Kiba_Stream

General questions on weapon implementation

@PhineasWhipsnde thanks dude, i already figured it out as I have 40 hrs in the game and the MR133 is only trade-able loot for me :) 

But i'm sure this will help some other guys just starting with the game!

5 minutes ago, Destry said:

How do I load my pistol ?!!!!!

Remove the magazine first (either unload from the RMB menu or select "Inspect" or "Modding" and drag the magazine out. Unload sometimes doesn't work if you don't have free space in your pockets.

Drag the bullets into the mag, drag the mag into the pistol.

You can also load an additional round into the chamber in "Inspect" window.

• Upvote 1

Another (minor) tip that I didn't know; just double-click any weapon you want to Inspect with your left mouse button--does the same as right-clicking and selecting "Inspect".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/19/2016 at 10:37 AM, Skemba said:

Wanted to ask a similar one about silencers. Will they affect the projectile speed and drop over distance?

I assume that if they added performance changes they wouldnt be the once we are used to with suppressors. In normal games,as your most likely know, you damage/penetration, muzzel velocity(speed of bullet that transfers to the above category and effective range), and accuracy will all go down. But since EFT is realistic the opposite would be true and all of the above changes would be positive.

I have a question about weapon jams and stoppages. I know these are coming soon and they look really cool but I have a few questions 

1: With the weapons degrading quality I heard of can the weapons get to the quality point of being unusable

2: Will things like being shot with dirt kicked up or you laying in the mud affect the dirtiness of the gun which could speed up the quality degradation 

Will we eventually be able to mount our optics anywhere we want on the top rail of our weapon?

59d5ad6144a1d_2017-10-0417-36(0).thumb.png.afaa29d9f07d50d79d973a328118897b.png

I'm weird and like optics towards the front of my barrel like on AK handguard rails

srt-firing-range-hr.jpg647C69F8-91C6-4B0B-93B2-BA81CBD42F4F_zps

Edited by NateLB

Why are the LVOA handguards for the M4 being modeled after the old version? War Sport has been producing newer versions with M-LOK slots. Not only does it make more sense to have the handguard use a more universally accepted attachment system, but there are already weapon mods (the M-LOK AFGs only, at the time of writing) that use M-LOK as a mounting system.

lvoa1.jpg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, NateLB said:

Will we eventually be able to mount our optics anywhere we want on the top rail of our weapon?

I'm weird and like optics towards the front of my barrel like on AK handguard rails

Ew. That's so ugly and un practical as hell lol

• Sad 1

To each their own, I like goofy looking guns and I also like my short range optics away from my face

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2017 at 12:12 AM, NateLB said:

Well, part of the reason that optics aren’t mountable wherever you please is because of the way aim positioning works. My best guess is that they’re using deltas compiled with the weapon model that basically position the reference view of the weapon in FP so that you can both have a proper point of aim and the game can play its animations, like firing or switching fire modes. It’s kind of difficult to explain but that’s the basics of it, and then there’s how they actually place attachment models onto the main weapon models.

11 hours ago, dylanburns777 said:

Ew. That's so ugly and un practical as hell lol

First off, “unpractical” isn’t a word. Second off, it’s actually quite a viable practice. People do commonly mount micro and normal-sized red dots on an AK’s gas tube because they can cowitness their optic with their irons. Since it’s not currently possible to switch from iron sights to optic, being able to position your optic farther out means you lose less peripheral vision at the count of the reticle being more difficult to see. There’s logic to everything.

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2017 at 12:12 AM, NateLB said:

While this would work for reflex sights, scopes of all sorts require a certain eye relief to function. Having, say, an ACOG where the EOTechs are mounted would result in a sight you are physically incapable of actually using. 

As well, the common practice is to never, under any circumstances mount a sight on the handguard. The theory is that the strongest and most stable mounting position on the rifle will be the built in top rail, so for the sake of maintaining a zero on your optic, you never will see people mounting forward of the receiver's top rail. That said, this is why you see people throwing the sight as far down the top rail as they can- Because generally, reflex sights do benefit from being farther out. 

13 hours ago, FPS_FTW said:

Well, part of the reason that optics aren’t mountable wherever you please is because of the way aim positioning works. My best guess is that they’re using deltas compiled with the weapon model that basically position the reference view of the weapon in FP so that you can both have a proper point of aim and the game can play its animations, like firing or switching fire modes. It’s kind of difficult to explain but that’s the basics of it, and then there’s how they actually place attachment models onto the main weapon models.

First off, “unpractical” isn’t a word. Second off, it’s actually quite a viable practice. People do commonly mount micro and normal-sized red dots on an AK’s gas tube because they can cowitness their optic with their irons. Since it’s not currently possible to switch from iron sights to optic, being able to position your optic farther out means you lose less peripheral vision at the count of the reticle being more difficult to see. There’s logic to everything.

