Jump to content
sudoWiz

Linux support!

Recommended Posts

sudoWiz

There is a growing community of Linux gamers out there (including myself) that were very sad to see BattleEye integrated into the game, as it means we can no longer play online.

Running the game on Linux could offer benefits such as better hardware utilization, system stability, and since linux is full of developers and people who enjoy tinkering, they would provide much more detailed bug reports and offer solutions to other members of the community.

Large games like EfT could seriously shift the tide toward Linux becoming a mainstream gaming platform. This game is one of the only remaining programs that does not work on linux in my daily use. I desperately want to be able to play this game on Linux, and I know that many other Linux gamers out there would flock to this game if it was natively supported.

Is there any plan for true Linux support? If not, why not? It should seriously be considered from more than just a short term financial standpoint, it could lead to even greater long term success for the game than it is already destined for. Linux users are very loyal when they are treated well, and they (and I) will play for years to come.

Thank you for reading, please consider including us.

  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coruscate

Yeah I wish they would make the first big step to support it as a multiplayer AAA title. the game looks bonkers and I would have already jumped on in if it would be possible to play.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
krablord

I sign under everything you said there. Please help us Linux users play this game. People keep cheating with battleye even more nowadays. But Linux players are prohibited to play game - that's really unfair, and uncalled for. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daniel0056

Agreed. I'm a Linux user and play a lot of titles via proton or natively, 3-6 hours a day. Would love to be able to play EFT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raklodder

I would also be in favor of full or partial Linux support with noninvasive anti-cheat/drm, as I won't touch Windows again and I'd be happy to help you test anything, if that means a quicker solution to our common problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daniel0056
Posted (edited)

Especially now with BattleEye supporting Linux, there is no point in not releasing the game for the Linux community.

Edited by daniel0056

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coruscate
On 3/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, daniel0056 said:

Especially now with BattleEye supporting Linux, there is no point in not releasing the game for the Linux community.

Yes, Yes, yes. now that is a good step in the right direction, currently using Windows just for EFT is a bit of a hassle, even more so that there seems to be issues arising each week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
symbiote
On 1/23/2020 at 8:41 PM, sudoWiz said:

There is a growing community of Linux gamers out there (including myself) that were very sad to see BattleEye integrated into the game, as it means we can no longer play online.

Running the game on Linux could offer benefits such as better hardware utilization, system stability, and since linux is full of developers and people who enjoy tinkering, they would provide much more detailed bug reports and offer solutions to other members of the community.

Large games like EfT could seriously shift the tide toward Linux becoming a mainstream gaming platform. This game is one of the only remaining programs that does not work on linux in my daily use. I desperately want to be able to play this game on Linux, and I know that many other Linux gamers out there would flock to this game if it was natively supported.

Is there any plan for true Linux support? If not, why not? It should seriously be considered from more than just a short term financial standpoint, it could lead to even greater long term success for the game than it is already destined for. Linux users are very loyal when they are treated well, and they (and I) will play for years to come.

Thank you for reading, please consider including us.

Before battle eye you also couldn't run, because there were custom anti-cheat protection. Also, problems with launcher...

And most important you are duplicating topic. There is a huge topic here on this topic.

Why? Because it is time-consuming to support extra OS. WIndows are windows....but with linux, you get so many distributions.

I really wish to see some good games in linux too, but unfortunately there is a reality. Sure as you say "there is growing community of linux gamers" so what? On linux you don't have games to play...lol :D and if you can like 95% of them are lame anyways.

Sure it would be way better to play any game on linux regarding hardware utilization, specially huge amount of free ram :) .

So you could ask any big game developer why their games are not on linux.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flan-flan
On 3/25/2020 at 1:37 AM, symbiote said:

Before battle eye you also couldn't run, because there were custom anti-cheat protection. Also, problems with launcher...

And most important you are duplicating topic. There is a huge topic here on this topic.

Why? Because it is time-consuming to support extra OS. WIndows are windows....but with linux, you get so many distributions.

I really wish to see some good games in linux too, but unfortunately there is a reality. Sure as you say "there is growing community of linux gamers" so what? On linux you don't have games to play...lol :D and if you can like 95% of them are lame anyways.

Sure it would be way better to play any game on linux regarding hardware utilization, specially huge amount of free ram :) .

So you could ask any big game developer why their games are not on linux.

 

To state that 'on Linux you don't have games to play' would suggest you aren't as familiar with the operating system as you think.

With Valve's public releases of Steamplay and Proton, coupled with other platforms such as Lutris or Playonlinux, gaming on Linux is actually pretty viable on most of the big name distros such as Arch, Ubuntu and its derivatives, and others. DXVK and other tools have been invented which allow Linux to accurately run games otherwise built for Windows, including Unity games such as Tarkov. Among the only remaining issues are invasive anti-cheat software such as Battleye and EasyAntiCheat that often have Linux versions, but aren't officially supported by developers who haven't released Linux versions of the games the anti-cheat is for.

