titsonafish

why do people like this game ?

titsonafish

I'm not trying to piss people off , i don't want to get ostracized off of this forum , i just wanna have a civil discussion .

After many hours of playing ,  the magic of the game is lost to me and i am worn out and feel like quitting it forever , but if you lot could humor me for a minute and help me see the inner beauty of this game again it would be appreciated . The game is currently the most watched game on twitch , and it's audience mostly consists of police , security guards and PMC's who were looking for something more realistic , and , as someone who works in security i also agree that guns and armor all feel realistic , but i just can't find the fun in it . Realism does not always mean fun .

Every time players say what gives them fun ,stress , challenge and reward in  the game ,  they mention the looting system , how the possibility of loosing their own loot gives them stress and challenge , and how obtaining other people's loot gives them fun and reward . Looking at things objectively and long-term , i just fail to see this . So what if i get some shiny and valuable loot and riches ? It will all get deleted come next wipe  .  I don't feel happy when getting new loot because i know in a year it won't matter. Getting the same gear every year over and over again isn't fun , it is repetitive.I don't feel stress because of the possibility that i might loose my loot and i don't feel sadness once i loose it because if i loose  everything i can always wipe my account once every 3 weeks and start again  . Of course i never even did wipe my account because i didn't have to , getting profit from matches isn't difficult , and i fail to see why people have " gear fear " . There is also no competitive ranking system so i cannot feel proud and happy of my accomplishments  .

You might say " the end does not matter , the journey matters " , well the journey itself has criticism of it's own . For starters , before you even get to the journey , you must sort out your inventory , which is just a whole lot of homework . Finite inventory in video games gives you reason to plan carefully what to do with your items , and consider carefully what to keep , and what not to keep . But it seems pointless ever since the flea market got added . Why not just sell all of your items , have the money stacks occupy only a couple of slots ,  and then purchase things as you need em . You might loose 5-10% of the items price in fees when placing them on the markest and that's about it , seems like a better option than spending 30 minutes sorting items in your stash  .

No matter how people deal with their stashes , if they sell or keep or spend their  time sorting everything to look aesthetically pleasing  , it takes a lot of time and feels unescesarry and takes too long , i just want to go play the game already . I have enjoyed difficult games like dark souls , and have enjoyed realistic games like Insurgency : Sandstorm  .  This game is challenging and realistic and i like it most of the time but the randomness takes the reward away from me . People say the game is not a battle royale but to me it is just a battle royale with extra steps , those steps being : you can spawn in with some extra loot , and you do not have to kill all other players to win . It is such a random game . Here is my experience with it  : walk around for 15 minutes , engage in a firefight , and then , either win and spend yet again another 15 minutes walking until you run into someone else  , or you lose and die , go  abck to the main menu , spend at least 10 minutes sorting inventory , and then another 3 minutes waiting for the next game to load .  The game is very fun when you walk around tho ,  the stress from never knowing what is around what corner or hill will keep you on guard , but being alone in the woods gets boring , would be nice if we had a radio or voice chat , have someone to talk to  .

I realise most of my criticism is on things that the developers did say they were going to fix or add into the game , like a voice chat or radio , and arena mode , and i have no doubt that once this game is finished it will be one of the best games out there , and i am looking forward to playing it once it is out of beta  . But right now it is not that great of a game . What do you like about the game in it's current state  ? Where do you think Insurgency:Sandstorm failed , but EFT succeded ? Why  ? Hotel ? Trivago 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

BracingMace

It is the most watched game in Twitch? For real?

This explains all the complaining casuals on the Forum lately...

Too hard...not fair etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Hot 3

Vodor

If it truely is the most watched on twitch at the moment we need to brace ourselves.

In all honesty, I find it fun because it is fairly realistic, for a game anyway. It’s also nearly the hardest thing I’ve played for a long time, one that punishes mistakes, rushed and rash decisions, and you can cause your mates to die and lose their stuff too so that adds another level to it.

Most other games will take you back to a previous checkpoint, allow quick save buttons or similar, this doesn’t.

You go into a game you have to get out, no save and exit etc.

All that aside there is also an element of accomplishment, finally unlock a trader level, or hideout feature and you can have new stuff to play with. Maybe new guns or scopes or an income of sorts too.

