Slice-NL

Escape from Tarkov early Review/Thoughts/Suggestions

The core gameplay mechanics of Escape from Tarkov (ETF) is what makes this first person shooter stand out from the other titles in the survival genre. I'm not even sure if the developers expected the gameplay to work so well, but the way the game plays out right now, despite the desync and some bugs, is already perfect for a solid game. I think there are 4 key features in this game that make this shuch an enjoyable game already:

1. Level design: I think the main reason why the level design works so well is because it is designed for runs/raids. You notice that every path you take in the levels are hand made, have a purpose, and have different pros and cons. You don't have that in other ''similar'' level design like H1z1, Rust, Pubg etc. 

2. PMC/Scav/player scav dynamics: While it will not stay this way, I actually think this system works perfect. I'm actually a bit worried that the drastic changes in the future would break this unique gameplay that we got right now. Apart from spawn location improvements and A.I. improvements, I personally wouldn't want anything changed.

3. Weapon mechanics: While having played all the realistic shooters like Arma 3 and Squad, this game feels the most realistic in terms of firefights and player movement. Player movement can still use some polish, things like moving while in iron sight can get buggy for example.

4. Items/modifications/Storage:  One of the best games already in terms of weapon modification. It actually makes looting fun, while in other games like H1z1 and Rust, there is not much variety and freedom with your gear/loot. All they need to do is create more content in this aspect of the game. 

What I would like to see they would add in ETF:
-Something similar to Payday 2 in which you got your own building where you can store your weapons, items and money. A firing range to practise your guns, maybe a bar where you can invite other players to join and set up a raid or trade. This would also create the possibility to make some items actually usefull to decorate your building with (think of the statues that are already in the game for example).
-More sidequests in the maps itself. It will give the players more freedom as to what they want to do in a raid. 

What I would like to see improved:
-Desync problems (obviously)
-Spawn locations should be improved a bit
-A.I. should be improved a bit
-Fixing the possibility to get stuck 
-Optimization on the graphical side, I'm using Ryzen 1700x with gtx 1070 but I get very unreliable FPS.
-Sound effects improvements, sometimes you don't hear footsteps etc.

What I would not like to see in EFT:
-No vehicles
-Please no weapon skins or weird clothing (No unicorn mask)

Summary:
This is a rough diamond, polish it, don't change it too drastically. All it really needs is technical improvements and more content in terms of items and maps to be succesfull. I'm not entirely sure how Bears vs Usec will play out in the future, but I hope it won't be cross position spawns like in your average team deathmatch games, I think it would destroy the key gameplay element which is doing a run/raid. Pretty sure my feedback won't be used at all, but I wanted to write my opinion about this game because I love this game already :)

Edited by Slice-NL
  • Like 5
  • Hot 1

6 minutes ago, Slice-NL said:

-Something similar to Payday 2 in which you got your own building where you can store your weapons, items and money. A firing range to practise your guns, maybe a bar where you can invite other players to join and set up a raid or trade. This would also create the possibility to make some items actually usefull to decorate your building with (think of the statues that are already in the game for example).

The plan for this is already in motion so ive heard and read. a hideout type of base where you must find and use parts you loot to maintain the hideout, keep the water running and lights on type of thing. and from what ive read i guess the more advanced your hideout is the bigger your stash it and the better your player "feels" when going into raids.

(P.S. i cant wait to play payday 2 VR on the 16th. super excited)

Thank you for your feedback, as the user above pointed out; The hideout is planned :) 

AFAIK, the dev team won't be adding silly unicorn hats or bright pink guns. It's a hardcore shooter at it's core, there is no place for things like that.

More quests will be added too, as well as all of the issues you pointed out already being on the devs cards, so you can stay excited for the future!

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Slice-NL:

More sidequests in the maps itself. It will give the players more freedom as to what they want to do in a raid. 

thats dome sick idea actually, maybe something like random npcs that are friendly and need help defending, if u do so they will reward u, u could also chose to kill em which would affect the karma system thats arriving sooner or later

• Like 1

I would love to see quests tailored more to each map, I find at the moment 90% of the Quests are on Customs... Which I personally find great because I do enjoy the Customs map. However I would like to experience all the maps a little more and have a reason (apart from just shooting people) to go visit each one.

• Like 1

I don't have anything against the player Hideout--it's a good idea; just bear in mind there's no need to go as far as GTA Online, where you have a shower, drinks, radio, closet for clothes, etc.

As long as everything in the Hideout has some practical relevance to game play, it's all good! :)

And I'm so glad there are no micro-transactions in this game. Oh man...don't even get me started on that. lol

I agree with everything the OP said.

The 2 things I would love to see in particular are: 

Spawn locations - Especially for PMC's everyone spawns on the same side of the map and it's a mad dash in the same direction as everyone else most times.  The one exception to this being Factory... it's a small enclosed building so spawns don't really need to change here.

