Jump to content
ohh_danielson

New player - where to start

Recommended Posts

ohh_danielson

Hi all, new here but hoping to be active on this forum quite a bit :)

 

So I bought the game last week and have done about 5 raids, escaped twice. 

 

I am just wondering what is actually best to do as a new player. It is quite overwhelming and at the minute I have found myself watching about a dozen YouTube vids on tips for beginners, good starting weapons, how to level traders, how to make money etc. But I don't actually know where to start lol. 

Should I just do some scav runs and get used to the game mechanics and hope to get out with some gear then sell on. This should in turn get me some money, and level up some traders a bit?! This is what I am leaning towards but then another side of me thinks I should play as my PMC and just try get him levelled up, and try do some of the traders tasks. But because the game literally doesn't give anything away, it's tough to know where to start. 

I have only just started to read into all the different ammo types, as I soon realised when I shot a guy in the chest about 7 times and he didn't flinch that my ammo was useless against armor. So another side of me thinks I should focus on getting some starter gear setup so I can actually fight players, but maybe I am jumping ahead of myself. 

 

Thanks

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schubbey

welcome dan,

what do you want to do in tarkov? 2/5 is a good escape rate, if you learn what to loot and what not you should be fine

first of all you should try to do the starting quests, get level 5 for the flea market...from here its totally up to you

just some things that could be interesting, for standard edition prapor questline the punisher is a good goal, it gives you the epsilon secure container 2X4 space, after you did every quest in the game (beside the stylish one) you can get the kappa container (biggest secure container of all), also some quests give different cases which give you more room in your inventory, also leveling the traders will get you some good deals,

next thing would be the hideout, can get more inventory space pretty cheap and fast (for standard edition owner, higher edition start with higher stash), and the bitcoin farm (dont think its still worth the money at that point but wipe date not confirmed yet so it could be), also scav cooldown if you enjoy going in as scav - workbench kinda must have to mod guns and set up presets, also shooting range to learn how mods affect your guns

is always wise to learn map after map (customs most played beginners map id say), reserve offers most consistent loot, while shoreline can give most cash (ledx farm video for more info) but also woods is kinda charming and shturman can give red rebel and factory offers fastest pvp (best for kill x pmc quests)...every map has its up and downsides its just about learning them

last but not least, there will be a wipe for sure, so dont fear to much, also you can reset your account at any time, most important to enjoy the game

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ohh_danielson
1 hour ago, schubbey said:

welcome dan,

what do you want to do in tarkov? 2/5 is a good escape rate, if you learn what to loot and what not you should be fine

first of all you should try to do the starting quests, get level 5 for the flea market...from here its totally up to you

just some things that could be interesting, for standard edition prapor questline the punisher is a good goal, it gives you the epsilon secure container 2X4 space, after you did every quest in the game (beside the stylish one) you can get the kappa container (biggest secure container of all), also some quests give different cases which give you more room in your inventory, also leveling the traders will get you some good deals,

next thing would be the hideout, can get more inventory space pretty cheap and fast (for standard edition owner, higher edition start with higher stash), and the bitcoin farm (dont think its still worth the money at that point but wipe date not confirmed yet so it could be), also scav cooldown if you enjoy going in as scav - workbench kinda must have to mod guns and set up presets, also shooting range to learn how mods affect your guns

is always wise to learn map after map (customs most played beginners map id say), reserve offers most consistent loot, while shoreline can give most cash (ledx farm video for more info) but also woods is kinda charming and shturman can give red rebel and factory offers fastest pvp (best for kill x pmc quests)...every map has its up and downsides its just about learning them

last but not least, there will be a wipe for sure, so dont fear to much, also you can reset your account at any time, most important to enjoy the game

 

Thanks buddy. 

 

When you say starting quests, are these the ones from the traders? I have gone in and accepted all these so will look into them a bit more. I presume I need to do these tasks with my pmc, scav run won't count? 

 

The punisher quest line sounds good, do I unlock that after doing some of his other quests?

 

The hideout looks and sounds cool, do I unlock that at a certain level? 

I am currently just learning customs and cant see myself leaving that map for a while lol, I am still trying to learn the spawns and use an online map which is useful. 

I think my goal will be, do scav runs and try get some loot. Then after scav run go in as my PMC and do some quests. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xynergize

What up brother .Im lvl 22 so not new but not old Ahahah.They wipe the game every 4-6 months .As a new player myself what I decided to focus on for the first wipe was nothing but my tarkov gameplay.Yes I’ve done some quests to earn a little XP,learn to build weapons with specifications.But what I’ve mainly focused on is my gun play and game awareness.That way on the next wipe I’ll have a clear understanding of tarkov that way the start  quests ,base building,material hunting will be much easier and understandable.Tarkov is literally what YOU make it ..So dabble here and there.
 

