List game improvements & suggestions

Vortex_Bear

2 days in. Thus far, completely unplayable. According to my brother, building map knowledge is the key, but I do plan to play Scav mode with 20 minute delays and absolutely no idea where to go. This is just bad game design, and I honestly can't see a majority of people dedicating to weeks of learning extraction points to have even a chance of playing a round.

2 hours ago, Xixtor said:

2 days in. Thus far, completely unplayable. According to my brother, building map knowledge is the key, but I do plan to play Scav mode with 20 minute delays and absolutely no idea where to go. This is just bad game design, and I honestly can't see a majority of people dedicating to weeks of learning extraction points to have even a chance of playing a round.

This game has a steep learning curve, I suggest to learn the maps, learn the hotspots and how to navigate through and around them, learn the extraction points, learn about the important loot spots, etc... and eventually you'll get the hang of it and enjoy the thrill. Not knowing anything and experiencing the game from fresh is the greatest experience you'll have in this game, especially since it has never been better than it is now.

Please just be aware that this topic is intended for the discussion of suggestions and improvements of very specific features of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

-Allow looting of containers while in prone position or lower than crouched position (current prone looting is possible by tapping the prone key after the use key)
-Implement feature to allow grenade throw strength, the longer you hold mouse 1 button the further you throw the grenade, instead of always throwing it the furthest distance by default. This would also make shorter grenade throws possible without having to keybind the grenade first and also make grenades slightly slower to use.

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2020 at 5:34 PM, Vortex_Bear said:

I have been playing Tarkov since about the end of 2017, having had multiple 45+ level characters playing both single and in squads, and I have been keeping track of my own list of logical gameplay additions, quality of life improvements and suggestions that I want to provide to the devs here. I believe that these will further improve upon the game, all while enhancing the feel for realism and never contradicting the lore of the game in any way. At least I was very mindful of it and I appreciate your the opportunity and your attention in this matter.

• Possibility to combine meds of the same tpye, for example 2x AI-2s with 50/100 should be able to be combined to either 1x 100/100 AI-2 or a slightly less durability item like 90/100. Combining meds during a raid should have a timer similar to how it is with loading in bullets. The issue at the moment is that meds can not be replenished in any way, so players constantly have to sell partially used meds and obtain new meds between every raid. In the case of playing as a player scav, a player might end up having 3-4 partially used meds that take up additional space.

• CMS Kits right now are too overpowered. I suggest reducing the ability to heal a blacked out limb to a single use per limb as a last resort option when a limb is blacked out.

• Currently it is possible to switch the fire mode of a weapon entirely without making any noise. This is done by first check fire mode and then switching the fire mode during the fire mode checking animation. There will be absolutely no sound with doing it this way. This shouldn't be possible as the fire mode switching animation and sound are entirely bypassed.

• The fire mode can be switched multiple times repeatedly within the cycle of a single animation by spamming the command. The correct behavior should be that the fire mode can only be switched once per animation even when the command is spammed.

• Currently the optics and scopes have entirely transparent glasses which is not always the case with their real life counterparts. For example Trijicon sights and others such as the P1X, etc... use a tinted coating on the glass which as far as I understand is used to make the reticle more visible. Can you ensure that these are more closely reflecting their real life counterparts? These sights could then have some additional bonus for balance.

• Flashlights are entirely horrible at the moment and need to be tweaked. They often do not help to aid in visibility in dark areas, but usually only blind the character who uses it the most. In squads I usually most often use flashlights to aid a team member with visibility, because the flashlight only blinds the character who uses it and not the team members around it, even if they all look into the same direction.

• A game option should be provided that prevents the FOV from changing when looking through close range optics and iron sights. Currently these provide some magnification or FOV change that I know to some players find to be distracting or make target acquisition harder.

• Separate grenade keybinds for frag, flash & smoke are a logical addition that the game requires for these items to be more meaningful instead of having PMCs mostly only carry frag grenades. At the moment when carrying a mix of all three it is impossible to know which item is being used when the grenade command is used. Separate keybinds will make it possible to use a combination of flashes, smoke and frags more effectively and will make for more strategic fights.

• Mag Check & Reload system needs to be changed slightly. When checking the magazine in a gun the PMC should not automatically reload the same mag but wait for user input instead with the mag held in the hand. Left click could be re-inserting the same magazine back into the gun while using the reload command would switch to the fullest magazine available instead.