Its just different, fun and no micro payments!

• Like 3

Angrybiker
6 minutes ago, Vodor said:

If it truely is the most watched on twitch at the moment we need to brace ourselves.

it's been the most watched on twitch for the last 15+ hours.

65+K watching 100 kill killa quest over and over :) :) 

Edited by Angrybiker

Cloak

TLDR Version:

enjoyed realistic games like Insurgency : Sandstorm

picardfacepalm.jpg

• Like 1

SovjetBurr

It's the gambling element, im telling you. 

RainmakerM4

Realism, sound quality, gun moddeling and renders, game world, building design, attention to detail, weapon modding, team playing, gunfights, adrenaline rush, every raid is different

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hamm

I still play it cause i like how my good computer cant get the FPS it should be, the lag, the stutters, the desync, and when i read that "this bug as been fixed" yet it really hasnt. Thats why i still play, and the fact that its the only thing out there that isnt a BR. 

• Hot 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

hson
14 hours ago, titsonafish said:

it takes a lot of time and feels unescesarry and takes too long , i just want to go play the game already

Well I think that comes from your expectations of the game.

For me, the best part of the game is that you can play it anyway you like. If you wanna PvP you can do so, if you wanna loot or PvE you can do so too.
Some people wanna run fully geared all the time, some wanna run low gear all the time. The game allows you to do all of those

sYs
Posted (edited)

Cause it makes you feel.

You might feel bad.

You might feel disappointment.

but when you succeed you feel alive. 

It's the adrenaline rush. The most powerful  drug in the world generated right there in you. 

+ sweet dope animations

+ super detailed guns

+ super cool inventory system ( at least in raid ) 

+ good memories to be made with your squad or solo play if you can pull off insane plays >.< 

Edited by sYs
  • Like 2

riste2002
Posted (edited)

Gun customization, literally spent hours just looking at the attachments and modifying the lowest recoil/ highest ergo, while still looking fly af

Edited by riste2002
  • Like 1

Yeavo
Posted (edited)

There's elements of realism you can't find anywhere else that allow me to immerse into the world like no other current FPS does. I feel just like the young kid who got his little hands on the very first Rainbow Six back in the late 90s. Like the teenager that got back from the shop carrying his brand new copy of SWAT 4. The feeling I got when first time hearing that Soviet Anthem while installing the first Operation flashpoint.

There are problems and mechanics that kick you in the stomach and take you out of the immersion. I hope if we criticize and discuss these problems loudly enough BSG will take notice and provide the most immersive survival fps experience ever.

While EFT is one of kind and in my opinion the best fps game of its generation I feel it could be so much better. Being the best of the generation shouldn't be enough it should be (almost) perfect to shine a light for future generations of fps games to aspire towards! EFT has the potential to become a game to define what fps/survival games should be.

Edited by Yeavo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

StonedRaider

Its like the online roleplay magic games we played as kids (progression wise) yet with modern day landscape and more complicated than other shooters, pubg with better mechanics and no one has the same objective. Plus server locations all around the world.

spinetrain
Posted (edited)

1. Great polished animations

2. Great weapon models

3. Getting rich (addiction to money)

4. Hoarding loot (addiction to hoarding)

5. Searching killed scavs (gambling element)

6. Having a lot of spare time (camping)

Edited by spinetrain
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

keshlalish

when im alone i mostly do scav runs.

when the friends are around, oh mannnnnn then we do 4 or 5 pmc raids.
sure it's frustrating sometime. i found out that playing the highest gear is not what i like, cause i don't feel like i get my rouble's worth. i tend to stay middle of the pack, level 3-4 armor second best ammo etc.

as for the twitch views, right now at 00;52 the game has 161k
the second category is chatting at 107k views.

it's been like that for couple days and pestily got 70k viewers during that time, each streamer also raid others streamers (on twitch so the viewers are always watching a tarkov player)

sure it has some bugs, some lag etc.

