How does this sound engine work?

Like, I died so many times just due to the sound messing me up. My most recent situation was when I was doing a cache run at customs. I was near the junk bridge and a guy was there camping (of course) and shot me up. I heard the shots going straight behind me, I get confused because I just check behind me and no one was there but I still crouch down behind a rock instinctively. After getting shot at a billion times I realize the guy was straight in front of me and crouching down. like, what? The guy had no helmet on neither, I could of easily got him if it wasn't for the sound completely messing me up.

But is it just me being dumb or what? Like I don't understand this sound engine at all.

Its supposed to get a much anticipated upgrade to Steam sound or something you can look it up. If were following the current timeline of upgrades and fixes to long standing problems i would expect another 5+ years.....

Barangolo

The sound in this patch is much more bugged than before. Let's hope next wipe we'll have better sound, but don't bet on it. The fact that some wipes back the sound was much better from what I read, tells a lot about how this comes and goes.