Blaat112

strength leveling

Ruffus2020

Pretty ridiculous, I needed 0.3 of a level to get str 3 and vents upgraded.
Now back to 0.8, lvl 0..... I mean, why punish ppl that actually took their time this last patch to level. 
The ppl who exploited already upgraded their hideout...

You don't reset stats mid patch, it punishes normal players, ppl who rushed or exploited already upgraded their poo.

Also, I walked a lot in customs with 46kg, said overweight, but you need 47.5kg to start leveling.....Frustrating as hell.

gen2face

this system sucks from start to end. metabolism is just trash. there is 0 fun in eating something to get energy.. you cant even play 1 full raid without having energy problems. why? why is there a punishment in every single instance? you kill someone you cant loot because of overweight. you want to play a full raid.. eat and drink or die.  SO WHATS THE BEST? just take a pistol and rush in ... loot your container and leave the raid. most profit again and no punishment. sometimes i think BSG wants everyone to run as hatchling. just NOTHING can go IN THE CONTAINER IN A RAID. only "INSURED" stuff you bring in CAN BE IN THE CONTAINER. hatchling runs fixed forever. 

metabolism: yeah why even go in a raid? just lvl it on your charakter screen..  this stats should just all be DISABLED.

Magerehein
Posted (edited)

This is how i level my Strength:

empty metal fuel containers from my generator or cheap from the flea market.  Big backpack (smallest scav or bearkut 3x containers fit in there) toss in the metal fuel containers and get around 50 KG with a gun and small rig and start walking in night-runs of shoreline

Cheap + boring but effective.

Edited by Magerehein

mortorem
On 3/24/2020 at 6:32 PM, sYs said:

To get good at something you have to invest time and learn. This applies to Tarkov and anything you do in real life. 

Tarkov is hardcore - if you are not willing to put in time and effort does that means devs needs to spoon feed you?

Sorry I think I missed something, but how is walking around with a bag full of poo for thousands of kilometers or loading in and spam throwing max grenades for 100s of raids an expression of skill? What does that have to do with learning? Nobody is going "ah so THIS is how you walk around with items in your bag!". After you've done so 100s of times THEN you'll be a better player lol. Listen, don't conflate grinded time in non-core gameplay mechanics as skill/learning. If you can progress through this game, reach endgame, high level/loot and still have a negligible strength level than it's probably not the greatest indicator of what most people would consider skill in this game.

I'm all for leveling skills naturally, and have only just started looking this stuff up for how to power level it because it is simply unbalanced for leveling naturally, but your argument only works if the progression is natural itself.  Having unnatural blockers/progression in game only serves to break immersion by forcing a change in behavior specifically to adapt to the arbitrary task. Like, endurance is just fine! Every time you raid you will increase that skill without going out of your way to try to change your behavior in the game to specifically fit certain threshold criteria set by the game.  You walk/run naturally all the time, so increasing endurance progresses in a realistic way! The strength skill though, is just not on the same level as any of the other skills in terms of grind vs progression blocking, which is why players try to find ways to deal with it. The ways to level:

Melee: Pretty irrelevant. Nobody in the game does this enough to level it to a reasonable degree. Not even like hatchlings (and they're not even an intended way to play the game)

Grenades: Thank god this one actually gives a sort of non-negligible amount of points, but grenades are sketchy as hell (glitch a lot, so I don't use them) and are not a necessary, core part of tarkov gameplay (Nor does it really make sense with #realism either)

Walking: And finally walking. The last hope. I wish this had more of an impact. I really do. The threshold for it to begin working toward strength is high enough such that by the time you've killed a couple players and break it, you're heading to the exit anyway. Given that you need 1000km it would take an ungodly amount of such raids to level unless you go IN with 48kg (which you wouldn't really do unless you were specifically trying to level it, which again forces you to break immersion).

