Auvlen

Dev Tools and trainers?

Auvlen

So iv got into this topic on a few discussions already with no response from the developers and very mixed (very passionate) responses from other alpha testers and early access bambies.

There is a clear devide between those of us who want to alpha test and those who just want early content. I am the former. 

I have no issue with people paying a rediculous price to support the game development in exchange for a peek at the content. I just hate that those who are not here to use alpha for what its ment for have been prioritised. 

I would like to see tools or content provided durring the alpha phase that promote bug testing. There are several topics posted about using the bug reports function but no encouragement to test anything unless you grind as if you are a player.

It is important to test things as if you are a player but from a development standpoint the process becomes too slow if your play testers are limited in what they can test. IE: i played 20plus hours before finding my first saiga12g scav to be able to kill him and loot his body, shoot the gun enough to realise it was glitched, and spend the up until now finding what i can not be sure is all the available attachments for it to see how sights line up and what effects spread or damage... 20hrs to test something that in my projects i click on a menu and spawn a character in or run a script to add inventory. For those who are more math inclined than me it should be simple. That meens the proccess we are using to test is 200 times longer than it needs to be. And more so if you want to test the unicorn of an m4 or leprechaun of a dragnov svd.

This makes no sense to me and i would appreciate a response that does not treat me like a tiny child as i have 14years of experience in the industry. I can honestly say this is a trend in the free testing model im starting to see ruin games and i want to keep it from derailing this great gem. Lets just say i have a bit of history with the survival franchise and this titles dares to do things i only wish i could have incorporated into my work.

Just let us test and leave the grind for the final product. As i put it in another post "i already know the shotgun, knife, and handguns are all working fine." i havnt a clue what the damage model and grouping is like on an m4 yet because i havnt even got one to test in 2 days. Looking for one is not what im here to do. In here to pick it up right away and tell you if it works and if anything could be changed or bettered or giving feedback based off my real life experience with variation of the weapon and types of 5.56 cartidges iv tried through running through them. I cant do that if im restricted in time by things i get paid for and the only time i spend testing is repeatedly confirming the store is buggy and the scav weapons work fine with the exception of the saiga12 gauge. Iv replicated it dozens of times and im ready for you to give me something new after the patch that i can immediately test.

Edited by Auvlen
Refined and concluded to the best my phone can handle on a mobile app
  • Upvote 3

Cosantoir
3 minutes ago, Auvlen said:

I would like to see tools or content provided durring the alpha phase that promote bug testing. There are several topics posted about using the bug reports function but no encouragement to test anything unless you grind as if you are a player.

Out of interest what sort of tools are you looking for exactly?  I feel this statement may be too broad for most of the community to unite under. If we could agree we needed X,Y,Z available in the console for legitimate reasons maybe you could get better traction. 

Unless you get access to the staging environment I don't see the option to get much traction as I feel your general direction of the request is to either take away the competitive integrity by reducing the impact of loosing gear by making replacing your gear too easily obtainable. Additionally this would take away from the current test on the economy within the game and the trading system to do something that received its first pass through that lasted about 3 months already. 

While your suggestions make sense I feel that they contradict the core values of the game itself and hinder its overall development of core features to increase quality of life issues.

Auvlen
21 minutes ago, Cosantoir said:

Out of interest what sort of tools are you looking for exactly?  I feel this statement may be too broad for most of the community to unite under. If we could agree we needed X,Y,Z available in the console for legitimate reasons maybe you could get better traction. 

Unless you get access to the staging environment I don't see the option to get much traction as I feel your general direction of the request is to either take away the competitive integrity by reducing the impact of loosing gear by making replacing your gear too easily obtainable. Additionally this would take away from the current test on the economy within the game and the trading system to do something that received its first pass through that lasted about 3 months already. 

While your suggestions make sense I feel that they contradict the core values of the game itself and hinder its overall development of core features to increase quality of life issues.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Im looking for a basic trainer.  I use to work with alot of companies porting games from pc to console or vise versa back in the day when the engines were less versatile. Most games did in pre release and others like gearbox and bungie did it after a release on one platform was complete.

This would have been aproached in steps. 

If the econ needed testing in something than that would have been tested with a large some of money to buy anything and then as i was refined funds would be reduced.

As for your concern about taking awcompetative elements i understand your concern and fortunately battlestate had the right idea to make a pve offline testbed. I only suggest that it comes with a trainer to add whatever you want so you can test it and maybe let one other person join (when servers can handle more instancing) and when you exit to menu you loose said items you got in the trainer so as not to mess with pve tests

Edited by Auvlen
Im natorious for sloppy phone posts ;)

sYs

I do agree - the tools for testing are very limited.

What i would personally like to see are some simple commands in console. 

1) x y z coordinates

2) ability to go into 'pve or offline' match with group

3) freecam specator - for cinematics purposes and bug report screens.

There are a lot of bugs that cannot be tested safely in online mode. Countless time we have died while trying to test. Only solution is now to 'clear map' of enemy players. 

frag1e
vor 3 Minuten schrieb sYs:

You are right. An "offline" mode with other players would be nice for testing.