I also do scav run, than a pmc.If I die as pmc I do another scav.If I live I go right back into another pmc game.Because the only way to leve is to play pmc. 
 
Learning customs and 1 map at a time with a good 3D map open is a MAJOR bonus while playing tarkov.I also suggest a quick video on making sure you know the exact extract location because some of them are very specific and can make u panic lol.
 

I learned customs than shoreline than interchange .Has made my life good .But take ur time and kick ass 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schubbey
vor einer Stunde schrieb ohh_danielson:

When you say starting quests, are these the ones from the traders?

exactly those, you will unlock more at higher level and also with finishing several quests you unlock others

 

vor einer Stunde schrieb ohh_danielson:

I presume I need to do these tasks with my pmc, scav run won't count? 

yes

 

vor einer Stunde schrieb ohh_danielson:

The punisher quest line sounds good, do I unlock that after doing some of his other quests?

yes, can also look up in official wiki under prapor (can also find maps and pictures there)

 

vor einer Stunde schrieb ohh_danielson:

The hideout looks and sounds cool, do I unlock that at a certain level?

isnt it available from start anymore? could be at level 5 or with an early quest then but i remember that when i started this wipe it was unlocked for me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
McHibbins

I suggest Interchange map first!  

Lots of Loot even outside the Mall in hidden Stashes.  Easy to learn and u are able to dodge PVP most of the times. ...at least outside. 

And there is lot of Loot needed for the hideout .

All in all It's up to you.  Take ur time,  find ur own playstyle,  dont let yourself stress by money or gear or Progression other players have. .......the next wipe will come that's for sure. 

Play ur Scav as often as u can to earn money and learn the maps.  It's no risk with high reward if u male it to the exit with him. 

Play offline with ur PMC to learn the special things on a map and to train ur aiming and weaponhandling .

After several hours when ur feeling safe and strong enough, u wont need ur Scav anymore for making money. ..at least on the map u have learned first. 

Now it's time to switch to the next map. .........

It's just a suggestion mate,  other tips might be better but this is my style. 

140 Scav - Raids;  32% survival 

70 PMC - Raids;  75% survival 

I skipped offline and learn everything with my SCAV 🙂

Still playing only few maps : Interchange,  Shoreline, Woods 

I bought EOD Edition so I dont need to be stressed to male the quests to gain the trader reputation. ...at least till lvl 3. One of the biggest bonuses of the EOD imho. 

from a newbie to a newbie 🙂

Sry 4 my bad english 

 

Edited by McHibbins
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sackmycack
8 hours ago, ohh_danielson said:

Hi all, new here but hoping to be active on this forum quite a bit :)

 

So I bought the game last week and have done about 5 raids, escaped twice. 

 

I am just wondering what is actually best to do as a new player. It is quite overwhelming and at the minute I have found myself watching about a dozen YouTube vids on tips for beginners, good starting weapons, how to level traders, how to make money etc. But I don't actually know where to start lol. 

Should I just do some scav runs and get used to the game mechanics and hope to get out with some gear then sell on. This should in turn get me some money, and level up some traders a bit?! This is what I am leaning towards but then another side of me thinks I should play as my PMC and just try get him levelled up, and try do some of the traders tasks. But because the game literally doesn't give anything away, it's tough to know where to start. 

I have only just started to read into all the different ammo types, as I soon realised when I shot a guy in the chest about 7 times and he didn't flinch that my ammo was useless against armor. So another side of me thinks I should focus on getting some starter gear setup so I can actually fight players, but maybe I am jumping ahead of myself. 

 

Thanks

Dan

I've been playing for 2 and a half years and currently have 520+ pmc raids this wipe. I would say the best thing to do would to play interchange or shoreline as both your pmc and scav because there  is so much loot that most don't go for because for the experienced player there are much bigger fish to fry. I would say get a few mil together and some spare guns and gear, getting that much even for a new player isn't that difficult. After this I would recommend you start questing after this and spend your money on better ammo and good meds so you can be effective against both scavs and people not running the most gear, and also make a few basic hideout upgrades. The two most important things at least imo is to get rid of gear fear as fast as possible because it hinders people so much. The second thing being do everything solo or if you are gonna group up do it with somebody who is also new. All playing with somebody that is infinitely more experienced than you only teaches you maybe a spot or two and where the loot is at, what they can't teach you is actual skill like gunplay, recoil control, and how to win fights. They can kill groups with you tagging along all day but all you will learn is how to let someone else do the job for you instead of learning how to do it yourself.

