new ping limit goes too far

the new ping limit being at 180ms i really really do believe is a huge hinderance to the game as a whole. 250-300 is where the realm of max ping should ALWAYS be at, because going past that oversteps the bounds and essentially region-locks the game for no real benefit. maybe for some people it's not a problem, but if i'm having troubles playing with my international friends, or having troubles finding matches since i'm playing off-peak hours, i'm now unable to play this game. i understand that this game is in beta, but that really shouldn't mean developers should take this type of action to combat this type of issue.

i do believe the cap needs to be in place, but the lower you go, the worse of an impact it has, and rn its way too far. packet loss kicks already deal with lagswitchers, and if theres an issue with ping this low, its a netcode issue, not a ping issue. i really hope people will at least consider getting the devs to raise the ping limit way back up, since playing it with international friends rn is a dream.

thanks,

aytoms

• Like 6
  • Hot 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Upvote 1

Apparently the ping limit has been lowered further to 150.

After everyone coming out on the forums saying they can't play the game anymore, myself included. They repay us legitimate players by lowering the ping limit so even less people can play the game.

I wouldn't mind if I couldn't play with friends across the world, but it has become an issue when I can't play the game on any server.

Thanks BSG.

• Like 2

No matter how much we complain they don’t care or they think complaining is only short lived and players will forget it in long run.

In anyway right now it sucks because of this ping that truth won’t change

My pmc is totally unplayable since i keep on having 200+ ping on every raid game keeps on kicking me out even on 80+ping server while im on scav i have 70 ping all raids. 

ever since the wipe I've been effectively locked out of EFT. getting kicked out of almost every raid due to high ping when the closest server to me (middle east) is 160+ ping.

I just want to play the game :(

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
Fourthbeam

I quit Tarkov a while ago now because of Ping Limits, but I check back every month or two to see if they removed Ping Limits. All my friends play in NA/EU. Without my friends, I don't want to play. I've owned the game 4 years and I own EOD, why exactly is the Ping Limit affecting me? Why can't the Ping Limit only be active for accounts without EOD or accounts less than 2 years old, etc?

• Upvote 2
Bongosolos
20 hours ago, Fourthbeam said:

I quit Tarkov a while ago now because of Ping Limits, but I check back every month or two to see if they removed Ping Limits. All my friends play in NA/EU. Without my friends, I don't want to play. I've owned the game 4 years and I own EOD, why exactly is the Ping Limit affecting me? Why can't the Ping Limit only be active for accounts without EOD or accounts less than 2 years old, etc?

I am exactly the same, if I cannot play with my friends who they or I would be getting 160-180 ping, I simply will not play at all. What is the point? I do not enjoy this game as a solo. So until I can enjoy the game again like I used to, with the friends I used to play with, I cannot see any reason to continue playing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
Fourthbeam
1 minute ago, Bongosolos said:

I am exactly the same, if I cannot play with my friends who they or I would be getting 160-180 ping, I simply will not play at all. What is the point? I do not enjoy this game as a solo. So until I can enjoy the game again like I used to, with the friends I used to play with, I cannot see any reason to continue playing.

Glad I'm not the only one @Bongosolos!

• Upvote 1
YeetDatSkeet
On 6/14/2020 at 8:10 AM, Tefios said:

ever since the wipe I've been effectively locked out of EFT. getting kicked out of almost every raid due to high ping when the closest server to me (middle east) is 160+ ping.

I just want to play the game :(

Im having the same issue my friend, unfortunately the closest server to me is Italy, and its still 130-150 on a good day hahaha

It may be unpopular opinion, but I am for ping limits - ideally under 100ms. I don't even understand how can anybody expect to play online game with 100ms+ ping limit. People are crying about input lag and other variables ant that is 10-30ms, yet somebody comes around and says that ping limit should be ~300ms?! What kid of experience is that?! So if I have 300ms, you have 300ms and the server side 100ms... we are talking 0.7s delay! That is not playable. Now consider this - normal human jogging speed is ~6mph that is 2.6m/s meaning that with 0.7s delay your enemy will be 2 metres in front from where you shooting + lead time... at this point aiming becomes thing of magic and not skill.

Sorry, but if you don't have internet with at very least 100ms you should not be playing online games. Fair enough, perhaps BGS should state that when you buy the games and in the conditions, but in other hand they already say you need internet connection - that for normal person means "internet connection which is reasonable for online gaming". If you have 300ms to the best server then sorry, that is not reasonable. The server with highest pin I have selected is 23ms, there are few more ~27ms, but I don't use them just in case ping goes above 30ms... and you here talking about 300ms.

