Sign in to follow this  
Shishiaha

Thoughts : What it became.

Shishiaha

Hello !

I own this game since the all beginning in 2016, got my hands on it since Alpha. And wan't to share my experience on what it became. I know every game has to changes and communities too, but on this subject, i feel tarkov went back on quality since 2018.

Now that streamers and all their park of viewers are on the game and the cascade of TTV everywhere, the game changed it's essence from a hardcore shooter where life matters to a hardcore CoD. Since 2016, i haven't noticed any big improvement with the engine in its core (except the unity update, and sounds), nor did i on new content. The game really didn't improved much, and just by looking back on Hired Ops, there is still not that much really new.

The worst part is about servers, we are 4 years ahead of the start, and we still have to wait stupid amount of time to be in-game, shots are still registered badly, and people are still abusing. We still have the same bugs (like that one blocking on discarding a weapon), and this time again, i cannot see any real improvement of the game. There is still no creative solution to it, like launching a game even if max players are not reached after 5 minutes, or whatever (PMC count does not really need to be reach now with Scav players).

I don't know if others will share my thoughts on this subject and i totally understand those who like what it became with more action, but i'm feeling a bit nostalgic of 2018. Tried to make this thread for sharing opinions, not whining.

Have fun on this new season !

• Upvote 3

Saws_n_Sins

I just wish the game would start after 5 minutes no matter if it found other PMCs or not. Unless I que for customs it seems every map for the past 2 days I'm forced to wait like 10 minutes just to find a match. Some people in other parts of the world report they have to wait like 20 minutes every match. Sure playing PvP is fun and all if it actually finds players, but I would much rather at least just be able to play the game rather than sit there and stare at the screen while it looks for a match for 10+ minutes. That adds up, after like 4 or 5 raids you have sat for maybe an hour all together just waiting for a match

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Slander
3 hours ago, Saws_n_Sins said:

I just wish the game would start after 5 minutes no matter if it found other PMCs or not. Unless I que for customs it seems every map for the past 2 days I'm forced to wait like 10 minutes just to find a match. Some people in other parts of the world report they have to wait like 20 minutes every match. Sure playing PvP is fun and all if it actually finds players, but I would much rather at least just be able to play the game rather than sit there and stare at the screen while it looks for a match for 10+ minutes. That adds up, after like 4 or 5 raids you have sat for maybe an hour all together just waiting for a match

I might be wrong here, but isn't the wait time cause all servers are full at the moment. Not the lack of players.

• Like 1

Shishiaha
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Slander said:

I might be wrong here, but isn't the wait time cause all servers are full at the moment. Not the lack of players.

It must be, wich is no excuse since 4 years of the same issue, networking is still in the same poor state. Puting down a limit of 2-5 minute to launch the game in the actual matching would correct that even if there are less than max players.

Edited by Shishiaha

Slander
1 hour ago, Shishiaha said:

It must be, wich is no excuse since 4 years of the same issue, networking is still in the same poor state. Puting down a limit of 2-5 minute to launch the game in the actual matching would correct that even if there are less than max players.

Idk what you mean really. The networking is nowhere near the state it was a couple of years ago. Still isnt good, but much much better.

Forcing a match to start wont work if there is no available servers to join. As in all servers are already populated by players.

Shishiaha
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Slander said:

Idk what you mean really. The networking is nowhere near the state it was a couple of years ago. Still isnt good, but much much better.

Forcing a match to start wont work if there is no available servers to join. As in all servers are already populated by players.

You have no idea of what you are talking about. You don't have a clue about what is causing the issue. It could be a server thread number limit as you mention, it could be networking issue with master server, it could be network rooting overload, and a thousand of other issues.

With 4 years of networking trouble, you have plenty of time to find the issue and correct it. Selling game at more than 100 bucks for EoS, gives you the opportunity to easily invests in servers, and looking at how the engine and assets was more than partially taken over Hired Ops, costs have been lowered in dev plan. You can be surprised the firsts months with a lot of players coming in, but after 4 years, any networker know and can predict what servers will be needed at what time and manage clusters.

ATM it's way worse than back in 2018, and worse than Alpha (but Alpha was far less populated in 2016, so yeah, no point). In 2018 i had no issues like this, no shots so badly registered, no freeze all over the menu, no servers lost ingame (3 times in one game today), no rollback, i could go on but my point is done.

So yeah, forcing the game to start could be a solution if, and only if, the initial issue is about matching players together and linking region domain with master server. It's only an exemple demonstrating that nothing was made in 4 years when it's enough to find solutions.

