The_Berg

How do you contend with poeple who have better gear than you?

How do you contend with poeple who have better gear than you? its hard to go up against snipers with pistols

try doing fast runs with a tomahawk against scavs with shotguns. aim for the head. take the loot and get out. or every 30 minutes you play as a scav on customs then head straight for the exits and camp them and kill people exiting or just take the scav loot you get. its a slow(ish) process in the start but practice makes perfect.

• Sad 3

Try and sneak around, I got the drop on two fully geared players just because they ran though trees and bushes and I heard them. Try to get behind players too, listen out for gun shots and work around behind them. Have had so many good raids just from sneaking around. 

Think about how you would approach situations if you were there IRL. Sniper overlooking a route you want to take? Take a different route. Spot a geared guy in dorms? Either avoid dorms until he's gone or plan an ambush. Survival and success in EFT is about being proactive and not reactive whilst preparing and adapting to the situations you are faced with.

To beat a geared player or two with a pistol, you need to make sure you are the one controlling when and where that engagement happens from an advantageous position. If things don't go to plan, don't expect to shoot your way out of it, rather retreat, relocate and, if you feel up to it, try another approach.

Gear doesn't make people invincible at all and pretty most weapons can kill someone armoured and geared quickly when used right. Use the right tools in the right way. Shotguns are not ideal against armour unless you aim for unarmoured parts like the legs or face. Place pistol and rifle shots carefully to hit the chest and head. If you have grenade, use them. Your best form of attack though, is surprise.

Edited by Deadmode
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, CaptiveHat said:

try doing fast runs with a tomahawk against scavs with shotguns. aim for the head. take the loot and get out. or every 30 minutes you play as a scav on customs then head straight for the exits and camp them and kill people exiting or just take the scav loot you get. its a slow(ish) process in the start but practice makes perfect.

Whatever you do, dont listen do this dude. Dont add to the pieces of crap exit campers already in game. Sneak around places. Id reccommend running some hatchet runs in factory although you still may die more than you make it out. If you can get a buddy to play you can sneak around easier. Some times early on it just comes with luck, other times it comes with skill aim for the head. Dont give up just keep trying. You will start to put together better runs getting better gear. You may lose some along the way but hey its Tarkov.

It comes down a lot to where you are, where your targets are at, how aware they are, and how aware you are.  It is a given that you're going to have a hard time taking down an automatic rifle, a sniper rifle, etc when you only have a pistol but it can be done you just need to know when and where to start your attack, if you can lay an ambush that's the best way to do it, or if you have the talent you can Shadow them and wait for them to start looting before you spring an attack

If you wish to neutralise him, you have the effect of surprise, you can ambush him or wait for the right moment. If not, flee ;)

If I see a better geared player, then I kill him. That's how I contend :D

But usually they see me first and I die. Horribly. Oh well :D 

Now, I'll try to be serious. If I do low gear runs (let's say pistols), then I avoid top-gear hostiles. If I see them, I withdraw, if they shoot in my direction, I try to run into cover or if I can - run away as far as possible. If I see good opportunity (for example he is looting), then I take my chances. But usually, with a pistol, against a fort+kiver target, you stand no chances (unless you have element of surprise and your target easily panics or is not capable of "fixing" his situation).

A "short" story from me:

Day or two days ago, I was on a factory run with a MP-153 shotgun with 8-shell tube and 30 shells in pockets, nothing else. I was hiding scared in the showers, because I heard at least two distinct full auto weapons on the floor above me, making salad of players and scavs. But I heard they split up, one was on the stairs, and one opened the safe. I moved silently to the doors. Guy upstairs started looting drawers, and the other one went outside to the double crates. I rushed that guy, fired 9 buckshots in his legs (he had kiver so I assumed at least PACA, so legs were only spot I knew I can deal damage). I killed him after I think 7th shot, opened him, took his kiver, fort, silenced AKSU, tri-zip and whatever he had, without searching him, and I just bailed out to the tunnels (while shot at from the hole near offices by his buddy), and then I slowed down, heard that the other guy went towards "free exit", so I used my factory key and extracted near offline. 

But events like this are rare (at least for me), and they are mix of luck, your own skill and lack of skill on the part of your enemy (or his carelessness). In the "story" above (which was true btw), my enemies became careless after killing few scavs, they split up and started looting. Guy I killed didn't stop looting when I opened the door, that was his mistake. He gave me time to sprint to him and to start shredding his legs.

Edited by Forien
  • Hot 1

Cover from cover

close the gap

have painkillers on quickslot

aim for the head

*these tips doesn't work on bad locations like factory

Smart thing is not to be trigger happy and engage on YOUR terms. Set the strategic battlefield and let enemies play into your hand not via versa. 

Edited by sYs

2 minutes ago, sYs said:

Smart thing is not to be trigger happy and engage on YOUR terms. Set the strategic battlefield and let enemies play into your hand not via versa. 