Finally, don't forget that your ping not only adversely impact you, it as well adversely impacts other players as well and although EFT netcode is trash at the moment, with 300ms pings it is literally impossible to make netcode work and keep the game playable. So it is one thing to blame developers for not fixing netcode (which definitely needs fixing) and completely another is to ask them to do impossible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
On 6/13/2020 at 8:51 AM, Forby said:

Apparently the ping limit has been lowered further to 150.

After everyone coming out on the forums saying they can't play the game anymore, myself included. They repay us legitimate players by lowering the ping limit so even less people can play the game.

I wouldn't mind if I couldn't play with friends across the world, but it has become an issue when I can't play the game on any server.

Thanks BSG.

i can play on EU servers from Western Canada, and my internet is super, i get a ping across NA of 50 EU is sitting in the late 90's to 100ms so i'm unsure why you cant play overseas

22 hours ago, afgan_ said:

It may be unpopular opinion, but I am for ping limits - ideally under 100ms. I don't even understand how can anybody expect to play online game with 100ms+ ping limit. People are crying about input lag and other variables ant that is 10-30ms, yet somebody comes around and says that ping limit should be ~300ms?! What kid of experience is that?! So if I have 300ms, you have 300ms and the server side 100ms... we are talking 0.7s delay! That is not playable. Now consider this - normal human jogging speed is ~6mph that is 2.6m/s meaning that with 0.7s delay your enemy will be 2 metres in front from where you shooting + lead time... at this point aiming becomes thing of magic and not skill.

Sorry, but if you don't have internet with at very least 100ms you should not be playing online games. Fair enough, perhaps BGS should state that when you buy the games and in the conditions, but in other hand they already say you need internet connection - that for normal person means "internet connection which is reasonable for online gaming". If you have 300ms to the best server then sorry, that is not reasonable. The server with highest pin I have selected is 23ms, there are few more ~27ms, but I don't use them just in case ping goes above 30ms... and you here talking about 300ms.

Finally, don't forget that your ping not only adversely impact you, it as well adversely impacts other players as well and although EFT netcode is trash at the moment, with 300ms pings it is literally impossible to make netcode work and keep the game playable. So it is one thing to blame developers for not fixing netcode (which definitely needs fixing) and completely another is to ask them to do impossible.

It is a stupid opinion. Not an unpopular one. Some of us have friends overseas that we actually want to play with and this ping limit f**** us in regards to that. I only bought this game to play with my friends from Canada and now I cant anymore. Yay they give us a server in South Africa, 8/10 raids there are no other players on the servers so it's just no fun and you cant complete any pmc kill quests. So your opinion dear sir, is not unpopular, it's just flat out stupid, just because you do not have friends to play with overseas, does not mean the rest of us don't. So please, in future, if you don't have a valid point to make, just don't make one.

• Sad 1
47 minutes ago, jwick2007 said:

It is a stupid opinion. Not an unpopular one. Some of us have friends overseas that we actually want to play with and this ping limit f**** us in regards to that. I only bought this game to play with my friends from Canada and now I cant anymore. Yay they give us a server in South Africa, 8/10 raids there are no other players on the servers so it's just no fun and you cant complete any pmc kill quests. So your opinion dear sir, is not unpopular, it's just flat out stupid, just because you do not have friends to play with overseas, does not mean the rest of us don't. So please, in future, if you don't have a valid point to make, just don't make one.

I understand your situation, but that doesn't mean you can went your frustration on me. That you live in South Africa and your friends live in Canada that is your problem, not mine and not BSGs. Your argument is equal to - my friend has potato PC which crashes and I have potato PC which crashes and I only bought EFT to play with my friend, but I can't because nether of us have decent enough PCs to play it... yeah so what - that is your problem. Maybe in perfect world where network exists between South Africa and Canada with 1ms ping it would be possible for you to play together (maybe in perfect world EFT will run on potato PC), but not in this reality, not in this time and not in this world. Sadly what you are trying to do is impossible with technology which exists at the moment and you blaming game and it's developers because they not making impossible. I actually do play with my friends across the Europe, some in UK, some in Lithuania and some in Spain - all reachable ~withing 30-40ms and this is not ideal, but that is something possible. The netcode can accommodate for 30-40ms and the game can still be playable, but netcode cannot accommodate for 300ms and this is not something to do with coding or net-code design. Simply 300ms is time period which is clearly noticeable for humans and which equally is far too long for any sort of competitive shooting, if you played snail simulator maybe that would not matter too much, but considering the target movements speed with delay you are suggesting is not possible to do.