Don't get me wrong, i like this game, but if i look at what was available at Hired Ops time, what was in 2016 (you started one year after if your account is right), and what is now, i don't feel devs are comfortable enough with the engine except for using editor and tweaking.

Edited by Shishiaha
  • Upvote 1

Slander
13 hours ago, Shishiaha said:

You have no idea of what you are talking about. You don't have a clue about what is causing the issue. It could be a server thread number limit as you mention, it could be networking issue with master server, it could be network rooting overload, and a thousand of other issues.

With 4 years of networking trouble, you have plenty of time to find the issue and correct it. Selling game at more than 100 bucks for EoS, gives you the opportunity to easily invests in servers, and looking at how the engine and assets was more than partially taken over Hired Ops, costs have been lowered in dev plan. You can be surprised the firsts months with a lot of players coming in, but after 4 years, any networker know and can predict what servers will be needed at what time and manage clusters.

ATM it's way worse than back in 2018, and worse than Alpha (but Alpha was far less populated in 2016, so yeah, no point). In 2018 i had no issues like this, no shots so badly registered, no freeze all over the menu, no servers lost ingame (3 times in one game today), no rollback, i could go on but my point is done.

So yeah, forcing the game to start could be a solution if, and only if, the initial issue is about matching players together and linking region domain with master server. It's only an exemple demonstrating that nothing was made in 4 years when it's enough to find solutions.

Don't get me wrong, i like this game, but if i look at what was available at Hired Ops time, what was in 2016 (you started one year after if your account is right), and what is now, i don't feel devs are comfortable enough with the engine except for using editor and tweaking.

I know I dont thats why I used " I might be wrong" and "if" in my sentences. Cause I just offered one theory of the problem.

When it comes to the networking I rarely see ppl lagging or desync atm. Atleast not near how bad it was when I started playing. So in my opinion they have come a long way. Even if there is plenty more to do. 

With that said, there is so much poo added into the game that I dont play it so much anymore. The hardcore feeling and fear disappeared with the introduction of certain elements that I got bored. So those who play more might find more issues than I do. I play to around lvl 20 every reset atm. 

• Like 1

Shishiaha
Posted (edited)

Would be nice to hear a word about this issue from devs, and know what solution could apply.

Or just wait Shroud and others influencers say it as they are the only one devs are listening.

Edited by Shishiaha

Did117
7 minutes ago, Shishiaha said:

Would be nice to hear a word about this issue from devs, and know what solution could apply.

Or just wait Shroud and others influencers say it as they are the only one devs are listening.

True, but what is really sad is that:

1- they don't play their own game

2- they don't beta test the beta version they launch with each patch (LOL), "add features now fix the later!"

3- streamers serve no one but themselves

4- BSG treats it's own forums like a gulag and prefers twitch, reddit and other websites because it brings in more people

esswasim
On 6/1/2020 at 3:38 AM, Slander said:

Basically it is both, either way you will have very high matching time

On 5/31/2020 at 11:47 PM, Shishiaha said:

Hello !

I own this game since the all beginning in 2016, got my hands on it since Alpha. And wan't to share my experience on what it became. I know every game has to changes and communities too, but on this subject, i feel tarkov went back on quality since 2018.

Now that streamers and all their park of viewers are on the game and the cascade of TTV everywhere, the game changed it's essence from a hardcore shooter where life matters to a hardcore CoD. Since 2016, i haven't noticed any big improvement with the engine in its core (except the unity update, and sounds), nor did i on new content. The game really didn't improved much, and just by looking back on Hired Ops, there is still not that much really new.

The worst part is about servers, we are 4 years ahead of the start, and we still have to wait stupid amount of time to be in-game, shots are still registered badly, and people are still abusing. We still have the same bugs (like that one blocking on discarding a weapon), and this time again, i cannot see any real improvement of the game. There is still no creative solution to it, like launching a game even if max players are not reached after 5 minutes, or whatever (PMC count does not really need to be reach now with Scav players).

I don't know if others will share my thoughts on this subject and i totally understand those who like what it became with more action, but i'm feeling a bit nostalgic of 2018. Tried to make this thread for sharing opinions, not whining.

You forgot to mention increase in the number of hackers in game.... The real problem this patch for me is quest items, When I find a quest item after lot of search, If I die to hacker even if I had my quest item in Gamma becomes useless, knowing there are so many hackers yet BSG decided to screw normal players over. Regarding the quality of game it is getting worse by the day. I dont care about amount of guns. 

shighty

I logged on today 20 minutes ago to get the 2nd prapor mission done in woods. Came in with a PSO AK74, soon as I started aiming it down I started getting heavy fps issues. I already knew at that point it was gonna get me killed, and it did. No surprise there, I wasn't even mad, I was just laughing at the sad state this excuse of a game is in right now. Think I'm done again for a while. 

