SmashMaster

Issues with Lasers and Reflex Sights

SmashMaster

Hello fellow Tarkovians!

I've spent some time testing lasers and reflex sights, and I've found a couple interesting issues. I've put everything into a short video, and I've also made a chart below summarizing which sights are best.

https://youtu.be/Oj44XqvihHs

There are two basic issues:

1. When your FOV (field of view) setting is set to anything higher than 50 degrees, lasers become misaligned and are no longer accurate. This is a bug.

2. Out of the 21 reflex/collimator sights in Tarkov, 11 are perfectly accurate while the other 10 have serious parallax issues, as shown in the video. I don't know if this is a bug, but I suspect so.

These issues don't apply to telescopic sights or iron sights. I haven't tested them enough, but they seem to work properly.

tarkov_reflex_sight_deviation.png

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

VonOrange

science, this is honestly  good to know keep it up brother

arcadianxero

Nicely done.  Good information to have.  Hopefully this is something to be fixed sooner rather than later!

• Upvote 1

Chaos_Theorist

We need more heroes like you, sir!   Also, to add to this.   I don't have any evidence but I know how to replicate the glitch and will grab some tonight.  Some of you (or all?) may be aware of this already.   If you are using a tactical device on both guns (probably affects sidearm, too), and you toggle your tactical device on or off within a second of switching weapons, it will actually toggle the laser on your back, long after it has left your hands.   This has left squad mates and I walking around with "butt lights" on while unaware.   Doubt it's intentional but thought I'd bring it up.

Edited by Chaos_Theorist

Wurfy

Could be a result of the distance of the plane on which the reticles are rendered, maybe? I would assume they're just textures on a flat plane rendered some distance away. Maybe see how distance from your target affects this. I could be completely wrong, though.

I think the red dots have much bigger issues right now, though, given that most have never even noticed this. In particular it's BS how easily the dots get washed out against a bright background, as well as the fact that the dots which are supposed to be roughly 1-4 MOA are closer to 15-50 or so.

Edited by Wurfy

Himmuguegeli

@SmashMaster

Nice Documentation. Finally, something that properly compares these issues.

I´ve found something myself as well. Something that must be related to the player model which is not properly scaling to the field of view settings which causes an odd advantage over low FoV players.

This is how logic and usual games define the FoV: When a lower FoV is used you seem to be closer to your weapon duo to your lower field of view. When a higher FoV is used your weapon seems to become smaller duo to the bigger FoV you have (you will be closer to your head ingame). Which also means that it´s usually an advantage to use a lower FoV since you will be closer to the thing you aim on. But this never changes the scale of things you look at, since the FoV shouldn´t mess around with the magnification of a firearm, right?

These pictures are taken from Squad.

90 FoV:

Spoiler

20190803131633_1.thumb.jpg.761f3435393f98aa69360dce63b4e0b6.jpg

115 FoV:

Spoiler

20190803131652_1.thumb.jpg.51ff6f6bb9254d1712af58bbdf8e3c6a.jpg

Notice how the object you are aiming on is maintaining it´s size since magnification has not changed! The Field of View of your Scope hasn´t changed either.

This is how EFT is messing up the same thing:

50 (21:9) FoV Valday 1x Magnification:

Spoiler

47647598_2019-08-0313-49_41_63.4-6.7_0_00_10_01.0(0).thumb.png.2624391d66a0ecfc67e8f7fd45645bfc.png

75 (21:9) FoV Valday 1x Magnification:

Spoiler

1121561892_2019-08-0313-49_41_63.4-6.7_0_00_10_01.0(1).thumb.png.db6e87cfb6f49d9157d7cb220cae54a5.png

A smaller FoV isn´t just giving you a gun that is further away from your eyes, but the field of your PIP (Picture in Picture) is also smaller!!!

Let’s summarize this: Using a high FoV will help you snipe and acquire your targets better than with a lower duo to the higher FoV that your Scopes will have. The magnification is also seemingly greater. But as an exchange you will suffer from insane parallax when using a higher FoV.

I am not an expert on this topic in video games, but what I know is that this is broken enough to be called a bug.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Ogryz

Hope they fix this problem as soon as possible, because to me playing on lower FOV feels terrible.

Himmuguegeli
vor 1 Stunde schrieb Ogryz:

Hope they fix this problem as soon as possible, because to me playing on lower FOV feels terrible.

Same here. Let´s pray to the Tarkov gods.

• Like 1

AvIt21

This is very much appreciated. We need more people like you and anton doing focused tests to help this game progress. the fov issues have been a problem for quite some time in one way or another which is a shame. 

Anyway, great job man, keep it up you're doing us and this game a great service.

• Like 1

BLIND_MECHANISM
Posted (edited)

This is still going on and needs fixing. It's the #1 issue with the gunplay right now.

Also, we should have different sliders for hipfire and ADS FOV.

50 ADS FOV and >75 hipfire FOV is the most realistic, as we are able to have a realistic peripheral vision in hipfire but also can see realistically far when aiming. It also reduces the huge advantage of a large monitor.

Edited by BLIND_MECHANISM
grammar