• Option to select optics reticle, flashlight& laser mode as well as ranging before entering a raid. Usually every time a PMC loads into a raid, time needs to be used right away to set ranging and select the preferred reticle. This is not very realistic as a PMC would be sure to prepare these before going into a mission.

• Ability to vault/climb over small to medium height obstacles, even when legs are fractured and no pain killers are taken.

• Stumbling when jumping from large heights, especially with increased weight to prevent people from taking morphine, jumping down multiple floors and immediately be able to engage an enemy straight away without any consequences. Even if the character only takes a few seconds to regain his stance and makes a loud sound when stumbling this would be a lot better with preventing “Super Mario” play styles such as some streamers often like to play the game.

• Sometimes in-game items spawn in weird positions, clipping through cupboards or other items or hovering unrealistically in mid air, breaking game immersion.

• Some items do have weird view settings when looked at in the item inspector, in some cases making it even entirely impossible to examine the item visually.

• Ability to delete pending friend requests is required, especially with how easy it is to send requests when purchasing items from the flee market.

• Ability to see all items put on the flee market in one tab, in addition to only seeing meds, equipment, provisions, etc...

• Move notifications such as an fleemarket item sold, bitcoin mined or scav box notifications into the menu, as these usually have a very loud volume and can be incredibly distracting or even causing jump scares during a raid.

• Remove hideout center dot when icons are disabled.

• Disassemble option needs to remove ammo from gun and mag as well. It's annoying that this has to be done by the user manually each time.

• Any ammo left inside mags should come back from insurance as well.

• Armbands other than white color are very hard to see, the other colors need to be more visible.

• Additional ways of team identification needs to be implemented such as different color chemlights or visipads, mounted to a body armor, helmet or backpack, to be used separately or in combination with arm bands.

• Main menu music cuts off abruptly when loading into a raid, could instead be faded off.

• Animations and time duration for food and drinks should be increased towards 4 or 5 full cycles of the animations. Right now some food cuts the animation just as the PMC attempts to take out some more food, it should be stopped more cleanly right after the PMC has eaten his the last bit. Also duration are a bit too short at the moment. PMCs should be required to take real cover to eat and drink.

• Full trader names should be shown when hovering the mouse over the “?” icon.

• Flee market should need to be be unlocked through a quest that becomes available at lvl 15.

• Flee market should require generators to be working in the hideout in order to have the ability to access it and offer and purchase items.

• Ability to only sell loot found in raid through flee market. Run through system needs to be tweaked slightly for PMCs engaging in battle, such as when playing in squads, where sometimes enemies are hit but not killed an entire raid.

• Ability to use food, drinks and meds directly from the game world without needing to pick up the item first.

• Items picked up should never move into the vest first but always into backplacks first, pockets second and vest at the last, to prevent PMCs mag dropping upon reloading the gun because a random item got put into the vest when there is space left elsewhere.

• Not using money from secured container or inside wallets or sicc containers for any repairs, flee market or trader purchases. It is very annoying when the money is missing when it was dedicated for in-raid paid extractions.

• Show Raiders and Bosses as “Raider” and “Boss” in the after action report, and later also UN fighters and occultists as their own factions.

• Show player scavs as “Scav Player” in the after action report.

• Paracord extractions should require a longer duration such as 15 seconds and have a weight limit as well. Right now it's too over powered.

• Reward geared players with an exp multiplier or some other bonus to encourage players using equipment instead of loading in with just a hatchet or pistol. Have systems in place that slightly reward geared players instead of only thinking about punishing hatchlings - needs to be thought of and approached in both ways.

• Backpacks should all have different slot layouts and roles that tie in with the weight system. For example some big backpacks could have less big slots and more smaller slot sections to allow for less big loot to be taken but at the same provide some weight relief instead, to allow for more smaller loot to be carried more efficiently or with less speed and stamina penalty.

• Scav player and PMC timelines should be slightly asynchronous. For example when player scavs load into the game the PMCs could have 10-15 minutes remaining while player scavs have another 25-30 minutes remaining in the same raid. This will prevent PMCs from getting bombarded with 4-man player scav gangs shooting them with mosins at still 40-30 minutes left in the raid and also let scavs really be about scavenging the map for leftover loot.