Raid Exits - I would like to see some kind of variety in the exits (again Factory being the exception).  Maybe adding more possible exits but only having some of them be active for each raid... Like on Customs for instance having to take the chance that the gas station exit is open and trying for it only to have it be closed and now you have to get to one of the other exits.  This would add variety to the player movements, it would be harder to predict their movements and exit camping would become less effective.

Oh and I know it's going to be implemented, but I can't wait for the karma system to come into play for the PMC side... 

• Thanks 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Slice-NL:

What I would not like to see in EFT:
-No vehicles
-Please no weapon skins or weird clothing (No unicorn mask)

Since you're using double negatives I suppose you want to see that in tarkov?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PhineasWhipsnde said:

I don't have anything against the player Hideout--it's a good idea; just bear in mind there's no need to go as far as GTA Online, where you have a shower, drinks, radio, closet for clothes, etc.

As long as everything in the Hideout has some practical relevance to game play, it's all good! :)

And I'm so glad there are no micro-transactions in this game. Oh man...don't even get me started on that. lol

I agree a shower would be dumb, but a closet for your clothing wouldn't be so weird. If you have a gun rack for your guns, a safe for your money, a workbench for your weapon parts, I don't think a closet with your clothing would be weird. 

For current clothing, yes--the only catch is that it appears(?) that the devs won't be doing too much in the way of clothing, due to graphical clipping issues that plague display of clothes in EVERY PC/console game out there...

8 minutes ago, Slice-NL said:

I agree a shower would be dumb, but a closet for your clothing wouldn't be so weird. If you have a gun rack for your guns, a safe for your money, a workbench for your weapon parts, I don't think a closet with your clothing would be weird. 

Whattt a shower would actually work with the game mechanics! Could be a free way to 'refresh' i.e top up your energy between raids, as I believe player condition will carry over after the raid has finished (instead of your dude magically being fine after losing all his limbs at the moment lol) and would add a little comic relief to the savage world of Tarkov.

I think a shower would be cool :) 

3 hours ago, DanExert said:

Whattt a shower would actually work with the game mechanics! Could be a free way to 'refresh' i.e top up your energy between raids, as I believe player condition will carry over after the raid has finished (instead of your dude magically being fine after losing all his limbs at the moment lol) and would add a little comic relief to the savage world of Tarkov.

I think a shower would be cool :) 

Problem with this here is that if you're character condition carries over, do you have to heal?  Do you have to wait if the previous raid was particularly brutal?  If that was the case and you had to wait and heal (using med kits etc) or just plain wait to heal (like the scav cooldown) it would really limit the replay-ability of the game. 

The games already got some tedium too it but not enough to kill the playability.  If you have to wait 5-10-30 min between raids to heal that would kill the game for me.

It would become like those mobile games where you can only do so much until you come off cooldown to do more.

4 hours ago, PhineasWhipsnde said:

For current clothing, yes--the only catch is that it appears(?) that the devs won't be doing too much in the way of clothing, due to graphical clipping issues that plague display of clothes in EVERY PC/console game out there...

Clipping problems are annoying, but it's defenitely not something that can not be solved. In the worst case you have to tweak every part of clothing by hand.

I really enjoy the quests. I'm not using any guides to spoil anything for me and it's forcing me to explore areas of the maps that I never used to. Really looking forward to more quests for each map. 

11 hours ago, ArkusTheOne said:

Problem with this here is that if you're character condition carries over, do you have to heal?  Do you have to wait if the previous raid was particularly brutal?  If that was the case and you had to wait and heal (using med kits etc) or just plain wait to heal (like the scav cooldown) it would really limit the replay-ability of the game. 

The games already got some tedium too it but not enough to kill the playability.  If you have to wait 5-10-30 min between raids to heal that would kill the game for me.

It would become like those mobile games where you can only do so much until you come off cooldown to do more.

I'm not sure to what extent and/or which injuries/radiation/toxication(?) etc will follow you back to the Hideout, and I also don't have a source... But yeah, I can't see the devs implementing a mobile-style waiting, because that's just plain dumb. Instead I predict it will just be a case of patching your guy up before heading back out, including food and hydration I'd imagine

17 hours ago, PhineasWhipsnde said:

There will however be DLC.

small distinction.

I would like to see assassination questions with some special scav that will be roaming the map. Will be much more enjoyable than murdering down the scav population + it will make you go around and look for this specific scav on the map, rather than rushing like a mad man. Or maybe even make it as a Player Scav that spawns on random somewhere away from the exits.

2nd think, maybe do some scav quests as well that will give you some more interesting loot, this will make people respect scavs a bit more and make them go and do something rather than just running around looking for people and loot. In my mind this is an interesting idea. Maybe even make a variation of scav quests weekly, so you get some bonus things if you complete those. I even think collection items quests can be a viable as well. This will make the scav gameplay a bit more interesting

Edited by Fak3r
  • Like 1