Sign in to follow this  
MrSmellybeard

Suggestion to mitigate backpack nesting

MrSmellybeard

It feels a little game breaking right now that you can store backpacks within backpacks infinitely. Not only does it diminish the importance of stash management, it also feels excessive in raids. It's a no brainer to be able to take someone else's backpack, just put all your stuff in theirs and nest. Everything else you kind of have to look at and make a judgement call on whether or not you can take it, or if there's something else you can swap it out for. The up side of backpack nesting, though, is that storing even a handful of packs without it in your stash would take up obnoxious amounts of space.

Not sure if anything like this has been put forth already, but I'd like to suggest a compromise. Add a new backpack mechanic called "stow" where you roll up the backpack, compacting it to take up way less space. When a backpack is stowed, it cannot hold any items. Disallow a backpack from being placed into another backpack unless it is stowed. Different backpacks can have a different size when stowed. When in your stash, stowing is instant, but when in a raid it should take maybe 40-60 seconds to stow a backpack and be fairly noisy.

This should allow players to still keep a stash of packs ready to take on raids fairly efficiently, but also add more depth to inventory management surrounding backpacks.

What do you guys think? :)

Edited by MrSmellybeard
  • Like 2

i0r_

No, I like nesting my backpacks! >:(

But seriously, sounds cool, but no thanks. I like it the way it is, because I have no problems what so ever with people nesting backpacks. No need to add realism to an already unrealistic inventory system like the stash. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

TheFondler

i usually don't go through the effort anymore of stowing someone else's backpack into mine, unless if it would really pay off. But same size backpacks no thanks, to much of a hassle when you find interesting lose loot. Personally i think it is fine the way it is.

sYs

We should have an option to compact a backpack ( fold it ) if it's empty that way we could store it.

As of right now backpack inside backpack - immersion breaking. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MrSmellybeard
9 hours ago, TheFondler said:

But same size backpacks no thanks, to much of a hassle when you find interesting lose loot.

You may be well outside the norm here. Of all the stuff I get back on insurance returns, rarely do I see a backpack. The reason is that it's just too easy to drag your own stuff into it, then drag the backpack into yours. You don't even have to search their backpack. It takes very little thought, time, or effort... which does seem to defeat the intent of EFT's looting system.

It certainly is more convenient to be as it is now, but it doesn't feel right for the game and, as the person above me pointed out, it is quite immersion breaking.

Reymt

I dont really see why backpack nesting is an issue? I got 7 or 8 berkut/scav packs in my inventory, otherwise I could never have more than 1.

Otherwise I dont think its too much of an issue. Backpacks arent that expensive, and ingame nesting takes time extended time for looting, which is always risky.

Wurfy

Some of those large backpacks you see have metal frames in them that keep them rigid.

But even with smaller backpacks this still wouldn't necessarily work - I have a 5.11 backpack that's basically the equivalent of MBSS in EFT and you can not fold it up in any way whatsoever. It's as big as it is. I don't know what's in there but it's rather rigid and it feels like I'd break it if I tried to fold it.

MrSmellybeard
20 hours ago, Wurfy said:

It's as big as it is. I don't know what's in there but it's rather rigid and it feels like I'd break it if I tried to fold it.

The "stow" suggestion is an attempt at compromise. I mean, your 5.11 backpack probably doesn't fit another one of the same kind inside it... and definitely not while being able to store the same capacity :)

I can see the need to want to be able to compact your backpacks for gameplay purposes, but the current system trivializes backpacks entirely.

Grimm285

They talked about getting rid of "stowing" last wipe but they got a HUGE backlash from players because of inventory.  You say it makes stash issues but MOST backpacks are there space inside and out, some you can get an extra row of space but its not game breaking by any measure. 

Also I have quite literally 100 scav sized backpacks in my stash at the moment, its not that you are not getting them back because everyone nests them, but because there are SO many new players and new players mean more scav raids too.  All of those people are the ones picking up every last scrap.  Most players have no reason to take more backpacks out

thugonomics

Of all the things that need fixing, you reckon backpack nesting should be a priority?

