achase4u

I don't understand how to progress

achase4u

I have yet to win an engagement face to face with a PMC.  I'm level 12.  Other times I just get sniped.  Or a team of two lvl 40 guys stumbles on me.  I went to "Snoreline" because some said it would be easier.  I saw a guy, high level, walking right towards my position.  Got the drop on him, unloaded a couple mags, dealt almost 400dmg to his body, 500 absorbed by his armor it said. (It was the only fight I had that match).  Aiming the best I can dancing around with his guy.  Of course he has better ammo, so he ends up winning.

I have been a die hard tactical shooter fan for years.  Original R6 etc.  My question is, if I keep getting beaten down like this, which only makes sense, how am I supposed to get anywhere or more importantly, have fun?  Obviously some work needs to be done as it's only a beta, but conceptually it seems to have some issues.

And yes, everyone says any geared player can still only take a couple of shots to the face.  That statement avoids several truths.  What is going to happen when the crap hits the fan and bullets are flying is the guy who can withstand more damage from lesser ammo with return fire with better weapons and ammo to the player with lower level armor.  It's not a contest.

So looting and survival being the key, the only way I can seem to play this game is to avoid conflict at all costs. Sneak out.  You barely get XP this way.

What am I missing here?

• Like 1

Trooper312
Posted (edited)

This can boil down to many different "randoms" - "What caliber were you using? What ammo were you using? Were you aiming center mass?", etc., there have been times playing solo I have let groups go by as the engagement would of resulted in death. Yes, the sweet sweet loot would of been nice, but the odds were too high and not in my favor. In addition, also depends on what armor you and the op had on when engaging. EFT is not just shooting but also a lot of statistics involved. 

Would recommend using "BattleBuddy" - its an iOS/Android app or similar ammo chart to see what will work best based on your gear/favorite weapon. Using the "best ammo" isnt always the answer however as you can just as easily over pen. a "soft" target. 

Edited by Trooper312

x44Caliber

It's because no one has shown you the way young padawan. First off forget shoreline. It is not easier. If you're not that good which is ok being new in this game because it is VERY hard. Run factory and Customs scavs until you know the maps like the back of your hand. There is no shame in letting geared guy go by. When you get comfortable with Customs start running some PMC's. Rule #1 Good ammo trumps good armor. Pre Build decent budget build ak's and run BT ammo for now. Get your aim down in your hideout. Camp choke points on Customs don't just run balls to the wall to dorms. AVOID DORMS NEW GUYS. If you're losing face to face gun fights that tells me you need to get your gun up. Hitting the belt to chest is garbage. Aim high chest to face. ALWAYS go for that headshot. With BT or if you can afford BS ammo will wreck guys even with high tier armor. Get your gun up. If this doesn't help sorry bro

IBMess
51 minutes ago, achase4u said:

I have yet to win an engagement face to face with a PMC.  I'm level 12.  Other times I just get sniped.  Or a team of two lvl 40 guys stumbles on me.  I went to "Snoreline" because some said it would be easier.  I saw a guy, high level, walking right towards my position.  Got the drop on him, unloaded a couple mags, dealt almost 400dmg to his body, 500 absorbed by his armor it said. (It was the only fight I had that match).  Aiming the best I can dancing around with his guy.  Of course he has better ammo, so he ends up winning.

I have been a die hard tactical shooter fan for years.  Original R6 etc.  My question is, if I keep getting beaten down like this, which only makes sense, how am I supposed to get anywhere or more importantly, have fun?  Obviously some work needs to be done as it's only a beta, but conceptually it seems to have some issues.

And yes, everyone says any geared player can still only take a couple of shots to the face.  That statement avoids several truths.  What is going to happen when the crap hits the fan and bullets are flying is the guy who can withstand more damage from lesser ammo with return fire with better weapons and ammo to the player with lower level armor.  It's not a contest.

So looting and survival being the key, the only way I can seem to play this game is to avoid conflict at all costs. Sneak out.  You barely get XP this way.

What am I missing here?

You're missing your shots, thats what.

