2080ti/3900x performance

Add to that 32 gb 3200 mhz ram and a 2k 144 hz monitor and those are my specs.

I am looking for people with the same cpu/gpu combo to share their fps. It just feels too low to me and i can't figure it out. i tried most if the stuff online and i don't know.

With everything at minimum except TAA i'll dip under 60 fps on reserve here and there. Everything else I play runs so well, but this... 

Please, anuone else experience this on a similar rig?

tracksuithitman

I don't have the same hardware as you, but I've looked into this quite a bit after experiencing issues with my 1080.

The game isn't the best in terms of optimization, but a lot of people report getting higher frames with higher settings. So if you set textures and shadows to ultra you might find better performance. Also use FXAA or no AA (I prefer FXAA).

There are other topics on the forums and in Reddit that link/list decent settings for all kinds of setup, just do a search on either board.

Did you try turning off multithreading in your BIOS? I have about half of your hardware, an older 10-core Xeon and a 1080, and I went from ~50fps to ~80fps average by disabling the virtual cores. Before doing that, when I used 'fps 2' in console, my Render ms was always in the red at 18-20ms regardless of what settings I used, now it stays green at 11-13ms and changing graphics settings has normal effects on performance.

Also the game seems to be terrible at engaging boost in the cpu, even though it doesn't use a ton of cores, so if your BIOS lets you force the cpu into max boost you may see benefit there as well.

• Sad 1

Thanks Wixard! At least now i know whats causing it. Turning off SMT from the Bios every time I play Tarkov is not something I am going to do though. "Only use physical cores" doesnt do anything really so I gotta wait it out I guess.

As a side note turning off SMT led to "some" stuttering.

To be honest I now consider that calling the state of this game a beta is misleading.

Agreed 100%, it's absurd. That BSG hasn't fixed whatever is causing that issue, and that they don't even tell anyone it's an issue. You have to assume with the 'use only physical cores' option, which didn't work for me either, that they know about it.

tracksuithitman
2 hours ago, wixard said:

Agreed 100%, it's absurd. That BSG hasn't fixed whatever is causing that issue, and that they don't even tell anyone it's an issue. You have to assume with the 'use only physical cores' option, which didn't work for me either, that they know about it.

It's the engine. Unity is hardly amazing in terms of performance.

• Sad 1
57 minutes ago, tracksuithitman said:

It's the engine. Unity is hardly amazing in terms of performance.

Maybe, but I've played dozens of Unity games on this machine since I built it 3yrs ago. I've never had to go in the BIOS and nerf my cpu to get 60fps on low settings. If it's a known limitation of the engine BSG chose to license, the fact that threads like this don't have an admin linking to a dev post about how Unity doesn't work with lots of virtual cores is a bigger problem than the engine itself.

8 hours ago, Gengi said:

Thanks Wixard! At least now i know whats causing it. Turning off SMT from the Bios every time I play Tarkov is not something I am going to do though. "Only use physical cores" doesnt do anything really so I gotta wait it out I guess.

As a side note turning off SMT led to "some" stuttering.

To be honest I now consider that calling the state of this game a beta is misleading.

It is not necessary to do anything in your BIOS. Simply get Process Lasso software - you can turn off SMT there aswell. You can set your CPU behaviour for Tarkov specifically. Every time you run the game - Process Lasso will set the affinity how you want.

Try setting the affinity ti your last 4 cores (physical ones) - it helped many people to fix performance issues. 

Baelnorn
On 3/8/2020 at 6:38 AM, wixard said:

Did you try turning off multithreading in your BIOS?

Cant he just check "use physical cores" in game instead and not lose HT for every other function on his PC?

Baelnorn
On 3/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, Gengi said:

Add to that 32 gb 3200 mhz ram and a 2k 144 hz monitor and those are my specs.

I am looking for people with the same cpu/gpu combo to share their fps. It just feels too low to me and i can't figure it out. i tried most if the stuff online and i don't know.

With everything at minimum except TAA i'll dip under 60 fps on reserve here and there. Everything else I play runs so well, but this... 

I run a 2080ti and an OC'd 9900K @ 1440p 144hz. But keep in mind the 9900k OC'd is probably the best gaming CPU on earth right now and I have a solid chip. Also, the game internal frame rate limit is 120, but I stay at that FPS unless I am near an area that has to load a lot of textures/resources. Example, standing in front of Shoreline dorms, my fps is about 90.

There is a lot more at play also....

Which 2080ti do you have? If you use GPU-z does it say you have Micron memory for DDR6? Those 2080tis were mostly bad and Nvidia changed to Samsung memory. Also....

Temperatures of CPU/GPU during play as well as ambient temps.