No AI, no rewards. Just for testing damagesystem, or what ever...

• Upvote 1

Auvlen

i see i was right to post a topic for this... thats a relief. i got so much grief everytime i brought this up because people instantly think im suggesting something that would obstruct the "playsters" and all the testers were confused at my lack of clarification lol

Auvlen
3 hours ago, sYs said:

I do agree - the tools for testing are very limited.

What i would personally like to see are some simple commands in console. 

1) x y z coordinates

3) freecam specator - for cinematics purposes and bug report screens.

There are a lot of bugs that cannot be tested safely in online mode. Countless time we have died while trying to test. Only solution is now to 'clear map' of enemy players. 

sorry for DP but i think you are on to something... i wonder if there are unreleased console commands that they wont give us due to them probably functioning in pvp online. It would make sense that battlestate have something at their disposal already since they are doing something to confirm these bugs.

sYs
1 minute ago, Auvlen said:

sorry for DP but i think you are on to something... i wonder if there are unreleased console commands that they wont give us due to them probably functioning in pvp online. It would make sense that battlestate have something at their disposal already since they are doing something to confirm these bugs.

Yes they have. It's called 'developers console' which is on their local build and you can see them using it in "Developer stream" they did back in the days. 

Auvlen
9 minutes ago, sYs said:

Yes they have. It's called 'developers console' which is on their local build and you can see them using it in "Developer stream" they did back in the days. 

on a parallel topic they could speed up the econ testing by adding something to pvp rewards like temporarily give us a percentage of money based on EXP and im sure it wouldnt be too game breaking if minimal enough. Your name kind of gave me the idea because i have done a couple of just strait "Runs" were i didnt touch any loot and just tested how long it took to traverse the map and the effect on food and water.

Can you confirm whether or not the stamina bar reaching into the red effects hunger and hydration more dramatically?  i did not complete my experiment yet.

Edited by Auvlen
on pc finaly and im almost as bad as my phone was...

sYs
1 hour ago, Auvlen said:

on a parallel topic they could speed up the econ testing by adding something to pvp rewards like temporarily give us a percentage of money based on EXP and im sure it wouldnt be too game breaking if minimal enough. Your name kind of gave me the idea because i have done a couple of just strait "Runs" were i didnt touch any loot and just tested how long it took to traverse the map and the effect on food and water.

Can you confirm whether or not the stamina bar reaching into the red effects hunger and hydration more dramatically?  i did not complete my experiment yet.

not that i noticed BUT if you had sustained heavy blood lose while in the raid - than your hydration drains faster but hence no effect on stamina. 

Auvlen
7 hours ago, sYs said:

not that i noticed BUT if you had sustained heavy blood lose while in the raid - than your hydration drains faster but hence no effect on stamina. 

Exciting that that level of detail is being implamented. Once again this is something that takes hours to test without a Trainer or console access... Cough cough... C'mon Battlestate. 

evilhomer007

Good call Auvlen! I would love to enter things like "noclip" command or have a special testing environment where I could see and manipulate fps, number AI scavs and some other things.

Is there a way to increase number of scav AI in a raid or have AI scavs automatically come to the players position?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks!

alex8xela

This is a great idea, personally I wouldn't be bothered to use it. But i think that Battlestate should really implement this into the game, be it as offline or online, it would definitely speed up the bug report progress.

I am intrigued as to what the 'console' is? I know in Contract Wars you could press f8 or `¬l button to open up a place to enter promo codes or see the kill feedwith lots of tech'y writing... So what is it in Escape From Tarkov?

(p.s I am waiting to buy this game on a steam sale, so I don't actually have the game at the moment.)

Ron_Burgundy

This would be great to use for alpha testing, but I do fear that it can be reverse engineered to create hacks for the game when it comes out.

Underhook

I have made a video on :shotgun testing" and "bullet drop"

The "bullet drop" video took me over 6 hours to make as I could not get the right time of day (lighting conditions).

So, for me, just to be able to select time of day would help a lot.  SO, yes I sympathise with the OP.

As far as reverse engineering for hacks........  I think they will make the hacks without too much trouble anyway.  Its the response to the hackers that's important and so far its been good

Auvlen
On 4/14/2017 at 7:09 AM, Underhook said:

I have made a video on :shotgun testing" and "bullet drop"

The "bullet drop" video took me over 6 hours to make as I could not get the right time of day (lighting conditions).

So, for me, just to be able to select time of day would help a lot.  SO, yes I sympathise with the OP.

As far as reverse engineering for hacks........  I think they will make the hacks without too much trouble anyway.  Its the response to the hackers that's important and so far its been good

lol i had exactly the same issues testing things. as for reverse engineering a Trainer there is a certain beuty in designing something were you know all of the code and what checksums need to be run to detect weather its being used or not.

i honestly think it would be time well spent to make one. Or at least open the console up in offline mode.. wich is already temporary anyways. 

Sushi

Would make a lot of sense to convert PvE into a sort of sandbox mode where you can grab any combination of gear, spawn any bots and just run around testing all the combinations of people / places / pewpews.