Is Tarkov Killing my SSD?

NorthernFist

Hi all,

while running EFT my system gets stuck every few minutes for 10-30s. According to task manager it looks like the SSD where EFT is installed onto is at 100% but there is nothing read nor written during that period. I had this issues occasionally since I started playing 2 month ago but since the last patch it is like every few minutes that my SSD gets stuck. I am concerned that this could damage my drive. Do you have similar issues? Do you think this is bad for drive health?

Edited by NorthernFist
crikeym8

How much RAM do you have?

If you do not have sufficient RAM then Tarkov will start writing to your SSD's system pagefile - a pagefile is a space on your disk that acts as a backup when your RAM gets full and it is also a lot slower than RAM, even on an SSD.

I had this problem when I was running 8GB RAM and when I upgraded to 16GB the pagefile issue ceased and there was no more freezing.

• Upvote 1
tobiassolem
14 hours ago, NorthernFist said:

Hi all,

while running EFT my system gets stuck every few minutes for 10-30s. According to task manager it looks like the SSD where EFT is installed onto is at 100% but there is nothing read nor written during that period. I had this issues occasionally since I started playing 2 month ago but since the last patch it is like every few minutes that my SSD gets stuck. I am concerned that this could damage my drive. Do you have similar issues? Do you think this is bad for drive health?

If EFT was the culprit, don't you think that the forums would be stock-filled with complaints?

It's something on your end.

NorthernFist

Yeah, maybe it is something on my end. But I do not think it is related to my hardware. I run a quite new rig with 32GB RAM and other games installed on that drive are running without any issues. So I just deleted the cache and performed an integrity check. If that does not help I will re-install EFT. Thanks for all the hints-. Cheers

Xynergize
20 hours ago, symbiote said:

I think it is exit campers who might be scratching your disk :/

This honestly neeeds the LOL button hahaha

4 hours ago, NorthernFist said:

Yeah, maybe it is something on my end. But I do not think it is related to my hardware. I run a quite new rig with 32GB RAM and other games installed on that drive are running without any issues. So I just deleted the cache and performed an integrity check. If that does not help I will re-install EFT. Thanks for all the hints-. Cheers

As a Computer Science major, and someone who works with computers very often; this does not sound like typical behavior, even for a heavy workload. If your entire system is freezing up, this suggests something that is not related to your storage devices. Whenever your system freezes. I suggest that you run tests on your hardware to verify that they are all working properly. Namely, your RAM and CPU, as well as the OS your hardware is running. These are typically what cause such issues.

NorthernFist

it is not the entire system. It is only the drive where EFT is installed and the game itself. According to task manager (which is still running during these freezes, the drives workload is at 100% but nothing happens. Sometimes I see a huge reponse time. For me it looks like there is a process waiting for something and locks the drive until it gets the answer. This is mostly happening while moving stuff in inventory or browsing flea market. Hardware is OK btw. There is no issue with my hardware.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...