You're correct on that. The AK and the AR platforms are entirely different- Part of that is the fact that AK's generally have trouble mounting optics effectively. They tend to be way too high up, or have trouble holding a zero. The gas tube is one of the few places you can put an optic without those things having too much of an affect on the optic, though, you do suffer from thermal issues. 

Of course, there are lots of other considerations when it comes to the mounting of reflex sights. . . Most are advertised as parallax free, but you'll find they do have some degree of shift most of the time, with EOTech sights being an unusual exception in that they have relatively little parallax shift compared to normal dot sights. This means that the further out you get, the more noticeable this will be if you're off center slightly. 

This is especially relevant in unusual firing positions such as under a vehicle on your side. If you can't get a perfect sight picture, then having the optic further away may completely prevent it's use, or make parallax a greater concern. 

In general, I think the best position for the optic is on the receiver top rail, as far forward as you can get it. That tends to work best for AR pattern rifles, in my opinion. 

Edited by Keter

During the last few patches my friends and I have notice that pistol fire rates have began to be limited. Why is this happening? I can understand that there is a need for balance, but in that case increase recoil and leave the fire rate to as fast as you can pull the trigger like in real life(excluding revolvers). recoil is just as effective in making pistols less like submachineguns. Reducing fire rate breaks pistols primary purpose as a secondary weapon in CQB when your primary is a sniper, DMR, or even a battle rifle (sks). 

reducing fire rate in pistols is also a fault when it comes to being a newbie, when all you have is a pistol your screwed because if you run into a guy with any armor you first shot will most likely not take down your intended target if not a head-shot even then sometimes that first head-shot doesn't kill the .12000348 of a second that the game take to let you shoot again can be enough time for any one to react even slow-asses like me. and if the second shot doesn't kill your fucked because they have a shotgun and there first shot will probably kill you because you have no more armor.

now this in my mind kinda feels like a rant but i just feel like every other gun in the game is very realistic and that is what make it great.

now take note the pistols in the game I have not actually shot. I have shot a lot of pistols tho and none of them have had a cycle time that is as long as it is in game (once again aside from revolvers) and I'm sure that the pistols modeled in game are the same way. Now I am talking about both the 9x19 pistols I have played with any other pistols since I noticed things changing.

21 hours ago, Keter said:

While this would work for reflex sights, scopes of all sorts require a certain eye relief to function. Having, say, an ACOG where the EOTechs are mounted would result in a sight you are physically incapable of actually using. 

As well, the common practice is to never, under any circumstances mount a sight on the handguard. The theory is that the strongest and most stable mounting position on the rifle will be the built in top rail, so for the sake of maintaining a zero on your optic, you never will see people mounting forward of the receiver's top rail. That said, this is why you see people throwing the sight as far down the top rail as they can- Because generally, reflex sights do benefit from being farther out. 

You're correct on that. The AK and the AR platforms are entirely different- Part of that is the fact that AK's generally have trouble mounting optics effectively. They tend to be way too high up, or have trouble holding a zero. The gas tube is one of the few places you can put an optic without those things having too much of an affect on the optic, though, you do suffer from thermal issues. 

Of course, there are lots of other considerations when it comes to the mounting of reflex sights. . . Most are advertised as parallax free, but you'll find they do have some degree of shift most of the time, with EOTech sights being an unusual exception in that they have relatively little parallax shift compared to normal dot sights. This means that the further out you get, the more noticeable this will be if you're off center slightly. 

This is especially relevant in unusual firing positions such as under a vehicle on your side. If you can't get a perfect sight picture, then having the optic further away may completely prevent it's use, or make parallax a greater concern. 

In general, I think the best position for the optic is on the receiver top rail, as far forward as you can get it. That tends to work best for AR pattern rifles, in my opinion. 

Well, I was talking about aim positioning in reference to the game, not in real life, but nonetheless, everything you said is pretty much dead-on from a realistic functionality point.

Something else I don't get is why handguards for AK-pattern rifles are pre-combined. The Ultimak gas tube is designed to be compatible with virtually lower handguard for full-length AKs. The gas tube cover on the MOE AK handguard is simply a cover, and only fits on stamped receiver AKs, so it won't (or at least shouldn't) be mountable on the planned milled AK-47s.

noImage.png&Width=500&Height=320&Crop=5

(Credit to magpul.com)

I get the B-19 is only usable with a compatible Zenitco lower handguard, but the B-10M can be used standalone.

ZenitCo_B10M_Lower_StandardUpper_Right.j

(Credit to russianoptics.net)

Come to think of it, you can't even mount the B-33 without having a B-10(M) or B-30 installed first. Checkmate.

Pretty sure the RS47 lower can be used seperately too, but don't quote me on that in particular.