BUT it's a BETA.
of course you will lose everything after each wipe and there will always be wipe.
but depending on what's your other pc games you like they all have some bad things.

in tarkov, you can be bad, the best, average
you can kill, sneak or die
you can loot you a** off or pick and choose.
play scav or pmc, pvp or more pve.

the game is not for everyone, plain and simple.
and the dev said so, the game is as it is and should not change to please the majority, they made it like they want it to be.

as for me, i played 2 days ago, we did 15 raids, and lost millions in gear but when i got out, man did i made up for the losses.
im staying between 9 and 12 millions, i got my hideout at max level and the game is what i like.
im an achievement w****, so hard-ish quest are my things, except the jagger quest, those a just dumb, imho

• Upvote 1

tra2h3r

Because it's a challenge.

It doesn't take your hand and shows you when you have to push a button in the right time. It doesn't gives you a list of tasks to be successful. And that's the point of your complaint. Don't understand me wrong i won't flame you, i can understand that this game can be frustrating, it is frustrating. And that's was makes it special.

But what i can tell you is, the difficultly decreases with every game, when you are willing to learn. Then:

When you know how to mod a weapon you don't need more than 10 Minutes for it.

And with some item knowledge is your stash clean within 5min.

1 Hour with the ballistic system and the choice of ammo is made for every time.

done.

Every thing else is up to you.

Eft is an environment of opportunities and multiple ways to do the same thing, and that's what i love at. But it requires that you know what you want.

"why do people like this game ?" is the wrong question, i recommend: Why do i play games at all?

Maybe you can make a conclusion out of it. And according to your post i usual would you recommend to quit, but the fact that you came here after quit tells another story. Try to solve the early game. The feeling of success is incomparable.

One last thing, and that's not only for you:

When a game is labeled as early access, if it this practice is good or not we can discuss in another forum, and you pay for it. Then did you have agreed whit the fact to buy a product which is not finished yet. Then please stop to complain about bugs, wait till it's finished. I cant hear it anymore. Tell it to the devs, and deal with it.

Swoosh
Posted (edited)

Maps aint that big and the spawns are stupid, you can easly wait for ppl and spawn kill them, same With exit camping, thats a easy way if u dont hate camping and wanna gear up.

Steps in the game is rly bad. so insane loud, can hear ppl so damn far away, easy win for campers.

Its a great game, but this game is most for campers, if you are a BR gamer and hate camping, this aint a game for you, its all about camping listen to sounds etc etc.

My self love games like this, where i can sneak and camp, i always camping exits and i can stay there for 15-20 min and wait, i love it and i also get rewarded for it =D

But i think ppl will understand in the end that this game gets bored if u keep dying from ppl camping exits, so how long this game will stay top on twitch well lets see xDDDD

Edited by Swoosh

t4nk83
On 12/31/2019 at 3:12 AM, titsonafish said:

I'm not trying to piss people off , i don't want to get ostracized off of this forum , i just wanna have a civil discussion .

After many hours of playing ,  the magic of the game is lost to me and i am worn out and feel like quitting it forever , but if you lot could humor me for a minute and help me see the inner beauty of this game again it would be appreciated . The game is currently the most watched game on twitch , and it's audience mostly consists of police , security guards and PMC's who were looking for something more realistic , and , as someone who works in security i also agree that guns and armor all feel realistic , but i just can't find the fun in it . Realism does not always mean fun .

Every time players say what gives them fun ,stress , challenge and reward in  the game ,  they mention the looting system , how the possibility of loosing their own loot gives them stress and challenge , and how obtaining other people's loot gives them fun and reward . Looking at things objectively and long-term , i just fail to see this . So what if i get some shiny and valuable loot and riches ? It will all get deleted come next wipe  .  I don't feel happy when getting new loot because i know in a year it won't matter. Getting the same gear every year over and over again isn't fun , it is repetitive.I don't feel stress because of the possibility that i might loose my loot and i don't feel sadness once i loose it because if i loose  everything i can always wipe my account once every 3 weeks and start again  . Of course i never even did wipe my account because i didn't have to , getting profit from matches isn't difficult , and i fail to see why people have " gear fear " . There is also no competitive ranking system so i cannot feel proud and happy of my accomplishments  .

You might say " the end does not matter , the journey matters " , well the journey itself has criticism of it's own . For starters , before you even get to the journey , you must sort out your inventory , which is just a whole lot of homework . Finite inventory in video games gives you reason to plan carefully what to do with your items , and consider carefully what to keep , and what not to keep . But it seems pointless ever since the flea market got added . Why not just sell all of your items , have the money stacks occupy only a couple of slots ,  and then purchase things as you need em . You might loose 5-10% of the items price in fees when placing them on the markest and that's about it , seems like a better option than spending 30 minutes sorting items in your stash  .