Is your BIOS configured correctly (stuff like speedstep for intel should be disabled as an example)

Is your driver/GPU configured correctly? Up to date driver, not using V-sync etc etc. Settings for your graphics correct? I use ULTRA low level latency for Nvidia which is great. Also the Nvidia control panel lets you tweak other game settings.

You can tell it to optimize for speed or even quality at a program level. What I would do is boot up your PC, check you Nvidia control panel settings, and then go into GeForce experience and have slide the slider all the way to the left for "Performance" optimization and then run that. Then go check your FPS.

FWIW Tarkov is one of the 3 most demanding games for my PC which is why I love it.  My guess for you is that you start to heat your CPU during play and you get thermal throttled. 

Tarkov Nvidia.jpg

a.png

c.png

Edited by Baelnorn
2 hours ago, Baelnorn said:

Cant he just check "use physical cores" in game instead and not lose HT for every other function on his PC?

In-game option isn't working properly. 

As I have mentioned before - you don't have to cripple your PC by disabling SMT in BIOS. You can do same thing using program called Process Lasso.

Simply disable virtual threads exclusively for Tarkov.exe and you're done. People get even better performance by disabling all cores except last 4. 

2 hours ago, Baelnorn said:

I run a 2080ti and an OC'd 9900K @ 1440p 144hz. But keep in mind the 9900k OC'd is probably the best gaming CPU on earth right now and I have a solid chip. Also, the game internal frame rate limit is 120, but I stay at that FPS unless I am near an area that has to load a lot of textures/resources. Example, standing in front of Shoreline dorms, my fps is about 90.

Which 2080ti do you have? If you use GPU-z does it say you have Micron memory for DDR6? Those 2080tis were mostly bad and Nvidia changed to Samsung memory. Also....

Is your BIOS configured correctly (stuff like speedstep for intel should be disabled as an example)

Is your driver/GPU configured correctly? Up to date driver, not using V-sync etc etc. Settings for your graphics correct? I use ULTRA low level latency for Nvidia which is great. Also the Nvidia control panel lets you tweak other game settings.

You can tell it to optimize for speed or even quality at a program level. What I would do is boot up your PC, check you Nvidia control panel settings, and then go into GeForce experience and have slide the slider all the way to the left for "Performance" optimization and then run that. Then go check your FPS.

FWIW Tarkov is one of the 3 most demanding games for my PC which is why I love it.  My guess for you is that you start to heat your CPU during play and you get thermal throttled. 

Tarkov Nvidia.jpg

a.png

c.png

Tbh you don't have to run the game on Low, game looks like a potato this way. 

You can set textures to high, LOD quality to 2.5, antialiasing to TAA(whatever it's called), anisotropic filtering ON, sharpness 1 - game will look SIGNIFICANTLY better and you won't loose any performance. I think with shadows on high-ultra you might get even more FPS, because while it's on Low - CPU does more work.

Edited by caBOOMz
Baelnorn
32 minutes ago, caBOOMz said:

Tbh you don't have to run the game on Low, game looks like a potato this way. 

You can set textures to high, LOD quality to 2.5, antialiasing to TAA(whatever it's called), anisotropic filtering ON, sharpness 1 - game will look SIGNIFICANTLY better and you won't loose any performance. I think with shadows on high-ultra you might get even more FPS, because while it's on Low - CPU does more work.

I am offering help for those who need it. I am not looking for any input from others here, OP is. You've been on the forums 6 hours you are an expert on the game and how it performs now? Every post you have is in this thread...

39 minutes ago, caBOOMz said:

In-game option isn't working properly. 

Is there a bug submitted? Haven't seen a single person mention this? Is it only NOT working for AMD? How long has it been broken? Seems like it would be worth noting for those who arent seeing the performance they like.

Edited by Baelnorn
39 minutes ago, caBOOMz said:

As I have mentioned before - you don't have to cripple your PC by disabling SMT in BIOS. You can do same thing using program called Process Lasso.

Simply disable virtual threads exclusively for Tarkov.exe and you're done. People get even better performance by disabling all cores except last 4. 

I have not used Process Lasso, but manually adjusting CPU affinity in Win10 does not change my poor performance. That's what the "Use only physical cores" button does in the game options, you can confirm this yourself by looking in the Details tab of Task Manager while EFT is running and right-clicking the process. With the option on, only your physical cores are selected, with it off all of them are selected. I may try it, but unless Process Lasso is able to make changes deeper than Win10 itself, rather than just remembering your desired Win10 affinity settings, it wouldn't have the same effect the BIOS setting does.

8 minutes ago, Baelnorn said:

Is there a bug submitted? Haven't seen a single person mention this? Is it only NOT working for AMD? How long has it been broken? Seems like it would be worth noting for those who arent seeing the performance they like.

It isn't working on my 10-core Xeon either. It does change CPU affinity, but CPU affinity does not increase performance noticeably.

