Linux support!

sudoWiz

5 minutes ago, shecel said:

I'm in the transition from Windows to linux and would love to continue playing, as it is my most played game.

Just use the dual-boot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've gave a laptop that could not load into windows a second life when I was traveling back in the days, and ever since I've been wanting to completely switch my main PC to linux but always held off, mostly for gaming reasons. 

If tarkov gets on linux, I might just do that.

+1 for Linux support!

EFT is the one and only reason I touched damned M$ Windows again, after many happy Tux only years.

I tried Wine / Proton with DXVK, but the anti-cheat didn't like it, and I didn't want to be banned. I made a Windows VM (strictly in KVM where it belongs!) with my secondary GPU passthrough enabled for testing it. The game worked fine as far as I can tell (eg. the menu loaded, no errors in the console whatsoever) but Battleye threw out even from offline raids, so I gave up.

I have to report: currently you can not escape from Microsoft to escape from Tarkov. :(

• Like 1

+1 for Linux support

I switched to using Linux full-time four years ago after years of getting fed up by the direction MS continued to take their platform. At the time, I thought I had to write off ever being able to play any major releases again.

Last year I played through a number of titles that I purchased via Steam which were supported by Proton. Some titles had a few issues which may or may not be related to being played on Linux, but all in all I spent a few hundred dollars and that is not money I regret spending. 

I would be excited to pay for and play any version of Escape from Tarkov that could be built and released for Linux. From my understanding EFT is built on the Unity Engine, and Unity allows for Linux builds so I believe in theory this should already be possible. Another option would be to release the game on Steam, where a number of Windows-only games are supported by the Proton community.

I understand the economics of the gaming market, and why Linux tends to get overlooked by studios. With that said, I think you'll find many Linux users happy to play EFT in whatever form you are able to release it, and even though the Linux gaming scene is growing rapidly I think you'll find you won't have nearly as much competition on this OS.

As much as EFT intrigues me, I will not be spending money to run M$ solely for the purposes of running games. I will happily spend money though if EFT could be made available to play on Linux in some form or fashion

+1 for Linux support

Just thought I'd add this in hopes that it'll happen just a bit sooner the more people want it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

+1

I actually bought the game not realising it had BattlEye which does not work via wine/proton (BE has a native Linux version).

Oops. Fortunately I do have windows10 dual boot, but as more and more games get anti-cheat, its starting to make Linux look grim (unless your someone who only plays native games).

I came from a windows environment so allot of my games are windows only, so not willing to ditch all my collection because most games don't have native support.

Edited by theriddick2077

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:03 PM, Xarc said:

Just use the dual-boot.

Yeah I do this currently. It's annoying and unfortunate however.

Games I currently must use windows to play due to AntiCheat not working under proton/steamplay

RUST, EFT, Mortal 2 Online (closed beta), SCUM, ARMA3 (can play on non-AC servers)

Its not a big list really. Trying to get devs to support Linux is ultra hard mode however :(

The use of BattlEye and EasyAntiCheat applications is likely to continue to increase as devs look to reduce cheaters in their games. However its been proven they do not work to stop all cheaters, things like ESP cheat in SCUM for example is still common use I suspect (undetectable as its just a HUD assistant for seeing where players are in proximity).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, theriddick2077 said:

Yeah I do this currently. It's annoying and unfortunate however.

I know it sucks.

8 hours ago, theriddick2077 said:

However its been proven they do not work to stop all cheaters, things like ESP

I think if this happens in Windows and has 50 holes ... How many holes would be added if Linux will receive support ? :)

• 3 weeks later...