Linux support!

sudoWiz

On 6/14/2020 at 3:29 PM, daniel0056 said:

1. Battle-Eye does support Linux.

2. Dists based on Ubuntu or Debian (stage) have better driver support out of the box for most hardware, except for GeForce drivers which on the other hand is already provided by Nvidia although proprietary. In later days you even have most WiFi drivers which has been the major set back when using modern laptops. Not anymore though.

3. Instead of counting games that does work, today it's easier to count the games that don't - due to Proton provided and shipped with Steam. There is also Lotris which uses hooks and scripts to fix most broken games, all provided by the open community.

4. You don't have to port Unity since it is already compatible with Vulkan.

5. Linux platform allows a much broader player base to play games, since the OS is much less performance dependent. Linux also have a much better management of game "windows" - which Windows and DirectX is struggling with since the 90's.

6. Your "there is always something to trouble shoot" statement is simply wrong. It's just an indicator that you don't know that system. As with Windows a new user will always have issues. I recently had to work with Mac, that is supposed to "just work" - and that was my worst experience with a computer ever. Just because I don't know their OS.

I actually suggest you give Ubuntu 20.04 a try, since it's a much more pleasant experience compared to Windows. From better performance in games to a much better and uniformed graphical interface. Windows is still struggling and dragging on mixed UI, where it want to be modern with Windows 10 window manager, but 70% is still using Windows 98 UI (not joking). Windows today is extremely inconsistent, and on top of that Windows Update forces software on you that you don't even realize you should uninstall (e.g Xbox Engine, Store, OneDrive, Skype, Weather, Default Games, various manufacturer control panels, a few services etc - all of which can only be removed by PowerShell if you have Pro, doesn't work in Home). When performing a clean installation of Windows 10 you basically need to spend about 30 minutes cleaning stuff up, unless you have a PowerShell script like me (yes, I use Windows too since my work requires it).

Also, with Linux you pretty much never have to worry about getting viruses or spyware unless you grant super privileges.

cool, so are you saying that now we can play on linux without any trouble? i have windows 10 and it sucks, especially now that i also have a radeon vega 64, my game isnt much of a consistent in terms of fps and i want to try something more optimized

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 7:14 PM, Mendhi said:

cool, so are you saying that now we can play on linux without any trouble? i have windows 10 and it sucks, especially now that i also have a radeon vega 64, my game isnt much of a consistent in terms of fps and i want to try something more optimized

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EGK6C7Ippz4gPWXvNJAPPTEA1dECw4PzoIcuW_pC2ek/preview

this made a massive difference for me, maybe worth a shot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for Linux support. I would love to play again, but I'm not going to go back to the busted backwardness of Windows just for Tarkov. If you guys add Linux support though, I'll play the crap out of this again. 

• Like 2

I want linux support as much as anyone else posting in this thread, but I’ve instead been using VFIO setup with an arch linux host. But even this doesn’t work because battleye is now immediately kicking me from every match. I don’t want to run Windows as the host; it’s a waste of the resources I have on this system. I built it specifically for running multiple virtual machines, multiple GPUs.

Edited by s00pcan
  • Like 2

Since I own EFT (2019) I'm using a VFIO setup. Everything was running smooth, but now BE flagged me as a cheater.
I will definitely not install Windows. Then I guess that's it with EFT for me... Sad story :(

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 3:24 AM, k-spit1991 said:

Since I own EFT (2019) I'm using a VFIO setup. Everything was running smooth, but now BE flagged me as a cheater.
I will definitely not install Windows. Then I guess that's it with EFT for me... Sad story :(

Same Story Bro..

• 2 weeks later...

+1. I've been interested in Tarkov in passing for a while but only recently has it gotten my attention, and I abandoned Windows last year (outside of VR) because of all the bullshit it puts me through. Not to mention that I've noticed a slowly growing trend of people wanting to use Linux ever since I switched.

• 4 weeks later...

If there is no time from main developers enough to work on getting this Linux support out. It would be nice to have some public/open GIT project for it that would be maintained by main developers. Ofcourse I understand if there is some kind of problems with company's super special secret stuff at code then  that might be little bit tricky one :/ 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Linux support is not ruled out, however at this point unlikely.

I believe you can use Proton and Lutris with PlayOnLinux today to get it to work. Please understand though that this is not a supported way of playing the game. There will be issues.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:51 PM, tobiassolem said:

Linux support is not ruled out, however at this point unlikely.

I believe you can use Proton and Lutris with PlayOnLinux today to get it to work. Please understand though that this is not a supported way of playing the game. There will be issues.

You currently can't, because you can't get BattlEye to run currently under Wine (and Proton which uses modified Wine as a base). It is possible and there was some work done for EAC and some words said by Valve so it'll probably come eventually, but currently all kernel anti cheats are not yet implemented in Wine.

BattlEye is supported on Linux natively and so is Unity, but the game doesn't have Vulkan render enabled to play it even if you replaced the files with Linux equivalents.

@tobiassolem what always get me curious, before the alpha, Mac was being advertised as eventually coming, is it still the case, especially as they venture into ARM and deprecate OpenGL?

Also, any word on whether Steam is still planned? While it doesn't count for official work, Valve try hard to make new games running properly which resulted e.g. in Cyberpunk 2077 being supported on Day 0. I remember reading you working closely with Valve about Steam Audio, so it's a start of cooperation and you are already using cross-platform engine and anticheat.

@Faalagorn

Ahh, understood.

Everything concerning the future (Linux adaptations, MAC OSX, etc. etc.) are considered, and the latest information is that a Steam release is planned after the game is finished. But when it comes to ports to different platforms (Nikita has mentioned a console port also for example) the current situation (at this point) is that the devs are focused on finishing the game for Windows. As you mentioned, Unity has strong portability, so it is certainly not impossible. But as I said, at this point (in the near future) it is unlikely. If anything, we will know more after the game has been finalized.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, tobiassolem said:

@Faalagorn

Ahh, understood.

Everything concerning the future (Linux adaptations, MAC OSX, etc. etc.) are considered, and the latest information is that a Steam release is planned after the game is finished. But when it comes to ports to different platforms (Nikita has mentioned a console port also for example) the current situation (at this point) is that the devs are focused on finishing the game for Windows. As you mentioned, Unity has strong portability, so it is certainly not impossible. But as I said, at this point (in the near future) it is unlikely. If anything, we will know more after the game has been finalized.

Hey @tobiassolem

I am here after approximately a year I found this game. I run exclusively linux so I put this game aside. Today I thought, I could check if anything changed and I am glad I know something more now than "it is planned" from the twitch clip.

I understand that devs want to finish this game before porting it as it's more work to do.

Can I ask you how long it will take for the full release?

And if it's more than a few months (which it is isn't it) can I play the offline raids or whatever without BattleEye through wine and Lutris?

and last question, will it be possible to connect this account with steam after release, so I can buy it now and than play it though steam?

Thank you

and +1 for Linux

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

please make this happen, it would be like the greatest thing that has happened in the two years, apart from getting a cat. that was also awesome