ErkamCalik

Patch 0.12.4 - Refresh rate PROBLEM '(local.ini) file'

ErkamCalik

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble setting the refresh rate after the new patch update. I have a monitor that supports 144hz and I should be getting that in the game. Prior to the update, I was able to change the refresh rate to 144hz in the 'local.ini' file and choose 'read-only' from the file properties. However, after the update even though I manually enter '144hz' for the refresh rate, after I open and close the game, Tarkov automatically reverts back the 'local.ini' configurations to default and my refresh rate is set to 50hz!!! 

Is this a minor bug at the moment or is this how it'll be from now on? To be honest, this is an unfair situation for people who have better equipment and should be getting a better game-play experience.

• Thanks 1

PalimPalim_

got the same problem.. changing to read only wont fix it after starting the game the value is set back to 50 

• Like 1

Fraku

The same problem for me but with 60hz to 23hz after starting the game

Sooty1977

Same here

xLostAndDamnedx

yeap,can confirm that

jhwaaa

I have the same problem. This is not the biggest problem. Why this game even dont have a ingame option for refresh rate?

zar95

Same issue

Sooty1977
24 minutes ago, jhwaaa said:

I have the same problem. This is not the biggest problem. Why this game even dont have a ingame option for refresh rate?

Not a huge problem but dam you can tell the diffrence, it just feels sluggish.

• Like 1

ShiroTenshi

You are not supposed to be messing around with game files, as per the EULA. 

I highly doubt this is unintended, but will have to check.

ErkamCalik

I think it makes a huge difference. I mean the game has optimization problems itself, such as occasional stuttering and server lags. And not being able to set the refresh rate to 144hz makes it unbearable sometimes. Any ideas to whom we can report this situation? 

ErkamCalik
1 minute ago, ShiroTenshi said:

You are not supposed to be messing around with game files, as per the EULA. 

I highly doubt this is unintended, but will have to check.

I don't think this would be messing around with the game files. The reason why people get higher refresh rate monitors is to have a better and smoother experience. And I think Tarkov is hindering players like us from achieving this, which is not user-friendly. 

Sothasil
Posted (edited)
vor 16 Minuten schrieb ErkamCalik:

I think it makes a huge difference. I mean the game has optimization problems itself, such as occasional stuttering and server lags. And not being able to set the refresh rate to 144hz makes it unbearable sometimes. Any ideas to whom we can report this situation? 

Riva Tuner Statistics Server would be an option to limit FPS to meet your refresh rate (set it to 1 lower than the refresh rate, so for a 144Hz monitor, you set it to 143 FPS)

That way you don't have to duck around with game files (works for any game, even compatible with Vulkan)

Edited by Sothasil

Sooty1977
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Sothasil said:

Riva Tuner Statistics Server would be an option to limit FPS to meet your refresh rate (set it to 1 lower than the refresh rate, so for a 144Hz monitor, you set it to 143 FPS)

That way you don't have to duck around with game files (works for any game, even compatible with Vulkan)

The problem is the other way round the refresh rate is to low.

Have you played a game @60hz and then the same game @144hz there is a huge diffence to a point were it is not realy enjoyable to play.

Edited by Sooty1977

ErkamCalik
Posted (edited)

Yeah, fps isn't the problem here. The game sets the max fps limit to 120 anyway, which is fine I guess. But there problem is you cannot adjust the refresh rate to 144hz or even to 120hz. It's always on 50hz, which, in a way, feels like you're playing the game at 50fps although your GPU and monitor is capable of going way above these limits. That's why it's so frustrating to play Tarkov right now. 

Edited by ErkamCalik

ShiroTenshi
47 minutes ago, ErkamCalik said:

I don't think this would be messing around with the game files. The reason why people get higher refresh rate monitors is to have a better and smoother experience. And I think Tarkov is hindering players like us from achieving this, which is not user-friendly. 

I understand where you are coming from, but the EULA is clear anout this. Is it a file used by the game? Then its a game file and falls under that rule. Regardless of how or what is being changed. If its not supported by the game currently then there is a chance it will in the future.

Changing game files to get around limitations isnt the way to go about this and can get you banned. Sure you arent doing anything too serious but you dont know in what ways others may be doing it that are way more serious.

