Drakkaar

[DISCUSSION] - FOV and It's Pros / Cons

47 posts in this topic

Hello guys, 

Lets stay on topic on the FOV discussion. I love this good chats but we need to keep in on the track. Thanks!

As long as they don't add too many big man titles and in game accolades well be ok.

@SucoVidya@Ozymandias I enjoyed your reads. Thank you very much but again EFT is a much slower paced game than CS in my opinion. One can be xyz max everything and still get out smarted at night time by a level 1 fresh buyer who decided to use gamma exploit running a very bare minimum setup from Staples sunday sale. PC/Monitor/Printer deal.

Edited by AHSGMA

3 minutes ago, CptBluemax said:

You are going to spawn somewhere totally random and it will be its own session bro , so the only people that can join after the PMCs have joined.....are scavs presumably (since they can also join mid raid , this might be why we have endless scavs they could be testing the in game spawn)

Theres gonna be exits all over the place , all the ones in the story raids(guessing here may change) and possibly some out of the way free roam only exits.There may be additional areas added (I truly believe there will) or the story exits.....will become the transition areas to the next zone (factory to customs lets say) and again im assuming if thats the case they will lead to different parts of customs.

Yeah sounds good, thats   how i imagined it would be, still instanced tho.

2 minutes ago, Natalino said:

Hello guys, 

Lets stay on topic on the FOV discussion. I love this good chats but we need to keep in on the track. Thanks!

Alright, sorry.

Edited by .Motorola.

@Natalino hah I just realised while I had just posted that....oh no this is the FOV post noooo!

Ok so on topic.......a dark path this is a dark path.........you DEFINITELY should not be able to change the FOV mid game...........and the points raised about eye relief and scopes are very good.

Maybe ONLY 2 different FOV settings.......maybe.....I really think just one is how it is going to have to be though......for the scopes and the eye relief etc etc otherwise its just going to get totally out of hand 

I personally feel that ONE fov for everyone would be best but.....I don't know how troublesome if would be to have different ones........the I know from gaming in the past the advantage you could get from lowering your FOV while looking through scopes......vs the massive high FOV that you could see everything everywhere......and being able to change it on the fly is a big no no.

@.Motorola. yeah bro once that session starts we trapped there haha no turning back!

Edited by CptBluemax

1 hour ago, AHSGMA said:

One can be xyz max everything and still get out smarted at night time by a level 1 fresh buyer who decided to use gamma exploit running a very bare minimum setup from Staples sunday sale. PC/Monitor/Printer deal.

Which is exactly why the developers need to pay attention to exactly what settings they allow and heavily restrict what settings are allowed in game. Also, it's not about whether Escape from Tarkov is a "competitive" game in the sense of an E-Sport, it's about whether the game is competitively fair: IE whether or not two players with unequal hardware and setups, but equal skill, have an equal shot at winning. The gamma example here is the same as the FOV example, one guy might have 1.25 gamma and can see in the dark, the other might have 140 FOV and can nearly see behind himself, or see the player who thinks he has the tactical advantage by coming up behind him.

Edited by Ozymandias

Personally whatever fov they give us i will play at the max. I just prefer the highest fov because it lets you see more, it looks better and i played a lot of quake so im used to it.  So i will leave it up to the developers but if i had to give an answer i would say 110-120

Just nearly,nearly had a USEC guy get the drop of me after I shot him and ran into the locker room,thought I better bloody check my cornr....BAM there he is......I think I know why theres a low FOV now,makes you have to do that/work as team to cover angles properly etc etc.

Well,that was actually on 50 FOV as well,I had forget it reset literally EVERYTHING and that was in the game menus.

50 is way too small........but I find the 75 perfectly acceptable,you still have to check your corners and sides if you dont want to get rekt.

Please let us change FOV, I get motion sickness so easily with the current FOV.

edit: nothing beyond 90 FOV is ever needed, and most games cap at 90

Edited by Galxz

9 minutes ago, Galxz said:

Please let us change FOV, I get motion sickness so easily with the current FOV.

edit: nothing beyond 90 FOV is ever needed, and most games cap at 90

We have 75 Cap in EFT if you did not know. :) 

Just now, Natalino said:

We have 75 Ca pin EFT if you did not know. :) 

Yeah, I figured it was 75, which to me is why it's bearable, anything lower and I get headaches, but as of right now, I can't play for extended periods of time without feeling sick. Partially because of the head bob in game as well. Thanks for the information though.

110 or MAX FOV. You can see more, plus I like the feeling of the walls whizzing by when I sprint down the hall or through the trees.
For me, lower FOV like 80 or 90 = a much slower feeling run speeds. Like wearing lead shoes. Insofar as zoom etc...I've never noticed any difference myself...but then again I wasn't ever looking for an edge in that regard. I've always played at 110 or max on all my games so the zoom was always a normal feeling zoom. nothing overpowered with a high fov.

i allways prefer having a higher fov! its allways much better and it feels too small in this game so far, i allways use max usually

Edited by Revin

On 12/10/2016 at 2:41 PM, TheOtherSlug said:

I don't mind people using a narrow fov to get some zoom, because they will have tunnel vision and might not be able to see a flank.

The problem is that the advantage is disproportionately larger than the disadvantages for someone who knows what they are doing. A veteran sniper for instance, whos's first task is to choose a firing position that minimizes risk of being flanked. The problem becomes even more pronounced when they have teammates guarding their flanks. They'd have all the advantage of greater magnification, keeping someone with potentially the exact same equipment and skill, unable to properly counter-snipe because their opponent has an artificially high magnification...

