Arctis 7 & having no idea where shots are coming from.

haydaman712

I never experienced a game that has some of the most crisp audio along with the most confusing. I'm aware that this game has audio problems in terms of above and below, shooting inside building etc... But my problem is with shots within 50 meters of me. It sounds ubiquitous. Often times I find myself spinning in circles to hear from a different angle and it all sounds like it could be from any direction. 

I'm using the Arctis 7 headset. I know there are many different customization sliders and options available so I was thinking that maybe the problem lies there. I've attached a snippet of the headset settings. Are there any options that I have checked off that could be contributing to this?

What about using DTS Sound Unbound?

TARKOV2.thumb.PNG.776f4bc7f5accc29fb83264ac24831ca.PNG

tarkov3.PNG

tarkov4.PNG

Edited by haydaman712
schubbey

for me it sounds like shots come from anywhere when im using those cheap headset from ragman (only with the cheapest, comtacs etc work fine) - do you use them too?

for the settings id recommend you to test it in offline mode so you shoot in scav direction with really good armor and high faceshield then you can see from where they are shooting and change some settings to test again

haydaman712
4 hours ago, GhostZ69 said:

Turn all simulated surround sound OFF.  STEREO only.

Will try. Appreciate it.

4 hours ago, schubbey said:

for me it sounds like shots come from anywhere when im using those cheap headset from ragman (only with the cheapest, comtacs etc work fine) - do you use them too?

for the settings id recommend you to test it in offline mode so you shoot in scav direction with really good armor and high faceshield then you can see from where they are shooting and change some settings to test again

Nope this is happening with Razor headsets.

GhostZ69
1 hour ago, haydaman712 said:

Will try. Appreciate it.

Nope this is happening with Razor headsets.

Oh, and if you really want to up your survival rate, buy the GSSH headphones, use them ALL the time.  Keep the in game volume as loud as you can with no music on.  You will hear every one before they hear you.

Turn DTS off, I use the same headset but wireless version. I swear DTS ruins spatial awareness through sound and it smudges the sound stage.

I also typically leave my EQs at 0 even though others swear by tweaking the EQ to make footsteps louder and other things quieter but that's honestly preference.

DTS off for competitive play or games where audio position is important. DTS on if you like the effect but play something more cinematic like single player games.

Also just like the other guys have said buy the in-game headsets like comtac or sordins etc. They amplify different sound stages in game to help hear footsteps better. check out this video for a technical review and guideline on what they do. 

I also forgot to chime in on a few other things, I leave dialogue enhancement, bass enhancement and dynamic range compression off. Again this can be personal preference but maybe give those a tweak as well. Go in offline mode to test out how the audio changes and see what works for you.

• 10 months later...
Deathicael

I think I found the real problem ... 

We have the wrong audio source set in Windows as default as the Arctus 7 has two different outputs, one that is called "Chat" and one that is called "Game" 

"Game" should be set to default because if you look in the Properties under Advanced it has 2 channels where as "Chat" only has 1 Channel. Meaning that we're hearing everything in mono not stereo and thats why everything sounds like its coming from everywhere and has no depth. 

After swapping these out and then enabling Binural sound in game I can hear where the hell shots and footsteps are coming from again, holy jeebus that was frustrating.

I know I'm responding to an almost year old post but I hope this saves someone else the headache of fighting with this problem or unnecessarily buying a new headset. 

ARC7_1.jpg

ARC7_2.jpg

ARC7_3.jpg

Edited by Deathicael
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
infertiletrash

HOLY COW I've been trying to fix it this for the past 2 days. Set game as the default and instantly started working. I honestly thought I was going crazy at first and that's how tarkov always sounded. 

AGAIN THANK YOU!

Shortstacker
On 4/14/2020 at 10:43 PM, GhostZ69 said:

Oh, and if you really want to up your survival rate, buy the GSSH headphones, use them ALL the time.  Keep the in game volume as loud as you can with no music on.  You will hear every one before they hear you.

You’ll also be deaf in real life inside of a week

paracelsus1981

Get yourself a good pair of Stereo headsets not this Gamer nonsense with fake 7.1 sound. I'd recommend AKG or BeyerDynamics with a proper soundcard that can fire them up. 600 Ohms are king. ;)

DoktorMurdok
Am 14.4.2020 um 22:20 schrieb GhostZ69:

Turn all simulated surround sound OFF.  STEREO only.

This one is the way to go. True for any shooter, by the way. 

You'll get way more precise directions, just turn your head a bit left and right when you hear something, your brain will put the pieces of information together. 

The sound in this game is f...ed, by the way. Died way to often from silent stairs and sound that came from the exact opposite direction. And it already got better than last wipe... Can't wait for the overhaul. 

Edit: Lol I replied to a year old thread. 

Edited by DoktorMurdok