Lol

• Hot 1

KITTYKATJAQ

Talking about backpacks, but desync is still a thing 4 years in...

• Hot 1
  • Sad 1

syntaxxl
7 hours ago, KITTYKATJAQ said:

Talking about backpacks, but desync is still a thing 4 years in...

Desync is getting fixed along with a bunch of things. BSG already explained that they have a ~sector~ for each of those topics.

A sector takes care of network codding, another sector takes care of map making, and etc etc.
If you search about it, you will probably find it. Nice try though.

On 1/11/2020 at 2:28 AM, MrSmellybeard said:

Not sure if anything like this has been put forth already, but I'd like to suggest a compromise. Add a new backpack mechanic called "stow" where you roll up the backpack, compacting it to take up way less space.

Well, this wouldn't change anything. I don't really see a reason for this to be added in the game right now. 

Your PMC will get slower the more stuff you have in your backpack, and if he is carrying 300 stacked backpacks, it will also slow him down. Backpacks aren't that expensive to be worried about losing it anyways.

I do agree - it would be nice to have a mechanic to "stow" your backpack, but no one would use it, I'm pretty sure. People always takes guns, equipment and etc.
If they did add this stow option, the only thing that would be getting back in your insurance is your backpack, or not even that - "stow" would make it easier to carry away your stuff.

And, if they did add it for your backpack, people would want BSG to add the "stow" option to rigs, armors, etc.

KITTYKATJAQ
On 1/13/2020 at 4:50 AM, syntaxxl said:

A sector takes care of network codding, another sector takes care of map making, and etc etc.
If you search about it, you will probably find it. Nice try though.

Wasn't trying anything you Narc.

Lemurface

Something to consider: Is there a potential negative impact on (network/server) performance with nested backpacks?

It might sound innocent at face value, but a dev might want to double-check what kind of negative effects there might be, if any. I recall another game where it turned out to be a real problem.

polarticus
On 1/11/2020 at 12:21 AM, sYs said:

We should have an option to compact a backpack ( fold it ) if it's empty that way we could store it.

As of right now backpack inside backpack - immersion breaking. 

A lot of the backpacks in the game have solid frames or framestays. so folding them would be impossible. 

The trizip for example is incapable of being folded. 

Lemurface
40 minutes ago, polarticus said:

A lot of the backpacks in the game have solid frames or framestays. so folding them would be impossible. 

The trizip for example is incapable of being folded. 

Meanwhile suppressors get rid of the supersonic crack for supersonic ammo...

Edited by Lemurface

MrSmellybeard
On 1/12/2020 at 8:53 PM, thugonomics said:

Of all the things that need fixing, you reckon backpack nesting should be a priority?

We're only allowed to discuss things in priority order? ;)

On 1/13/2020 at 4:50 AM, syntaxxl said:

Well, this wouldn't change anything.

It should... instead of taking up the normal space, a backpack would be compacted into, say, a 1x2 slot, or a 1x4 slot for larger backpacks. Or something to that effect. If you remove backpack nesting, people absolutely would use it because it would be the only way to manage your stash space for stored backpacks... unless you mean people just wouldnt' bother, and would just buy a backpack on demand? I'm not a top tier player by any stretch, but it looks like a lot of us average folks do keep an inventory of backpacks. Right now it's super easy, you can have infinite amount of them in your stash, making them take up real space would make them a more meaningful mechanic.

Anyway, it's just an idea I thought of because I noticed how trivial taking a backpack in raid is, compared to every other item in the game where space matters.

1 hour ago, polarticus said:

I mean, I'm with you, but under that logic you still couldn't store a backpack inside another, soooo.... The stowing thing was a suggestion born out of compromise because it definitely would be troublesome if you couldn't compact backpacks **and** they didn't nest :)

ExeIworkz
Am 11.1.2020 um 18:21 schrieb MrSmellybeard:

You may be well outside the norm here. Of all the stuff I get back on insurance returns, rarely do I see a backpack. The reason is that it's just too easy to drag your own stuff into it, then drag the backpack into yours. You don't even have to search their backpack. It takes very little thought, time, or effort... which does seem to defeat the intent of EFT's looting system.