An example could be Rust by Facepunch, a team that discontinued Linux support as they had no Linux users in-house to test the game they were developing on the operating system they intended to release for.

For evidence that 'Linux gaming' is increasingly a viable alternative to Windows, you can check sources such as ProtonDB.

https://www.protondb.com/

I should also add on top of this that the question of Tarkov's port to Linux isn't a question of 'yes' or 'no' but rather 'when' as it has been confirmed to be 'planned' by the developers themselves, as per this clip from the official Twitch stream.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrowdedClearMarrowEleGiggle 

In conclusion, this thread is perhaps a big waste of time and may actually end up locked as we have at least two other threads out there on the same subject, but I hope everyone reading this has learned something today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
symbiote
2 hours ago, flan-flan said:

To state that 'on Linux you don't have games to play' would suggest you aren't as familiar with the operating system as you think.

With Valve's public releases of Steamplay and Proton, coupled with other platforms such as Lutris or Playonlinux, gaming on Linux is actually pretty viable on most of the big name distros such as Arch, Ubuntu and its derivatives, and others. DXVK and other tools have been invented which allow Linux to accurately run games otherwise built for Windows, including Unity games such as Tarkov. Among the only remaining issues are invasive anti-cheat software such as Battleye and EasyAntiCheat that often have Linux versions, but aren't officially supported by developers who haven't released Linux versions of the games the anti-cheat is for.

An example could be Rust by Facepunch, a team that discontinued Linux support as they had no Linux users in-house to test the game they were developing on the operating system they intended to release for.

For evidence that 'Linux gaming' is increasingly a viable alternative to Windows, you can check sources such as ProtonDB.

https://www.protondb.com/

I should also add on top of this that the question of Tarkov's port to Linux isn't a question of 'yes' or 'no' but rather 'when' as it has been confirmed to be 'planned' by the developers themselves, as per this clip from the official Twitch stream.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CrowdedClearMarrowEleGiggle 

In conclusion, this thread is perhaps a big waste of time and may actually end up locked as we have at least two other threads out there on the same subject, but I hope everyone reading this has learned something today.

Yes I know these things, I used(and using for work) arch/debian/fedora, and it is pain in the ass :) lot of troubleshooting, well at least the games I tried. Also, it is pain in the ass to even install GPU drivers on laptop (for example on Debian systems)  :). Well my point still stands, sure there are games :D  but none of these I would play  :D.  Well be honest here, do not glorify some system. There are always something to troubleshoot, or wait till someone fixed the problem.

Unity. Even Tarkov is on unity, and theoretically there would be no problem to port it to linux, but there would be :D. And also as you mentioned to support another OS (and main original point). This game is still so unstable, even on Windows there are a lot of things to fix. Maybe after a release it would be possible to consider.

Anti-cheat. No it is not invasive, it is just built on windows OS and that would be one of a problem, if battle-eye one day releases Unix version than after that it would be even possible to discuss such matter. And another thing is launcher, which is the smallest thing, but still it is written on windows forms.

Yes it is a waste of time. I  agree.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
Posted (edited)

The topic is indeed kinda duplicated with our long-standing discussion in Linux support? thread.

And stating what @symbiote said:

The game was playable with Wine for a long time since alpha, there was at least a few of us playing it until it got BattlEye and even later, although with BE you could only access offline raids, stash and trading/menus. ;) The previous anticheat was no problem, and Hired Ops still works on Proton.

 The launcher initially was a minor problem, it used WPF which were unsupported in Mono, though that could be fixed by installing quirky .NET versions (though Lutris script helped with that later on), however WPF and Window Forms was since open sourced by Microsoft, so even here things has changed.

As far as gaming on Linux a lot has changed recently as stated above. ;) DXVK is so popular and performant due to Vulkan nowadays, that I often see peole on Windows using it. :D You also don't have to target specified distributions generally, so it's no worse than supporting different Windows versions.

Either way, I'd love the game to see a proper Vulkan render eventually, which should help with performance even on Windows. If not, there's even a a way to implement DX11 to Vulkan for native Linux apps being worked on though no idea how that applies to Unity and that's something that's best to be avoided.

Either way, I'm still waiting patiently, though hopefully we'll see a native Linux EfT version before EAC and BattlEye get supported in Wine, as I'd love to see that. :)

P.S. And BattlEye is available to Linux natively, games like 7 Days to Die or Unturned also use Unity with BattlEye just fine and I mentioned that Unturned even used the same Unity version as EfT last time I checked :D

Edited by Faalagorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hashsploit

+1 for Linux support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jd823592
On 4/7/2020 at 12:10 AM, Faalagorn said:

The topic is indeed kinda duplicated with our long-standing discussion in Linux support? thread.