Edited by sackmycack
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Deltabluzer

I'm a new player as well.

As a scav I've had a decent success rate playing it slow/looting stashes on shoreline. Won a firefight against a lvl 30 PMC, plus got the jump on some player scavs. Amassed a decent bit of gear this way including an M700, various AKs and armour.

However, I hate Customs. Not an ideal map for the first quest tbh. Getting destroyed by high lvl players minutes after spawning in. My PMC is only at lvl 3 so far. Going to play more offline runs on that map I think until I know it inside out. No point atm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ohh_danielson
19 hours ago, Xynergize said:

What up brother .Im lvl 22 so not new but not old Ahahah.They wipe the game every 4-6 months .As a new player myself what I decided to focus on for the first wipe was nothing but my tarkov gameplay.Yes I’ve done some quests to earn a little XP,learn to build weapons with specifications.But what I’ve mainly focused on is my gun play and game awareness.That way on the next wipe I’ll have a clear understanding of tarkov that way the start  quests ,base building,material hunting will be much easier and understandable.Tarkov is literally what YOU make it ..So dabble here and there.
 

I also do scav run, than a pmc.If I die as pmc I do another scav.If I live I go right back into another pmc game.Because the only way to leve is to play pmc. 
 
Learning customs and 1 map at a time with a good 3D map open is a MAJOR bonus while playing tarkov.I also suggest a quick video on making sure you know the exact extract location because some of them are very specific and can make u panic lol.
 

I learned customs than shoreline than interchange .Has made my life good .But take ur time and kick ass 

Thanks mate, I think I will do the same and do a scan run then PMC. I need to level my PMC up, but mixing it up with scav runs seems the best of both worlds. 

 

I currently have a map of customs on my phone that is open during gameplay... I have heard a few now suggest Interchange, so that will be my next map! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ohh_danielson
14 hours ago, McHibbins said:

I suggest Interchange map first!  

Lots of Loot even outside the Mall in hidden Stashes.  Easy to learn and u are able to dodge PVP most of the times. ...at least outside. 

And there is lot of Loot needed for the hideout .

All in all It's up to you.  Take ur time,  find ur own playstyle,  dont let yourself stress by money or gear or Progression other players have. .......the next wipe will come that's for sure. 

Play ur Scav as often as u can to earn money and learn the maps.  It's no risk with high reward if u male it to the exit with him. 

Play offline with ur PMC to learn the special things on a map and to train ur aiming and weaponhandling .

After several hours when ur feeling safe and strong enough, u wont need ur Scav anymore for making money. ..at least on the map u have learned first. 

Now it's time to switch to the next map. .........

It's just a suggestion mate,  other tips might be better but this is my style. 

140 Scav - Raids;  32% survival 

70 PMC - Raids;  75% survival 

I skipped offline and learn everything with my SCAV 🙂

Still playing only few maps : Interchange,  Shoreline, Woods 

I bought EOD Edition so I dont need to be stressed to male the quests to gain the trader reputation. ...at least till lvl 3. One of the biggest bonuses of the EOD imho. 

from a newbie to a newbie 🙂

Sry 4 my bad english 

 

Hey buddy, thanks for that. Nice survival rate :) 

 

One map at a time seems the way to go, although I am tempted by Interchange as you and others have mentioned it, but I have been trying to get my head around customs, so I will probably stick to that and go for Interchange next! 

I will make use of the scav for these early levels for sure, then when I get a bit more geared/confident I will start being more aggressive with my PMC! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schubbey
vor 18 Stunden schrieb McHibbins:

I bought EOD Edition so I dont need to be stressed to male the quests to gain the trader reputation. ...at least till lvl 3. One of the biggest bonuses of the EOD imho. 

biggest bonus is stash followed by gamma container (epsilon doesnt take that long to aquire but also 1 slot less), quests are easy once you know what you do, multiple quests in a single raid and stuff - even as "newbie" you gain to ll3 extremely fast, main problem is the money but even here you can use fleamarket for barter trades and sell to vendor

telling that as standard edition owner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ghoulsby
On 2/20/2020 at 8:51 AM, Xynergize said:

What up brother .Im lvl 22 so not new but not old Ahahah.They wipe the game every 4-6 months .As a new player myself what I decided to focus on for the first wipe was nothing but my tarkov gameplay.Yes I’ve done some quests to earn a little XP,learn to build weapons with specifications.But what I’ve mainly focused on is my gun play and game awareness.That way on the next wipe I’ll have a clear understanding of tarkov that way the start  quests ,base building,material hunting will be much easier and understandable.
 