• In addition to the previous point, player scav extractions could be locked entirely until the PMC extractions are already closed, to ensure player scavs are staying in the whole duration while PMCs are still around, instead of having them extract directly after spawning with a key card or killing another player scav or PMC and going right for extraction.

• Player scav extractions should also be entirely different from PMC extractions on Interchange.

• A dynamic loot spawn system needs to be introduced to prevent people from always rushing the same locations for the same type of loot and to encourage PMCs to more actively search for loot. This will also prevent the game from becoming stale and prevent predicting PMC movements to some extent.

• VOIP should at the very least be implemented for squad play with 3d sound placement within the game world, which will help to provide additional means of identifying team members from enemy targets. There could be proximity sound for a specific close range distance and radios for anything that is beyond that range.

• All trader items including low level items should have some reasonable purchasing limits. These limited items should then be available to each player to prevent other players from purchasing all supplies.

• Trader Blackout: Each trader should occasionally at random become unavailable for a random amount of time anywhere from an hour up to a whole day, but never all traders becoming unavailable all at the same time like it was tested in a pre-wipe event (although there could be occasions where all traders could become unavailable in case their downtime would cross into each other for a shorter amount of time). During this time period the trader will not be accessible, and quests will not be able to be accepted, turned in or finished.

• A real war zone would not provide the ability for free trade without limits, as escalations would in some cases prevent trading all together and even put traders in dangerous situations. Right now traders feel like supermarkets with almost infinite availability on all items and it hurts the game as the survival aspect is diminished.

There could be different reasons for a traders becoming unavailable, such as trade routes being cut off, a trader being directly attacked, a pandemic breakout, affecting some traders in different ways when the trader becomes available again.

In the case of an attack, it could take some time for all items to become available again. For example lvl 1 trader items could become available immediately, while lvl 2, 3 and 4 items have different random time amounts for becoming available again. This could be due to the trader requiring to re-stock items after an attack on his trading operation.

A pandemic breakout could effect how food and meds are being traded or their availability afterwards and an escalation close to the trader would afterwards directly cause him to resume his business as usual.

The way to do this correctly is to make it so that it doesn't become an annoyance but to occasionally provide some element of uncertainty to the trading, requiring players to stock up on items such as provisions, meds, weapons, etc... and to be more mindful of which items to keep as there is always a possibility of a blackout to happen.

Further the game devs would have to balance trading items across traders, for example having Peacekeeper provide bandages, and low level meds as well (as he used to do some wipes ago), to be used as an alternative in case Therapist is unavailable. What this will also do is to dynamically change the value of items depending on which trader is affected, as well as changing the flee market and loot behavior of the players.

Further low level weapons might also need to be used even as a high level player, in case high level weapons are not readily available, to shake up the game and prevent high level players at the endgame from only running the best available gear. This will also change the game for low level players competing against high level players and be a bit of a balancing factor between these players.

Hey I'm not sure where else to post this and I see you put alot of detail into your suggestions so I thought I'd run this by you so what would you think about a sorting system for the questing page as a newer player I find myself scrolling back threw the quest to find what I need to be doing and tend to miss stuff and end up not bringing enough markers or just flat out missing a quest that might mean needing a suppressor for my weapon or mean I have to rerun that map again so I was wondering what people thought about a  sorting system or at least a highlight button that brought the quest you were focusing on to the top I know it would help hugely for newer players who don't know the game as well and struggle to keep up with the mid to later game quest lines sound like an alright idea? Let me know what you think I would love to hear you feed back 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, bingo_dingo said:

Hey I'm not sure where else to post this and I see you put alot of detail into your suggestions so I thought I'd run this by you so what would you think about a sorting system for the questing page as a newer player I find myself scrolling back threw the quest to find what I need to be doing and tend to miss stuff and end up not bringing enough markers or just flat out missing a quest that might mean needing a suppressor for my weapon or mean I have to rerun that map again so I was wondering what people thought about a  sorting system or at least a highlight button that brought the quest you were focusing on to the top I know it would help hugely for newer players who don't know the game as well and struggle to keep up with the mid to later game quest lines sound like an alright idea? Let me know what you think I would love to hear you feed back 

I appreciate you participating in this topic and your question. The quests have actually been a lot more organized than what it used to be, but you are right in that it could be even better. For example being able, while in the menu, to sort quests by map, type, trader or level of completion.