The final point you missing - EFT is not duking CS, it is not point shooter lazer beam weapons without drop or any physics (basically you hit where you aim instantly). Even in much simpler game without much going on 300ms would be uncomfortable experience, but much easier to be done, because the only thing netcode need to calculate is where you were aiming when you shot, then accommodate whatever is the latency and spit out hit or miss. EFT is not simple by a long shot, different bullets have different speeds, with different drops, different armour have different chances of stopping them etc. so where in CS it is more [your position + your ping +angle of your aim+enemy position +enemy ping] in EFT is much more complex [your position + your ping +angle of your aim +enemy position +bullet travel time(speed (*mods) vs distance) +enemy ping if=hit, then +enemy hitbox + enemy armour  +current hitpoints (if=penetrate, then -ammo damage +current health), else + enemy armour  +current hitpoints - ammo damage]... and I am just on the surface of it, you have damage modifying stims, you have various types of covers and so on. This is why you sometimes you shoot somebody in the head, see blood splatter, but they won't die, as well sometimes you should an miss and you somebody die and sometimes you shoot person in one place and find their body 5 metres further behind the corner, because the damage takes so long to calculate. I could speculate some of these calculations needs to be synchronised in real time so you ping may multiply further. So even with <30ms ping there are still-often issue and you saying we should allow for 300ms and then call my opinion stupid, no it is not, but you are simply ignorant.

True - BSG here created nearly impossible task for themselves already even assuming there are no ping to compensate for. It maybe possible to solve it with unlimited computing power, but they only have what makes commercial sense. So the only solution is to limit ping it what is more or less manageable.

I have long said there is solution for this and that is co-op mode and "offline" quest line - for people who have reasonable internet, they can quest online, for those who don't they can co-op and play with friends and quest offline.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
16 hours ago, Fourthbeam said:

Ping Limit ruined the game for myself and a few of my friends. Had over 1k hours played, now I can't play period.

But would it be true to say, that you simply don't have reasonable enough internet to play online (or on server you wish to use)?

In which case why you feel that everyone should suffer from teleporting "laggers" and bullet sponges with no hitreg, just so you can play with your fiends using internet connection which is not acceptable for reasonable online experience?

You can obviously tell that the 200 ping players are the cause of all the hitreg and lag issues given the fact that since they can't play anymore EFT is soooooooo stable and there are no more desync issues and players dont warp around and everyone's bullets go where they shoot and theres no hackers any more.

On 9/1/2020 at 3:23 PM, afgan_ said:

But would it be true to say, that you simply don't have reasonable enough internet to play online (or on server you wish to use)?

In which case why you feel that everyone should suffer from teleporting "laggers" and bullet sponges with no hitreg, just so you can play with your fiends using internet connection which is not acceptable for reasonable online experience?

While your stament might ring some truth 30-40 ping is absolute unreasonable by current standards. Online gaming connects people from around the world and with current tech that kind of low ping is just not reached by anyone. I live in Finland and get 80 ping in my capitals EFT server. You are also overexaggregating ping problems. They shouldnt really be a big problem until you start reaching 250ms. Not only that but it is completely ludicrous to think everyone can have a ping like that.There is a reason why no one else has set a limit ping that low and it is because it is just completely stupid to think your game would have evolved this much with that limit when their servers are even more unreliable. If something happens it is usually on their end.

• Upvote 1
On 8/31/2020 at 8:59 PM, afgan_ said:

I understand your situation, but that doesn't mean you can went your frustration on me. That you live in South Africa and your friends live in Canada that is your problem, not mine and not BSGs. Your argument is equal to - my friend has potato PC which crashes and I have potato PC which crashes and I only bought EFT to play with my friend, but I can't because nether of us have decent enough PCs to play it... yeah so what - that is your problem. Maybe in perfect world where network exists between South Africa and Canada with 1ms ping it would be possible for you to play together (maybe in perfect world EFT will run on potato PC), but not in this reality, not in this time and not in this world. Sadly what you are trying to do is impossible with technology which exists at the moment and you blaming game and it's developers because they not making impossible. I actually do play with my friends across the Europe, some in UK, some in Lithuania and some in Spain - all reachable ~withing 30-40ms and this is not ideal, but that is something possible. The netcode can accommodate for 30-40ms and the game can still be playable, but netcode cannot accommodate for 300ms and this is not something to do with coding or net-code design. Simply 300ms is time period which is clearly noticeable for humans and which equally is far too long for any sort of competitive shooting, if you played snail simulator maybe that would not matter too much, but considering the target movements speed with delay you are suggesting is not possible to do.