AzureChimes
1 hour ago, Shishiaha said:

This right here.

Shishiaha

Just right now, stopped a matching at 10 minutes on London server for a Factory. London...

AdhesiveTeflon
On 6/2/2020 at 11:41 AM, Did117 said:

True, but what is really sad is that:

1- they don't play their own game

2- they don't beta test the beta version they launch with each patch (LOL), "add features now fix the later!"

3- streamers serve no one but themselves

4- BSG treats it's own forums like a gulag and prefers twitch, reddit and other websites because it brings in more people

Pretty much this.  The very apparent issue that there's zero testing before any updates and communication shows that the devs have zero project management knowledge.  Regardless if this is a beta or not, devs need to make sure the game at least works before anything is released.  What's worse is when they state that bugs are fixed when they're not.  Still waiting on the armor bug to be fixed that was reported 2 years ago.

Not to mention the mods on this forum will lock or delete any threads that are remotely negative towards the devs and game.

Zyfer
3 minutes ago, AdhesiveTeflon said:

Not to mention the mods on this forum will lock or delete any threads that are remotely negative towards the devs and game.

That trend really is worrying, some of the mods give BSG an even worse image than they have already.

LenzOA
On 5/31/2020 at 11:47 PM, Shishiaha said:

There is still no creative solution to it, like launching a game even if max players are not reached after 5 minutes, or whatever (PMC count does not really need to be reach now with Scav players).

i think the servers are full. between 19:00 - 23:00 i have 8-15 min matching, after that the time goes down to 0 - 2 min. in the morning after 3:00 i never have matching.

RainmakerM4

Yeah everyone plays now. In a few days 60% of people will quit anyway then matchmaking is back to normal. Its getting better even right now. I had 2 to 5 min matching time which is good.

thefirst1nvad3r

Every time I play i have to wait around 5-10 minutes to enter in a raid. Then I costantly get kicked from server for no reason (ping is green, internet works fine); sometimes I can try again, sometimes I lost all my gear like if I was killed. It's frustrating, Basically I can't play anymore or if I do I have to spend 1 hour just for a single raid.

Is this the state of the game after 4 years of development?

Shishiaha
Posted (edited)

It's not getting better. In fact whatever server i play, i have to wait 3 to 5 minutes to launch a game, up to 15 minutes. We are looking at our keyboard for hours per day just waiting. And now, after a raid, i get stuck on loading for ages with menu freezes. This is getting worse.

Servers aren't all full, i play day and night, and i test every ones. I just know matching is shorter when the server time (in its region) is beetween 2am and 7am only (seems to be a rule).

Edited by Shishiaha

clockwork71

I still can't even get the game to start. This is a typical Russian scam it seems.

Stadniuk
On 5/31/2020 at 12:47 PM, Shishiaha said:

Hello !

As a player who is not as old as you but been playing for a couple years now I have to disagree with you. Some aspects have improved a lot, others still need a little work but have improved a little:

- Weapons and gear: They added and keep adding lots of new stuff

- Maps: Development could be faster, but still added a couple very nice maps, and even a bonus one(Labs)

- Anticheat: Some could say that this hasn't improved a lot, but with the huge increase in players is to be expected a big increment in cheaters, BSG implemented BattleEye and keeps trying to fight cheaters everyday.

- Content/Mechanics: They added the hideout, flea market, healing animations, it would be amazing to see bigger and more advanced mechanics like karma system, and RPG elements (leveling up determined weapons, USECs being more proficient with M4s and stuff)

-Engine/bugs: I think the game is in a pretty good state right now, very responsive. It's true that there are many bugs and some of there really old, but compared with what it used to be it's fine. Performance keeps getting better with every patch, but stills needs a lot of work.

-QoL: A few improvements here and there, still needs lot of work I think. 

Some stuff that needs adressing or improvements on the backend (inviting friends, loading after a raid and other stuff takes forever to load), bigger and better servers in most regions, of course the Anticheat, netcode improvements, map design (spawns) and other gameplay aspects.

All this from the top of my head, I'm 100% sure that I'm forgetting lots of stuff that they added and a lot more that still needs to get fixed, but saying that the game is in the same state as two or three years ago it's just not true.