The quest are now being sorted better while in raid, but in the menu it is still as it used to be, and it also happens to me occasionally that I overlook a quest.

PS: Maybe quest locations, in order to help newer players, could also roughly be marked on the maps that you can purchase. I know that most people use the wiki to find quest locations, but it would be way cooler to have some general quest locations be added to, or highlighted on the maps, so these also have some use in the game.

Edited by Vortex_Bear
Typo

9 hours ago, Vortex_Bear said:

but it would be way cooler to have some general quest locations be added to, or highlighted on the maps, so these also have some use in the game.

Yes, they could do a lot of really interesting things with in-game maps!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

-Door states should be completely randomized, it's so easy for any experienced player to tell if someone came through an area, or is still present in the area, by seeing if a door is closed or opened other than the default state.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

-Fix the issue where when you are dropping multiple items for a quest at the same location, after you dropped an item you either have to walk away from the location and come back or press tab and exit the menu, for the prompt to re-appear to drop the next item.

-Karma could be made so that it never stays constant, always slowly moving back to neutral over a longer period of time. This would prevent people from continually exploiting good karma and people getting stuck with negative karma.

• Like 1

-In order to shake up the maps a little bit I suggest having multiple versions of each map with some small differences. For example these versions could have some doors that are usually always open blocked off completely by garbage requiring to take another way around or shutting off entire sections of the map, previously un-openable doors being able to be opened with rooms and loot behind them, crates and miscellaneous objects could be moved slightly or new ones placed to create new points you can have cover from and have different angles to observe an area from, maybe even some visual changes such as footprints and dirt tracks showing some scavs having pulled equipment through the mall with a pallet transporter, new and unique points of interests such as a new cargo shipments having arrived (for example in front of the customs office and inside interchange loading bay), scav tents inside the mall or placed around woods and shoreline, malfunctioning or blinking lights in certain sections, portable lights being placed in different spots, having a variation where reshala could be on interchange coming over from customs, a chance of single raider spawns on some versions in various places, loot containers being placed in different spots, loot spawns being changed slightly, adding improvised un and terra group mobile bases, maybe even a christmas themed interchange version decorated by scavs, only being available during the christmas period.

There are so many possibilities to be creative with it and this feature could go a long way to prevent raids from becoming stale and predictable by always introducing some elements of change as the state of the map would change each raid (as the map variations would randomly cycle), preventing people from always running exactly the same route and even having to be more careful in combat as an entire hallway could be blocked off by a fire or random items, in case you want to run away from a fight, ending up in a dead end if you are not careful.

This would probably be more relevant for in-door maps, which could have more versions, compared to outdoor maps maybe having two or three different versions. This feature could also be used as a tool for story telling in combination with storyline quests and having the map change accordingly in some ways.

• Like 1

Love it @Vortex_Bear and @RACWAR!

We could even take it one step further. Different map routes and situations, on steroids :) This is from back in May of 2019, so bear in mind things were a bit different back then...

EDIT7: Piggybacking a bit off of u/delu_'s idea of "setting up" the map...

What if certain high-risk tasks provided some level of backup for the player in order to complete? For example...

Ragman:

"Hey, I've got another one for you. This one is big. Very difficult. I need you to break into the Kiba store and place a tracking beacon on a shipment of supplies. You'll have to blow the door with this charge. Don't worry about Killa, we've already disabled the alarm. You've got ten minutes. I'll have my best guards on map providing support. We'll get you close, drop you off in a van in the parking garage, and provide some overwatch. After 10 minutes, though, all bets are off and my guys are pulling out. If for whatever reason you don't make it out, we never had this discussion and this whole deal never happened. What do you say?"

And then, on the map, certain blockades and/or flairs could be set in the mall, as a means of cordoning off the area (and hinting to others that something "special" is afoot). Maybe some high level scavs are stationed at certain areas to deter players (stationary machine gun mounts, possibly?).

• Upon map start, the player would spawn within the mall, in the parking garage, near a blacked out van.
  • Other players, upon joining the raid, would receive a message from Ragman along the lines of, "Hey, I've got a guy running something important for me. Don't get in the way. Kiba's off-limits for the first 10 minutes. If you do kill him, though, bring me back his beacon and I'll clue you in." (See EDIT2)
  • During the first 10 minutes (while the mission is underway), Ragman's guards would serve as a sort of "third-party" to the fighting. They'd engage both Scavs and PMC's while being friendly to you/your squad.

