Upgrading GPU vs CPU for better Tarkov performance

Specs: 

Intel i5-6600 @ 3.30Ghz

16gb Ram (DDR4)

GTX 970 SSC 

500 Gb SSD (I forget the model)

So I've been doing some research over the last few days, and what I've found is that I have no idea if I should upgrade my CPU first or my GPU first. Both are honestly pretty dated at this point and I do plan on upgrading both, the only issue is that I'm confused on which I should upgrade first. The Ryzen 5 3600 looks pretty attractive, but I would need to get a new motherboard along with it (which is fine). And in terms of GPU's, the 1660 ti is looking pretty prime as well. 

TLDR:

If y'all could look at my specs and spitball me an idea on whether I should upgrade my CPU or GPU first you would be helping me out BIG TIME! 

1 hour ago, Fireman3000 said:

Better create a survey :)

GPU

Oh yeah, that'd prolly would've been smarter 😆. I was looking at snagging a 1660 ti, you think that would give a solid boost?

1 hour ago, Thormato said:

I dont think you need a better cpu if you only use it for EFT

Well thats good to know. The only other game that I have poor performance in is Arma, but Arma is faily playable at 30 ish fps so im okay for now.

TUALMASOK

With those specs I'd be going GPU over CPU, but 1660ti is pretty low range. It will give you a boost over what you already have, but it won't be 60FPS on high.

Overkill_Reaper

I’d definitely recommend AMD Ryzen next time you decide to upgrade cpu. With that being said, I’d get a gpu upgrade as that’s your biggest weakness imo. 

Edited by Overkill_Reaper
1 hour ago, Overkill_Reaper said:

I’d definitely recommend AMD Ryzen next time you decide to upgrade cpu. With that being said, I’d get a gpu upgrade as that’s your biggest weakness imo. 

A ryzen isn't going to help you for games.  If you do other stuff on your computer that can leverage multiple cores, then a Ryzen would help.  But for most games, 6 - 8 cores is more than enough.  Tarkov is made in Unity which is especially geared toward single processor speed.  There are really only 3 threads of execution in Unity.  One is the main thread, one is for the UI, and the other is for raycasting.  As all processors these days are virtualized, that's 1.5 cores needed to play.  You want high clock speed, not more cores.  In this department, Intel is generally better, but you pay for it.

Maki_Nishikino

The 1660 Ti is a good bang for your buck card, offers roughly 1070 performance (I have a 1070 myself). 60 FPS at 1080p with the settings bump up is really no issue. CPU wise I have an i7-8700.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino
2 hours ago, TUALMASOK said:

With those specs I'd be going GPU over CPU, but 1660ti is pretty low range. It will give you a boost over what you already have, but it won't be 60FPS on high.

Okay, thats really good to know, do you think that a 2080 choice instead? I have roughly 500-550 bucks to work with if that helps narrow it down at all.

Aazatgrabya

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go down a GPU route.  It'll not just help Tarkov but other games too.  2nd hand GPU's are everywhere and are always going down in price.

Saying that, Tarkov is a special beast and it swallows up your CPU.  A Processor upgrade may well be the most expensive option as you may well find yourself upgrading your motherboard and memory along with the CPU and in my experience 2nd hand here can be a real headache.  Grab yourself a GPU you can justify the cost for and start saving for your next real PC upgrade as you can.

Just now, Maki_Nishikino said:

The 1660 Ti is a good bang for your buck card, offers roughly 1070 performance (I have a 1070 myself). 60 FPS at 1080p with the settings bump up is really no issue. CPU wise I have an i7-8700.

My main goal is to maintain a steady 60 fps a, I honestly could care less at the settings if I can get a smoother experience. This may be a difficult goal considering how jank Tarkov can be at times, but I am honestly sick of stutters and hard FPS drops during PVP. So do you think I could achieve that with a solid GPU upgrade? Or do you think I would need to upgrade my CPU down the line (Something I am very willing to do, soon ish).

Just now, Aazatgrabya said:

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go down a GPU route.  It'll not just help Tarkov but other games too.  2nd hand GPU's are everywhere and are always going down in price.

Saying that, Tarkov is a special beast and it swallows up your CPU.  A Processor upgrade may well be the most expensive option as you may well find yourself upgrading your motherboard and memory along with the CPU and in my experience 2nd hand here can be a real headache.  Grab yourself a GPU you can justify the cost for and start saving for your next real PC upgrade as you can.