Trooper312

If interested, my group, BRG, is just a bunch of guys casually playing the game, if you want to tag along and/or discuss some things that we do (or don't do) I can shoot you a link for Discord. We are older guys - jobs, college, etc., and generally are more active in the evening/weekend hours. We are always looking to learn and have fun. 

Scaramanga-fr
Posted (edited)

Go to the flea market, invest in some BS/BP/BT amo for your favorite AK and you'll be significantly more lethal.

If if you are bite short  in cash, make few scav runs to finance you.

cu ig

Edited by Scaramanga-fr

Grimm285
4 hours ago, achase4u said:

What am I missing here?

if you dont want to spend the money on decent ammo on the flea market a valued strategy (Especially if you have time to set up an ambush without the enemy knowing) is go for leg meta.  Your low ap rounds tend to do a lot of flesh damage and unless he already poped a pre-painkiller your first shots will destroy his movement.  A good follow up to this is a grenade or just keep hammering the legs

KlLLABUDZ

You can play this game in offline mode to get better at the maps, keybinds, weapon handling etc. I find offline raids far better than hideout range as you have scavs who move around and the range is very short. Put bots on higher spawn numbers and scale the difficulty up as you get through the map more often. Dont shy from fights, go hard and get in the practice of ads lean peeking, using soft and hard cover effectively, where scavs pop out from, and where you can get to in x time which is also where you can expect others to be.
Dont be shy of using gear but dont overstack either. A good cheap budget loadout can be done for 150-250k, and if you use stuff that is very budget you often get a lot of it back on insurance. A vepr, vepr hunter, op-sks, and basically all AKs are very cheap and throw good rounds and AKs can be done up very nicely with a zenith b-10 handguard for laser and foregrip, a TT-01 for a pk-06 or a side mounted okp-7, and a recoil pad. Add in a cheap lvl 4 armored rig for 35-60k, comtacs 20k, balaclava for 3k, about 60-120k for ammo, I often run 2x 60r and a 30r and keep a 60r in my SC. This is also good for running scav vest which is very cheap and upgrading off dead scavs.
Layering your mags can also be effective. Just put 5-10 of the good rounds on top of lower tier ammo in larger mags, generally the first few shots matter the most.
Get a good duo and get used to callouts and playstyle. There isnt any shame in recognizing you arent geared up for a fight and avoiding it. If you get good at this you can often use it to set up reactive ambushes. Nothing like shooting people that just walked past you in the back to increase your odds in a fight.

• Upvote 1

achase4u
On 3/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, Trooper312 said:

This can boil down to many different "randoms" - "What caliber were you using? What ammo were you using? Were you aiming center mass?", etc., there have been times playing solo I have let groups go by as the engagement would of resulted in death. Yes, the sweet sweet loot would of been nice, but the odds were too high and not in my favor. In addition, also depends on what armor you and the op had on when engaging. EFT is not just shooting but also a lot of statistics involved. 

Would recommend using "BattleBuddy" - its an iOS/Android app or similar ammo chart to see what will work best based on your gear/favorite weapon. Using the "best ammo" isnt always the answer however as you can just as easily over pen. a "soft" target. 

Many thanks for the tips and response here.  PRS 5.45x39 in a 74u.  I was aiming mostly center mass as we were both strafing and I didn't have the confidence to connect to the head in that scenario, though I see how it would have given me a possible win.

Very interesting about the BattleBuddy! I will try that!

achase4u
On 3/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, x44Caliber said:

It's because no one has shown you the way young padawan. First off forget shoreline. It is not easier. If you're not that good which is ok being new in this game because it is VERY hard. Run factory and Customs scavs until you know the maps like the back of your hand. There is no shame in letting geared guy go by. When you get comfortable with Customs start running some PMC's. Rule #1 Good ammo trumps good armor. Pre Build decent budget build ak's and run BT ammo for now. Get your aim down in your hideout. Camp choke points on Customs don't just run balls to the wall to dorms. AVOID DORMS NEW GUYS. If you're losing face to face gun fights that tells me you need to get your gun up. Hitting the belt to chest is garbage. Aim high chest to face. ALWAYS go for that headshot. With BT or if you can afford BS ammo will wreck guys even with high tier armor. Get your gun up. If this doesn't help sorry bro

Excellent.  I am definitely not confident as most guys smoke check me with two bullets to the head instantly.  Sometimes from a distance before I know they are there.  I do like realistic gun play for sure, but never has so much been riding on being successful in fights.  And don't get me started on magic scavs that one shot kill me with the arm shot!