The final point you missing - EFT is not duking CS, it is not point shooter lazer beam weapons without drop or any physics (basically you hit where you aim instantly). Even in much simpler game without much going on 300ms would be uncomfortable experience, but much easier to be done, because the only thing netcode need to calculate is where you were aiming when you shot, then accommodate whatever is the latency and spit out hit or miss. EFT is not simple by a long shot, different bullets have different speeds, with different drops, different armour have different chances of stopping them etc. so where in CS it is more [your position + your ping +angle of your aim+enemy position +enemy ping] in EFT is much more complex [your position + your ping +angle of your aim +enemy position +bullet travel time(speed (*mods) vs distance) +enemy ping if=hit, then +enemy hitbox + enemy armour  +current hitpoints (if=penetrate, then -ammo damage +current health), else + enemy armour  +current hitpoints - ammo damage]... and I am just on the surface of it, you have damage modifying stims, you have various types of covers and so on. This is why you sometimes you shoot somebody in the head, see blood splatter, but they won't die, as well sometimes you should an miss and you somebody die and sometimes you shoot person in one place and find their body 5 metres further behind the corner, because the damage takes so long to calculate. I could speculate some of these calculations needs to be synchronised in real time so you ping may multiply further. So even with <30ms ping there are still-often issue and you saying we should allow for 300ms and then call my opinion stupid, no it is not, but you are simply ignorant.

True - BSG here created nearly impossible task for themselves already even assuming there are no ping to compensate for. It maybe possible to solve it with unlimited computing power, but they only have what makes commercial sense. So the only solution is to limit ping it what is more or less manageable.

I have long said there is solution for this and that is co-op mode and "offline" quest line - for people who have reasonable internet, they can quest online, for those who don't they can co-op and play with friends and quest offline.

I wouldn't say your opinion is unpopular at all, there is a reason BSG added a ping limit in the first place. Many people such as yourself have issues with high ping players. However, it's pretty selfish to disregard thousands of players who have paid full price for a game they cannot even play anymore. Easy for you to say "That is your problem" since you have a stable connection, however that is not the case for many customers who live in areas that are far from the current servers. I am forced to play in Asian servers since I'm living in Thailand. Cannot play with any of my friends from back home in the US, but thankfully I have fiber optic and can connect to servers in my region. I'm one of the lucky ones. There are others I know in Vietnam and Philippines who can barely play the game though due to constant ping kicks, no matter what server they pick. I think they need to add Global Servers or various servers in the same regions, with and without ping limits. That way those who blame ping for deaths can't complain since they can play with a ping limit, and those in rural areas or with unstable connections can play without the limit. There will obviously be more hackers on servers with no ping limits, but at least everyone will be able to play again! That's the only solution I can think of that would benefit all players.

DEVINSTAYLIFTED

I moved to a rural desert location and now depend on hotspot internet 13Mb Download and  27Mb Upload speeds now in everygame ping goes above 200 then i get kicked can't play a $140 game now! this is the only game i have issues with BTW.

I also cant stay connected starting last weeks patch. Really pissed off. Love the game, willing to endure all the bullshit but AT LEAST LET ME PLAY! I mean damn. Cant connect or stay connected at all!?!? really? Spent hours trying to resolve but apparently i cant resolve it. I live within 30 miles of my server area, has the fastest internet available and a 3month old pc. Was hoping todays patch would fix but nope. Guess I gotta find a new game. I guess lower the ping req stops alot of the traffic on the servers and buys them time. I dont know but i really wish I could play

• Like 1

I travel for a living so 99% of the time I can stay connected long enough to spawn in then bam disconnected. Depending on where I am at that week my ping will be a steady 30 then spike and offline I go in the middle of a road somewhere. Yesterday I was in Denver and connected to the Denver server... 110 - 180 ping. In the same town as the server and cant even get it to work.

BanditMaka
23 minutes ago, Batwingsix said:

I travel for a living so 99% of the time I can stay connected long enough to spawn in then bam disconnected. Depending on where I am at that week my ping will be a steady 30 then spike and offline I go in the middle of a road somewhere. Yesterday I was in Denver and connected to the Denver server... 110 - 180 ping. In the same town as the server and cant even get it to work.

Dude, people keep making the joke that the Denver sever ain't even in Denver. There's just no way. Ping is crazy. 😂