Sign in to follow this  
ShadowGor

Dev & Community reaction to Sci-Fi?

ShadowGor

I've played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for a really long time. And its the main reason why im into these types of games. Is there an established disdain for sci-fi inclusion around these parts?

It would be really cool if there was like.. a STALKER map for us to play with. Really big size, Scavs that have bases and do mundane things, patrolling mutated dogs, pigs and zombos, randomly placed toxin and radioactive hazards that change places every session, random chance of large ion storms rolling through the map, 2 hr long match times with multiple extractions, some of them requiring you to complete tasks or quests in the map, maybe some more game features that provoke organic team-ups, rather than just relying on LFG. (the possibility of making friends with a Scav player as a PMC to extract on Reserve is really freaking cool) 

A scav can dream I suppose. 

p4nnus
17 hours ago, ShadowGor said:

I've played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for a really long time. And its the main reason why im into these types of games. Is there an established disdain for sci-fi inclusion around these parts?

It would be really cool if there was like.. a STALKER map for us to play with. Really big size, Scavs that have bases and do mundane things, patrolling mutated dogs, pigs and zombos, randomly placed toxin and radioactive hazards that change places every session, random chance of large ion storms rolling through the map, 2 hr long match times with multiple extractions, some of them requiring you to complete tasks or quests in the map, maybe some more game features that provoke organic team-ups, rather than just relying on LFG. (the possibility of making friends with a Scav player as a PMC to extract on Reserve is really freaking cool) 

A scav can dream I suppose. 

Tarkov lore is different from Stalker lore. There is a Stalker dev or few in BSG AFAIK, but they are not making a Stalker game, this is different. As much as I would love what you suggest, as a big Stalker fan, Im afraid thats not gonna happen. 

EFT is going for realistic combat in a believable proxy war scenario, thus there wont be any mutants or zombos. Theres been talk of DLC that has radioactive zones, maybe even other CBRN threats like chemical weapons, but nothing unrealistic like anomalies or monsters.

ShadowGor

Well that's understandable. But what about the other ideas? 

I think the idea of having a big map, with AI that maintain bases and routines, with miniature missions to complete inside of them would help give Tarkov much needed physical context. Like turning on a dam in order to escape through a boat, or returning power to a grid to unlock the doors with the loot. Taking out a Boss in the map to turn their gun into one of the Scavs in a base on the other side of the map. Making a mad dash for an antique set of vases and bronze lions in a fancy deserted house, but the items themselves can be destroyed if players start throwing grenades near the loot boxes. Or even if they're on their person, forcing other players to go for head shots or risk damaging the goods on their would-be-target. 

I feel like there needs to be more things to do in the game session besides pvp and loot, to give more context to the world, through action and gameplay, not just by telling through text. I feel the most immersed when i'm playing a Scav and trying to squeak by. I feel immersed because I can interact with the NPCs in SOME way that actually makes me feel like I belong in the world. The random generation of the Scavs loadout each time gives visual reinforcement of the scattered remnants of the world. It feels better to play a Scav imo. Being able to join a session 30 mins in and wander around for the secret loot, while everyone's off shooting each other.

I'm not sure if im executing my idea well enough for others to pick up on. 

Tl:DR - Shooty shooty bang bang is good and all, but can we haz more multi-layered engaging gameplay mechanics, by which to ENCOMPASS the shooty shooty bang bang? 

Lemurface

I'm a huge Stalker fan. I've even bought stuff from their official online store and worn it until it's literally falling apart and now I'm just storing them. Can't wait for Stalker 2 finally.

But, everything I know about EFT so far points to it not being open to most Stalker mechanics. For example, mutants and zombified Scavs wouldn't be a thing. I'm not sure the devs would want to implement even animal AI in general.

Radiation, maybe. Artifacts, maybe-kinda-but-not-really. Not the kind we found in Stalker anyway, but maybe some abandoned/contaminated version of The Lab with some fancier sciency items/samples could be possible within the setting, especially later if the open-world content comes out.

Edited by Lemurface

p4nnus
On 1/15/2020 at 6:35 AM, ShadowGor said:

Well that's understandable. But what about the other ideas? 

I think the idea of having a big map, with AI that maintain bases and routines, with miniature missions to complete inside of them would help give Tarkov much needed physical context. Like turning on a dam in order to escape through a boat, or returning power to a grid to unlock the doors with the loot. Taking out a Boss in the map to turn their gun into one of the Scavs in a base on the other side of the map. Making a mad dash for an antique set of vases and bronze lions in a fancy deserted house, but the items themselves can be destroyed if players start throwing grenades near the loot boxes. Or even if they're on their person, forcing other players to go for head shots or risk damaging the goods on their would-be-target. 

I feel like there needs to be more things to do in the game session besides pvp and loot, to give more context to the world, through action and gameplay, not just by telling through text. I feel the most immersed when i'm playing a Scav and trying to squeak by. I feel immersed because I can interact with the NPCs in SOME way that actually makes me feel like I belong in the world. The random generation of the Scavs loadout each time gives visual reinforcement of the scattered remnants of the world. It feels better to play a Scav imo. Being able to join a session 30 mins in and wander around for the secret loot, while everyone's off shooting each other.

I'm not sure if im executing my idea well enough for others to pick up on. 

Tl:DR - Shooty shooty bang bang is good and all, but can we haz more multi-layered engaging gameplay mechanics, by which to ENCOMPASS the shooty shooty bang bang? 

Daily, weekly and monthly missions are coming in some form at some point. Also, events like item shortages are planned. There will also be an open-world map with no raid timer and it will connect all the raids and the hideout & traders. Theres gonna be scavs too, but what you suggest with the complex bases etc might be too much. BSG has confirmed that in the raids they cant add much more scavs than ATM as it will get too heavy to work properly. I think it was the netcode that prevents it, but I might remember wrong. Thats why a huge number of scavs in any map is pretty much off limits at least for now. Probably in the future too, if I understand correctly how big bases you want.

Also, theres a story mode in the works. It will require you to survive all the raids and you will unlock the maps as you do so if Ive understood correctly. But yeah, EFT wont be just PVP and looting in the release ready edition, there will be more to do.