GoForce1

Game Optimization

GoForce1

Hello Developers,

Escape From Tarkov is a great game with one major flaw. Sure the game is in the beta form so some grace is necessary. And sure things like the AI and flee-market can be hard to balance. However, the biggest problem is the game's optimization. Tarkov will never be a top market, consumer friendly, game with its current optimization. For instance, I run a 1050 ti and with my graphics on low, if i'm lucky, I get a consistent 50 frames. The 1050 ti is an above average graphics card and yet i'm getting terrible frames. It is not just graphics either, menu lag, long matching times, terrible map chunk loading, etc. I don't pretend to know a lot about optimization and therefore will not pretend to provide a solution. However, Tarkov will do significantly better if the developers spend more time making the game more efficient and faster for mid-range computers. 

For reference, play Rainbow Six Siege on high and get 80-70 frames consistently. Compared to Tarkov, where after optimizing everything on my pc (Low settings, killing background processes, etc.) I get close to an inconsistent 60 frames. Bare in mind, I mentioned only a few things that are optimized poorly, there are many others such as: distance rendering efficiency, ambient light efficiency, scope magnification, and player's interactions with objects. These are the main issues that I could think of, however, i'm sure that there are others. 

I would also like to address anyone that is currently typing a rebuttal to my statement "Tarkov will never be a top market, consumer friendly, game with its current optimization". Yes, granted, the game may never be a "top market" general "consumer friendly" game. However, Tarkov will have a much better player base if the game is more available to those who are not running god PC specs. This is not speculative either, games with better optimization generally do better than games that require heavy PC specs. So, in conclusion, Tarkov is a great game and has already done a great job with gameplay and creating an enjoyable environment, but I would like to see the developers spend more time and money into improving the game as a whole to make it more accessible.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plasterninja

I know this must come as a shock to you, but making a game and adding large amounts of content intermittently like BSG does, tends to screw up whatever optimization they have done in the previous patches.

I'm running a 1080 ti and I remember 0.10 as a god patch for me with great fps and very little lag. But I started playing that patch very late into the wipe. Then they did 0.11 and my frames went to poo, they optimized and it was good again. Now they've added the perhaps larges amount of content ever and have to optimize it through OUR feedback. Their internal testers can't have every imaginable combination of computer hardware there is...

Calling this game a beta is kinda wrong though, its an early access Alpha as they are still adding content and changing the core game. So you don't have to give them any grace, you just have to test the game with different settings and doo-dads, then give them feedback as to how the game works out for you so that they can actually try to optimize it.

Acecool

Actually, it doesn't Plasterninja...

Adding content is data-entry. It increases overhead but shouldn't decrease performance unless the underlying code that manages the content is poor to begin with. Overhead being stuff loaded into memory and models are not large. Textures are.

I'm running an X299 system on a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming with 32GB DDR4 @ 3Ghz, with an X7820 at 4.5GHz on all 8 cores, 16 threads, with 2 1080 GTX Gaming X video cards, on hardware SLI, with 8 GB DDR5 at some high speed with it installed on a Samsung Pro 1TB NVME 3500 MB/sec drive.

I get about 12 FPS on 4k. Previous version I got a solid 40 which is at the bottom limit of playable. Maximum everything with 2x supersampling. It looked pretty and played well.

However, now, even if I reduce shadows, AA, etc.. I can only get about 16FPS. Even getting rid of SLI doesn't do anything...

If I go to 1080P then I get about 60 fps, but the game looks like Halflife 1... The tree textures are super blocky.. minecraft-like...

I have a 4k 1ms monitor for the purpose of 4k.... Going down isn't an option, especially at the quality loss.

ARGENT0

I7, 16GB ram, 1050 ti, 1280x720 and I play it to the minimum, ultra low quality. It was the only way to prevent random freezes

sackmycack

Running the game on the lowest settings possible in my experience makes it run worse, it does actually give you an advantage because you can see people more clearly,  worrun or anton did a vid on this like 6 months ago or so. I have an i5 9600kf, gtx 1060 3gb and 16gb 3000mhz dual channel. I use medium graphics detail, object lod quality on 2, min shadow visibility, max visibility, everything off including the check boxes, and then I have use all logical cores on. None of my stuff is overclocked and I get a minimum of 80fps on all maps. Shoreline holds a constant 80 and on mil base I get around 100fps but since the map isn't well optimized it sometimes dips to around 60. I should also mention I have it on an ssd, and I run the game in 1920x1080 fullscreen.

Edited by sackmycack

Kenshi_San

Bump....

I'm looking to get this lovely looking game but I am very skeptical of how this game will run on my PC. I have a i5-8300h, a GTX 1050ti, and 8 gigs of ram. If someone with my specs or less can tell me how their experience is overall it would be much appreciated. If anyone that knows what this game looks and runs like on this setup, it'll greatly help me out in making this purchase or not!

Wadexas
2 minutes ago, Kenshi_San said:

Bump....

I'm looking to get this lovely looking game but I am very skeptical of how this game will run on my PC. I have a i5-8300h, a GTX 1050ti, and 8 gigs of ram. If someone with my specs or less can tell me how their experience is overall it would be much appreciated. If anyone that knows what this game looks and runs like on this setup, it'll greatly help me out in making this purchase or not!

Hey man, i had gtx 1050 ti 4gb edition, it was stable on 48-60 fps ish, playable but sometimes stutters can occur nothing major, i played with gtx 1050 ti for a long time and my cpu was i5-4460 8gb rams.

Kenshi_San
On 12/9/2019 at 3:57 AM, Wadexas said:

Hey man, i had gtx 1050 ti 4gb edition, it was stable on 48-60 fps ish, playable but sometimes stutters can occur nothing major, i played with gtx 1050 ti for a long time and my cpu was i5-4460 8gb rams.

Hey, this gives me hope, i love this game and can feel like this will be one of my favorite games and i havent even played it, if i can get stable 40-50 fps id be happy. if microstuttering happens ill really have to see how bad it is, some games do it and it really isnt so bad, but lets just see yeah? thanks pal