Even if you are being flanked, in a firefight, hit-placement matters, and being able to hit your opponent with accurate fire in vital locations (upper torso and head) could overwhelm an opponent with the exact same set-up. Basically, you could kill them with 1-2 well placed hits, but their mag may mean they can only hope to land such damaging strikes with luck and more ammo spent. This is not realistic, and should be avoided unless unavoidable constraints on a dev team prevent them from removing it.

Edited by UglyPony

As a 3440x14440p player I find 90-100 to be a really nice spot for my FOV and I would love for EFT to support that.  Anything higher and the game starts to look silly to me.  It is possible for the developers to increase the FOV and have it NOT effect the zoom level of optics on the weapon as simply as setting hard locked FOV's when aiming down sights like DayZ switched to a few updates ago. But the way that the camera is working currently in EFT makes is so that the shoulders of the player are visible past a certain FOV. That is what is holding back the FOV here not this Ultrawide advantage debate.

Update #1 Posted

Topic has a minor update, I read through the post but most of what was said were arguments such as:

For FOV Increase - To support UW monitors, to alleviate motion sickness, and to have the freedom/customization available.

Against FOV Increase - To avoid any unnecessary player advantages, such as FOV over 100 giving a wide viewing angle and thus creating a margin for error on a players part[Can't tell where the Blind Spot starts/ends].

Neutral - If FOV is to increase, max at 90 - 100 FOV.  Lock FOV when in a Raid/Instance.

Edited by Drakkaar

I would be happy if we can have the option to set fov at around 90, 100 would be optimal for my setup. Before when i used my pc monitor i used to have it at 85, over that i experienced the fisheye effect.. But now after using my tv as monitor i really like 90-110. I thing its because im sitting very close to to a much bigger screen so it fills my vision, it does not look or "feel" good when its under current max. But ill survive if it doesnt get higher than 75, even tho its far from optimal. Under 75 is very bad, for me at least. When i first started the game i was like wtf because fov was so low, luckily i did find the option to turn it up right after.

Edited by Eqlibrium

Posted (edited)

To be utterly honest. . . I just think it's rather daft to limit the enjoyment of players by restricting FOV for the bare chance that someone might use it to gain and advantage. As far as I'm concerned, making the game playable and enjoyable is at least as important, if not more important than attempting to keep it so darn even across the field that you might as well be playing a console game. 

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to remove the FOV, graphical settings, etc. from the game, the core choice that makes the investment into PC's worth the cost over consoles, then you might as well just create a console version of EFT instead. Then, if you really want to keep the playing field that equal, play that. Then, of course, you'd have to use a controller, and you might not enjoy using the controller- but then, if you're arguing that for the sake of even competition you should restrict the enjoyment of other players, why shouldn't you have your enjoyment restricted for competition as well? ¬¬

Bluntly speaking, I just really don't get the idea behind heavily restricting this stuff makes sense. FOV, I suppose I can get limiting it at something like 120 or so, but below that. . . Graphically, again, I get the whole gamma situation and how abusable it is, but if someone wants to do that they can just adjust the gamma on their monitors easy as can be. 

There are always going to be workarounds and things that throw off competitive play on PC- that kind of freedom is part of why people want to play on PC in the first place, because of all the options they have to tailor their gaming experience. 

I mean, other people have mentioned it before, but though there are people who will try to gain any possible advantage using settings. . . Just look at what options they have available. They can lower shadows and other graphical options to see people better, low foliage quality and so on, they can do any number of things and unless you completely remove the graphical options from the game and basically turn it into a bad console port, you're not going to get rid of this potential for abuse. 

Again, if you really want to fix this, then petition to get a console port of EFT and play the console version. Even playing field then. But don't mess up the PC experience and the hundreds of dollars people have invested into their hobby by forcing horrid settings on them. 

Edit: Also, side note. 180 degrees is what you need to see to either side of you. 120 degrees is about the max most people will use. 150 or 160 is, maybe, the max people with multi-monitor setups will use. In any and all of these cases, you can't see to either side of you. If you're attempting to sneak up on someone to the fore-front of them, you deserve to die, their FOV doesn't mean squat in that situation. 

Plus, if you wanted to represent the peripheral vision and give a system that works regardless of FOV, you could do what some other games do and add little fuzzes at the edge of the screen where movement is within your peripherals and not actually visible to your screen. That would keep it fair for everyone and be realistic at the same time. Doesn't require forcing people into motion sickness, either. 

Edited by Keter

This is a PC game. "For FoV Increase". Personally I don't know why this is being discussed. All the major competitive FPS games on the market have an FoV slider, You're no different. This very fact has proven it NOT to be an issue in "gaining an advantage" PC users will commonly use an avg FoV of 80+ from what Iv'e read over the years, 95 being that sweet spot for the common gamer. Also....Exactly what advantage could be gained? I can slightly see more than someone standing next to me? I'm sorry but this is just silly. I get major FoV sickness in your game, Iv'e only played it once because of two things, 35 minutes is my max before I started to get sick, And being an Aussie I can't play online "Properly" because we have no servers. 

But I can honestly tell you that IF an FoV slider does not get added.....I won't play your game. Forgive me to coin this silly term but It's 2017, FoV sliders have been in games for decades. Please don't be different for the sake....Of being different. It really IS NOT an issue in the online competitive scene.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Quin:

But I can honestly tell you that IF an FoV slider does not get added.....I won't play your game. Forgive me to coin this silly term but It's 2017, FoV sliders have been in games for decades. Please don't be different for the sake....Of being different. It really IS NOT an issue in the online competitive scene.

EfT already HAS a FoV slider ^^

13 hours ago, B0oN said:

EfT already HAS a FoV slider ^^

Which. . . Only goes up to 75, if I'm not mistaken. 

In this particular case, a lot of people in this discussion were actually advocating removing the FOV slider. 

I think you can understand why some people get a bit too enthusiastic with their responses to that.