Sign in to follow this  
Zyn_Walker

Learning Curve

Zyn_Walker

Man the learning curve in this game is seriously brutal.

I just ran 10 raids and only made it out once. I have good days and bad days but when you go on a bad streak its hard to keep playing. Any advice to keeping your hopes up?

I feel like I'm slowly making progress but it almost gets worse the more experienced you get. When I first started I grabbed one good item then bailed. As I stay around and fight, I last longer in the raid but I almost always end up dying, so technically I lose more than I used to when I started. I can kill a 1 or a few players but I can't make it out because I just can't win every single pvp fight. Someone eventually kills me.

It's like the worse ladder anxiety ever, if I win my first game of the day, I almost want to stop playing for the entire day just to enjoy the feeling

MoxMisanthrope

As a little fish myself, still toddling around Customs only, I run quiet almost always. I take a pot shot to keep the 'Ran Through' status off my back, but that's about it. I rarely, if ever, sprint. I always use proper cover. I'm essential a rabbit.

When I hear gunfire, I go the other way, or give a wide birth. I also stay the hell away from Dorms, as that place is a blender.

I don't pack my PMC with good stuff, for the most part. Hell, the first Prap task, I got both M133's from the initial scav weapons.

As for ladder anxiety? It's all relative. Every item you lose can be purchased again.

Some contradictions, sure, but so far the above is what works for me.

Blaat112
10 minutes ago, Zyn_Walker said:

I just ran 10 raids and only made it out once. I have good days and bad days but when you go on a bad streak its hard to keep playing. Any advice to keeping your hopes up?

I feel like I'm slowly making progress but it almost gets worse the more experienced you get. When I first started I grabbed one good item then bailed. As I stay around and fight, I last longer in the raid but I almost always end up dying, so technically I lose more than I used to when I started. I can kill a 1 or a few players but I can't make it out because I just can't win every single pvp fight. Someone eventually kills me.

It's like the worse ladder anxiety ever, if I win my first game of the day, I almost want to stop playing for the entire day just to enjoy the feeling

I've been there. Well, tbh, I'm still there. Things do get better though. Just keep trying. Dont be afraid to run if you hear a gunfight with obvious decked out players. Or any gunfight for that matter, try and learn the maps, extractions, where to loot, etc.

Don't bring too much in a raid, if you don't bring much in, you can't lose much either. Yes this will put you in a disadvantage against decked out players, but tbh, you dont want to fight these players anyway (not yet).

Eventually you'll get used to the map more, feel more comfertable, that's when you bring in more gear.

And insure everything you bring in, if its crap loot you bring in, people probably arent gonna loot it, youll get it back.

I'm just a level 10 player though, I'm sure other players have better advice.

Vodor

As I say with all players having trouble is to not let this stage of the game get to you. A lot of people are gearing up for a fight and go looking for one with no care that they might lose all their stuff, because their millions can buy more.

When then reset happens (not for a while) everyone gets far more cautious so the gameplay changes dramatically and in my eyes is one of the most fun times.

As a tip to get gear/money/levels now you can spawn in with food and drink then go hide somewhere for 20 minutes. Then set out around the map. You can still encounter players but a lot of them will be dead or escaped. Scavs will be more frequent and give you some shooting experience and hopefully confidence will go up.

Im actually always going in with a suppressor on now because it’s helping me stay off the bang bang radar that causes people to come running.

Edited by Vodor
Spelling

shighty

Gonna need to be more specific on how you end up dying such as what map, where on the map, what gear you're using, and what you were doing. Since you're new I'm gonna assume that you don't know how important ammo is, because it's the most vital part of your gear. Bad ammo = you're not gonna kill anyone. But good ammo is also expensive.

You can watch YouTube videos to learn all about that but if you're a low level your best bet is going to be the mosin or the vepr hunter for killing players. Or you can try using a cheap smg like the kedr and spray for the legs. When you use good ammo you need to aim for the head or chest otherwise they're going to eat a lot of shots even if you shoot them in the stomach a bunch(which I think is stupid personally) and their arms may end up tanking shots that should've penetrated and hit the chest because the game is still flawed.

If you need money play reserve or interchange, these maps have a lot of amazing loot that don't require keys, but watch some loot guide videos so you have an idea of where to look for it. Reserve is also more dangerous by a large margin though so just go interchange and shove some graphics cards up your ass and you'll be good. Maybe go nighttime to decrease the amount of players you run into but if you run into players with nvg you're kind of fucked. Once you break the cycle of being broke and can afford to run a decent kit every run you'll have a much easier time. 

Edited by shighty
  • Like 1

IBMess

Best advice I can give as someone who was there a month ago is to just keep playing. What I did was got used to Customs on my PMC and ran non-stop scav runs on Factory. The scav runs on factory are a great way to get lots of pvp practice guarenteed everytime with easily extractable loot. It'll give you a lot of extra gear and practice. Once you get more comfortable in PvP I encourage you to start being more ballsy on your PMC. Once you know the map, you won't learn anything by playing super careful and avoiding conflict. This is the time to get over your gear fear and get comfortable going to and dominating high loot and traffic areas (like dorms). What I did for a long while was strictly stick to Factory and Customs (mostly PMC runs for Customs). All I do each time is bee-line for dorms. I'm so used to it now that I control and get the loot out of 3 story dorms 75% of the time (marked room key is dumb cheap). Lots of profit potential there with players as well as safes and marked room, just be careful for Scav boss b/c hes honestly tougher than 90% of the players I encounter in dorms. I'm now doing lots of scav runs on Reserve preparing to start doing PMC runs on it. I'm sure I'll die a bunch at the start, but just like Customs I'll come around to being confident on the map. Just keep playing.