 

Newbie Lvl 7 here...not going the greatest, but loving every min of it.  :)

What Xynergize said!!   

I was so excited about getting into the quest line and building my hideout. Did a couple quests, done about 25-30 Raids so far, taking it slow...Im starting to think Salewas don't exist in my game files...My "standard" stash was getting extremely full...no room for successful raid loot, so I decided to stop hording and focus on just gameplay and mechanics...since there will be a wipe at some point anyway.  

Good luck out there 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ohh_danielson

Thanks guys. 

 

I had a few hours over the weekend and I have decided I will basically do a scav run then a PMC run, rinse and repeat. For the scav runs I will focus solely on loot and if I get a jump on a guy try take all that lovely loot, but that's not likely to happen anytime soon. 

Then for my PMC runs I will focus on the quests mainly. 

I started building my hideout, so getting my head around that a bit but not putting too much time into it. 

Anyone have any suggestions for a good starting gun? 

I am liking the thought of the mosin with the LPS Gzh rounds being pretty good it seems. Although I could really do with a scope, don't think any are available from traders at level 1 so will need to find one when looting. 

Also seen some guys mention the VSS is a good starter weapon with the SP-5 ammo? But mosin has been my choice so far as I have a few of them in my stash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
budracin88
On 2/20/2020 at 6:01 AM, ohh_danielson said:

Hi all, new here but hoping to be active on this forum quite a bit :)

 

So I bought the game last week and have done about 5 raids, escaped twice. 

 

I am just wondering what is actually best to do as a new player. It is quite overwhelming and at the minute I have found myself watching about a dozen YouTube vids on tips for beginners, good starting weapons, how to level traders, how to make money etc. But I don't actually know where to start lol. 

Should I just do some scav runs and get used to the game mechanics and hope to get out with some gear then sell on. This should in turn get me some money, and level up some traders a bit?! This is what I am leaning towards but then another side of me thinks I should play as my PMC and just try get him levelled up, and try do some of the traders tasks. But because the game literally doesn't give anything away, it's tough to know where to start. 

I have only just started to read into all the different ammo types, as I soon realised when I shot a guy in the chest about 7 times and he didn't flinch that my ammo was useless against armor. So another side of me thinks I should focus on getting some starter gear setup so I can actually fight players, but maybe I am jumping ahead of myself. 

 

Thanks

Dan

First thing to do is RESET EXPECTATIONS. Doesn’t matter how much or how well you do in other shooters. This is a knowledge game. You will die and die due to lack of experience not gear.  Experience. It will require persistence and commitment. You need to learn maps, scav behavior, PMC behavior, what is good vs. bad ammo. Practice OFFLINE mode, with scavs on, at Customs. Try to make it from spawn to exit 10 times.  IF you can do this 50% of the time then you are ready for online. Meanwhile use your scav at Interchange to get loot and learn the map.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ohh_danielson
19 hours ago, budracin88 said:

First thing to do is RESET EXPECTATIONS. Doesn’t matter how much or how well you do in other shooters. This is a knowledge game. You will die and die due to lack of experience not gear.  Experience. It will require persistence and commitment. You need to learn maps, scav behavior, PMC behavior, what is good vs. bad ammo. Practice OFFLINE mode, with scavs on, at Customs. Try to make it from spawn to exit 10 times.  IF you can do this 50% of the time then you are ready for online. Meanwhile use your scav at Interchange to get loot and learn the map.  

 

Thanks. So you would recommend using my scav for interchange to get some loot? 

 

I was sticking to one map at a time, so customs was my first map, I haven't touched another since as figuring out one and the extraction locations is a challenge in itself! 

 

Having had a quick look online at images of interchange, it looks quite straight forward so I could maybe jump on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spectro887
56 minutes ago, ohh_danielson said:

Thanks. So you would recommend using my scav for interchange to get some loot? 

 

I was sticking to one map at a time, so customs was my first map, I haven't touched another since as figuring out one and the extraction locations is a challenge in itself! 

 

Having had a quick look online at images of interchange, it looks quite straight forward so I could maybe jump on. 

Right now the best choice for me is reserve with the scav, interchange with the scav is quite difficult now since you usually spawn with a few minutes at the end of the raid, while instead in reserve with the scav you have many easy extractions and the probability of finding excellent gear on raiders is pretty high.

Edited by Spectro887
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
budracin88

Both Reserve and Interchange are great for scav.  Yes you can get a late spawn on Interchange but this isn't totally common.  Basic premise is the scav on Interchange or Reserve allows you to learn the map and most importantly make some $ which is a typical problem for new people.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paresthesia

Watch some streamers on YouTube! But most importantly offline raids are #1 to learn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2