I will try for headshots then. Thanks! Appreciate that.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, IBMess said:

You're missing your shots, thats what.

ZINGGGGGGGGGG

On 3/9/2020 at 3:54 PM, Trooper312 said:

If interested, my group, BRG, is just a bunch of guys casually playing the game, if you want to tag along and/or discuss some things that we do (or don't do) I can shoot you a link for Discord. We are older guys - jobs, college, etc., and generally are more active in the evening/weekend hours. We are always looking to learn and have fun. 

I am interested.  I'm mid 30s and run 3 businesses so to speak, at all hours.  Would be nice to run in with a group sometimes. Thanks.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, Scaramanga-fr said:

Go to the flea market, invest in some BS/BP/BT amo for your favorite AK and you'll be significantly more lethal.

If if you are bite short  in cash, make few scav runs to finance you.

cu ig

Cool - good strat.  I will do that.  BS/BP/BT it is from now on.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, Grimm285 said:

if you dont want to spend the money on decent ammo on the flea market a valued strategy (Especially if you have time to set up an ambush without the enemy knowing) is go for leg meta.  Your low ap rounds tend to do a lot of flesh damage and unless he already poped a pre-painkiller your first shots will destroy his movement.  A good follow up to this is a grenade or just keep hammering the legs

Ok - I definitely don't mind spending on good ammo but I constantly lose everything and need to start over so I will try this when I need to use PRS.

• Like 1

achase4u
On 3/10/2020 at 12:10 AM, KlLLABUDZ said:

You can play this game in offline mode to get better at the maps, keybinds, weapon handling etc. I find offline raids far better than hideout range as you have scavs who move around and the range is very short. Put bots on higher spawn numbers and scale the difficulty up as you get through the map more often. Dont shy from fights, go hard and get in the practice of ads lean peeking, using soft and hard cover effectively, where scavs pop out from, and where you can get to in x time which is also where you can expect others to be.
Dont be shy of using gear but dont overstack either. A good cheap budget loadout can be done for 150-250k, and if you use stuff that is very budget you often get a lot of it back on insurance. A vepr, vepr hunter, op-sks, and basically all AKs are very cheap and throw good rounds and AKs can be done up very nicely with a zenith b-10 handguard for laser and foregrip, a TT-01 for a pk-06 or a side mounted okp-7, and a recoil pad. Add in a cheap lvl 4 armored rig for 35-60k, comtacs 20k, balaclava for 3k, about 60-120k for ammo, I often run 2x 60r and a 30r and keep a 60r in my SC. This is also good for running scav vest which is very cheap and upgrading off dead scavs.
Layering your mags can also be effective. Just put 5-10 of the good rounds on top of lower tier ammo in larger mags, generally the first few shots matter the most.
Get a good duo and get used to callouts and playstyle. There isnt any shame in recognizing you arent geared up for a fight and avoiding it. If you get good at this you can often use it to set up reactive ambushes. Nothing like shooting people that just walked past you in the back to increase your odds in a fight.

Great detailed advice. I really appreciate that.  I really like the idea of layering the mags. Ive done that on accident before and it does make a difference.

I need to be more aggro at times and commit to the firefight.

• Like 1

achase4u

Well, I scav'd around until I could get my character set up with at least a minimum of gear(armor, helmet, headset, gun etc).  I ended up getting two VSS in a raid and bought some SP-5 after watching Grimmmz tear it up with that.  Two raids now in a row I've made it out with a bunch of scav kills and mostly headshots too.  A lvl 37 guy was poking around the gas station and tried to sneak up on me.  I let him have about 10 rounds of the SP-5 on auto to his chest with level 5 armor he was toast. I never even got hit once.  Now were talking.