IBMess

I agree with shighty as well here. If you're in need of some lootable items to sell on the flea market definitely go Interchange. Its gonna be challenging getting your bearings straight at first on that map, but after that it'll be smooth sailing. Its also a dark map with lots of corners that make it easy to ambush/avoid conflict all together. I'd advise aiming to hit up all the tech stores and then doing quick pass-bys in Oli or Goshan if you happen to be going through. Oli and Goshan have lots of profit potential but they're also huge and contested areas, so I wouldn't suggest spending too long there. You can also do some loot runs on your scav there too. You'd be amazed how many times I get a late scav spawn on Interchange to find lots of unlooted tech and partially looted bodies. Just be VERY careful of exit campers here b/c theres only two fairly open extracts.

Xeraphas

Hey Zyn wanna play with me? I've been hesitating to play with the server condition but it would be cool to do stuff.

vincentek9

Still a fairly new fish in this big pond but this is what i'm learning so far...

- Customs is not such a good newbie PMC map in my opinion.  Try Reserve as its got tons more loot spread out so less chance for gunfights against geared players.  Alot of the smaller loot spots are completely ignored as well.  A new PMC should get adjusted to the sewer manhole exfil as that is probably the safest one they could use for a while.  As a scav, you have better options such as CP fence, Hole in the fence by the mountains, and heating pipe, but sewer manhole is ALWAYS open to ALL players so scav runs can be used to help you learn the navigation.  Sewer manhole demands no backpack in order to exfil so you need a big chest rig if you want to get out with alot of loot.

- Exfil  early.  During super early, its less enemies on the map and people are trying to get to their favorite spots.  As time goes by, more scavs (both AI and player scavs) spawn in.  This is when it starts to become more dangerous for a new player.

- Exfil late. Near end of raid time, alot of people would have already left so encounters become less often and less intense.  A benefit includes looting dead bodies as well as looting misc medium value items that high level players don't care about (bolts, nuts, bulbs, and tape).  A downfall is your energy and hydration are most likely running on fumes.

- Make some friends.  Coming in with a buddy will increase your chances of survival. Ambushing and the element of surprise can throw off a lot of players.

- Don't be a hatchling.  Hatchling = hatchet runner = only comes in with melee weapon and no gear (had to elaborate because some new people think hatchling meant new player).  Yes, i've done hatchet runs when I first started and it was super fast to run in and fill my secure container and then run out and die as fast as I can.  Then i heal out of raid and jump back into another raid.  The reason for wanting a quick death was my energy/hydration were not depleted.  But maybe 50% of those runs, I was killed by someone who I could have easily taken out with a pistol.  The recent mechanic for scavs to hunt hatchlings is also pretty brutal and having a pistol registers as you aren't a naked hatchling. 

Funuvagun
13 minutes ago, vincentek9 said:

- Customs is not such a good newbie PMC map in my opinion.  Try Reserve as its got tons more loot spread out so less chance for gunfights against geared players.  Alot of the smaller loot spots are completely ignored as well.  A new PMC should get adjusted to the sewer manhole exfil as that is probably the safest one they could use for a while.  As a scav, you have better options such as CP fence, Hole in the fence by the mountains, and heating pipe, but sewer manhole is ALWAYS open to ALL players so scav runs can be used to help you learn the navigation.  Sewer manhole demands no backpack in order to exfil so you need a big chest rig if you want to get out with alot of loot.

I agree that Reserve is a good Scav map, but I wouldn't recommend it for early PMC raids. If you don't have paracord and the Red Rebel Ice Axe, your exfil choices are VERY limited. @vincentek9 is right that Manhole is probably your best choice but it is very exposed.

It's good to know Customs because of the quests and quests are a good way to get experience and unlock higher levels with the Traders. It is also very linear and you can learn the movement patterns of the AI scavs and players. But maybe not the best for just looting.

I liked Shoreline as an early place for my PMC to loot. As long as I stayed away from the Resort, there were several places to get loot and kill Scavs without worrying too much about PMCs (who were generally at the Resort). There are lots of hidden loot stashes (which you can find maps to online) and the AI Scavs stay in predictable, limited areas. When I got more comfortable, I would venture up to the Resort or hunt for PMCs along the southern edge of the map.

Zyn_Walker

Wow everyone thanks for the great responses. The truth is I love this game it is very addicting and I know the fun goes up along with knowledge and skill.

I mainly run PMC customs or Shoreline, maybe I should start taking my scav into interchange to start learning it. I also probably need to slow down, once the match gets past 20 mins and I'm looted I start just trying to escape but I should take my time and pay attention more.

Thanks again guys!

LoginTaken

Its not a curve. Its a fixed angle.

You are suppose to slam your head and slide off.

Sounds like you are playing way too aggressive for your own good.

I suck at PVP and avoid it if I can unless I can get the drop on them.

TUALMASOK

I've been playing for over a year and still think of my Tarkov skillset as noobish. You're always learning with this game.

Mattd316
22 hours ago, Zyn_Walker said:

Play more aggressive its the only way to get better and also use the ammo chart on the wiki.If you are using better caliber ammo you can wreck even geared players.IF you play Eu i can help you.