To top it all off, you should be able to use any AK-pattern rifle without an upper handguard. Hell, without a gas tube even, which is why I also believe that the gas tube should have its own category of mods, as Ultimak also produces a super short gas tube for "Krinkov"-type pistols/rifles (The M13).

m13.jpg

(Credit to ultimak.com)

Edited by FPS_FTW

On 10/6/2017 at 7:06 AM, FPS_FTW said:

you can always free look when youre aiming down sight anyways and why would anyone want to cowitness their irons with their optic, thats not even practical especially in a video game when you wont run out of batteries lol, and yes people do mount red dots and other optics on gas tubes/handguards of aks but you literally wont even be able to see your sight when you start shooting (irl) but in the game it really doesnt matter its all personal preference in this state of the game

I´m thinking out loud here - concerning the thoughts on silencer and subsonic ammo, effects on distance and so on in the start of the thread. I am no expert.

IRL the subsonic ammo got a powder charge that don´t packs a punch like the ordinary ammo.
So, the muzzle velocity is lower, and because of that it would drop earlier and even from the start make a little less damage.

In some weapons IRL, the gas pressure gets adjusted for the rifle to function as normal with a silencer, and so on.

If you would be using standard ammo and silencer it would sound more than a subsonic ammo:ed and silenced rifle.

I guess it is a question about how far it is reasonable to take it all, in a game.

Maybe a reasonable middle ground would be to add subsonic ammo and make it drop and be silenced, but if you got regular ammo, it would be silenced some, but not as much as with subsonic ammo?

On 9/5/2017 at 8:49 AM, DrederRaider said:

I assume that if they added performance changes they wouldnt be the once we are used to with suppressors. In normal games,as your most likely know, you damage/penetration, muzzel velocity(speed of bullet that transfers to the above category and effective range), and accuracy will all go down. But since EFT is realistic the opposite would be true and all of the above changes would be positive.

Yeah, I believe the muzzle velocity would increase with a suppressor, therefore more damage, more accuracy, so yeah lol

On 10/17/2017 at 3:25 PM, STROB said:

I´m thinking out loud here - concerning the thoughts on silencer and subsonic ammo, effects on distance and so on in the start of the thread. I am no expert.

IRL the subsonic ammo got a powder charge that don´t packs a punch like the ordinary ammo.
So, the muzzle velocity is lower, and because of that it would drop earlier and even from the start make a little less damage.

In some weapons IRL, the gas pressure gets adjusted for the rifle to function as normal with a silencer, and so on.

If you would be using standard ammo and silencer it would sound more than a subsonic ammo:ed and silenced rifle.

I guess it is a question about how far it is reasonable to take it all, in a game.

Maybe a reasonable middle ground would be to add subsonic ammo and make it drop and be silenced, but if you got regular ammo, it would be silenced some, but not as much as with subsonic ammo?

IMO, it should go something like this:

Pro (Full Power Ammo)

• Suppressed Gunfire
  • No Muzzle Flash
  • Less Recoil
  • Standard shooting characteristics.

Con (Full Power Ammo)

• Supersonic crack.
  • Faster overheating.
  • Much louder sound.
  • Increased fouling / more frequent cleaning.

And:

Pro (Subsonic Ammo)

• Exceptionally quiet.
  • No supersonic crack.
  • Reduced suppressor wear.
  • Much less recoil.

Con (Subsonic Ammo)

• Reduced power depending on cartridges.
  • Reduced reliability in standard firearms (without adjustable gas regulators / modified gas ports)
  • Increased fouling / more frequent cleaning (more than unsuppressed, less than full power ammo)
  • Reduced velocity / more drop.

I may be having one of my special "moments" again but I know I have seen other people ask but no definitive answer. Which Ak variants does the Ultimak actually attach too? And what am I missing in my installation attempts. I have tried it every which way I know how. Thanks in advance!

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just curious as to how these incredible 3D models of weapons are created?

Are they manually measured and drawn? I ask, because they are the most realistic 3D models of weapons I've ever seen (let alone 3D anything). Also, how long does it usually take to create a weapon in 3D?

Needless to say, I'm VERY impressed..!

I would love you developers if you could replace the ''looking at gun'' feature, with a feature in which the player actually pulls the bolt/lever to check the chamber. This can also be used to fix any jamming. The game Killing Floor 2 already has this feature, incase you need a good example to work from. 

I would also like there to be actual mud/dirt on guns. When you lay on the floor and move, the gun will get increasingly more dirty, and add more risk of jamming. Some guns should jam faster when dirty than others. An mp5 should jam faster than an AK47 for example.

The mechanics of the guns are amazing though, feels very realistic. I hope you guys won't change that too much.

Edited by Slice-NL

5 minutes ago, Slice-NL said:

I would love you developers if you could replace the ''looking at gun'' feature, with a feature in which the player actually pulls the bolt/lever to check the chamber. This can also be used to fix any jamming. The game Killing Floor 2 already has this feature, incase you need a good example to work from. 

you can check the chamber hit shift+T.

and if they add gin jamming then most likely you'll have to use shift+T to clear the chamber 

• Upvote 1