Communication - Force mic into the game

TheMrApostel

TheMrApostel

Hello all,

this game will be played in clans or a group of friends which are using communication platform like teamspeak, discord, skype etc.

So this would be a unfair for players who are playing alone because you can't hear them talk. Thats what me and my friends are doing.

Because this game is a hardcore realistic one, i would really appreciate when all sounds captured of the connected mic would be forced into the game. In Arma there are mods to do so and i really like the idea. Maybe thats something the developer should consinder?

Thank you for your time!

• Upvote 3
TheMrApostel

Maybe they can also add different level of volume for that option.
So you can choose between whispern, normal and scream.
You're still be able to communicate with your team in close range without that every enemy on the map can hear you.

• Upvote 1
Cosantoir

This will be in the final release as its not a core feature I wouldn't expect it until Beta but would expect it at some point.

I agree its  a good idea.

RadicalBeatz
vor 4 Stunden schrieb TheMrApostel:

Hello all,

this game will be played in clans or a group of friends which are using communication platform like teamspeak, discord, skype etc.

So this would be a unfair for players who are playing alone because you can't hear them talk. Thats what me and my friends are doing.

Because this game is a hardcore realistic one, i would really appreciate when all sounds captured of the connected mic would be forced into the game. In Arma there are mods to do so and i really like the idea. Maybe thats something the developer should consinder?

Thank you for your time!

u mean like task force radio?

yeah i would like that idea and the fact that u cant hear ur mates if they are to far away from u 

4 hours ago, TheMrApostel said:

Hello all,

Thank you for your time!

1 hour ago, TheMrApostel said:

Maybe they can also add different level of volume for that option.
So you can choose between whispern, normal and scream.
You're still be able to communicate with your team in close range without that every enemy on the map can hear you.

love this idea, could even go 1 more with the voulme idea like you have to find/build a radio/walkietalkie to make you coms quiter and even earpieces to make them quieter again. 

what u think...a step 2far (implemttion wise) maby?

NemesisX00

While it makes sense that using outside communication might be unfair, it is absolutely a mistake for force all players' microphones to be always-on and transmitting sound. The reason is, I would guess 99% of the time at least, what you will hear is people breathing into microphones, coughing, fans/air conditioners/machines in the background making noise, family members/friends in the room talking, etc. Not to mention there's no universal way to balance every player's input gain, so for those actually communicating, some will be little more than a whisper but most will likely be like they're shouting through a loudspeaker.

Forcing the microphones on will shatter the immersion of the game and make playing EFT entirely unbearable.

• Upvote 2
TheMrApostel
vor 22 Minuten schrieb RadicalBeatz:

u mean like task force radio?

yeah i would like that idea and the fact that u cant hear ur mates if they are to far away from u 

Exactly. That would add way more realitstic gameplay to the game.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb NemesisX00:

While it makes sense that using outside communication might be unfair, it is absolutely a mistake for force all players' microphones to be always-on and transmitting sound. The reason is, I would guess 99% of the time at least, what you will hear is people breathing into microphones, coughing, fans/air conditioners/machines in the background making noise, family members/friends in the room talking, etc. Not to mention there's no universal way to balance every player's input gain, so for those actually communicating, some will be little more than a whisper but most will likely be like they're shouting through a loudspeaker.

Forcing the microphones on will shatter the immersion of the game and make playing EFT entirely unbearable.

I see your point here.

I that case you could disable your mic under the control panel but that wont do much people i guess.
But i dont think that this function will make the game unbearable.
Maybe whats about this idea:

1.) When talking with your mic the voice wont be forced into the game but your ingame charakter will talk russian like the ai?
2.) The voice is only forced when playing in a squad / team?
3.) After the first login in ETF you have to configure your mic your will be told that the mic will be forced through. So everyone knows what the consequenses might be.

Without this function all "lone wolf" players will have a big disatvantage and i would really like to reduce that. Me and my friends are going to play as a full team but we would all like such a function.

I looked up a video for you with that paticular function in Arma 3. After some distance you'r unable to hear the voices and have to use a radio.

• Upvote 1
vor 6 Minuten schrieb TheMrApostel:

Exactly. That would add way more realitstic gameplay to the game.

I see your point here.

I that case you could disable your mic under the control panel but that wont do much people i guess.
But i dont think that this function will make the game unbearable.
Maybe whats about this idea:

1.) When talking with your mic the voice wont be forced into the game but your ingame charakter will talk russian like the ai?
2.) The voice is only forced when playing in a squad / team?
3.) After the first login in ETF you have to configure your mic your will be told that the mic will be forced through. So everyone knows what the consequenses might be.

Without this function all "lone wolf" players will have a big disatvantage and i would really like to reduce that. Me and my friends are going to play as a full team but we would all like such a function.