Taken from here: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know does anyone suggest about this or not.

It is my opinion about lab shouldn't be map that player can play over and over. It like an special dungeon on MMORPG games that guarantee drop some endgame item but player can storm it all day 24/7 if you have money to buy a key for it.

It should be like you can play it 1 or 2 times per week and it will reset every monday or something like that to limited player to get too much and too soon end game item.

Even in the end some people still stockpile item from lab but at least it could be good to decress the number of high gear item that player can stock per week.

Another QOL is when player hit "sort" in case at stash all same item like ammo/ money that can stack could be stack themself like I have 2 stacks of 250000 roubles in my money case when I hit sort thoese 2 stacks will combine to be 1 stack of 500000 roubles but found in raid ammo will not combine will non found in raid because player migh want to sell it in flea market.

Edited by MasaruSanji

This is well thought out.  There are some good ideas in here, some ideas I dislike/think should not happen, but overall decent.  A number of the bullet points have already been addressed (or are in the process of being addressed).  Maybe this thread should be remade in a more concise version?  With only the changes that have yet to be made? 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 7:11 PM, Datvivar said:

This is well thought out.  There are some good ideas in here, some ideas I dislike/think should not happen, but overall decent.  A number of the bullet points have already been addressed (or are in the process of being addressed).  Maybe this thread should be remade in a more concise version?  With only the changes that have yet to be made? 

I appreciate it and I'm doing my best to come up with ideas that would help to improve the game and it's atmosphere, and I try to be mindful of that.

Unfortunately it is not possible that I edit my earlier posts and even just cross through some of the already implemented suggestions, and I'm way too busy these days to even take note of what has been implemented and what hasn't, to create an updated topic. As you can see the thread has been going for quite a while and I'm glad that some of the suggestions here have found their way into the game in some form.

• Like 2

I just saw a video about weapon jamming, and thought that it could be better if you can check/clear a malfunction so that you can plan ahead. So it no longer becomes a random thing that happens, but instead  it would be a game of risk management. Finding the times to check for a malfunction, or thinking about if the check worth it or should you just switch to your secondary if you do encounter a jam. Instead of implementing a mechanic for realism you can make it add further depth and player expression. Some players might choose to check before every engagement, some may not care. It'll also help a little bit with role playing. Just thought I would post something so the thought doesn't stay forever in my head.

• Like 1

I think that adding some kind of custom categories for wish list would be nice.
For example I would like to have cat. called HK416 and all mods for HK416 that i like in it.
That would certainly help me navigate through my wish list which is complete mess right now 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-With the raid ID now being unique to the player, I don't understand what function it now has anymore. Allow players to disable/remove the game version and raid ID display all together.

-Please remove center dot in hideout, it is not needed and feels out of place in a "hardcore" type game.

-Add pre-load option for trader items and on map loot. Sometimes gun attachments don't load at all, which makes it harder to loot weapon parts from guns in raid, as there are no visual clues to which gun part is located in which box, requiring the player to either go by visible text or to double click various cells for more information.

3 minutes ago, Vortex_Bear said:

-With the raid ID now being unique to the player, I don't understand what function it now has anymore. Allow players to disable/remove the game version and raid ID display all together.

IIRC, the raid ID helps the devs identify issues, etc. If a player posts a screenshot or video, they can use the raid ID to find the server instance and its related logs, etc.

5 minutes ago, Vortex_Bear said:

-Add pre-load option for trader items and on map loot. Sometimes gun attachments don't load at all, which makes it harder to loot weapon parts from guns in raid, as there are no visual clues to which gun part is located in which box, requiring the player to either go by visible text or to double click various cells for more information.

I wonder how this might affect certain cheats? Would possibly pre-loading assets make it easier to identify what is on the map? (Just thinking out loud here, I don't know either way)

• Like 1

-Some of the available crafting options in the hideout are hard to navigate, like the workbench that takes a lot of scrolling to find the option in question. I suggest to add categories to the crafting options, similar to how the flee market has items grouped into categories, that you then can browse through more efficiently, for example these could be ammo, provisions, medical treatment, barter items, etc...

• Upvote 1