Oh it takes enough time. And you can't loot stuff up if you have two backpacks stuffed. I don't go through this poo, one backpack is enough. 

And your insurance Thing. I believe it's a huge difference with what you take in. Everything bigger than trizip would be looted by 100% scav and 90% Pmc. I take always berkut in and get them 80% back. 

MrSmellybeard
11 hours ago, ExeIworkz said:

Oh it takes enough time. And you can't loot stuff up if you have two backpacks stuffed. I don't go through this poo, one backpack is enough.

I'm not sure how you're doing it, but I generally find it quite easy. If your backpack is empty, just throw theirs into yours and then go hide somewhere to search it. Very little risk!

If you have loot in your backpack but not a lot, just drag stuff into theirs and then perform the above. Again, very little risk, but somewhat more than above.

If you have a lot of loot in your backpack, you can try dragging stuff in theirs or you can just search and play a bit of loot tetris, but in any case you're still most likely coming out of there with an extra backpack, even if you can't fit all their stuff. There's risk because you have to spend time on the body, but you still always get a free backpack out of the deal. The only time you don't is when it would just mess up your slots, which I find doesn't happen to me very often.

Worth pointing out that I didn't come up with this... I just thought it was common knowledge. I learned it from watching streamers, as I'm sure a lot of us did not too long ago. So anyway, regardless of whether or not this ever changes, you're welcome! Now you too can get out of raids with easy extra packs, which you can either save for future runs or sell on the market to make a bit of cash to fund future raids :)

ExeIworkz
vor 9 Minuten schrieb MrSmellybeard:

I'm not sure how you're doing it, but I generally find it quite easy. If your backpack is empty, just throw theirs into yours and then go hide somewhere to search it. Very little risk!

If you have loot in your backpack but not a lot, just drag stuff into theirs and then perform the above. Again, very little risk, but somewhat more than above.

If you have a lot of loot in your backpack, you can try dragging stuff in theirs or you can just search and play a bit of loot tetris, but in any case you're still most likely coming out of there with an extra backpack, even if you can't fit all their stuff. There's risk because you have to spend time on the body, but you still always get a free backpack out of the deal. The only time you don't is when it would just mess up your slots, which I find doesn't happen to me very often.

Worth pointing out that I didn't come up with this... I just thought it was common knowledge. I learned it from watching streamers, as I'm sure a lot of us did not too long ago. So anyway, regardless of whether or not this ever changes, you're welcome! Now you too can get out of raids with easy extra packs, which you can either save for future runs or sell on the market to make a bit of cash to fund future raids :)

You're right, but the scav or berkut are  not worth it, if you got like 70 mio... I got definitely too much backpacks already. If we talk about bigger than trizip,  I will take it... But lower, nah. 

MrSmellybeard
4 hours ago, ExeIworkz said:

You're right, but the scav or berkut are  not worth it, if you got like 70 mio... I got definitely too much backpacks already. If we talk about bigger than trizip,  I will take it... But lower, nah. 

I mean, that's your choice but even still, it's always relatively risk free. If you go in with a scav or berkut and find a player, free upgrade! You get to keep both. If you go in with something bigger... free safety net! Haha my point is that it doesn't really matter, for the amount of effort it generally costs you there's no real reason **not** to pick up a back pack right now.

That's something that maybe needs a change some time down the road.

Wurfy
On 1/12/2020 at 8:53 PM, MrSmellybeard said:

The "stow" suggestion is an attempt at compromise. I mean, your 5.11 backpack probably doesn't fit another one of the same kind inside it... and definitely not while being able to store the same capacity :)

I can see the need to want to be able to compact your backpacks for gameplay purposes, but the current system trivializes backpacks entirely.

And why doesn't it fit?

Because it's smaller on the inside than outside. Aka the realistic solution would be to make backpacks bigger than their capacity.

GrizzlerFace

No, it's fun leave nesting alone.

Xarc

@MrSmellybeard I'm OK with the nesting in the stash but I'm also disagree with nesting in raids.