JasonXieyf

Does the "zero distance" in this game mean near zero or far zero?

JasonXieyf

I know this game's external ballistic is now somehow weird, because people don't actually adjust zeroing on the field by distance. But whatever, talking about this game, I am always wondering what the zeroing means in this game.

Is it near zero, or far zero? (Does the bullet go up, or go down past zero point?)

It looks like this game is using far zero point(point of impact below point of aim past zeroing distance). But I don't understand how you can achieve a 25m or 50m far zero point???(The bullet would fly like a mortar round).

So how exactly does it work in this game, CURRENTLY?

BTW, does height over bore actually matter currently? I mean, if you add a riser, is point of impact simply offset a little bit, or the whole trajectory is recalculated?

Backslapped

I always assumed that zero distance was primarily used for bullet drop. My understanding is essentially this: If you zero a scope to 100m, and the target is 100m, the bullet will essentially hit exactly where you're aiming. If that target is actually 150m away, and you are zeroed to 100m, you would need to aim a bit higher because the point of impact will be a bit below where you aim due to bullet drop. I also thought that if you have a scope zeroed to 100, and your target is only 15m away, the bullet would go above the center of your aim because there would be no bullet drop.  All of this could be wrong, but this basic understanding has worked for me thus far.

Edit: I've also always heard you have to account for the height over bore

Edited by Backslapped
forgot
  • Hot 1

RACWAR
1 hour ago, JasonXieyf said:

BTW, does height over bore actually matter currently? I mean, if you add a riser, is point of impact simply offset a little bit, or the whole trajectory is recalculated?

As far as I know, or rather as far as I once heard, it does matter, because apparently in EFT every bullet is actually simulated, and it actually leaves the gun at the end of the barrel, instead of coming from the center of your screen as in most casual shooters.

I mean, technically you should just be able to test this for yourself, offline mode and stand close to an object and see where the impact is compared to where you aimed.

JasonXieyf
9 hours ago, RACWAR said:

As far as I know, or rather as far as I once heard, it does matter, because apparently in EFT every bullet is actually simulated, and it actually leaves the gun at the end of the barrel, instead of coming from the center of your screen as in most casual shooters.

I mean, technically you should just be able to test this for yourself, offline mode and stand close to an object and see where the impact is compared to where you aimed.

No, this difference only shows up in long distance. For example in 200 meter maybe several inches of difference for point of impact. There is almost no way to test it.

I know the bullet is coming from the muzzle, even the new COD has this feature. I am asking how the sight is zeroed.

The reason I am asking this is, if height over bore is taken into consideration, then 25m or 50m far zero point is almost imposible, because in this distance the bullet is still flying upwards

Edited by JasonXieyf

JasonXieyf
9 hours ago, Backslapped said:

I always assumed that zero distance was primarily used for bullet drop. My understanding is essentially this: If you zero a scope to 100m, and the target is 100m, the bullet will essentially hit exactly where you're aiming. If that target is actually 150m away, and you are zeroed to 100m, you would need to aim a bit higher because the point of impact will be a bit below where you aim due to bullet drop. I also thought that if you have a scope zeroed to 100, and your target is only 15m away, the bullet would go above the center of your aim because there would be no bullet drop.  All of this could be wrong, but this basic understanding has worked for me thus far.

Edit: I've also always heard you have to account for the height over bore

No. The bullet spanws below the muzzle, it first travels upwards, past line of sight at "near zero point", and then the gravity brings it down, and it passes the line of sight the second time("far zero point"). In your example, the zero distance would be far zero point.

In your example, 15m is too early for the bullet to pass "near zero point", thus it should still be below the line of sight, which is correct in this game.

My problem is, 50m far zero point is almost impossible, I don't know what kind of math simulates this trajectory

JasonXieyf

To explain my point clearly, this is common zeroing method for AR15

I don't think it is in theory possible to achieve a 25m or 50m zero distance, if the "zero distance" means far zero.

Simply put, the bullet drops too early. It acts like a 6mm bb.

different-zero-points.jpg

• Like 1

TUALMASOK
11 hours ago, RACWAR said:

The projectile does not leave the end of the barrel, it leaves a short distance from the end of the barrel. I discovered this the hard way.

JasonXieyf
7 hours ago, TUALMASOK said:

The projectile does not leave the end of the barrel, it leaves a short distance from the end of the barrel. I discovered this the hard way.

Interested to hear your story....

BTW, So how are those "point blank" hits made?

TUALMASOK
17 hours ago, JasonXieyf said:

Interested to hear your story....

BTW, So how are those "point blank" hits made?

Snuck up on a PMC in woods, he was prone and I was crouched, so I was literally standing on top of him. I sunk a full mag of M995 into his head and back, and he got up and shot me. I had no hits recorded at the post game stats screen.

Last week I was shotgunning scavs in Woods and came across two scavs. I got to point blank range and unloaded into the first scav, but the shots killed the scav behind him. I had to pull back a metre so that the shotgun would work on the first scav. The only thing that explains this phenomena is that the projectiles do not leave the end of the barrel, but either a predetermined point from the player, or a predetermined point from a specific weapon in use.