No matter how people deal with their stashes , if they sell or keep or spend their  time sorting everything to look aesthetically pleasing  , it takes a lot of time and feels unescesarry and takes too long , i just want to go play the game already . I have enjoyed difficult games like dark souls , and have enjoyed realistic games like Insurgency : Sandstorm  .  This game is challenging and realistic and i like it most of the time but the randomness takes the reward away from me . People say the game is not a battle royale but to me it is just a battle royale with extra steps , those steps being : you can spawn in with some extra loot , and you do not have to kill all other players to win . It is such a random game . Here is my experience with it  : walk around for 15 minutes , engage in a firefight , and then , either win and spend yet again another 15 minutes walking until you run into someone else  , or you lose and die , go  abck to the main menu , spend at least 10 minutes sorting inventory , and then another 3 minutes waiting for the next game to load .  The game is very fun when you walk around tho ,  the stress from never knowing what is around what corner or hill will keep you on guard , but being alone in the woods gets boring , would be nice if we had a radio or voice chat , have someone to talk to  .

I realise most of my criticism is on things that the developers did say they were going to fix or add into the game , like a voice chat or radio , and arena mode , and i have no doubt that once this game is finished it will be one of the best games out there , and i am looking forward to playing it once it is out of beta  . But right now it is not that great of a game . What do you like about the game in it's current state  ? Where do you think Insurgency:Sandstorm failed , but EFT succeded ? Why  ? Hotel ? Trivago 

You need a squad to play with. EFT Solo is freaking hardcore. EFT with 3-5 man...thats the bee's knees right there.

Hit me up if you wanna try some squaddie action, or join one of the big streamers communities and have some real fun.

Oh yeah, Run Labs...When 7 raiders flash bang you, nade bomb you and lean peek your head and kill you without mercy you tell me how this game isnt fun.

Every encounter is different, any map, any spot on a map can instantly blow up into its own little warzone, and to top it off, be in the wrong area when Scavs / Scav Bosses/ Bodyguards, and/or Raiders login and yeah..whole new element of WTF.

Barangolo

A refreshing post, these are discussions worth having. I do not have anything more to add personally to the points that have been mentioned before, but maybe my opinion on why others like the game is worth discussing. I think that asking your question on this forum will most likely not show the average reason people play this game, as the forum dwellers are the more active part of the community and they are the better players if you ask me, with the exception of newbies who visit the forum for help (and meet the toxic gitgud fanboys) or to vent their frustration. So these two extremes may not be the best portray of why most people play this game, you will get a very rosy picture, a bit like the hidden advertising that streamers are for EFT. I have been thinking about this for a while now and have approached it by looking deep into where the rabbit hole goes. It goes pretty deep and here's my take on it. There is no TL;DR version, it is a complex whole with no simple and short answers.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:12 PM, titsonafish said:

...  it's audience mostly consists of police , security guards and PMC's who were looking for something more realistic

Not sure about this. Servers (in Europe) start popping after 3 pm, not after 6 pm, more of an indication that youngsters coming home from school or higher education are in greater number than those who come home from work. I do not think that the majority of players are from the specific sectors you mention, since the number of people that work there are just a very small part of the population. Sure, not your average Fortnite kid and of an age that requires more patience than giving up the learning curve after half an hour for lack of instant gratification, but FPS's lend themselves to a young audience either way, for need of "proving" yourself against others at that age. The word "realistic" is used mostly for bragging rights of those who may be competing with friends playing games like COD, PUBG or Fortnite. Kids of friends of mine play PUBG at age 10-12, tells a lot about where shooters are at the moment. EFT just caters to a somewhat older group, but it's still an FPS.