I think if the game's goal is to be immersive and real then that should be enough of an incentive to make this increase in skill FEEL more natural. Maybe take away the set weight threshold that switches leveling from walking to running, and just make it a functional relationship. The two can be inversely related such that strength takes over at high weight, and endurance takes over at low weight, but both gain SOME increase in the middleground (also more realistic). Similarly, allow running with 80kg to level strength! It sure as hell makes sense for it to, and either allowing it to increase both strength and endurance, or just strength would help reallocate some of the leveling contributions that endurance seems to have stolen from strength.

mortorem
On 3/31/2020 at 12:06 AM, Ruffus2020 said:

Pretty ridiculous, I needed 0.3 of a level to get str 3 and vents upgraded.
Now back to 0.8, lvl 0..... I mean, why punish ppl that actually took their time this last patch to level. 
The ppl who exploited already upgraded their hideout...

You don't reset stats mid patch, it punishes normal players, ppl who rushed or exploited already upgraded their poo.

Also, I walked a lot in customs with 46kg, said overweight, but you need 47.5kg to start leveling.....Frustrating as hell.

Yeah in a similar boat as you unfortunately. Was finally getting close to being able to upgrade vents when they reset it. Makes it hard to feel like the rest of the progression system past that point is even worth my time. Like, I know I can probably have more fun AND make way more money just playing normal, killing and looting than going into raid purely with the goal of trying to level a strangely constructed skill.

libben

I mean, I dont mind tossing a few smokes every start of a pmc round just to have some small gains in strength leveling. But would be frustating If you reach strenght lvl 2 or 3 in a month just to have it being reset. 

When you see real exploits and strength lvling way to fast then yes, I can understand the wipe for some accounts. But for people who tosses a few grenades every start seems a bit silly? Do a reset when you can't exploit the system on a season wipe. 

fatal25

I just finished this last week myself.  The best way I found to do this is to go in the raid with a scav sized backpack and fill it with three metal fuel tanks.  Get your weight to around 59kg and just walk around and do whatever quests you may have in shoreline or just loot the cottages and bank and get out.  Bring 8 smoke grenades and throw them as soon as you get into the game.  I would get a Crye vest and had just about enough room for the grenades and some mags and one cell food/drink.  After about 3-3.5 points of strength gained in the raid you will see a red arrow icon on your strength stat bar which means you are getting diminishing returns and that is time to get out of the raid.   Walking raises strength, running raises endurance. 

GrizzleDump
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2020 at 5:32 PM, sYs said:

To get good at something you have to invest time and learn. This applies to Tarkov and anything you do in real life. 

Tarkov is hardcore - if you are not willing to put in time and effort does that means devs needs to spoon feed you?

Ruh Roh, you have somehow confused a game played for leisure and real life. News flash chief, they aren't the same thing. 

Sincerely, 
A retired Army Ranger who has done more hard work in his 1 lifetime than you could hope to match in 2. 

Edited by GrizzleDump

sYs
9 minutes ago, GrizzleDump said:

Ruh Roh, you have somehow confused a game played for leisure and real life. News flash chief, they aren't the same thing. 

Sincerely, 
A retired Army Ranger who has done more hard work in his 1 lifetime than you could hope to match in 2. 

If i wanted game for leisure i would go for COD.

Sincerely,

A retired spec-ops with 3 tours in Afghanistan who has done more hard work in his 1 lifetime than you could hope to match in 2.

GrizzleDump
3 hours ago, sYs said:

If i wanted game for leisure i would go for COD.

Sincerely,

A retired spec-ops with 3 tours in Afghanistan who has done more hard work in his 1 lifetime than you could hope to match in 2.

You are objectively wrong when it comes to the specific skill strength. It is not a question, it is a fact. I will no longer be responding to you.

Sincerely,

A retired Ranger with 4 tours mixed between Afghanistan and Iraq who has done more hard work in his 1 lifetime than you could hope to match in 2. 

sYs
Just now, GrizzleDump said:

You are objectively wrong when it comes to the specific skill strength. It is not a question, it is a fact. I will no longer be responding to you.

