fast_eddie

Almost 50 years old and my thoughts on this game...

Ive been playing games of some kind since I was a teenager.
Cut my teeth on CS and Half Life and Quake and Unreal and BF2 and ArmA and PUBG etc etc etc.

I have followed Tarkov from the start, but only just got into buying it.

Basic package and in I go....

Jees, its tough! Very very steep learning curve, but I'm guessing that's where the appeal is.

Ive played a few rounds now, and my funds are slowly depleting.

Its looking like the best way to play this game to learn, is to play as a scav, then go play Pubg for half an hour until the timer restarts for the scav?

I have been playing games for a fair while now, but this is a tough cookie! I like it but being a Scav looks like the best way to learn quickly so far?

Having an internet map up of where you have spawed into on a different device helps a bucket load too! Pressing M, I guess is for noobs!

Hints and tips accepted but Im guessing, the game is working as intended and silly old feckers like me just need to learn the hard way :)

Jon

We all learned the hard way, try using the offline mode, no gains, no losses, you can practice everything without concequences, just like being a kid again ;) 

• Upvote 1

everybody who is complete new to the game i would tell, look some youtube guides first to get some knowledge about the gamemechanics, after that do offline raids a lot to get knowledge about the maps (google search for "tarkov maps" also helps a lot)

then do scav runs as often you can, because its free gear and even if you run completely out of gear on your main char, just delete the stuff in the inventory, restart the game and tada, tarkov gave you 50k roubles in your stash, enough to buy s small equip for your pmc again and again :)

after you finishing your first raids sucessfully and know the basic mechanics a little better, i would say its time to find a group or another player you would like to play with, there is no faster way to get good in eft then learning from more expirienced players and run raids togheter with them :)

if you played allready a lot games like arma etc. then it will be easier for you to get in, just take your time and dont compare to expirienced players in the beginning, you need hundreds of hours before you rly know what you are doing :D

• Like 1

Ok thanks guys, thats really good advice! 

I need to chill out with the game I suppose because I was expecting to be able to jump straight in lol

Can you tell me about the deleting stuff in the inventory bit to gain 50k?-Can I do that a lot?

Cheers

Jon

Offline mode is a good way to learn the scavs, pmc spawns, and exits. I done a lot of youtube when I started. also check out streamers. klean up guy is pretty good to watch. Deadly slob puts up some good tip vids like the link below. Also if you run out of gear and cash you could reset your account. You will loss everything including stats but will have all the starter gear back :) 

vor 32 Minuten schrieb fast_eddie:

Can you tell me about the deleting stuff in the inventory bit to gain 50k?-Can I do that a lot?

you can do that as often as you want, each time you restart your game with an complete empty hideoutstash you get 50k roubles

the problem is you cant store any kind of items with that tactic, but for the beginning its a nice feature

dont know if you are allowed to carry gear on the pmc while restarting, but i tried it before the last wipe and can tell its working 100% if you are naked and stash is complete empty

vor 16 Minuten schrieb MimS:

Also if you run out of gear and cash you could reset your account

mhh, not the best advice because you loose your xp etc. the standart edition starter loot is crap anyways and you can do this only each 2 weeks, if you buy a bigger edition you need to reset and may have to wait for the timer then....

Edited by PIK

Just now, PIK said:

mhh, not the best advice because you loose your xp etc. the standart edition starter loot is crap anyways and you can do this only each 2 weeks, and if you buy a bigger edition you need to reset and may have to wait for the timer then....

But if you are only doing scav runs, no XP will count. Always an option. I am not worried about XP tbh. They will wipe the servers again for release anyway. :) 

Also devs have offered to remove the timer for people who upgrade there games as it takes a couple resets to work. all you would need to do is open a ticket with them if you upgrade :) 

how i told, the timer can get a problem then, i played the standart edition for one week. then i upgraded, if he trys the same he has to wait one week because the timer then, its always good to have the "reset" up in the case you need it, not worth the work of a reset if he simply can restart the game to buy a new gun anyways...

Edited by PIK
  • Like 1

9 часов назад, fast_eddie сказал:

Hints and tips accepted but Im guessing, the game is working as intended and silly old feckers like me just need to learn the hard way :)

Hey there, Eddie! 

You are right, the learning curve is different from most other games. I would recommend instead of doing SCAV runs only to try and buy some not too expensive guns at Prapor (PM, Grach, TT) and start running as PMC with pistol only, ammo, 1 spare mag, and some meds in your secure container (AI-2 medkit (2 at least), painkillers, bandages. 