Realism does not always mean fun

Very true. In fact, it is the opposite, most of the time. And herein lies one of the core questions: what do the devs want with this game? Looking at how lead developer Nikita talks about his vision, he does not want people to have "fun" in the traditional sense. That is why he wants to make the game as "realistic" as possible, which in many players' eyes is the "hardcore" aspect. I sense a lot of confusion surrounding this concept however with players, but even with the devs: Nikita should understand that having fun is enjoying a game in a mature way as well, meaning that the game is rewarding for your efforts, you have a sense of accomplishment, you are motivated to keep playing, it relaxes as an escape from the real world, etc. These are all definitions of "playing" and are all important. Instead, I often have the feeling that Nikita and BSG do not want this to be considered a game.. Whether their motivations are to develop the final product for the military, police or private contractors, who knows, but the decisions are all steered towards this sense of "realism" instead of the feeling that you are playing a game. No wonder that Nikita sometimes says the game is "not meant to be fun". My take on playing EFT after a few hundred hours is that it feels more like a grind, like a workplace. It has set rules of engagement and survival and if you do not follow these, you will be punished. I do not find it rewarding for the effort I put in, I do not find the journey to be one that I enjoy most of the time, mostly it is anxiety and fear for loosing what I have, for getting surprised and being unable to do anything against it, for imbalances like a team dropping on me with a predictable outcome, etc. The game is quite different to many other games I played in the sense that it deprives you of CONTROL. You are hardly in control of the outcome of your raids as the RNG factor is much bigger than in any other game (anyone who spots first can onetap easily, a lucky loot find may result in 100x higher loot value, technical issues get you killed, etc.), there are huge imbalances (teams vs solo, level 50 veteran vs level 5 noob in the same raid, eyesight vs thermal, etc.) and in that sense it is more hardcore indeed than any other game. But it also takes away the enjoyment that most other games offer you, as playing the lottery is the opposite of rewarding gameplay where your skills matter. I think that most people who keep playing it after a longer time than just during the learning phase are either in a Stockholm syndrome where they desperately look for gratification when they are punished nonstop, or they are simply in a position of superiority and are too lazy to get out of their comfort zone, like many of the people that responded to you: superiority through being teamed up, through playing a meta game that surpasses others' gameplay, through more time invested, etc. Either way, these players do not really care for rewarding gameplay, they just want to feel that they are better than others, no matter the cost. They fail to see that setting targets for yourself that you can enjoy is much more rewarding, irrespective of how others' progress.

There are some exemplary streamers out there that set a totally different standard in this and are worth checking out, I personally like Smoke and Kotton, for different reasons. Smoke is not just an outstanding shooter and tactitian, but also immerses himself in the role of the character, teams up during raids, makes use of all aspects of the game as much as he can, not caring for progression or targets that the "competition" is pursuing. He shows how you can enjoy the game to its full extent, though it is clear that he has superior CQB skills and his cautious tactics are on a different level alltogether. Kotton is almost an opposite with little caution despite excellent CQB skills, just enjoying his raids and memeing around as much as he can without taking any of it seriously, is very vocal about his disapproval to the devs' work regarding the imbalances in the game. What they both have in common is that they are not competitive in the sense of wanting to progress at all cost: they prefer to loose while having fun than in winning without fun. Most other streamers (and a vast majority of the player base) is in a frantic rush to level up the traders, to max out the Hideout, to be "better and faster" than the unseen competition. This way, they forget to enjoy a raid, which IS the game. Most players will therefore rather focus on money and loot than have a fun raid, so they can optimally take part in this ratrace that the devs developed. If you ask me, most of the hardcore playerbase plays the game for all the wrong reasons.

In addition, there are different groups within this, with different interests.

For teenagers it's bragging rights vs their peer group and lack of life experience to really feel fear of anything. They need much more thrills that at later age is avoided as you have enough challenges and stress at your workplace that you don't need more of that when you try to relax with playing a game. The younger you are, the more you consider something as a thrill, only life teaches you to avoid those thrills once you learn fear. A policeman or soldier might be an idealist until the first time he gets shot or his buddy dies. From that point the initial thrill turns to fear. Avoidance of pain is in the human nature and as we learn, we learn to avoid. Same way, gear fear in Tarkov is there in most people, but if you're young you get over it very fast or try to marginalize it by rushing towards action, which however in Tarkov is not the game to play as it leads to a premature end of raid. That's when teenagers team up to compensate and still be able to play a high speed game. Tarkov also lends itself to a lot of ways to cheese through many challenges (skills leveling is fast with the help of buddies and with some tricks), joint hunting in the safety of packs is no issue when you are much more open to other people at young age, the "meta" gameplay is disproportionately rewarding (hatchet running makes for easy money fast), so teens who have not yet learnt that hard work is much more rewarding, will make it as easy for themselves as possible, which gives them a headstart that will lead to a false sense of success. That's why gitgud fanboys are all over the forum bragging about what level they're at already and how easy this game is, because they make it easy on themselves and want to justify this by making uncalled responses wherever they can.

