Digital_Drifter

Persistent Blood Spatter/Check Cause of Death

Digital_Drifter

One of the things I like most about Tarkov is the cat and mouse kinda gameplay that emerges between combatants when we don't rush at each other guns blazing, but have to mindgame the other player. Exchanging blindfire, assessing the other person's location and trying to predict their next move, flushing them out with grenades if they camp a site, etc.

One of, if not the most important part of this is gathering as much information as you can on your enemy and on the fly formulating a plan whether and how to approach the situation.

What I propose here would allow us to do some investigating and get more info from corpses to determine how to act.

One option could be persistent blood spatter, showing entry and exit wounds that help determine the direction and maybe caliber (small spatter = small caliber, big spatter = big caliber, fubar = grenade) of the shooter.

Or a new skill/alternatively tied into one of the existing skills like Perception or First Aid/Field Medicine that shows the cause of death on a corpse after inspection (e.g. damaged body parts, maybe with higher skill level direction and distance of the shot, etc.)

For a practical example:

Today, I ran Customs as Scav and came across four dead bodies right out in the open on the rocks behind Gas Station. Thing is, that was it. All I could glean from the corpses, even on closer inspection was that they were dead and partially looted. No wounds, no blood, no bullet holes or spent ammunition. Could have been a sniper, could have been a player rushing them, could have been a lucky AI Scav taking all of them out or it could have been a firefight between two small squads.

In this case I got lucky and looted undisturbed, but I recall many, many, many times when I encountered a similar situation and a patient player hiding somewhere shot me to poo, even after surveying the area for what felt like ages.

I'm not complaining about these situations, they are part of what makes Tarkov such a great and thrilling game. However, crafty players can turn areas into absolute killing fields while laying somewhere in the underbrush or sniping from a distance with little to no risk to themselves. Persistent/directional blood spatter or any other way of examining the aftermath of a battle could give an approaching player another tool to help figure out what the best course of action could be going forward.

Thoughts?

CooH1e2

I really like this idea and I also thought sometimes about leaving blood drops while you have an open wound and still not bandaged.I would anyways mark it as a nice to have but not easy to implement.

It seems that probably would consume resources for something that feels more like a small detail than an urgent topic to handle.

Digital_Drifter
On 8/19/2019 at 9:04 AM, CooH1e2 said:

I really like this idea and I also thought sometimes about leaving blood drops while you have an open wound and still not bandaged.I would anyways mark it as a nice to have but not easy to implement.

It seems that probably would consume resources for something that feels more like a small detail than an urgent topic to handle.

I imagine implementing a more detailed and persistent spatter could be complicated, yeah.

Checking corpses for the cause of death, however, is in the game already in a very basic form via dogtags and the death/kills screen (names, factions, weapons used, location of the killing shot). If a system such as this were to be implemented, I'd imagine it being comparatively easy since there's already some kind of let's call it "kill tracking" in place.

Combine it with a new action or maybe switching to the medical or body tab or whatever it's called when looting a corpse and display the same information we get at the end of a raid.

And I love the idea of actually tracking a wounded enemy, that would be awesome! Some day, maybe... one can hope! 😄