• Upvote 1

MoxMisanthrope
On 3/9/2020 at 10:05 AM, achase4u said:

I'm not sure, Homey. I'm just into level 6 after 3 weeks of playing. I have 2 and 19 on PMC right now. Yet on Scav? I clean up. My EXP moves...as fast as when you take a nap. I don't understand how people rip through a raid, 5+ kills, buckets of loot, chests full of EXP. Dunno. I just keep playing, and dying. I won't see the flea market at level 10 until around August. Oh well. Just keep at it, I guess.

DaBoals

Do scav runs on Reserve and you can get quite a bit of free 5.45x39 BT and BS rounds plus a lot of weapons that spawn in raid are loaded with BP.  Do night raids for less troubles with other players.  Don't shoot scavs and you're golden.

achase4u
On 3/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, MoxMisanthrope said:

I'm not sure, Homey. I'm just into level 6 after 3 weeks of playing. I have 2 and 19 on PMC right now. Yet on Scav? I clean up. My EXP moves...as fast as when you take a nap. I don't understand how people rip through a raid, 5+ kills, buckets of loot, chests full of EXP. Dunno. I just keep playing, and dying. I won't see the flea market at level 10 until around August. Oh well. Just keep at it, I guess.

Im doing better now, but I really have to go full rat. I have a much better escape ratio now.  Keep at it. It has taken me a long time to get my strategy.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:58 PM, DaBoals said:

Do scav runs on Reserve and you can get quite a bit of free 5.45x39 BT and BS rounds plus a lot of weapons that spawn in raid are loaded with BP.  Do night raids for less troubles with other players.  Don't shoot scavs and you're golden.

Nice idea, thanks!

Imagine my dismay on woods after absolutely crushing it and getting tons of loot, I go to the factory gate exit. "You must bring a friendly SCAV with you to exit"

2 minutes left.  Welp. Not making it to outskirts in 2 minutes.  So I just put what I wanted in the alpha and ate it.

duck.

MoxMisanthrope
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, achase4u said:

Im doing better now, but I really have to go full rat. I have a much better escape ratio now.  Keep at it. It has taken me a long time to get my strategy.

Maybe. I don't see how. I'm now 2 and 27 on PMC. I'd love to know my survival on Scav though. I know it's more wins than losses. There's no winning on my PMC. I'm almost at the point where I just don't play as my PMC. Too much of a money sink, no EXP. Just lost to a 2 man by going my normal Rat playstyle. Total of 167 EXP for the day. 'Fun'.

Edited by MoxMisanthrope

achase4u
1 hour ago, MoxMisanthrope said:

Maybe. I don't see how. I'm now 2 and 27 on PMC. I'd love to know my survival on Scav though. I know it's more wins than losses. There's no winning on my PMC. I'm almost at the point where I just don't play as my PMC. Too much of a money sink, no EXP. Just lost to a 2 man by going my normal Rat playstyle. Total of 167 EXP for the day. 'Fun'.

Yea that is how it has been for me for a long time.  I play wildly cautiously now as PMC.  Def must have a headset.  Treat every corner like it could kill you.  It's tough.  But after long enough I have developed ways to play successfully.  Spending on some decent ammo and avoiding firefights is what I do.  Map knowledge is huge, too.

FlyGti37

It's hard to do anything in this game for the casual player. Geared high level players can hear you ads from 1000 meters away so don't even look at them. 

@achase4u I also play more as a scav then PMC because I will fight like I have nothing to lose.  I'll still get shreaded or I finally kill a PMC just to have a player scav cheap shot me as I grab my winnings.  Don't even get me started on the Evac campers.

Trooper312

Another thing is to make sure that you are using stereo sound, surround sound and this game dont go hand in hand currently to my understanding. I was watching some of the "career" players on twitch and this is what they recommend as it is easier to discern sounds. 

NicCage

Had to make my first forum post because I feel @achase4u's pain and wanted to offer some encouragement.  I'm level 31 and still consider myself new but I remember being under level 10 with less than 20% survival rate and wondering if the game would ever be "fun".  Keep in mind that the game is hard and some of the best, most well-known players have survival ratings around 50 percent.  So even really good players will get popped every other raid.