For the somewhat older, but still young group that just recently started working or has no family and commitments yet, it is already a more mature look at life, they want the thrills of progression and accomplishment and may not necessarily cheese their way through the process. For this group Tarkov has something unique to offer as all the other games out there are fast reward for little effort, which gets boring real fast when you start understanding that hard work has much more reward in the sense of accomplishment. I see this group as the major playerbase playing Tarkov. It is the most moldable group as well, but does not really play it for the purpose of "realism" either.

The third group I see more in the "mature" audience, those for whom work is the everyday life, have commitments like a family and kids, are more casual gamers for that reason and want to enjoy the game instead of feeling a grind. This group is in a minority and plays mostly solo, for lack of time alignment with real-life friends and for the few hours available outside of real-life commitments. This group just wants to relax with a game after a hard day at work or during some off-time from family and have fun, or the opposite if their jobs are boring and monotonous, to have some thrills. I have the feeling that this 30+ age group is in a minority and not the majority as you presume, but I have no statistics of course to prove this and BSG does not look like the company who does market research to get to know their playerbase or their target group, since they are such an authoritarian firm and do not seem to care about the longevity of their product (in a commercial sense).

There is a fourth group however, which is more than a gutfeeling I have, as it seems to be confirmed by the presence of BSG at military fairs: the non-commercial sector. This does not consist of individual players with personal needs, but corporations or military institutions like police and military departments and private contractors, with their specific expectations to the game, irrespective of the people they intend to train on them. DayZ is known for example to have been used for mil-sim purposes. It is clear that this group does not care for the "rewarding" nature that gameplay has to offer normally, nor the longevity of the game. They only care about realism, so the game can be used as a testing ground for their people. There is no other game out there that does this as well as Escape from Tarkov. It is aimed at the broadest spectrum of equipment and each is trying to behave as designated. Movement is intended to be realistic, settings are amazingly authentically portrayed, weather displayed as in real life, so basically everything is as realistic as possible. The aspects which are not, are clearly different for the simple reason that in its current state, EFT caters for a commercial audience and until it can only finance itself through sales in the commercial sector, it needs to make compromises to this quality. Most of the players who want realism at all cost are just not mature enough to realize that the game will become unplayable from that point: war is no fun. It is not only unforgiving, but it is dirty and sometimes boring as well, depending on what position you're in. Any mil-sim program can only simulate a small fraction of warfare accurately, in this case rather close-quarter infantry combat, which holds little tactics or strategy in broad lines. Firepower and position is the winning factor here and any imbalance in that has a predictable outcome. If they would have a totally realistic mil-sim program, nobody would play it anymore, because victory is based on imbalance and we all want to be on the winning side or would not take part. The game would end at the first few bullithits as you could no longer heal yourself this easily. Hunger and thirst would be out of the game, you could no longer play solo, looting would totally disappear after the first time everything is looted, there would be no Hideout for a solo player but a coop barrack with simple rules that everyone needs to follow. There would not be an economy with such abundance and variety of equipment, etc. The game would basically become unplayable due to this realism and lack of individual control over the character's development and actions, especially on the most important aspect, in-raid shootouts. 

The points you raised regarding what is motivating for players (loot, leveling, stash) are all aspects that are short- and mid-term goals that players can set themselves to work towards and which motivates them to play the game. Part of it is mentioned bragging rights among friends, part of it is people looking at their stash and Hideout like a well-tended garden and the reward for their hard work, we all have different reasons for needing a sense of accomplishment through playing. These are all balancing aspects that the devs put in to make the game playable and not to get lost in the finiteness of a realistic mil-sim. Without these carrots, the playerbase would diminish to numbers that can no longer finance development and the servers. The image that BSG builds for this game is also built on the illusion that it is a realistic game, while it is far from realistic of course and there are tons of compromises made, to make it palatable for the FPS gaming audience. Even so, you read many comments on the forum, on the FB page, on Reddit and on Twitch chat of people saying that they had no idea how difficult this game was until they bought it. BSG plays a smart game of portraying it through streamers as a fair game, through highly skilled professionals that we will never be able to even get close to, but whose skills are needed to make playing the game rewarding or without a huge dose of paranoia or anxiety. Even streamers however with very high FPS skills like Summit1G, Lirik, Dr.Disrespect are clearly struggling to make ends meet in this game, as the game needs a totally different mindset than most FPS games.

