Tarkov crashes on map loading and how to fix it

Big_Joe

Hello, people from Tarkov!

This is not a regular "I have this problem and dont know why"-thread, more like a documentary about a problem i had (spoiler: its in the title) and how i fixed it. This may or may not be an obvious thing, but it took me several days until i finally pinpointed the problem and a few hours to fix it, so maybe it is useful to someone else. Warning: It may be a bit technical.

THE PROBLEM I HAD (AND WHAT I COULD HELP YOU WITH)

Iam playing this game for several years, since the beginnings of the alpha. Made it through many of technical errors and problems Tarkov had and most of the time, everything worked.

A few weeks ago noticed a problem i never had before: Tarkov crashed consistently while loading the "reserve" map and in a rather strange way. My monitors gone black for a few seconds, sometimes even stayed so but my pc kept working (could tell so, because i was in teamspeak with some people and could still talk with them). Sometimes it just crashed with the ominous tarkov crash reporter telling me to send the logs to the devs (which i did multiple times). I first ignored the problem as i rarely playing reserve.

A few days ago, it started on shoreline. And after that on every single map. I could always reconnect to my games and it worked most of the time, but was never able to directly start the raid due to the crash.

SPECS

16GB of DDR5 RAM

GeForce GTX 1080

One SSD exclusively for Windows

One SSD exclusively for Tarkov/Games

3.4 Ghz i5 quad core

SOLVING THE PROBLEM

After i took a look in the logs, Tarkov said it crashed because of an out-of-memory issue. Strange, as i have plenty of RAM and not even 60% of it was ever used by Tarkov, as my task manager told me. Searching for a solution, i came across a thing called "pagefile" and how to check if its correctly configured. Suggestion is to let the system manage it and thats what it was on my system so i kept it this way. Short and simple: The pagefile is an RAM extension managed by Windows in the form of a file kept in C:\. So i took a look on drive C and i was plenty of space left on my SSD for Windows, so this shouldnt be a problem. I also found a way to check if theres enough "virtual memory" (as its called) left for Windows and other programs to operate. You can see it in the "resource monitor".

Heres how to open it (on Windows 10, should be mostly the same for other windows versions, otherwise google it):

• Open Task Manager (either by STRG+ALT+DEL or by right-clicking the task bar)
  • Switch to the tab "Performance"
  • Click on the Link in the bottom of the window that says "Open Resource Monitor"

This monitor is very useful, as it shows what your system is doing right now and what is using what in case of RAM, CPU etc. I took a closer look on the "Memory" tab and the 3 graphs on the right. First on shows the amount of used physical RAM, the second one the amount of used virtual RAM and the third one shows the amount of errors per second.

The second one showed me my problem. As i putted the graphs on my second monitor and ran Tarkov, the virtual ram usage spiked while loading a map. At the moment  it reached 100%, Tarkov creashed.

But how can that be? My Windows-SSD had about 10 Gigabyte space left (it is 100 GB in total) and as i wrote earlier, Tarkov only used about 50-60% of my physical memory. Soooooo....

SOLUTION TL;DR;

I made more space on my Windows SSD. Simple as that. Either delete files yourself or let "Windows Disk Cleanup" do it. In my case, there were many old *.dmp and temporary files that used much space on my drive.

Reason behind this is, if you let Windows manage the pagefile it will always keep some space "reserved" for Windows to work. As it seems this is 10% of the drive. And if you do the math, thats exactly what happend: 10 GB left on my SSD which is about 100 GB big and therefore Windows refuses to make the pagefile/my virtual RAM bigger for Tarkov to operate. Tarkov crashed on reserve first, as it is the biggest map to load and after a while, something used more space on my Windows drive and all the other maps crashed, too.

Also, there is one other TEMPORARY solution which I DONT RECOMMEND but that could help to check if this is your problem in the first place: Manage the pagefile yourself. Because if you give it a custom size Windows wont reserve his 10% of the drive, which CAN CAUSE BIGGER PROBLEMS IN THE LONG RUN. So be careful! Just google "how to manage the pagefile manually" if you want to try that.

Thats what worked for me and i hope i this works for someone else who has this problem.

P.S.: As you might guessed, english isnt my first language, so iam sorry for any spelling mistakes...

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I just reinstalled my windows but my game still crashes on every single map other then factory . my specs are
I7-8700 3.2 ghz
1070 ti 8gb 
16 Gb ram
i have windows installed on a 120gb ssd, and tarkov on a different ssd that's 450gb

thank you so much! realized i had a bunch of copies of windows updates i needed to delete! glad i found this before i messed with the pagefile