Sign in to follow this  
orbitstorm

Cancel reload animation

orbitstorm

I'm not a robot. I can determine when the best time might be to stop shoving bullets into the SKS chamber like a goddamn PEZ dispenser. For a game so hellbent on "realism", you'd think we'd have this option as a baseline feature.

pearomaniac

Yep, that should be basic, SKS, Mosin, Shotguns, all of those dont stop reloading until they are full and that can be frustrating, especially with shotgun in CQC.

oldirty

But... you can stop the reload, just tap left or even right mouse I think, he will load 1 more bullet if he already started and then stop.

pearomaniac
Just now, oldirty said:

But... you can stop the reload, just tap left or even right mouse I think, he will load 1 more bullet if he already started and then stop.

You mean tap fire?

oldirty
Gerade eben schrieb pearomaniac:

You mean tap fire?

Yes sir.

pearomaniac
1 minute ago, oldirty said:

I was quietly raging over this for ages as i couldnt stop my shotgun reloading and got killed for it, havent used it since. I didnt had the same problem with a mosin or sks as i dont use them in CQC.

oldirty

@pearomaniac Yeah, its a bit clunky. Most of the time when you cancel it he will load one more bullet because the individual animation has already started even tho visualy there would be enough time to abandone the reload of that one single bullet.

• Like 1

pearomaniac
2 minutes ago, oldirty said:

@pearomaniac Yeah, its a bit clunky. Most of the time when you cancel it he will load one more bullet because the individual animation has already started even tho visualy there would be enough time to abandone the reload of that one single bullet.

Thanks for pointing it out anyway mate. Cheers

orbitstorm

There seems to be several animations that can't be cancelled or if you do cancel them, they do so sluggishly. I cannot begin to count the number of times I've died to some coward who waited around a corner, for 10-15 minutes, while I stacked up scavs only to get shot while trying to heal or reload because of the ridiculously obtuse animations.

As a scav, I can see an argument for not being able to do so in some situations (never with reloading though). As a PMC, a private military contractor, someone who, for all intents and purposes, is a highly-trained killer and is unable to stop reloading or let go of a bandage is absolutely ridiculous.

BSG preaches "realism" but only by their inept definition of it.

JoJo_Reaper
On 6/22/2019 at 6:52 AM, orbitstorm said:

I'm not a robot. I can determine when the best time might be to stop shoving bullets into the SKS chamber like a goddamn PEZ dispenser....

I don't know why..but reading that phrase..by the time I got to PEZ dispenser..I couldn't stop myself from laughing. 

:')

Thanks for that. 

But seriously, you can cancel animations, including reloading, just LMB click and it will stop. Practice it a few times & you can get away with loading 1-2 more bullets in a heated battle, in between shots.

Takes a bit of getting used to, I'll admit, but it works.

This is why I like the AI2 kits for healing, maybe it's all in my head or the fact it has a 2sec heal time, compared to other meds, but I feel as if that has the quickest 'animation cancellation' than all the heal meds..hence it's usefullness if even needing to cancel.

ars_umbris

I realize this is kind of a necro to an older topic, but I started playing recently, and just discovered this issue while practicing on the SKS. Ten shots is a long wait when getting shot at. I hear the animations can be cancelled, by left or right clicking, by running in circles, by chanting magic spells, but I haven't gotten the animations to cancel consistently. Normally, I start running in circles or zig-zagging when I'm caught out like that.

To make matters worse, if you're prone and decide to re-load, you can't get out of prone while the animations are running. This easily means death. No shooter in real life has his legs paralyzed because he starts reloading.

Admittedly, I'm new, and might be an idiot. I've taken this into offline mode for testing, and cannot get animations to stop when needed. I seem to get them to stop every once in a while with a combination of holding down left-mouse, and tapping middle-mouse at the same time, but it doesn't work consistently. This feels more like I'm forcing the game to sort of glitch than actually using a command sequence for a desired result. If stopping animations is a feature, its so unreliable you can't tell if it really exists. It's not responsive.

I can imagine an argument for realism, that if you're caught in the middle of something like a reload you'd be slow to transition to other actions, but having to wait for a FULL reload of a bolt rifle isn't realistic. It seems incongruous with the logic that gave us "tactical reloads" with magazine weapons, only to trap us in zombie reloads with bolt weapons.

petar_k

if you want realism, than Don't cancel the animation. 

• Confused 1

Sir_Mossy
29 minutes ago, petar_k said:

???

It's realistic to be forced to fully load a tube-fed shotgun than to be able to stop at a moment's notice? We're not talking about magazine-fed weapons. OP is talking about weapons like the mosin, SKS, and tube-fed shotguns.

Edited by Sir_Mossy
  • Upvote 1

ars_umbris
1 hour ago, petar_k said:

It would be more realistic that a canceled animation cost you a "dropped round" penalty, or a few fewer seconds lost transitioning to ADS/firing, not a "wait to finish reloading because God says you can't do anything else until you fully reload". 

In real life, I can stop reloading a bolt rifle right up until the point that I let go of the round. I can stop after loading a single round, or any number of rounds. Being locked into a reload action isn't realistic. (EDIT) Perhaps also adding an RNG chance to misfire or jam, thus forcing yet another reload, would be realistic too, but also detract a bit from tactical gameplay. It would be a cool addition if the chance was low.

So I guess from a design point of view, the issue here is connecting a logical action(s) to the cancel of a reload. An input to fire the weapon is the most logical choice (left mouse click), since firing and reloading can't happen at the same time. Perhaps allowing a Double Press of "R" button on bolt rifles (or shotguns) should be what initiates the "full reload", and any click of left-mouse should immediately cancel the routine.

It's supposed to work this way I hear, but it's not a smooth or reliable process atm.

Edited by ars_umbris
further information/idea added

petar_k

i meant that there should be the animation which you can stop after reloading at least one bullet by pressing the fire button. 

• Like 1

kebman

Just press and hold FIRE until the reloading stops. Thank me later.

Edit: With that said, yes, making the animation more responsive to cancellation would be welcome. Oh, and please allow peeps to stand up while reloading lol! 

Edited by kebman
  • Like 1

ars_umbris
2 hours ago, kebman said:

Just press and hold FIRE until the reloading stops

I think people realize that. Re-reading my earlier response, I didn't make it so clear my comments were made with that in mind.

To be clearer, having to finish the FULL reload animation is not so good. Though it only represents a few seconds, its enough time to run in a few circles while getting shot at. That's enough time to die. Even an amateur with a rifle can drop the round, close the bolt, and start aiming at a moment's notice. There is nothing realistic (or practical) about having to finish a reload before being able to fire.

If realism is being sacrificed here for some kind of penalty, ie, choosing to reload at the wrong time, then it makes sense. Otherwise, it seems wrong. 

Tullu

bump for cancel reload. Jesus, someone runs at you guns blazing you'd think you would throw the unloaded gun on the floor and grab your secondary, no>??