I looked up a video for you with that paticular function in Arma 3. After some distance you'r unable to hear the voices and have to use a radio.

then play arma

• Upvote 1

I really like this idea, but i dont think its possible to realize it in that way. All 3rd party communication tools are killing the in game communication between players. But if u can get an advantage by using Teamspeak, people will use it no matter what. And there will always be a way to use a 3rd party communication tool.

6 hours ago, TheMrApostel said:

Hello all,

Thank you for your time!

I am sorry but i find this a stupid idea.

Yes give us VOIP but forcing it to be on all the time will totally un-immerse yourself from the game hearing some 11 year old babbling about pokemon go..... NO THANK YOU.

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

You can subvert this using Virtual Audio Cable program, you will not be able to enforce this.

Also this is totally right there is no way to force people to use in-game voice.

• Upvote 3

I think you are talking about like Task Force Radio from Arma 3? It is a plugin that connects teamspeak to a game server, and if they set the server up correctly then they can't do anything until the client is connected to the teamspeak correctly. While I personally love it on Arma 3 in which i choose to download it, im not sure how it would do for a full game release where everyone has something similar to it. There are volumes at which you can talk, and depending on your ts settings you can have it on voice recognition, or push to talk which is what I use and when you push the button you talk in-game. Maybe they can have a separate server plugin for servers that wish to have this feature??

Black-Mamba
vor 12 Stunden schrieb TheMrApostel:

Hello all,

Thank you for your time!

I had that idea back in Dayz. But i think it is not possible to enforce this. They can always revert to a different chat client.

TheMrApostel
vor 13 Stunden schrieb drizzor:

I really like this idea, but i dont think its possible to realize it in that way. All 3rd party communication tools are killing the in game communication between players. But if u can get an advantage by using Teamspeak, people will use it no matter what. And there will always be a way to use a 3rd party communication tool.

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Ozymandias:

You can subvert this using Virtual Audio Cable program, you will not be able to enforce this.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb aaateam111:

I've already found a way to bypass this, lol. Didn't take long with few adjustment.

Yeah sure this feature can be bypassed easily. Everything can be bypassed when you know how to do so but how many players will be able to do that? Lets be optimistic and say 20% of all players who are going to play EFT are bypassing that. In that case 80% left who are using that feature whenether they dont like it and are unable to bypass that or like the idea.

I want to add a little more realistic to the game. You wont be able to communicate with your teammates in a realistic environment? (I know I exaggerat but i hope you unterstand what my point is)

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Orbixal:

I am sorry but i find this a stupid idea.

Yes give us VOIP but forcing it to be on all the time will totally un-immerse yourself from the game hearing some 11 year old babbling about pokemon go..... NO THANK YOU.

Also this is totally right there is no way to force people to use in-game voice.

I also see your point here but i think you misunterstood.
This isnt a global voip option. You will be able to hear your teammeate in a (lets say) 15 meter radius and after 20 meters you wont be hear anything anymore from him. Should there be a player who is telling his whole live story ingame.. PERFECT - Free loot because you know where he must be.
Also there is a simple way to force people to use that. Nothing is impossible :)
But i know what you mean. Backgroundnoises are still bad. In that case just disable ur mic and you also wont be able to communicate with your mates within skype etc, too. Think they would also be glad to have less noise.

Why do i suggest that feature?
Because i want to reduce the advantage from teams who are able to communicate with each others without anyone can notice because when there isnt such an option then we will use teamspeak.

1 minute ago, TheMrApostel said:

Yeah sure this feature can be bypassed easily. Everything can be bypassed when you know how to do so but how many players will be able to do that? Lets be optimistic and say 20% of all players who are going to play EFT are bypassing that. In that case 80% left who are using that feature whenether they dont like it and are unable to bypass that or like the idea.

I want to add a little more realistic to the game. You wont be able to communicate with your teammates in a realistic environment? (I know I exaggerat but i hope you unterstand what my point is)

I also see your point here but i think you misunterstood.
This isnt a global voip option. You will be able to hear your teammeate in a (lets say) 15 meter radius and after 20 meters you wont be hear anything anymore from him. Should there be a player who is telling his whole live story ingame.. PERFECT - Free loot because you know where he must be.
Also there is a simple way to force people to use that. Nothing is impossible :)
But i know what you mean. Backgroundnoises are still bad. In that case just disable ur mic and you also wont be able to communicate with your mates within skype etc, too. Think they would also be glad to have less noise.

Why do i suggest that feature?
Because i want to reduce the advantage from teams who are able to communicate with each others without anyone can notice because when there isnt such an option then we will use teamspeak.

I didn't think it was global but i still think you idea is dumb i am sorry you aren't going to change my opinion and this is never going to happen. 

