Sign in to follow this  
youngwhitewolf

why are shotguns so weak and nearly useless vs armour

youngwhitewolf

First off i get games can only take in so much information but how can I stand less then 5 feet behind someone put two shotgun blasts (12-70 mp-133 with comp on the barrel) and have the guy turn and just blast me way? This isn't the first time either. I have tested with a friend and you can with armour tank up to three shots point blank range, which i am sorry to say is not possible with the armour designs in this game as the force of each blast would break your body from the insides. Armour would stop the force of a small cal. gun close range or high cals at a distance but the force of a shotgun that close would break ribs and bruise lungs if it doesn't stop your heart depending on where you were hit. i am not asking for a 50ft range shotgun hit to even really hurt someone in full armour because it wouldn't but if i sneak up on a guy and get to point blank range and land two clean square of the chest shots that the MF wearing armour cannot just insta headshot me because i didn't have a semi-auto shotgun to keep going or just remove the mp-133 because it has no reason to be in the game and just takes up file space.

Yukari_Akiyama

Shotguns aren’t that effective against ESAPI and Russian equivalents. The brusing and severe internal truma you describe usually happens with intermediate and battle rifle cartridges like 5.56x45 and 7.62 NATO. Shotgun shells have significantly less  PSI than rifle rounds, for example on average a 12 guage (12.7mm shell) round tends to average 11,000 PSI (pounds per square inch) while a 5.56 M855 round will average 55,000 PSI. That isn’t to say someone wearing Fortis or IOTV with plates isn’t going to have a bad day when taking a 00 buck shell to the chest, but on average a healthy male should be able to react and return fire without stumbling to the ground or falling backwards. Keep in mind there is a reason military organizations accross the world don’t use shotguns outside of niche uses like door breaching or riot control with less than lethal ammo. Shotguns should still be able to disable or kill someone with soft armor like 3M or PACA.

• Like 1

Voidfather
57 minutes ago, youngwhitewolf said:

First off i get games can only take in so much information but how can I stand less then 5 feet behind someone put two shotgun blasts (12-70 mp-133 with comp on the barrel) and have the guy turn and just blast me way? This isn't the first time either. I have tested with a friend and you can with armour tank up to three shots point blank range, which i am sorry to say is not possible with the armour designs in this game as the force of each blast would break your body from the insides. Armour would stop the force of a small cal. gun close range or high cals at a distance but the force of a shotgun that close would break ribs and bruise lungs if it doesn't stop your heart depending on where you were hit. i am not asking for a 50ft range shotgun hit to even really hurt someone in full armour because it wouldn't but if i sneak up on a guy and get to point blank range and land two clean square of the chest shots that the MF wearing armour cannot just insta headshot me because i didn't have a semi-auto shotgun to keep going or just remove the mp-133 because it has no reason to be in the game and just takes up file space.

Hey brother, one thing ive noticed as a new player is what shot gun youre using. what kind of ammo youre using and then you must take into consideration that if the person you are in a fire fight with is wear full on armor and helmet which can also be modded, then you must take into play who has the faster reaction time along with are your shots going where you honestly think they are going.  another you must consider is the distance that youre shooting from.  I havent had a problem with the shotguns and always take one with me when im using long range as a main hand,  if im armored up I usually RAMBO through Scavs just by making sure my shots are dead on.  If they are wearing heavy body armor and head then shoot at the legs. the shotgun is not weak brother, theres alot to take into consideration.

GhostZ69

You may want to watch this:

• Confused 1

tobiassolem

Soft armor? Yes. Definitely. A shotgun blast to the chest, if the target has a PACA, he should be knocked out, at least.

A plate carrier rig? No. A slug hitting the plate won't do much more than scare and shake the target.

ACuddlyBadger
15 minutes ago, tobiassolem said:

Soft armor? Yes. Definitely. A shotgun blast to the chest, if the target has a PACA, he should be knocked out, at least.

A plate carrier rig? No. A slug hitting the plate won't do much more than scare and shake the target.

I think you should be able to hear the person hit audibly panting and losing stamina. Delivering the joules from a shotgun to your chest or even worse, your diaphragm (stomach) would not be lethal with hard plate armor at all, but I imagine it would duck you up enough to knock the wind out of you. 

sackmycack

Theres ap slugs if you want to defeat armor, otherwise just use magnum buck shot 2 hit kills if you hit arms or legs. Also getting hit by a shotgun even with steel plates instead of ceramic would most likely break ribs. I know that its rumored they are going to add the advanced armor system which means that you will receive only protection to where the plates/soft armor is at. This is to make the seemingly pointless rounds in the game have a use because if you are skilled or patient enough you can just shoot the armor gaps and kill the person as if the armor wasn't even there. I hope this will make ceramic armors less strong because ceramic armors are designed to stop only at most a few rounds in most situations because they are designed to dissipate  the kinetic energy of the round so there isn't as much internal damage done. Where as steel doesn't do this but can stop more rounds. Also ceramic plates are much lighter,  2lbs + per standard size plate. I'm not asking them to make some advanced armor damage system for ceramic armors, just maybe give them a bit less hp but your thorax takes less blunt damage through a different multiplier than steel plates. This could also create lots of bugs and lag, for example when shooting at somebody with gen4 which has a class 4 plate along with a class 3a soft armor which is why it is labeled as class 5 in game, along with that the arm, neck, and groin protectors are only class 3a. 

ballistic_event-1024x641.jpg

Edited by sackmycack

youngwhitewolf

Sorry I should have been more clear with what i was saying. I was referring to body armour not the rigs. I know it wasn't clear in my post and I am sorry for the confusion. That said the video shows some range plus he is looking for plate damage not internal body damage which is not what i am talking about. just strapping that plate armour to your chest and taking a shot will cause heavy internal damage. The rig set ups in this game defuse some of that force so well they won't die or being unable to fight they will be feeling it.

Again sorry for the confusing way i wrote it.

EDIT: the blue body armour with the 75 health is what was worn

Edited by youngwhitewolf

Munzig

those shotguns are mostly useful against non armor carrying Persons. Why?

12x70 7, 8.5mm Buckshots are little "balls" which arent supposed to penetrate an armor, but have to damage a naked body more and cause pain trauma.

12x70 Slug (One single big bullet) Is supposed to damage very hard. Can one shot enemies, who dont wear Armor. This Bullets dont have a pointy tip, they have a flat tip that is supposed to hit a big hole into the body, to produce more internal damage and to prevent the bullet to fly through the target. If the Bullet stays inside of the body, the damage inside the body increases. BUT: Because of this flat tip, the penetration rate decreases, because of the big impact space.. pointy tips are more likely to penetrate armor properly.

I would recommend 12/70 .50bmg, 12/70 AP/20 Ammo, those work fine, even against armor. Especially .50bmg

FREEZED

if enemy does not have face shield you can shoot his face or if he has face shield you should focus to aim his legs which do not have any armor.

NoonTimeDrunk

They need the kenetic energy to effect the player even if armoured should be enough to aim punch, stagger depending on where the shot took place.

• Upvote 1