Sign in to follow this  
Eqlibrium

Can we please for the love of tarkov god get a sneak peak on how the game will sound with steam audio?

Eqlibrium

Just wanna say, dont take me wrong. Its not a rant and om not mad. Tho im having a bit of a hard time understanding bsg view  on how much of a importance a good soundsystem/design has for a game in this caliber. And recordings in general sounds so good that i feel current sound system maybe degrade them in some ways.

Since i got the game iv waited and waited and waited for a decent audio system. It felt like a punch in my stomach when you "fixed" removed surround sound because it was bugged. I tough fixed meant my own sounds wouldnt play in my back speakers, but nope. Back to the good old flat stereo. Dont take me wrong, iv noticed you have done some changes to improve sounds, but am i wrong to say that we can all agree its still very bad. It was like a new game playing in factory, hearing people running on the top crane, at the same time hearing dude on 1 floor and 3 dude comming at me and i managed to kill him because i heard exactly where he was and distance he was from me. It took the game to a new level, even tho the surround was bugged, like my footsteps was playing in back speakers.

Sound in this game has literally been the main cause of many death, sound tells me one thing, bullets tells the opposite. Dude with silencer hiding in a bush from maybe 1-10 meters, sounds says he is inside my character, inside my head. There is 0 depth to the sound, just flat with 0 helpful information. It literally sound like the shooter is inside my head while shooting at me from 2-10 meter from unknown direction in some circumstances. Iv experienced sound playing in opposite side of where pmc is coming from,  more than once. Checked if i had my headphones opposite more than once. Luckily i haven't experienced this in some time, but directional sounds still lie and confuses me more then give me helpful information. Sound is still very odd and flat, and give little information vs what it would in real life and even comparing to other games.

If experienced compacts not picking up players walking on wooden floor, or if i got a visual the sound system can be a sob. Not sure this is related tho, it could be a bug. Sometime they are dead silent while walking normal speed, and i hear the shot that kills me. Iv seen pmc sprinting thru bushes, wooden floor or metal from close range. Compacts cant pick them up at all. 

Vertical sounds, tho much better compared to alpha where it didnt exist (ignoring when i got to try the bugged surround before it got reverted) its not good. Same for depth. I playd the game long enugh so i can somewhat guess distance. But sound sucks at it in many circumstances.

Also, sound design can be very odd. Tho, im assuming this will improve in the future when sound finally gets some love it should had gotten ages ago.. Like only a few sound types when walking on different surfaces, and when walking on some surfaces its so freak'n loud it sounds like im a dude wearing 100kg backpack while using tapping shoes. 

Rain, winds and nature related sounds. Recordings sounds great, tho it would be cool to hear some more sounds from wild life. Like birds, insects (maybe that could be modeled in, there are flowers ingame. Could be cool?)

I was hoping for some info regarding steam audio or sound system in last podcast, i prayed for a video showing how the game could sound like with this system. But as use all, sound isnt interesting compared to pics of mods and armor.  Nothing wrong with that. But Nikita (he or devs will probably never read this :P) would you be so kind to give us that enjoy good sound a taste of how steam audio can improve this game. Like a video with some action, if system is good enugh. Use nighttime, so sound becomes main attention.

Or is the new soundsystem still so unfinished that a demonstration isnt possible?

To anyone reading this, congrats. And if devs or the boss him self read this and respond. I will probably be shell shocked. And if its possible to see a video of steam audio in action, it would be very interesting. And as always, keep up the good work, game has come a long way since i bought it, except soundsystem..   😎 

Edited by Eqlibrium
  • Like 2

Nutcracker87

In all honesty we could use a preview of the new sound system and hopefully it will be implemented soon since the game really does have a sound system from 20 years ago. Its atrocious. You pretty much dont have front and back playback its left and right, theres very little difference between up and down and sounds play through bunker floors like its cardboard. 

kecorrigan

we've had trash audio for literally as long as I can remember, don't hold your breath.. I doubt its coming anytime soon, and i completely agree. Idk how you can have a shooter at this caliber and have an absolutely horrible sound system that doesn't even differentiate between floors. really sad