Sincerely,

A retired Ranger with 4 tours mixed between Afghanistan and Iraq who has done more hard work in his 1 lifetime than you could hope to match in 2. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Ain't it beauty - free speech. 

Sincerely,

A retired specs op with 3 tours in Afghanistan and who has done more hard work in his 1 lifetime than you could hope to match in 3. 

• Hot 1

Rekonsile
On 3/24/2020 at 6:57 PM, Looongcat said:

Bro, i just need to get LV3 to get the Vent lv up.

I only got like 0.8/10 for my strength for all this time playing.

image.png.b1a7e136576014bbc973f354fc076e8c.png

to level str you have to bring gear in. thats why you see streamers with high str if they actually dont rat every run they level str pretty fast

• Like 1

TheTOZinator

As a ranger tabbed 92G with over 17 deployments to Bongistan, I believe strength is too easy to level up and this game should be more hard core.

LtBungChang

Metabolism is another ridiculous one too along with strength. When it comes to strength it would be cool if you could build a gym in your hideout. This could increase the rate at which you gain strength, or something, 

• Like 1

GassperUK
3 minutes ago, LtBungChang said:

Metabolism is another ridiculous one too along with strength. When it comes to strength it would be cool if you could build a gym in your hideout. This could increase the rate at which you gain strength, or something, 

Fully behind this idea!!! We should definitely have more stuff in the hideout to let us slowly build our skills up, because standard skill grind is a bit of a joke at the moment! 

Na0cho

I don’t know how to change the skill progression system but I do know if it’s this slow they shouldn’t gate quests and hideout options behind certain levels. 

I don’t mind progression, however halting your progression and play style to level up str just to get vents 3 (which you need for almost every important hideout station) seems anti intuitive. 

im almost level 3 myself and I throw a ton of nades every raid. They aren’t cheap for newer players. 

CriticalC0re
Posted (edited)

Strength leveling is retarded in its current state. Make it level at literally any weight level with increased returns as you put on more KG - have played the game for 14 levels and still have 0 XP 0 level strength while most others are in 2-3 

This stat has no place in this game if it requires a dumbass approach of loading in and AFK macro walking around for 40 minutes or throwing millions of $ away in nades.

Edited by CriticalC0re

MrCyberdude
On 3/25/2020 at 11:31 AM, sYs said:

But one thing is not gonna change - maxing out stats gonna take you 1-2 years of ACTIVE playing. 

Well that is nonsense statement @sYs, as the statistics just get reset when there is wipe, or someone feels there have been hackers that got though the BSG FireWafer and cheesed some stat, like the recent jumping glitch.
I'm happy with the majority of Tarkov mechanics but the throwing of grenades for strength is a joke and is nothing more than a money exercise. I play solo and the walking with weight takes many days of playing (Walking) and doesn't coincide with the weight colour indication but instead 65% of max weight. maybe a more linear indexed weight system. It's an early hideout requirement, so make that level 1 and then make level 2 strength a requirement for another task as it's a genuine hold up.

traumacode

OP makes good points - strength leveling is not optimized properly.  Basically, you can level it through walking while overweight - makes you an easy target, or you throw 20 grenades in a match - great way to stay stealthy, or you cheese it and attack your buddy with a melee weapon while he heals.

All sound like great natural ways to level in this realistic shooter

Renslayer

As it stands, there isn't a good method of leveling strength within the game. As hardcore as it is, I seriously doubt that tossing eight to twenty grenades in a match is the best way to pack on muscle mass. It definitely shouldn't be easy to level and shouldn't be something that someone can cheese within a matter of a few raids, but the current method of leveling almost requires people to grind and cheese it in anyway that you can. A suggestion could be diminishing returns on the easier and faster leveling methods to the skill such as throwing grenades and farming with melee, while allowing the progress from walking while overweight to continue on at a normal rate.