So currently BSG is making a game like any other and promote it as "realistic" for an audience that consists of different age groups from different walks of life, each having its own motivation to play the game, be it for bragging rights, for thrills, for a mental challenge, etc. It is constantly making compromises to keep the game playable, while at the same time to stick to their ideal of a realistic experience, though of course you cannot have both. So the question is: which direction will the game take on the long run? Will they strike a military/private contract that suddenly offers all the funding, but will lead to developing it in a realistic way, so the commercial sector will not longer take part due to lack of rewarding gameplay? Or will they be able to finance the commercial sector sufficiently to keep developing it for both sectors and keep some of the playerbase? Or will BSG give up on private funding in the end and make it an immersive, but fully commercial game, resulting in a much wider audience but obviously loosing some of their fanbase that wants a realistic experience? Finally, does BSG have enough competence to manage any of the scenarios that comes their way?

A lot of questions and unknowns, which all contribute to how this game will develop. A long answer to your question on whether they know what direction they are going into.

On the point you raise of no gear fear due to knowing that it will be wiped anyway: I think many will envy you for having no gear fear :DI can only speak for those whom I see playing, but have yet to see a streamer that does not have gear fear, unless he does not understand that he has it. The caution of selecting your equipment before a raid instead of going in with best of the best and spending all your money on it each time, the feeling in-raid of not rushing things as you might loose it, all contribute to this feeling and if you are devoid of it, it probably means you do not have a feeling of thrill either when you make kills or find valuable loot or try to extract. Which would make for a boring experience if you ask me. I rather have gear fear than none, because when I survive a shootout or extract with valuables, I have a feeling of accomplishment. If I do not feel anything by loosing a full loadout, what indeed would be the reason to play? Definitely not for increasing my stash size and just looking at it, if the money I make serves no purpose. So I think that if you do not find motivation to play in the current set-up, the reason may be exactly this: that you have no gear-fear. I think if you would have a sense of challenge in that you consider the loot you get through kills or finding as something worth fighting for, you would have gear fear and it will motivate every raid and have a sense of accomplishment, so you keep coming back and play the game.

Why not just sell all of your items , have the money stacks occupy only a couple of slots ,  and then purchase things as you need em .

I agree, the flea market basically breaks the purpose of much of the looting system. It does have a useful purpose however, which stems from the fact that this is a competitive game: if the open market were not there, then many of the quests and challenges and much of the Hideout would become near-impossible for most players. This game consists of casual players as well as those playing it religiously as much as they can. The latter group often plays it in teams or with a hatchet loot-runner meta that results in huge imbalance: these experienced gamers basically "suck away" loot from others, let's not even talk of those using ESP cheats or where they can distance-loot a map (yes, these cheats exist). Putting aside the times before BattleEye, when most containers were much emptier and had inferior loot, when suddenly after BE I was making big money due to the enormous increase in high value loot, fact is that the savvy players with a lot of time at their hand progress so much faster than the majority, that if the market were not there, the vast majority would struggle through the questlines before the next wipe arrives. No wonder that despite the market, the devs still enable some of these crucial items to be crafted in the Hideout, because they see how people get stuck at some level of progression due to this loot mechanic (best examples are corr. hoses, car batteries, Salewas, etc.). The two ingredients for the competitive aspect of the game and resulting need for a market are the time until the next wipe and the fact that there is no matchmaking: if there were no more wipes, everyone would be able to collect needed loot for quests and Hideout. But since there is no matchmaking, it would still mean that there would be an imbalance between the speedleveling players who get rich quick and the casuals, resulting in a huge overmight for the former. So this gap needs to be bridged somehow and by having created a market, the devs have bridged this imbalance to some extent, whether or not unwillingly, because now all players can progress by buying stuff off the market. Of course the negative consequence is that it degrades the looting system and much of the strife of finding good gear and loot in-raid or the motivation to explore areas for items. The devs would do better to implement level-based matchmaking so players could gear up and fight against others on their gear level, which would also make looting more competitive. Currently we all know that by the end of the first month into a wipe, it is suicide to go into Dorms, near KIBA or to the Health Resort as a solo player, as by that time the speedleveling players are so juiced that they pick off any casual with their top gear and ammo, without major risk due to top armour. If level-based matchmaking were a thing, those progressing slower would have equally good odds of looting good items, this would speed up progression for lower levels instead of making the rich even more rich, resulting in a huge gap within weeks. I always shake my head when I see a gifted streamer like Sacriel teaming up with highly skilled streamers and he is by now basically always using a thermal, an optic that has an enormous advantage, in other games basically equal to cheating by seeing what is not meant to be seen with plain eyes. His stash size since has increased considerably, but counting the victims of this overmight shows that such an imbalance just grows very fast and does not add to quality gameplay. Money in this game results in winning, that simple.