This way you will learn a lot more about PMC spawns, game dynamics, loot locations, typical ambush points and so on. Some might even suggest hatchet runs, but that's for the "chosen" (in a bad way). Well at least you can learn maps without losing anything this way, so might worth a try. Watch some streamers play and learn how to interact with inventory, reload, stuff like that. Typical good video creators out there are DeadlySlob (he has nice tutorial videos too), DevildogGamer, Kotton, Eroktik, Metal - just look over the YouTube. 

Another suggestion is find a good group of people who can help you learn and play together. Strong groups usually win fights in Tarkov, playing solo might sound as disadvantage for some. 

I can suggest the group I am in - Older Aged Players Alliance. Apply there and wait for the private message and invitation. This is really friendly mature players group.  

• Like 1

1) Learn to kill with cheapest guns (saves to you a lot of money) OP guns suck anyways ... Legs are they key for a frag

2) Do not sprint (only run away from nades)

3) Don't thrust anyone ... they stab you in a sec...

4) Have a huge amount of painkillers on quick keys 

5) Search jackets and archives for keys

6) Be sneaky (NES MGS STLYE lol)

7) Achieve loot little by little, don't try to bite huge amount of gear.

8) Avoid of being profit to some one :)

9) always on semiauto

10) Use F1 nades only (others suck)

Good Luck and I hope this HELPS!

• Like 1

What a lovely friendly forum, I am pleasantly surprised!

I will look at everything above and decide the best way for me to learn. It sooo good to get help right from the word go, so thanks again! 

Cheers

Jon (fast_eddie)

England

I would recommend for you to join the discord group and meet 1 or 2 guys to team up with, it will be a bit easyer that way. I´ve been playing solo since january and i never found it impossible to do the raids alone, however i haven´t had the chance to play much in this patch, but the few raids i played looked to me like they were harder to complete by myself... As the Devs allready stated, this wont be a game for lone wolfs, it will focus on teamwork.

First off welcome @fast_eddie!

It seems you've gotten alot of great advice from the community already. The best advice one can give tho is recommend you find a nice group in clans section, this allows for more one on one help.

Using this, with offline mode, and custom maps will get you the experience you need to have a more enjoyable experience then just scav mode every 30 minutes

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fast_eddie said:

What a lovely friendly forum, I am pleasantly surprised!

I will look at everything above and decide the best way for me to learn. It sooo good to get help right from the word go, so thanks again! 

Cheers

Jon (fast_eddie)

England

If you get stuck I play with a couple of people/older gents. Pretty chilled discord. You are more than welcome to jump on with us :) We are UK time zone.

• Like 1

I'm over the moon, just got my first escape (only as a Scav) but its a lovely feeling. Had to look at an online map to get out of the fecking place but I searched plenty of stuff and I'm learning a poo ton  on the way..

This game is totally up my street and I can feel PUBG seeping out of my system by the second.

Properly hooked now!-Long way to go obviously !

Cheers

Jon

I am in the same shoes as you. I dont know where to start, but i can tell im getting better with just a few hours of gameplay.

So my tip is to just play the game and dont get thrown off by the learning curve. 

Good luck! :)

On 11/14/2017 at 5:29 AM, fast_eddie said:

Cut my teeth on CS and Half Life and Quake and Unreal and BF2 and ArmA and PUBG etc etc etc.

Jees, its tough! Very very steep learning curve, but I'm guessing that's where the appeal is.

Its looking like the best way to play this game to learn, is to play as a scav, then go play Pubg for half an hour until the timer restarts for the scav?

I have been playing games for a fair while now, but this is a tough cookie! I like it but being a Scav looks like the best way to learn quickly so far?

Having an internet map up of where you have spawed into on a different device helps a bucket load too! Pressing M, I guess is for noobs!

Jon

Find a suitable group or squad to play with.

your whole escape from Tarkov point of view will Change in matter of hrs.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:29 AM, fast_eddie said:

Jon

Play offline man learn the ai spawns so that u can make u around the map then play online I would suggest to play with a hatchet to learn the pmc spawns then go in with weapons remember going with weapons increases ur survival rate immensely. 

Now it depends on ur playstyle whether u like to rush or go slow. 

If u rush I would suggest to choose a weapon which has the highest ergonomics. If u go slow use ur map and use optics to ur advantage. 

Now if u want to find or hoard rare stuff go in as a scav since u will have a higher rate of spawning near a rare item or u can reach there before anyone else does. And also u don't have to worry about ai. 

I hate to say it but you can always go in as a hatchling if resources are low.. if you get lucky you'll pick up some weapons others didnt want and you may find some valueble loot to sell as well...

as much as i do not like hatchlings, some of my best raids were as one..