There are dynamics to the maps that only come with playtime, which means learning by dying.  Some spawns are real deathtraps, for example, and I only found that out through trial and error.  I had to put in practice runs offline to learn map and loot layouts and learn patience when playing as a PMC to improve.  Stick with it.

achase4u

You know. I thought I could do it, but I just cant.  My luck is unbelievably bad.  Combine that with the beta issues with the game.

I have a survival rate of 20 percent.  I was just giving the game one more go, and was hiding in a shack listening to a player sneak up.

His bare head appeared out the window, only his eyes and top of head, I was ready to waste him, yet somehow he one shots me in the face.  Tell me how he hip fired through the wall of a building like that?  Exactly.  Lost all my stuff, AGAIN.  Down to no money.  Im having to do SCAV runs to just have a gun on my PMC.  I've given every strategy I could a chance.  Dude I would kill for 50% survival.  There are just far too many instances of me getting one shotted across the map even when I had the drop on a guy.  Never has a game frustrated me like this in my life.  I really think they have created a scenario where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer with this game dynamic. 

Admittedly I wouldn't even care about all this is the game was just all around garbage.  It isn't. Its got great weapons, gun play and tactics.  I hate to let it go but I can only spend so many hours being pounded into the dirt at zero.  Almost every, single, raid.  It just makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 2

achase4u

Plummeting towards no survivals even with scavs.

Was scav'ing just now. Great run.  Was looking at a scav maybe 75 yards out.  Just slapped on some fresh flora armor almost full - two shots to the vest from that far away and I'm dead.  Couldn't even see the guy and I was looking right his direction because I knew he was there, and I was mostly in cover.  Must have been an NPC with God mode on.

I think there should be a slaughter rule.  If you have less than X amount of money on your main character, they should reduce the time limit on your scav re-runs.  Because I really have no other option.  So they are basically saying "hey, you can't play our game for 20 minutes".  That's not a good move.

I've got 1500 rubles on me and not much equipment.  Let me scav more because this one shot bullcrap and wait 20 minutes is not good.

MoxMisanthrope
17 hours ago, achase4u said:

I have a survival rate of 20 percent. 

Holy crap. That must be awesome. Imagine a 20% survival rate? Oh to dream.

I have a 2% survival rate. 20%? You're living the dream.

Osirium
Posted (edited)

Try and get budget runs on your PMC and scavenger runs on your SCAV.

I tend do use mostly the AKS-74U for my budget runs, cheap weapon and easily modded to high ergo and low recoil (ignore the PS ammo in the image). As for rounds, I always use BT because is relatively cheap has better pen and in the Reserve runs you will find a lot of it.

Learn the usual routes, hot places where most of the PMC's go and stack/hide and for money get proper loot places sorted, stashes (for this i choose mostly Interchange and Customs).

Here's the preset for it if you or anyone wants it, like i said ignore the PS ammo xD

AK2.JPG

Edited by Osirium
  • Like 1

MoxMisanthrope
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Osirium said:

Try and get budget runs on your PMC and scavenger runs on your SCAV.

I tend do use mostly the AKS-74U for my budget runs, cheap weapon and easily modded to high ergo and low recoil (ignore the PS ammo in the image). As for rounds, I always use BT because is relatively cheap has better pen and in the Reserve runs you will find a lot of it.

Learn the usual routes, hot places where most of the PMC's go and stack/hide and for money get proper loot places sorted, stashes (for this i choose mostly Interchange and Customs).

Here's the preset for it if you or anyone wants it, like i said ignore the PS ammo xD

AK2.JPG

Did that today. Twice. Died. Twice. Within the first minute. Headshot 1 tap. We'll see how today goes, and if it fails on every run, and I expect it will, I'll just give my account away and find a game that's more enjoyable to me.

I'd like to have Tarkov be the game I sink all my gametime into. Sadly, it's a game that requires more game time to 'git gud' at than I have available. I've a full life away from the keyboard. Not enough time to sacrifice for it.

*Edit* Three times. Sorry. Just happened again. A person can follow advice from hell to breakfast, such as the advice I followed to the letter in the post above this one. Doesn't mean you're going to advance in level beyond the whopping 27XP I've gained in 3 matches.

Edited by MoxMisanthrope