Zybane

CPU - Low Utilization

Zybane

I've noticed more and more the game not really using my CPU as it should.

I have a 5.4 GHz 9900K, 4600 MHz RAM and most of the time EFT only uses 30-40% CPU with no core maxed out.

GPU usage is under 50% (RTX Titan), so that isn't capping my FPS. HT is off. 

In Reserve, FPS drops to ~60 sometimes which is pathetic, especially for this CPU. All graphics settings set to lowest. 

So if my CPU isn't being maxed, my GPU isn't being maxed, no V-Sync or FPS limit being hit, why is EFT running so slow? Almost like it's self limiting or doesn't know how to use my hardware properly. 

Edited by Zybane

xili84

is normal mate, game is badly optimized. you will at most get maybe 60% utilization on your cpu and gpu. and most ppl play around the 70-90 fps mark.

Zybane

I did some more testing, using CPU affinity and turning cores on and off (no Hyper Threading). Huge gains going from 1 core to 2 as expected. Going from 2 to 3 another nice boost. Going from 3 to 4 a small boost. Going from 4 to 5 a tiny boost. Turning on the last three remaining cores of my 9900K didn't do anything. 

So looks like the game benefits up to 5  CPU cores. So I think the game only uses 2-3 threads of different demands. 

Another thing I noticed is that the FPS is much higher at the beginning of matches then in the middle and late. Testing in off-line mode, it appears the FPS took a big hit when I believe SCAVs spawned in. 

Hopefully the Devs can make the engine use more CPU cores more efficiently. 

Edited by Zybane

drummerseve

Im running a 7700k at 4.8 ghz , a 1080ti and 16 gigs of drr4 3000 Im hitting 30 fps at points.  I get hitches where itll freeze drop from 100 to 35 frames in a split second, I have constant micro stuttering and as of the last update the frames are mainly around 57.  A couple days ago it would at least be around 80-90 fps.  It also doesnt seem to matter when I lower settings.   I noticed that it utilizes my gpu properly, but my cpu hovers around 26%.  I believe the last update broke the game for me. 

Edited by drummerseve

wixard

I don't understand how "not optimized yet" is a reason the game doesnt chew thru available resources. I get not being great at multithreading, but if the minimum required CPU is dualcore 2.4GHz and BSG recommended is 3.2, I should be able to play this game with a reasonable framerate. This machine is a CAD workstation I built a few years ago, it has a pair of 10-core Xeons and a pair of GTX1080s. I know the Xeons aren't fast by 2020 gaming standards, but with 2.6 base and 3.3 turbo I can't get to 60fps when there are other players or many bots in offline mode. In any sort of chaotic firefight involving 3+ people, or on certain parts of the maps, I drop into the 30s.

I get 80-90fps offline with no bots, I drop to between 60-70 in certain places and up to 110 in others. My gpu sits around 50%, turning on SLI drops my frames by 15 or so across the board. The only way I can get any of the cpu cores to engage turbo is set my PC to high performance power settings with 100% minimum processor state, then they run around 3.1 instead of 2.6 but that doesn't seem to do much for my framerate. If the bottleneck is raw computation that should be boosting my frames 15-20%, no?

The "use only physical cores" in game options seems to alter the affinity, if I uncheck that all 40 of my logical cores are selected there (and I lose 10-15fps). If I check it and then look at the affinity, it has every other core selected but only 15/20, it skips the last 5 for some reason. Playing with this made me realize Tarkov seems to have control over affnity, so I'm not sure tweaking it yourself will reliably help in any case. A couple of times I was trying to test 4 or 6 cores to get the turbo to kick in and when I tabbed back out the affinity had been reset.

nelly99

i thought a lot of tarkov was streamed like graphics and textures and locations of objects ect, maybe that's why cpu and gpu usage is lower than expected...for instance sometimes the reserve map loads quicker than other times, why would it do that?

Bo0mHD
On 2/22/2020 at 6:42 PM, Zybane said:

I've noticed more and more the game not really using my CPU as it should.

I have a 5.4 GHz 9900K, 4600 MHz RAM and most of the time EFT only uses 30-40% CPU with no core maxed out.

GPU usage is under 50% (RTX Titan), so that isn't capping my FPS. HT is off. 

In Reserve, FPS drops to ~60 sometimes which is pathetic, especially for this CPU. All graphics settings set to lowest. 

So if my CPU isn't being maxed, my GPU isn't being maxed, no V-Sync or FPS limit being hit, why is EFT running so slow? Almost like it's self limiting or doesn't know how to use my hardware properly. 

I have a Ryzen 7 2700 and if I let the game run on physical cores (because duck the logical ones, right?), I have terrible performance. What does the trick for me, somehow, with a software called Process Lasso I limit the game to only 4 physical cores on the same CCX and then I overclocked only those 4 cores to 3750mhz and underclocked the other 4 cores to 3000. This does it for me and a get a bare minimum or 60-70 fps on reserve. Of course, everything goes to poo if I try to use a scope as my FPS take a -20 fps dip. You should try it as well and see what results you get. 

jonesskill

Same problem in there.
tried to play in my main rig, RTX TITAN + 9900XE + 64GB of ram 3200Mhz - 30-50FPS in 2k on Reserv.  CPU-GPU Usage 20-30%
Switched to the seconday rig, 9900K + RTX 2080TI + 32GB ram 4133 Mhz - 40-60 Fps in 2k on Reserv.  CPU-GPU Usage 30-40%
Both: nvme ssd 512 GB Samsung 970PRO for SO + Tarkov.

In both rigs: Stutterings still happening ALOT, specially on firefights, game freezing when leaving inventory - Fps dropping to 5-10...
What the hell is this?

Zybane

I'm just glad to know it is affecting everyone and not a problem on my end lol. 

XLeetskeetX

Turn up your graphics

Zybane
8 hours ago, XLeetskeetX said:

Turn up your graphics

That is a myth. Tested it extensively that turning up your graphics somehow makes the game use your CPU better. It doesn't. At least on beast hardware. 

KlLLABUDZ

Yeah I have an 8600k 5.1ghz and gtx1080 and I run 1440p aiming for 90+ fps (144hz screen) with nice enough settings in demanding games like BF, COD, VT2, D2, etc. This game runs at a locked 90fps at times, then for no discernible reason it eats crap and drops to <60, sometimes <40 fps. I play a lot of games and know how to tweak for performance, this game is just hella unstable and they continue to (at least it seems) sink the most effort into new guns, new items, new maps, while the old maps get absolute trash tier loot compared to new maps, plus new maps have raiders to farm( how hard to have some kind of random raiders in resort instead of waiting a year or 3 to introduce a boss?) rather than netcode problems and servers. 

Sgt_Hartman
21 hours ago, Zybane said:

That is a myth. Tested it extensively that turning up your graphics somehow makes the game use your CPU better. It doesn't. At least on beast hardware. 

Tuning up graphics makes the game use more GPU bro.

snakeoil

Disable v-sync in the Nvidia control panel for Tarkov only, then go into the game and enable v-sync. Dunno why, but it uncaps the frame rate. Seriously.
I went from being stuck at 60 fps, to >90.

Zybane

Yes that only removes the FPS cap, not the performance issues. 

NocturiusHD

Just follow this video. This works! Helped me uncap my FPS to 120+ on customs etc. 

My specs are: i7-9700K, GTX 1080 8GB, 16GB RAM and M.2 SSD installed.