Sounds like Sun Tzu :)

Just now, DjiRo said:

It kinda is, but put in different words :D (I actually read it from time to time, helps me when making RPG campaigns for my players :D

39 minutes ago, The_Berg said:

How do you contend with poeple who have better gear than you? its hard to go up against snipers with pistols

Close the distance.

There is nothing more annoying than trying to use a scope to hit sombody close by.

Snipers are extremely rare. Otherwise, your best bet is going for headshots and that way insta kills. Also try to get granades. Most importand part though is being patient. If you rush things they can go wrong real fast. You need to catch those beefy, tasty looking, armored to the teeth motherfackers in their most vulnerable moment. Ez Pz.

GL :)

Save up and buy better gear it's as simple as that. Group up your chances of survival are alot higher then being on your own.

Gear dont make the player. Learn how stuff works and youll see. Just need more experience. Stuck in you evolution? Ask appropriate questions about what you problem is. Gl.

Edited by varggift

35 minutes ago, DjiRo said:

Never read the guy :( tho the "The Art of War" been on my must read at least once in lifetime list for a long time :( I'm not a reading person which i believe everyone should be. 

Just now, sYs said:

Never read the guy :( tho the "The Art of War" been on my must read at least once in lifetime list for a long time :( I'm not a reading person which i believe everyone should be. 

It's the book next to my bed :)

First part of the book is historical, you can skip it to the rules of the General. I've been reading it for years, you can apply the rules to videogames and to life also. Rules such as know yourself, always leave a way out to an enemy or he will fight to the death, but above all, the best strategy is to avoid a conflict.

Ask someone to offer it to you at Xmas ;)

If you engage a target try not to continue the fight from the position you initiated. This can sometimes be easier said than done but situational awareness is at the top of my priority list from the first engagement to the last scav/player down. 

Also on a side note, do not loot the moment you down somebody. With the new scav mechanic and not knowing if your target has a friend, it’s imperative you are patient. Who knows, you might bag an extra kill if you don’t loot immediately.

Best of luck! 

Do some Pistol Runs on factory to get low lvl gear. Kill some scavs and extract till you got a nice amount of semi-pumpguns and/or aks. Then farm money and do quest to lvl up traders to get better gear. While doing that there will be always chances to kill high geared players...

and please dont do knife runs. It's just stupid and you get more gear while having at least a pistol eqipped. Knife Runners dropping like flies in the first 5 min of a match.

4 hours ago, The_Berg said:

try like everybody to do only headshots. right now helmets are useless so 1-2 tap in the head and its gg.

against snipers with pistols, now that's a hard one. Snipers put themselves in generally defensible positions either by inability to reach, or with lots of clear open ground for them to scan. I'd recommend  you not engaging them. Against any greater foe, you're going ot need to use that big ole muscle up in your cranium:

I had a scav run on customs, lots of mid-geared PMC running around so i ran to 3story dorm and just waited. Sure enough i heard the thump thump thump of the PMC getting around and looting after busting in with scavs on his tail. So i waited and waited, and he came up to LVL3 to loot the green crate in the middle. Stood out, 2 shots to the head and i had a MP153, new rig, and AKS74U. then some peskky bears showed up to loot that body (made sure i left some stuff on there to make it look good). So i fired down the hallway and two pushed my door and i ended up winning, less a shot to the gut.

Ultimately i spent too much time thinking i'd seen a third. And i had. It's just i didn't see i killed him, and ended up dying to dehydration scrounging the dorms for some drink before i tried to XFIL.

Alas scav runs are cruel ;)

But if you can't win in a firefight, use ambush.

Patience.  I'm assuming in these situations you're referring to, you are aware of them but they are not actively attempting to engage you.  Therefor, patience is the key.  

Waiting for the 'while they're looting' opportunity is probably the ideal situation.  Especially if you can close the distance beforehand to a short sprint or even effective pistol range from your position.

One of the first raids I did on Customs I was on the main road by the bus depot (I was newbing it up by wandering aimlessly here lol)  I came across a couple scavs and took them out with my Vityaz and started looting... I was just finishing looting the second guy when I heard steps close. I popped out of the loot screen and had a guy with a hatchet rushing me... instinct and decent hip firing on full auto saved me here... but another player with a firearm of ANY kind has me dead to rights.

12 hours ago, jukeboxknox said:

Whatever you do, dont listen do this dude. Dont add to the pieces of crap exit campers already in game. Sneak around places. Id reccommend running some hatchet runs in factory although you still may die more than you make it out. If you can get a buddy to play you can sneak around easier. Some times early on it just comes with luck, other times it comes with skill aim for the head. Dont give up just keep trying. You will start to put together better runs getting better gear. You may lose some along the way but hey its Tarkov.

its tarkov. dont rule out any options. do what you must for gear even if it means being a complete scumbag.

• Like 1