Sign in to follow this  
caatalyst

Distance Graphics and Metallic Surfaces / Edges Appearing Blurry

caatalyst

Hello!

So I'm wondering if anybody has any advice.

Generally speaking Tarkov graphics are nice but I'm seeing some really ugly flickering, jaggered edges on textures in the distance. In particular it is most notable outdoors and on metallic objects in the distance, especially the edges. I can't tell whether it's related to lighting, anti-aliasing or the textures themselves. It's like everything is low resolution in the distance.

My computer specs;

i9900k CPU
Nvidia 2070 GFX 
32GB RAM
SSD 1TB Samsung

I've tried everything from the lowest in game settings to the highest. SMAA definitely makes the game look better but doesn't seem to fix the issue. Currently I'm running with the following settings;

Textures - highest

Shadows - high

View distance - 1.5k

AA - SMAAx2

Sharpening - 0

All other settings are disabled or at their lowest.

After attempting to play around with the in-game settings I next tried following some other advice including disabling high scaling DPI. This didn't fix the issue either.

Other things I've tried;

- Enabling FFXA via nvidia control

- Enabling hardware AA via nvidia control panel

- Reshade (using a preset created by another EFT player)

Nothing seems to fix it. The game is running at a steady 70-100 fps except for when aiming down scopes it drops by half in some cases. Despite this and everything I've tried I cannot make these annoying jaggered, flickery textures go away.

I had the same problem on my last PC as well and I've seen many others report it. 

If anybody can offer any advice I would be very grateful.

Edited by caatalyst

Maki_Nishikino

The engine upgrade which is coming in the next patch should help out. Out of curiosity what is your resolution to have SMAA working well for you? You're the first person I have come across that has had success with this setting (even with extremely high-end hardware such as yours). Try using DSR, that might help and play around with the smoothness setting.

i7-8700 / GTX 1070 / 16 GB RAM / SSD / 1080p

Edited by Maki_Nishikino

caatalyst

SMAAx2 is absolutely fine around 70-100 FPS. SMAAx4 is unplayable though 30-40 fps.

It doesn't really resolve the jaggered, flickery edges around distant objects but it certainly makes the game look better.

Maki_Nishikino
9 hours ago, caatalyst said:

It doesn't really resolve the jaggered, flickery edges around distant objects but it certainly makes the game look better.

All I can suggest is DSR to mask issues as best as possible till the engine gets an upgrade next patch.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino

Maki_Nishikino
10 hours ago, caatalyst said:

SMAAx2 is absolutely fine around 70-100 FPS.

You're the first person I have come across that has said that, I've seen posts here and on Reddit stating SSAA will bring extremely powerful rigs to their knees. What resolution are you playing at?

10 hours ago, caatalyst said:

All I can suggest is DSR to mask issues as best as possible till the engine gets an upgrade next patch. I've played around with DSR on Interchange and it looked a lot better than my native resolution of 1080p and the game was maxed out aside from AA kept at FXAA.

This game simply needs more AA methods because FXAA doesn't cut it and SSAA tanks performance hard.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino

caatalyst
On 7/18/2019 at 7:42 AM, Maki_Nishikino said:

You're the first person I have come across that has said that, I've seen posts here and on Reddit stating SSAA will bring extremely powerful rigs to their knees. What resolution are you playing at?

All I can suggest is DSR to mask issues as best as possible till the engine gets an upgrade next patch. I've played around with DSR on Interchange and it looked a lot better than my native resolution of 1080p and the game was maxed out aside from AA kept at FXAA.

This game simply needs more AA methods because FXAA doesn't cut it and SSAA tanks performance hard.

I play at 1080. That's with a 9900k / Nvidia 2070 / 32GB DDR4.

I'm not interested in 4k gaming right now because I'd rather play with fps 80+ when I can. Starting to sound like a proper snob I know but once you've been spoilt by 80+ fps on a 144hz monitor it's hard to go back

🙂

I really hope the 0.12 update fixes a lot of the visual issues with the game. I squint so much because of jagged, flickering distance textures.

Edited by caatalyst

Maki_Nishikino
16 minutes ago, caatalyst said:

I really hope the 0.12 update fixes a lot of the visual issues with the game. I squint so much because of jagged, flickering distance textures.

We're getting TAA in 0.12. ^_^

Edited by Maki_Nishikino

caatalyst
59 minutes ago, Maki_Nishikino said:

We're getting TAA in 0.12. ^_^

I'm not too hopefully about AA to be honest considering the SMAAx2 doesn't help with the flickery jagged textures I'm seeing.

I hope that the problem does get fixed though.

Edited by caatalyst

Maki_Nishikino
Just now, caatalyst said:

I'm not too hopefully about AA to be honest considering the SMAAx2 doesn't help with the flickery jagged textures I'm seeing.

Well, the engine is being updated also.

caatalyst
Just now, Maki_Nishikino said:

Well, the engine is being updated also.

Fingers crossed.

92Effekten

Is anyone else still have this as an issue? 

I have the exact problems with buildings and metallic objects seeming to be blurry.

Running with 5700xt and have a lot of different setups from low to high.

Blunt3dge
13 hours ago, 92Effekten said:

Is anyone else still have this as an issue? 

I have the exact problems with buildings and metallic objects seeming to be blurry.

Running with 5700xt and have a lot of different setups from low to high.

What resolution do you play in. I currently use an ultra wide monitor and my aspect ratio is still not supported (21:9).