ReptarDragon

stuck at 30-40 fps with "powerful pc"

ReptarDragon

ok i have tried many things to fix my fps, and the thing thats confusing me the most is that i can drop the settings all the way down to low or all the way up to ultra and the FPS sticks around 30-40 give or take 5 FPS, i have seen many forums where people say they have less powerful pcs and get 60-70 fps. i have tried with v-sync and without, with z-blur on and off, and many more tweaks to see no improvement, maybe 3-5 fps improvement at most. tried everything and cant figure it out plz help if you have secret techniques or suggestions. Thank You ❤️

my specs are

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx 32 core processor

GPU: Geforce 2018 ti

Ram: 63.88 GB

pyrrhonist

EFT is know to loose 5-10% FPS when EFT process is assigned non-physical CPUs (hyperthreading) so make sure use physical cores is checked in EFT in-game settings.

In additiona to that based on my testing EFT seems to loose 5-15% FPS if affinity is set to cores across multiple CCXes (which is a default behaviour) on AMD Ryzen CPUs due to increased latency. For example on 8core 16thread AMD Ryzen processor best FPS is achieved by setting EFT process affinity to first (or last) 4 physical cores (from a single CCX) as 8 core AMD Ryzen processors have 2 CCX with 4 cores each.

Making sure only physical cores and only cores from a single CCX are used for EFT provided 10-20% FPS boost in CPU limited situations on my AMD Ryzen 3rd gen CPU.

You have a AMD Threadripper CPU which in addition to above also suffers from increased latency for dies that are further from DDR and PCIE lanes. This probably has additional performance penalty in EFT. Therefore you should try to set affinity for the physical cores from a single CCX (your CPU has 8 CCXes with 4cores each) that are closest to the memory controller on your CPU.

2990WX topology:
https://www.servethehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2990WX-topology.jpg
https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=42925

After figuring out on which cores you need to set the affinity you can create a script for changing affinity or just use Process Lasso.

Edited by pyrrhonist
  • Upvote 1

ReptarDragon

wow i really appreciate your in depth explanation. i have made sure the use physical cores is check in the setting, i have also "disables the threadripping" as i saw in another post it helped someones fps problem.

i am very new to PC gaming so a lot of what u explained above is a foreign  concept to me but i will do my best to research and understand what you have told me.

you have already done alot in explaining it but if theres anyway you can give me a step by step it would be appreciated, as i do not understand how to set what cores my EFT uses and if disabling threadripping would affect the process you stated above.

P.S. sorry for getting back to this late

Vodor
On 1/20/2020 at 12:15 AM, pyrrhonist said:

Everything this person wrote

That's some sheeet hot advice, EFT community needs more people like you. 

Everyday is a school day!

ReptarDragon

yes he is a genius and i appreciate the help very much, i am new to PC gaming and with what he told me i was able to educate myself a bit and preform the actions he recommended and it doubled my FPS. i was at 30-40 now im at a consisted 60+, thank you very much pyrr you are a life saver. :)

NicholasTP

Hello there,  im new as well to pc gaming and troubleshooting so can you share the step by step instructions ?

To be more specific i cant understand witch core i have to set the affinity.

my processor is the 2970wx so we should have the same(ish) specs i guess.

Best regards

NTP  

intel352
On 1/19/2020 at 4:34 PM, ReptarDragon said:

ok i have tried many things to fix my fps, and the thing thats confusing me the most is that i can drop the settings all the way down to low or all the way up to ultra and the FPS sticks around 30-40 give or take 5 FPS, i have seen many forums where people say they have less powerful pcs and get 60-70 fps. i have tried with v-sync and without, with z-blur on and off, and many more tweaks to see no improvement, maybe 3-5 fps improvement at most. tried everything and cant figure it out plz help if you have secret techniques or suggestions. Thank You ❤️

my specs are

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx 32 core processor

GPU: Geforce 2018 ti

Ram: 63.88 GB

Dunno if you fixed this yet, but I have a threadripper also, and on a reinstall of Windows was experiencing ~30fps regardless of what I did.
Hopefully my post helps you: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/gt7x38/low_fps_ensure_chipset_drivers_are_installed/