I am sorry to inform you that you are mistaken, sir! That was Linux support? this is Linux support! a completely different thing!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
5 hours ago, jd823592 said:

I am sorry to inform you that you are mistaken, sir! That was Linux support? this is Linux support! a completely different thing!

 

That escalated quickly! 🐧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thermionix

+1 for Linux support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Veqetazxy

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scomage

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SATHIEL

+1, I know you guys have a lot to work on still, but Linux support is worth taking into consideration in future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AWildRasta

Would love to see Linux support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Misirlou

Yes please! Last thing keeping me on Windows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thermionix

Will buy EoD edition as soon as Linux support is released

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
On 6/8/2020 at 4:35 AM, Thermionix said:

Will buy EoD edition as soon as Linux support is released

So there's two of us :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
a_b_
On 6/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, Thermionix said:

Will buy EoD edition as soon as Linux support is released

Three!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chronic414
Posted (edited)

+1 for Linux support.

 

Am 26.3.2020 um 14:59 schrieb symbiote:

Yes I know these things, I used(and using for work) arch/debian/fedora, and it is pain in the ass :) lot of troubleshooting, well at least the games I tried. Also, it is pain in the ass to even install GPU drivers on laptop (for example on Debian systems)  :). Well my point still stands, sure there are games :D  but none of these I would play  :D

This is just wrong.

 

I installed Linux Manjaro on my 5 year old PC and all of my AAA Games that I tried run without a problem through Steam or Lutris. And often the games run faster than on Windows. The problems come only with Battleye or EAC.

There are no issues with GPU driver installations. On Manjaro you get the newest version the day it get released through the Linux package manager. If you want the newest GPU driver on Windows you have to go to the website, download the driver and install it manually or you have an extra updater running, which is kind of tinkering.

Maybe you should try a distribution built for Multimedia and Gaming like Manjaro. I suggest Manjaro because it is in my eyes the most userfriendly system espacially for users who came from Windows.

Edited by chronic414
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daniel0056
On 3/26/2020 at 2:59 PM, symbiote said:

Yes I know these things, I used(and using for work) arch/debian/fedora, and it is pain in the ass :) lot of troubleshooting, well at least the games I tried. Also, it is pain in the ass to even install GPU drivers on laptop (for example on Debian systems)  :). Well my point still stands, sure there are games :D  but none of these I would play  :D.  Well be honest here, do not glorify some system. There are always something to troubleshoot, or wait till someone fixed the problem.

Unity. Even Tarkov is on unity, and theoretically there would be no problem to port it to linux, but there would be :D. And also as you mentioned to support another OS (and main original point). This game is still so unstable, even on Windows there are a lot of things to fix. Maybe after a release it would be possible to consider.

Anti-cheat. No it is not invasive, it is just built on windows OS and that would be one of a problem, if battle-eye one day releases Unix version than after that it would be even possible to discuss such matter. And another thing is launcher, which is the smallest thing, but still it is written on windows forms.

Yes it is a waste of time. I  agree.

1. Battle-Eye does support Linux.

2. Dists based on Ubuntu or Debian (stage) have better driver support out of the box for most hardware, except for GeForce drivers which on the other hand is already provided by Nvidia although proprietary. In later days you even have most WiFi drivers which has been the major set back when using modern laptops. Not anymore though.

3. Instead of counting games that does work, today it's easier to count the games that don't - due to Proton provided and shipped with Steam. There is also Lotris which uses hooks and scripts to fix most broken games, all provided by the open community.

4. You don't have to port Unity since it is already compatible with Vulkan.

5. Linux platform allows a much broader player base to play games, since the OS is much less performance dependent. Linux also have a much better management of game "windows" - which Windows and DirectX is struggling with since the 90's.

6. Your "there is always something to trouble shoot" statement is simply wrong. It's just an indicator that you don't know that system. As with Windows a new user will always have issues. I recently had to work with Mac, that is supposed to "just work" - and that was my worst experience with a computer ever. Just because I don't know their OS.

I actually suggest you give Ubuntu 20.04 a try, since it's a much more pleasant experience compared to Windows. From better performance in games to a much better and uniformed graphical interface. Windows is still struggling and dragging on mixed UI, where it want to be modern with Windows 10 window manager, but 70% is still using Windows 98 UI (not joking). Windows today is extremely inconsistent, and on top of that Windows Update forces software on you that you don't even realize you should uninstall (e.g Xbox Engine, Store, OneDrive, Skype, Weather, Default Games, various manufacturer control panels, a few services etc - all of which can only be removed by PowerShell if you have Pro, doesn't work in Home). When performing a clean installation of Windows 10 you basically need to spend about 30 minutes cleaning stuff up, unless you have a PowerShell script like me (yes, I use Windows too since my work requires it).

Also, with Linux you pretty much never have to worry about getting viruses or spyware unless you grant super privileges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2