted from Customs as a PMC... Always gunned down at the checkpoint, or in the dorms... and at least once on the road. :begreat: 

Once big maps are playable again, I will likely join TaW, and lonely runs will be no more. :unice: But Factory is small enough for me to operate alone, and be mostly successful with little more than a TT and a shotty.

But when Im broke, and the stash is bare, and the Scav timer's a tickin', they call me Butcher Pete. xDxDxD 

I find a bullet in the head on the hatchling a pretty well-functioning deterrent. 

You should try it. 

In all seriousness, make the swinging use stamina. That's it.

Hatchet deterrents ?

Makarov, Grach, TT, MP153, Saiga, AKSU, AK74, M4, RGD5, F1 , oh and , yeah , hatchets naturally .

And as @tobiassolem stated : let the swinging cost stamina, problem curbed .

i mainly did hatchet runs because it takes time re-arming everything, sometimes i just want a quick game/raid. would be nice to make a custom preset so i can quick buy everything.

5 hours ago, rocketjockeyr6 said:

Offload gear into stash, re-enter the battlefield "naked", die, fresh start.

This will cost even more in skills rollback.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PotatoWarriah said:

This will cost even more in skills rollback.

Are there circumstances that effect which skills lose value and how much? Cuz I'll come into the battlefield half naked, half dead but still fightin. :begreat: 

I got Sioux in my bloodline, a hatchet is in my practical nature. :bemaybe:

Also, the Hideout will allow anyone hurt from any raid time to heal. Again, really only makes the process more tedious... and expensive, if you dont have the necessary med supplies. 

9 hours ago, rocketjockeyr6 said:

Are there circumstances that effect which skills lose value and how much? Cuz I'll come into the battlefield half naked, half dead but still fightin. :begreat: 

I got Sioux in my bloodline, a hatchet is in my practical nature. :bemaybe:

Also, the Hideout will allow anyone hurt from any raid time to heal. Again, really only makes the process more tedious... and expensive, if you dont have the necessary med supplies. 

Mechanics are not known yet, but basically you have skills like Metabolism, that affects how much your physical skills get rolled back (when you have metabolism on Elite, then no rollback of these 6 physical skills that we have now occurs).
Similar is for other skills but they are governed by different one that controls rollback (i.e. mental skills rollback will probably be all controlled by memory skill, and there might be some that are always rolled back on death, or there will be more skills that prevent their rollback).

Anyway, I do not expect that anyone playing with hatchet only more than once in 20 raids will be able to get to the max skills, ever.

On 23.10.2017 at 5:11 AM, hembree840 said:

I think if everyone was given a Makarov with 8-16 rounds to start with and the hatchet/knife as a back-up, the gameplay would feel more natural and fun IMO. 

Uhm,... they do... everyone starts with 4-5 pistols IIRC and around 300 000 roubles, which should be enough to buy at least 50 more with ammo and mags.

And don't forgets scav mode where you can take free gun every 30 minutes and just leave.

People don't run hatchlings because they have no weapon. They run hatchlings because they can't handle loosing gear.
So they just run around naked, while having 20 M4s and dozens of pistols in stash

5 hours ago, Forien said:

And don't forgets scav mode where you can take free gun every 30 minutes and just leave.

People don't run hatchlings because they have no weapon. They run hatchlings because they can't handle loosing gear.
So they just run around naked, while having 20 M4s and dozens of pistols in stash

Not this guy... :bewhink:

Too greedy to just to a Scav fly by... gotta load up or it isnt worth it. :betoung:

And if Ive got even just a Makarov I'll step onto the Factory floor and "clock in". :begreat:

But like I said before... no cash... empty stash... I believe the song goes, "He's hackin and whackin and slashin!"

5 hours ago, PotatoWarriah said:

Mechanics are not known yet, but basically you have skills like Metabolism, that affects how much your physical skills get rolled back (when you have metabolism on Elite, then no rollback of these 6 physical skills that we have now occurs).
Similar is for other skills but they are governed by different one that controls rollback (i.e. mental skills rollback will probably be all controlled by memory skill, and there might be some that are always rolled back on death, or there will be more skills that prevent their rollback).

Anyway, I do not expect that anyone playing with hatchet only more than once in 20 raids will be able to get to the max skills, ever.

Thanks for the info. And most agreed about the last bit. :begood:

Cheers

I definitely don't like the Hatchet meta.... however I don't believe directly supplying the player with a weapon is the correct course of action. 

For instance, lowering the SCAV cooldown was a huge step in the right direction, I'd rather have people spawn as scavs than feel like they have to hatchet run to scavenge loot. 

You might as well make SCAV runs even shorter of a cool down if your suggestion is to just "give" the player a pistol.. because that's precisely what a scav run is. 

On 10/23/2017 at 8:46 AM, deathopz said:

I'm am pretty sure it is 200K roubles to start and a 10x20 stash. After the new preorder upgrades that should be increased to 300K roubles and a 10x50 stash.

A "KICK" command would be nice. Imagine kicking a hatchling off you and then lining up the shot, would be so awesome and realistic. 

17 hours ago, Pocketlite20 said:

I'm am pretty sure it is 200K roubles to start and a 10x20 stash. After the new preorder upgrades that should be increased to 300K roubles and a 10x50 stash.

My point is you start with some money so why should you be given anything else for nothing.?

1 hour ago, deathopz said:

My point is you start with some money so why should you be given anything else for nothing.?

I know.