The fact you use Skype as an example shows me how much you know about these types of things.

necuja

I just see this pissing a lot of people off lol and even if it were implemented and this 80% doesn't know how to bypass they will eventually just research how to or even invest in a cheap laptop and run their ts or w/e on it 

19 hours ago, TheMrApostel said:

Hello all,

Thank you for your time!

Like in ARMA and MISCREATED you can have different levels of COMMS.

If we only allowed communication via the headset in the game it would mean that all comms will be heard (in-game) similar to 'local' on the other 2 games. It makes sense that anyone planning an attack in real life would communicate with a whisper or hand signals. They would not talk aloud as the enemy would hear them.

I know that anyone can run Discord or TeamSpeak separately from the game so communication will always be there, but the principal of what the OP is saying is a great idea. Could BSG 'force-enable' comms if a microphone is detected on startup of the game? Does this present privacy/snooping issues?

Dunno feasibility but I think this a great idea.

• Upvote 1
TheMrApostel
vor 4 Stunden schrieb Orbixal:

I didn't think it was global but i still think you idea is dumb i am sorry you aren't going to change my opinion and this is never going to happen. 

The fact you use Skype as an example shows me how much you know about these types of things.

Calling a suggestion dumb is quite rude dont you think? By the way we dont use skype, we are using teamspeak 3 with a license on a self-hosted debian system but whatever mate.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb necuja:

I just see this pissing a lot of people off lol and even if it were implemented and this 80% doesn't know how to bypass they will eventually just research how to or even invest in a cheap laptop and run their ts or w/e on it 

Yeah it seems that "some" people aren't ready for that kind of idea. In some games you are able to reduce the draw distance by editing the config files so that most of the objects wont be rendered except the players. Some do the research to do so and some dont. I really understand your point and you're absolutly right about that. I just liked the idea behind that to add a little more realistic into the game so why not in EFT but as you see this suggesting is pissing of some people like hell would break down.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb simulcra:

Like in ARMA and MISCREATED you can have different levels of COMMS.

If we only allowed communication via the headset in the game it would mean that all comms will be heard (in-game) similar to 'local' on the other 2 games. It makes sense that anyone planning an attack in real life would communicate with a whisper or hand signals. They would not talk aloud as the enemy would hear them.

I know that anyone can run Discord or TeamSpeak separately from the game so communication will always be there, but the principal of what the OP is saying is a great idea. Could BSG 'force-enable' comms if a microphone is detected on startup of the game? Does this present privacy/snooping issues?

Dunno feasibility but I think this a great idea.

Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate your polite answer. That's excatly what i mean but you brought up a good point... "privacy/snooping issues" - Until now i haven't thought about that. I need some time to think about that.

Ozymandias

13 hours ago, TheMrApostel said:

The point here about not being able to enforce the microphone is valid because people can literally install a program for a huge in-game tactical advantage. You don't want that... It's not fun, fair or "more realistic" it just means one more advantage for people who spend a lot of time playing the game. There's no way to detect/stop it and it's pretty easy to do. Youtube will be filled with videos of "how to disable EFT forced voice comms." You'll also get people in your games blasting high-frequency, loud sound that breaks immersion. That, in my opinion is enough to not want the feature even if you could get 99.9999% enforcement.

Edited by Ozymandias
9 hours ago, TheMrApostel said:

Calling a suggestion dumb is quite rude dont you think? 

Well i called it dumb because it is dumb.

9 hours ago, TheMrApostel said:

"privacy/snooping issues" - Until now i haven't thought about that.

This proves my point.

Edited by Orbixal
ShiroTenshi
On 1/8/2017 at 4:45 PM, TheMrApostel said:

Because this game is a hardcore realistic one, i would really appreciate when all sounds captured of the connected mic would be forced into the game.

Well i am going to make a prediction here and say that if they do implement this, it will be a whooping 3 hours before trolls figure out they can join and start blasting cheesy music all the time.

Honestly though. Enforcing something like this is a waste of time because there are many ways to bypass it. Let's assume i have a studio microphone connected. If EFT starts detecting and forcing all audio from that Mic, what stops me from buying a cheap $5 Mic, connecting it and setting it up as primary than muting it while only TS uses the studio one? EFT will either need some very good decision making skills when automatically choosing which mic to transmit from or it is going to choose system default. 

At this point we have to consider something. Is the effort needed to add something like this greater than the possible gains? If yes, than it really doesn't need to be in. The fact that it can be easily bypassed makes it unnecessary as the only people who will have it on are those new to the game or those too lazy to do anything about it.

As soon as people start disabling or working around that feature, you will need to as well just so you are not at a disadvantage and at that point why even have the feature in?

forcing people to use something? sorry but no. first of all, nobody's gonna tell me what i have to do :) secondly- some people like me are using always Teamspeak insted of internal communication.

of course good idea is to create something to be able to talk to strangers (for example "dont kill, lets play together")