All in all, if you have read it this far, I hope it gives a broader picture on why people may play this game in my opinion. I think there is much wrong with this game and the most important improvement would be if the devs let go of this idealism of "realism" and make the game more rewarding to play for a broader audience. The fanboys protesting immediately that it takes away their fun are just those who either do not believe in a win-win or those who want to keep their superior position and do not want others to have fun. The devs should introduce level-based matchmaking and separate solo and team servers, whereby solo players can opt to enter a teamplayer server, so everyone's happy. Realistic items like thermals should be taken out alltogether to allow for a more balanced gameplay. Until these imbalances are not sited, the playerbase will be a toxic or disappointed bunch who does not really enjoy the game but just rushes frantically through the progression stages as if something wonderful can be expected at the end. One can fool oneself for only so long that that is enjoyable gameplay.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

ShiroTenshi

It is not the destination, it is the journey.

Some people like to be at a disadvantage. To have the odds stacked against them. As with most things, fun and the notion of a 'good time' are very very subjective and personal. That's perfectly alright.

Taking nto consideration what we have doesn't really represent the final product, and is more of a test environment rather then a game. The allure of EFT isn't in what we currently have, but on what the DEVs have said they are trying to create.  I don't think i can explain exactly what that is, as the info we have is more then i can put into a single post and dates back years.

Scolio

This game is just gambling that you can semi-control. That's why I love it. It's like a never ending loot box of "what will I earn/lose because of other players".

• Upvote 1

Macca11

The best games are always different everytime you hit play. You can have days on Tarkov where you get destroyed and then days where you survive raid after raid.

It also gives you the survival game experience in short bursts much like how LoL is popular because it sort of gives you that small hit of playing an mmo (lvling up, buying better items and gear) but then its over before it becomes too repetitive and boring to some. The key things for a Survival game to be exciting is the loot and the gunfights, and because Tarkov is played on smaller maps unlike say DayZ those things happen quicker and more often so it gets right to the good stuff.

Then you can extract put another loadout on and go again, it's all about those quick hits.

Also the care and attention to detail which shows through all the animations and the fact you can really see the Devs are committed to this project and are continuously improving it.

Edited by Macca11

Skemba
35 minutes ago, Scolio said:

This game is just gambling that you can semi-control. That's why I love it. It's like a never ending loot box of "what will I earn/lose because of other players".

Quite well said.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AdhesiveTeflon

I used to like it because it was hard with a side of realism.  Notice I didn't say it was real with a side of hard, because it's not.  Although it's more realistic than say.....Call of Duty or Battlefield.

I don't play it anymore because I got bored and pissed off with all the "fixed" bugs so towards the end it started turning into me just camping in a bush/hill/tree, taking a silenced SKS or M1A or something completely stupid like the obrez mosin and trolling other players; a headshot here and there, relocate, and do it all over again.

Sometimes you gotta make your own fun.

Edited by AdhesiveTeflon

TheHappyMile

Great gameplay, amazing maps, simply having fun walking around and knowing that there could be an enemy in front of or behind you all the time.

Like looting the airfield in DayZ, but all the time.

And yeah, the world (maps) are amazing and simply my favorit designs out of all games.