I have already asked for clarification, just waiting on an answer.

• Like 1

Sothasil
vor 16 Minuten schrieb Sooty1977:

The problem is the other way round the refresh rate is to low.

Have you played a game @60hz and then the same game @144hz there is a huge diffence to a point were it is not realy enjoyable to play.

Put the game in borderless mode, that way it should use the refresh rate you have set for your desktop in windows. Can't test it cause I only got a 75 Hz monitor (which IS running at 75Hz, I checked)

Sooty1977
1 minute ago, ShiroTenshi said:

I understand where you are coming from, but the EULA is clear anout this. Is it a file used by the game? Then its a game file and falls under that rule. Regardless of how or what is being changed. If its not supported by the game currently then there is a chance it will in the future.

Changing game files to get around limitations isnt the way to go about this and can get you banned. Sure you arent doing anything too serious but you dont know in what ways others may be doing it that are way more serious.

I have already asked for clarification, just waiting on an answer.

Without sounding like a complete git i will not be forced to play a game @ 50hz in the year 2020 and defiantly not if other people are not effected buy this problem ,the disadvantage would be far to great to bear.

• Upvote 1

ShiroTenshi
30 minutes ago, Sooty1977 said:

Without sounding like a complete git i will not be forced to play a game @ 50hz in the year 2020 and defiantly not if other people are not effected buy this problem ,the disadvantage would be far to great to bear.

I understand. I am just saying that editing game files is against the EULA and can result in a ban. Chosing to still do it despite the risk is also a choice you have. 😉

I also have a high refresh rate on my monitor, but i dont find the hard lock at 50 to be a hindrance. Its not like i die more because of it. I certainly wouldn't risk my account just for something so small.

Sooty1977
37 minutes ago, Sothasil said:

Put the game in borderless mode, that way it should use the refresh rate you have set for your desktop in windows. Can't test it cause I only got a 75 Hz monitor (which IS running at 75Hz, I checked)

26 minutes ago, ShiroTenshi said:

I understand. I am just saying that editing game files is against the EULA and can result in a ban. Chosing to still do it despite the risk is also a choice you have. 😉

I also have a high refresh rate on my monitor, but i dont find the hard lock at 50 to be a hindrance. Its not like i die more because of it. I certainly wouldn't risk my account just for something so small.

All good my man the work around is to have it in borderless mode which is a new one for me but hey ho.

So i guess i can`t blame dying all the time now because i am on 50hz lolz

colortwang

Thanks for making this post. 

Post 12.4 patch I am getting 60 frames but it felt like 30.

I tried the border-less window as suggested and that seemed to work for me.

ErkamCalik
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sooty1977 said:

All good my man the work around is to have it in borderless mode which is a new one for me but hey ho.

So i guess i can`t blame dying all the time now because i am on 50hz lolz

how'd you confirm that the borderless mode didn't change the setting in the local.ini file? I switched it to borderless mode and then changed my refresh rate setting to 144hz. But when I exit the game, it was reverted back to 50hz again :/ But i've noticed one thing: if I switch to borderless mode and enable v-sync in the game, my in-menu and in-game fps goes to max 144fps. Does this also mean that my refresh rate is automatically set to 144hz? Can you tell me how you've achieved 144hz?

Edited by ErkamCalik

Sooty1977
38 minutes ago, ErkamCalik said:

how'd you confirm that the borderless mode didn't change the setting in the local.ini file? I switched it to borderless mode and then changed my refresh rate setting to 144hz. But when I exit the game, it was reverted back to 50hz again :/ But i've noticed one thing: if I switch to borderless mode and enable v-sync in the game, my in-menu and in-game fps goes to max 144fps. Does this also mean that my refresh rate is automatically set to 144hz? Can you tell me how you've achieved 144hz?

Borderless and Vysnc on in game and off in nvidia settings feels smooth to me but no hard evidance to back that up as like you say it revets back to 50hz in local file.

ErkamCalik

ok thanks. Yeah it eventually reverts back to 50hz unfortunately. I guess we'll have to wait until we hear from @ShiroTenshi

• Like 1

Obeimi

Waiting for workaround to set refresh rate correctly.

• Like 1

Kerasos85

The same issues here.

• Like 1