Taking in the brief research I have done, I agree with what you're saying. My only question know is how much of a GPU upgrade I should do at this point?

1 hour ago, Overkill_Reaper said:

Yea I was thinking of getting a Ryzen 5 3600, a new mobo and some new DDR4 ram to go along with it. Thanks for your input man, it really helps me figure all of this stuff out 😁

• Like 1

A 1660 Ti is enough for EFT. A 2080 with an i5-6600 doesn't make much sense, a huge bottleneck.

Yeah I was worried about the bottleneck. the 1660 ti is looking like the best bet, but I'm prolly gonna do some more research before I pul the trigger. TBH I might have enough to get a ryzen 5 3600, a new mobo, new ram, and the 1660 TI, but I might have to double check.

Edited by GSutt

Not sure if you mentioned this yet but its really important:  what resolution is your monitor?  Whats the refresh?

Edited by Bjason1
Aazatgrabya

Wow, which GPU?  Best you can afford.  I am really lucky, I have a fantastic rig for work, i9 and 2 x RTX2080TI.  I'm not showing off, it's just that even on a 1440 screen I can play everything at full graphics but only supersample at x1 (you would have thought I could just ram everything to max).  So yes, I do occasionally get FPS over 100 but it often goes down to 55-60 in busy scenes.  So you can see even if money was no object you may not get the bang for buck.

Now I'm not on their dev team so I cannot guide you on specifics but certainly the CPU is a big factor in this game.  Saying that, if you want to keep a 60FPS minimum I would suggest you'll want a minimum of a GTX-1080 (TI if you can) but you'll likely still keep most settings at minimum or around it.  Then work on getting your CPU clocks as high as possible while being stable.  As I say, this may need some significant financial investment though.

Just now, Bjason1 said:

Not sure if you mentioned this yet but its really important:  what resolution is your monitor?  Whats the refresh?

Mine can go up to 144Hz and 1920x1080

Just now, Bjason1 said:

At 1080p a gtx 1080 will carry you to 100+ fps

well dang, that sounds like heaven haha

Just now, Aazatgrabya said:

Wow, which GPU?  Best you can afford.  I am really lucky, I have a fantastic rig for work, i9 and 2 x RTX2080TI.  I'm not showing off, it's just that even on a 1440 screen I can play everything at full graphics but only supersample at x1 (you would have thought I could just ram everything to max).  So yes, I do occasionally get FPS over 100 but it often goes down to 55-60 in busy scenes.  So you can see even if money was no object you may not get the bang for buck.

Now I'm not on their dev team so I cannot guide you on specifics but certainly the CPU is a big factor in this game.  Saying that, if you want to keep a 60FPS minimum I would suggest you'll want a minimum of a GTX-1080 (TI if you can) but you'll likely still keep most settings at minimum or around it.  Then work on getting your CPU clocks as high as possible while being stable.  As I say, this may need some significant financial investment though.

60FPS minimum might be too ambitous of a goal, but I just want the game to be a lot smoother than what im currently experiencing. Very nice rig btw man, glad some of us are blessed haha

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, GSutt said:

well dang, that sounds like heaven haha

60FPS minimum might be too ambitous of a goal, but I just want the game to be a lot smoother than what im currently experiencing. Very nice rig btw man, glad some of us are blessed haha

Most of the comments in this thread are targeted to 1440p res monitors with 144hz.  You really don't need a huge card for 1080p.

Just now, Bjason1 said:

Most of the comments in this thread are targeted to 1440p res monitors with 144hz.  You really don't need a huge card for 1080p.

Well thats good to know. So are we talking a 1660 kinda card or something beefier?

Maki_Nishikino

Even the 980 Ti / 1060 6 GB is enough for EFT for 1080p, would not buy them near MSRP though.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino

Even the 980 Ti / 1060 6 GB is enough for EFT for 1080p, would not buy them near MSRP though.

Sounds like the 1660 Ti is the best bet then. Thanks for educating my ignorant self, I really do appreciate it :)

Maki_Nishikino

You're running at 1080p / 60Hz correct? I don't know what exactly that CPU can do but GPU wise at 1080p / 60Hz a goal of 60 FPS is a cake walk with a 1660 Ti.

EDIT: I see 144Hz now.

Edited by Maki_Nishikino