Tarkov vs Nvidia DLSS. What does devs think?

Eqlibrium

Eqlibrium

Hi.

By now im guessing most of us is aware of nvidia's raytracing, and deep learning super sampling. Tho im a fan of open source, unlike nvidia i wonder what DLSS could benefit this game.

Tarkov has run really bad on higher resolution, maybe next unity update will be a game changer. But even so. I must say DLSS is a interesting tech, and im guessing amd (and intel) will make something similar in the future. Maybe there will even be a open source method so anyone can benefit. But that isnt the case now, now nvidia is alone.

So i wonder, what is bsg standpoint regarding deep learning super sampling? Is this something that can be implemented without to much work. Also, im not sure what nvidia demands of devs for them to implement this.. It is a big deal if this tech get good enough that even a 2070 (maybe even smaller chip) could manage 4k. Compared to now, very bad gpu marked. Cards are way overpriced because nvidia has been dominating. If to days pricing is the "new", i would say DLSS gets even more important. Tho i hope gpu marked will become more "normal" if amd and intel can compete.. 

Any info about Tarkov and DLSS?

Edited by Eqlibrium
Eqlibrium

I see. Have you tried it? How bad is it?

I only watched a handful of videos, from what i understood. Image quality wasnt bad, at least worth it looking at the performance gain. Plus there was some minor issues, probably related to this method was "new" then and in a way. Still is. Even if it downgrades quality, this is one of the more interesting tech's that has com out. And it can probably get allot better in the future. If it dosent die, like psyx. I dont think it will.

RACWAR

Is there even any game out there with DLSS yet? I have Hitman 2 which is a confirmed titel for DLSS and I have been waiting for that to be implemented for over half a year now. I also have Hellblade, which is also a titel confirmed for DLSS, and which also doesn't have it.

And when it comes to ray tracing, the only game that I ever got to try that has it was the Quake 2 demo, (because duck BFV).

DLSS is more like a meme now than a serious anti aliasing solution. And the thing about it is, if a developer wants it in their game, then it's not just something they can put it, they need to wait for Nvidia to tailor it to that specific game. Which is probably why it takes freaking ages. The last demo that I've seen of it actually looked worse than proven AA solutions.

TAA is the way to go in terms of AA in my opinion. And thank god that will come with 0.12.

Edited by RACWAR
  • 3 weeks later...
apeFromTarkoff
On 8/31/2019 at 8:00 PM, Eqlibrium said:

If it dosent die, like psyx

is it died ? nvidia bought it and added as part of their GPUs instead of separate card

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

Stable release 9.19.0218 / March 5, 2019

"As one of the handful of major physics engines, it is used in many games, such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Warframe, Killing Floor 2, Fallout 4, Batman: Arkham Knight, Borderlands 2, etc. Most of these games use the CPU to process the physics simulations."

Not many games use it tho, last time i tried to use it was in borderlands 2.. If nvidia was more open source like AMD, maybe it would be more used. One of the costs of making code just run on one card, instead of making it available on all gpu's. I guess 

Edited by Eqlibrium
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
SpoytoR

Yes! 

Unity will add native NVIDIA DLSS support to its game engine | Engadget

NVIDIA DLSS Natively Supported in Unity 2021.2 | NVIDIA Developer Blog

We sure will see some boost in frames :D

Blowfeld81

I too hope for a solid DLSS 2.0 implementation.

The current version is quite amazing in giving you more fps with almost no loss in image fidelity. Fingers crossed.

LumberingTroll

DLSS would help the FPS from the horribly optimized maps, but it sure wont help their terrible netcode, so the game will still run and feel like crap. 

tanquist47

Threads about this on reddit get deleted, even though this is clearly a new situation now.

Apparantly its for Version 2021 of unity, I think Tarkov is on 2019. If they update, and their engine modifications still allow this to be used..

..might be cool. I'd certainly start playing again.

HowlinWolf_PL

hope we will see DLSS 2.0 implementation but not sure will it support Unity 2019 that BSG is looking at currently