Is there too much realism? Where do we draw the line?

PardTheTroll

PardTheTroll

Before  judging by the title, please hear me out!

It is an ongoing discussion about how hardcore/realistic Escape from Tarkov should be. BSG has their own plans/vision for that, which they either do not want to share completely or did not think/plan ahead too much. But this topic is not about discussing what BSG will do in the end but rather what would be too much in your opinion? What would still be considered playable and/or reasonable?

To give you some context:

Many of the first people ever pre-ordering this game (me included) did it because of the promised realism, immersion, high level of detail and love/passion for the project. Also for me because it reminds me so much of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. Yes, even the many bugs/problems it had. 😅
In many instances we do not get or do not have the promised realism/immersion yet. Best example would be the over tuned helmets and missing armor zones/plates. As said by BSG, helmets are this way, because they would not get bought otherwise. Makes sense, as every shooter has a very distinct head shot "meta". Be it because of it being too easy to land head shots or because people are "bullet sponges" thanks to armor covering every nook and cranny of the body. Then there are things like missing (or hardly reduced) blunt damage, painkiller side effects, state of unconsciousness, etc. etc. 
One of the biggest topics the last few month, if not even forever, is unrealistic movement. Weight, volume and distribution of gear has no effect on the PMC besides increased stamina use while sprinting. People jumping from buildings, running on thin fences, running with broken legs etc. etc.

The list is long but what do you think? Which features would be too much? Is it a combination of many or is it a single one which could "ruin" everything?

The only thing which I am personally not sure about are blacked limbs to be honest. On the one hand, I think it should have way more downsides or be deadlier having blacked out limbs as right now, thanks to painkillers, it is like we do not have blacked out limbs to begin with. Everyone pops a pill and continues with 100% functionality, besides the little damage ticks while running. Aiming becomes quite impaired. Many will agree though, that using a rifle effectively would be impossible with just one hand. But on the other hand, if you would go full realism it could become worse than when we had the true leg meta. Especially considering server/netcode performance and our lovely Scavs. For me there is rarely a raid, where I do not lose a limb or two. Be it because scavs decided to roll their dice that way, cover did not work or because my arms are always in front of me. 

tl;dr

Because of the inconsistency in terms of game and netcode performance I think too heavy penalties for blacked out limbs would make Tarkov unplayable (maybe).