ErikStoner98

Suppressor's need a big adjustment.

ErikStoner98

Why are some supressor so silent that the word ''supress'' isn't even involved anymore. I have no idea what kind of ammo they are using, but the last 4 games-in-a-row with a day in between; I've been headshotted without even hearing a single shot. Just the impact on my face. Same goes for a friend of mine playing the same match. He doesn't hear anything after I got knocked out and vise versa.

Thormato

Gz you found out about Sniper

Pretzel

It depends a lot on what gun they are using, an AS VAL or VSS for example with SP-6 or the fancy AP ammo will go through a face shield no problem and the only thing you will probably hear is the impact of the rounds near you. You got the suppressed version of the DVL that is dead quiet at medium ranges, same goes for a SKS. Plus there's plenty of people right now doing quests where you need to take out people from 100+ meters if i'm not wrong, and for sure they are slapping a suppressor on whatever they are using.

EnricoPalazzo

Most projectiles are faster than sound so you will not hear the shot before they hit. So you might not hear the shot that hits you - but you are right - your friend should have heard at least something.

tnkr

Subsonic ammunition at range won't sound like much.

Yukari_Akiyama
6 hours ago, tnkr said:

Subsonic ammunition at range won't sound like much.

The problem is no one is using subsonic ammo and use AP ammo becuase there is no noise penalty like there is in real life. Using non subsonic ammo should have a louder bang.

• Upvote 1

walkr2

Hey,

The thing is.. after a certain range from the shooter, you won’t hear the shot, only the bullet impacts faintly. Nothing more scary than when the ground starts crackling from shots, but no shots can be heard!

but if your talking about the fact of been sniped and heard NOTHING, including the bullet piercing your helmet, then I understand what your talking about, I would put it down to desync.. I’ve had this a few times, specially on Reserve versus dome snipers

Acecool

Sound travels at different speeds through different materials. You were likely further away from the player than the time it took the shot to reach you, and the time it took for you to 'die' so you no longer hear any new sounds from the game had taken place...

But, there are instances where people have aimbotted at me over mountains from the opposite end of the map and that is crazy.

The sound mechanics do need some work, though, as does cartridges you should be able to hear, regardless of suppression or not if they are supersonic.. ie: If the shot is directed at you, you would hear a sharp crack. There is a video on Youtube from Bahrain where peaceful protestors were shot in the street like rabid dogs and you could clearly hear the gunshots, and the accompanied 'crack' of the projectile breaking the sound barrier.

If the shot is not directed towards you, that crack is typically not heard.

• Upvote 1

Thorun

Not to necro, but this is the most recent thread on the topic, and it absolutely needs more attention than it's getting.

Because the crack and whizz of rounds landing nearby is arguably pretty okay where it's at - I've never not known I was being shot at, nor not known what basic direction it came from. But the amount of sound suppression shooters are enjoying is a genuine problem.

From a gameplay perspective, it's hurting variety. I can assure you that if I get hit by a random round from nowhere, it's some kind of 7.62x54mm. There's no reason to use something smaller - the sound radius is only about 10-20 meters different for the actual shot. Now, there's lots of realism arguments that could be made here, of course - suppressors (barely) make high-powered weapons safe to operate without hearing protection, for example. But it's also just bad for the game - the meta is to use the biggest, most armor penetrating bullet you have. Always.

It's also a boon for cheaters. Every questionable death I've experienced, save one, has involved the 7.62x54mm round, because it's the fastest way to reliably put down even a heavily armored opponent. The fact that they don't have to announce their presence to at least half the map to use it is only working in their favor.

I've had the pleasure of shooting suppressed, subsonic, small caliber (.22 LR) rounds. They're about as loud as you're treating a large-caliber, match-grade rounds with anti-material capabilities (7.62x54mmR 7N14).

More aggressive scaling down of the effectiveness of suppressors for large cartridges that are not subsonic is going to encourage more varied use of weapons and equipment loadouts in different situations, it's going to make for a more realistic gameplay flow, and it could legitimately help identify and punish cheaters.

afgan_
Posted (edited)

I would put that down to "sound is still in development". I agree with you in general - for example Mosin is extremely loud weapon in real life - even with suppressor. As well 7.62x54r is supersonic ammo so should be heard well even if sniper uses suppressor - and here all the weapons counts. It just seems that if you run suppressor the sound literally disappears 20 metres away. So from shooter perspective is realistic, but it just drops off far too quickly. 

As for cheaters benefitting from suppressors - I don't they care. If they can one shot you, they don't care who is hearing them and I would argue it may even be better for them that people run towards them (they just going to have more frags quicker).

Other caliber which seems to be too quiet is 7.62x39 (especially SKS) and 7.62x51. Surprisingly 5.45 and 5.56 are fine or at least fairly reasonable.

Edited by afgan_
  • Upvote 1

Thorun

I mean, that's absolutely fair - I'm not going to bang my fists and flip tables that a game in Beta isn't finished. So "sound is still in development" is a reasonable answer, though I also think there's surprisingly little feedback on this topic, and highlighting the issues here will help the team when they get around to it.

Now that said? I do disagree on the matter of cheaters. Because there's a number of reasons why a person might not record their play sessions, and I'm one of those people. It's just not all that practical for me. But that also means that when I encounter something suspect, I haven't got any more evidence than my death screen. Whereas, whilst having every player on the map swarm a cheater will likely lead to their slaughter, barring blind-fire, grenades or luck, it will also generate a lot of evidence very rapidly, allowing for the removal of that player from the pool.

Finally, I really just picked the most glaring example. In my personal opinion, I feel like every munition is too quiet, but as "hardcore" as Tarkov is often touted as, it isn't a MilSim. So I'll settle for "reasonable" - make large caliber rounds louder, and definitely make magnum and similar rounds notable louder than their counterparts, and that'll be enough.