24 minutes ago, Baelnorn said:

I am offering help for those who need it. I am not looking for any input from others here, OP is. You've been on the forums 6 hours you are an expert on the game and how it performs now? Every post you have is in this thread...

It was simply my opinion regarding your graphics settings. Was curious what made you to make this choice etc. Not trying to tell you what to do, don't take it too serious.

So in your opinion people knowledge is measured by time spent on this forum? I was just passing by and logged in just to tell what I know about SMT etc. I have spent countless hours on reddit, youtube, google, BIOS and in-game analyzing EFT performance + I'm also using Ryzen CPU and have fixed my issues- so yea, I know few things and wanted to share it.

Is it a bug? Is it reported? Blah blah? I don't know. You haven't seen a single person mention this because I guess you are not using the reddit. Nobody is using forums novadays - most of the people is on reddit. 

49 minutes ago, wixard said:

It isn't working on my 10-core Xeon either. It does change CPU affinity, but CPU affinity does not increase performance noticeably.

It only helps in some cases for Ryzen CPUs, but have you tried setting the affinity to your last 4 cores? Or first 4, experiment with it. Additionally try to set the priority to "Above Normal" or "High".

Edited by caBOOMz
51 minutes ago, caBOOMz said:

It only helps in some cases for Ryzen CPUs, but have you tried setting the affinity to your last 4 cores? Or first 4, experiment with it. Additionally try to set the priority to "Above Normal" or "High".

I did try the first 2, 4 and 6 because I'd seen the advice for limiting it to a few cores. I hadn't seen the advice to try the last few. 

But my results were gaining maybe 10fps by using only physical or the first 4-6 cores, and 30fps by turning off HT in the BIOS. I mostly mention it because I was pretty surprised. In general I would recommend not tweaking your BIOS to accommodate beta software, I only went that far because I was averaging 50fps and dipping into the mid-30s during some firefights, bordering on unplayable, and I couldn't explain why when nothing on my machine was being pushed near its limits.

Could certainly be a specific fluke for my CPU, there aren't a ton of ppl gaming on 5-6yr old Xeons...

Baelnorn
4 hours ago, caBOOMz said:

You haven't seen a single person mention this because I guess you are not using the reddit. Nobody is using forums novadays - most of the people is on reddit. 

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum and thats saying something. No one gives a crap about that lame ass fake ass site where the owners change comments they dont like. FOH. 

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, Baelnorn said:

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on this forum and thats saying something. No one gives a crap about that lame ass fake ass site where the owners change comments they dont like. FOH. 

You have no idea what you're talking about, no wonder you are so clueless. Forum hero, conspiracy theorist lol. Well peace out, I'm outta here.

• Sad 1
Baelnorn
3 hours ago, caBOOMz said:

You have no idea what you're talking about, no wonder you are so clueless. Forum hero, conspiracy theorist lol. Well peace out, I'm outta here.

What don't I have an idea about? Spez totally changed users comments in the db of the site he owned.  No forum hero here, just pointing out you are a brand new poster presenting yourself as a Tarkov expert and saying things like options dont work in game and offering no evidence to support it other than "You said it". Meanwhile, I posted evidence of what FPS I got, my settings, and actually have the card the OP mentioned. What about you? Any pictures of your FPS? Any examples of the card in question? Nah? Oh right, you are just another forum know-it-all who presented 0 evidence and expect people to blindly follow you like the pied piper.

Well, Im the guy here to tell you to go $hit in your hat. You want to post some evidence to support the rest of your posts Ill gladly engage in discourse. Right now you come off like Charlie Zelenoff. 

-JohnnyBoy-

On 3/9/2020 at 4:57 PM, Baelnorn said:

Tarkov Nvidia.jpg

a.png

c.png

you have  a 2080ti and an OC'd 9900K and play that low? in my case have a 1080 ti and a 6700k and no matter what setting i use the fps does not increase. The gpu usage never goes above 60 % unless i eneable resampling.

if i lower the settings it only decrease the gpu usage but no fps increase. 

i have fps uncaped by the way

Edited by -JohnnyBoy-
Baelnorn

its amazing how many people swear they have these rigs and this fps and all this advice and not a single screenshot showing that working for them...then I post mine...showing 120 fps which in game is capped at...and I get hate nonstop

at this point I no longer feel bad extract camping and full saccing peoples gear

playerbase deserves it

The game is not even optimized + unity is a garbage engine.
Only way to get more fps you have to Mod win 10 (because stock is a pile of poo)
right setting in BIOS and decent OC
right driver of GPU (new dont mean better),interrupt affinity,power plan,msi mode,unpark core,window timer,process scheduling and etc etc. . . people buy high end hardware and even know how to use it and talk about placebo every time