Shishiaha
4 minutes ago, Stadniuk said:

As a player who is not as old as you but been playing for a couple years now I have to disagree with you. Some aspects have improved a lot, others still need a little work but have improved a little:

- Weapons and gear: They added and keep adding lots of new stuff

- Maps: Development could be faster, but still added a couple very nice maps, and even a bonus one(Labs)

- Anticheat: Some could say that this hasn't improved a lot, but with the huge increase in players is to be expected a big increment in cheaters, BSG implemented BattleEye and keeps trying to fight cheaters everyday.

- Content/Mechanics: They added the hideout, flea market, healing animations, it would be amazing to see bigger and more advanced mechanics like karma system, and RPG elements (leveling up determined weapons, USECs being more proficient with M4s and stuff)

-Engine/bugs: I think the game is in a pretty good state right now, very responsive. It's true that there are many bugs and some of there really old, but compared with what it used to be it's fine. Performance keeps getting better with every patch, but stills needs a lot of work.

-QoL: A few improvements here and there, still needs lot of work I think. 

Some stuff that needs adressing or improvements on the backend (inviting friends, loading after a raid and other stuff takes forever to load), bigger and better servers in most regions, of course the Anticheat, netcode improvements, map design (spawns) and other gameplay aspects.

All this from the top of my head, I'm 100% sure that I'm forgetting lots of stuff that they added and a lot more that still needs to get fixed, but saying that the game is in the same state as two or three years ago it's just not true.

All the point you noted are valid for Modders, not developpers. This was my initial point, they are good modding and using map editor with assets already available on Hired Ops. For weapons, most are already in Hired Ops, and some coming are already too.

Tweaking with server settings is not developping.

Alpha back, game was already responsive.

So, in fact, you agree with me, maybe on another level at least.

I have nothing against this devs as i play this game since 4 years, but i cannot say content is coming in, i don't even talk about their roadmap and promises, i think the game is playable since the start and always was prepared just for that. It will never leave beta, at least not soon, and i don't see myself playing this for another 4 years with so little changes. That's why streamers coming in was an opportunity to them. They needed a fresh audience.

Stadniuk
5 minutes ago, Shishiaha said:

So, in fact, you agree with me, maybe on another level at least.

Gotta say you have a few points there, but... I don't think there are so many assets imported from Hired Ops, and most of them are way lower res than in EFT.  Tweaking servers may not be developing but it's really needed in the current game to be playable. It's still argueable if its development or not since I think every piece of coding is part of developing, even if it's done under the hood.

7 minutes ago, Shishiaha said:

Alpha back, game was already responsive.

I think it was way clunkier (?) than it's right now.

Maybe it's true, development has been too slow, maybe the huge increase in players was a double edged sword and BSG is way over their head. Hope BSG invest a tiny fraction of all that money in hiring more and better devs.

Game has improved, but not as fast as we would like, and that's something we can probably agree on. 

Shishiaha
Posted (edited)

I never saw so much cheaters in one game. It's even worst than it was right now. The banned ones by BSG was just those with no updated version of their cheat, the dumb ones or those who does not care. So just a little fraction. Blackmarket of items and rub are not helping.

It's really a game killer now, with new in-raid policy, matching forever, lagging on blackscreen and loading after game, the fun is gone, never looked that much at my ceiling.

Edited by Shishiaha

Kivlov

Having been playing since August 2017.

I do miss the days where ammo generally didnt matter, there were only 2 body armors in the game and most people rarely had a helmet. I miss the days where weapons were mostly scavenged and not the highest tech available. I miss when meds werent so expensive and being able to instant reload magazines made using high ROF smgs fun to use.

I miss when quests werent so vital in order to level up, or to get access to basic gear. I miss when you actually got a decent choice of options for items at level 1.

I can't speak for the servers and such, but I definitely feel like after every wipe the game gets twice as hard with gameplay elements designed to be tedious and give more and more penalties to dying and being not the best player.

The only up side is that I feel like I am getting much better frames this patch which has lead to much more fun fights. Its just the whole found in raid changes really ruin any fun I have trying to complete quests. I play a lot and even still I have only reached level 40+ 2 or 3 times. Got the Epsilon once ever, and never had Kappa, even though I feel I play hundreds of hours.

I feel like the little man just gets dealt the bad hand with the game these days like with out of raid healing, further punishments for dying. The only decent attachments being nerfed or tripled in price value. I try to still have my fun just running pistols and budget gear, but I haven't for a long time felt like I should invest any money in to my gear when I feel like it never helps me out anymore.